PDA

View Full Version : Experience is everything

Brian G
July 2nd 05, 07:53 PM
I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(
--
Brian G

wafflycat
July 2nd 05, 07:56 PM
"Brian G" > wrote in message
>I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a new
>rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong way
>round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage at all
>:-(

I have a personal bike mechanic with a young apprentice :-)

Cheers, helen s

Zog The Undeniable
July 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
Brian G wrote:
> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
> new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
> way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
> at all :-(

What, you put the tread on the inside and the canvas on the outside?

Directional bike tyres are a load of marketing tripe, unless we're
talking MTB knobblies here.

Chris
July 2nd 05, 08:03 PM
Brian G wrote:
> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
> new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
> way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
> at all :-(
> --
> Brian G

LOL - that's weird - I did the very same thing this afternoon. Given
that the tyre in question has minimal tread of (probably) < 1mm depth,
I was left with the feeling "does it really matter?", so I left it. When
I spin off at the next wet-weather bend, I'll know the truth I guess...

--
Chris

vernon
July 2nd 05, 08:17 PM
> What, you put the tread on the inside and the canvas on the outside?

Nah, I reckon he put it on upside down.

> Directional bike tyres are a load of marketing tripe, unless we're
> talking MTB knobblies here.

I used to worry about the direction of the tyres rotation until I
discovered
that I'd inadvertantly ridden one 'back to front' for six months without
any discernable affects.

I never used to worry about the orientation of the tyres when I was a
teenager
and wondered what was spcial about the construction of the tyres to warrant
an orientation arrow. I doubt that it's to make sure that the tread
disperses more
water in wet conditions.

Vernon

Zog The Undeniable
July 2nd 05, 08:21 PM
Pete Biggs wrote:

> Riding a bicycle with a tyre label on the left is an arrestable offence,
> you know.

I have a rear wheel laced with the Mavic label facing left. I am
rebuilding it this week - oh, the shame.

Pete Biggs
July 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Brian G wrote:
>> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and
>> fitted a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently -
>> and the wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
>> youngsters manage at all :-(
>
> What, you put the tread on the inside and the canvas on the outside?
>
> Directional bike tyres are a load of marketing tripe, unless we're
> talking MTB knobblies here.

Riding a bicycle with a tyre label on the left is an arrestable offence,
you know.

~PB

elyob
July 2nd 05, 08:31 PM
"Chris" > wrote in message
> Brian G wrote:
>> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
>> new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
>> way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
>> at all :-(
>> --
>> Brian G
>
> LOL - that's weird - I did the very same thing this afternoon. Given that
> the tyre in question has minimal tread of (probably) < 1mm depth, I was
> left with the feeling "does it really matter?", so I left it. When I spin
> off at the next wet-weather bend, I'll know the truth I guess...

You should have bought a new tyre with some real grip on it?

Peewiglet
July 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:53:02 +0100, Brian G >
wrote:

>I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
>new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
>way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
>at all :-(

Uh-oh.... and there was me hoping to learn how to mend a puncture...!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Tony W
July 2nd 05, 08:38 PM
"Brian G" > wrote in message
> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
> new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
> way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
> at all :-(

You did it quickly and efficiently -- that's the difference!!

;~)

Jo
July 2nd 05, 08:44 PM
"wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message

> "Brian G" > wrote in message
> >I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new
> >rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong way
> >round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage at
all
> >:-(
>
> I have a personal bike mechanic with a young apprentice :-)
>
> Cheers, helen s

And I have a personal bike mechanic (son)with an older apprentice! (husband)
Jo

the.Mark
July 2nd 05, 10:05 PM
Brian G > wrote:
> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted
> a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the
> wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
> youngsters manage at all :-(

I always fit new tyres twice, the first time is always the wrong way round,
I'm just too impatient to read instructions.
--
the.Mark

the.Mark
July 2nd 05, 10:11 PM
Pete Biggs > wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>> Brian G wrote:
>>> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and
>>> fitted a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently -
>>> and the wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
>>> youngsters manage at all :-(
>>
>> What, you put the tread on the inside and the canvas on the outside?
>>
>> Directional bike tyres are a load of marketing tripe, unless we're
>> talking MTB knobblies here.
>
> Riding a bicycle with a tyre label on the left is an arrestable
> offence, you know.
>
> ~PB

Especially if it is for an MTB. I put a nobbly on wrong way round and the
road noise [1] was quite considerable.
--
the.Mark
[1] I needed to be on the road, it was in between my house and the hills.

Nick Kew
July 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
Brian G wrote:
> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
> new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
> way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
> at all :-(

Yep. Your experience tells. With just a little over half your
experience, I wouldn't have noticed that little mistake.

--
Nick Kew

Chris
July 2nd 05, 10:30 PM
elyob wrote:

> You should have bought a new tyre with some real grip on it?

Probably, but they were Gatorskins and they looked *so* cool on the
shelf, so I thought I'd give them a try. As a slow pokin' Lard-Arse I
doubt any amount of tread or slick will help my cause!

--
Chris

Tim Downie
July 2nd 05, 10:39 PM
Brian G wrote:
> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted
> a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the
> wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
> youngsters manage at all :-(

There's a right way round??

Tim

Clive George
July 2nd 05, 11:05 PM
"Tim Downie" > wrote in message
> Brian G wrote:
>> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted
>> a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the
>> wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
>> youngsters manage at all :-(
>
> There's a right way round??

Tread on the outside..

cheers,
clive

Tim Hall
July 2nd 05, 11:49 PM
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:21:01 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
> wrote:

>Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> Riding a bicycle with a tyre label on the left is an arrestable offence,
>> you know.
>
>I have a rear wheel laced with the Mavic label facing left. I am
>rebuilding it this week - oh, the shame.

Can't you just ride in the other direction?

Tim

Brian G
July 3rd 05, 09:10 AM
Tim Downie wrote:
> Brian G wrote:
>
>>I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted
>>a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the
>>wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
>>youngsters manage at all :-(
>

> There's a right way round??

The gospel according to Sheldon:

Most good bicyle mechanics pay attention to the orientation of labels.
The most usual custom for tires is to locate the label right at the
valve, facing to the right. Some justify this on the grounds that having
a standard tire mounting orientation can make it easier to find a thorn
or glass sliver in a tire, once the hole has been located in the
(removed) tube. While there's an element of truth to this, placing the
label consistently is really more about pride of workmanship and
attention to detail.

--
Brian G

Zog The Undeniable
July 3rd 05, 01:11 PM
Brian G wrote:

> Most good bicyle mechanics pay attention to the orientation of labels.
> The most usual custom for tires is to locate the label right at the
> valve, facing to the right.

And the rim label should also face the right, and the hub label (if
there is one) should be readable through the rim's valve hole. Tip for
the latter; when building a 3x wheel, the first spoke you insert (which
goes next to the valve) should be in the 4th hub hole from the label.
For a 2x wheel try 3 hub holes away from the label, and for a radial
wheel it's obvious.

Mark McNeill
July 3rd 05, 02:13 PM
Response to Zog The Undeniable:
> the hub label (if
> there is one) should be readable through the rim's valve hole. Tip for
> the latter; when building a 3x wheel, the first spoke you insert (which
> goes next to the valve) should be in the 4th hub hole from the label.
> For a 2x wheel try 3 hub holes away from the label, and for a radial
> wheel it's obvious.

Or if the label's a sticky, peel it off and restick it opposite the valve
hole!

I've been wondering for a while if I really am anal enough to do that
with the old wheels on my commuting bike.

--
Mark, UK

"Nothing sets a person up more than having something turn out just the
way it's supposed to be, like falling into a Swiss snowdrift and seeing a
big dog come up with a little cask of brandy round its neck."

Tony Raven
July 3rd 05, 02:21 PM
Mark McNeill wrote:

> I've been wondering for a while if I really am anal enough to do that
> with the old wheels on my commuting bike.

Go on, stay a rebel living on the wild side!

--
Tony

Anon

Mark McNeill
July 3rd 05, 02:25 PM
Response to Tony Raven:
> Go on, stay a rebel living on the wild side!

LOL! Nah, that's what the teddy-bear bell is for.

--
Mark, UK

"We go on a journey to be free of all impediments; to leave ourselves
behind much more than to get rid of others."

Simon Brooke
July 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
in message >, Tim Downie
') wrote:

> Brian G wrote:
>> I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted
>> a new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the
>> wrong way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced
>> youngsters manage at all :-(
>
> There's a right way round??

Depends on the tyreset. Mind you, since most tyres are sold as
non-specific front or rear, and the demands on the front tyre are quite
radically different from those on the back, it's obvious that bicycle
tyre technology is not that advanced. After all a back tyre has to
resist torque mainly under acceleration, and a front mainly under
braking, so if the tyre resists torque better one way than the other it
should go one way on the front and the other on the rear (as some MTB
tyres in fact do).

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

James Annan
July 3rd 05, 10:35 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> tyreset

ROFL!

(that's "rolling on the floorset laughing")
--
James Annan
see web pageset for email

Jon Senior
July 3rd 05, 11:59 PM
James Annan wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> tyreset
>

> ROFL!
>
> (that's "rolling on the floorset laughing")

Well... what else would you use the tyreleverset for?

Jon

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home