PDA

View Full Version : chainring

John Pitcock
July 8th 05, 11:19 AM
Where is a good place to buy a replacement 36 tooth middle chainring for my
Shimano Exage chainset?

What do I need to specify to ensure I get the correct one?

(There's so many combinations of sizes etc shops don't stock them all).

Birmingham

MSeries
July 8th 05, 12:01 PM
John Pitcock (nospam) wrote:
> Where is a good place to buy a replacement 36 tooth middle chainring formy
> Shimano Exage chainset?
>
> What do I need to specify to ensure I get the correct one?
>
> (There's so many combinations of sizes etc shops don't stock them all).
>
> Birmingham

You need to knwo the PCD or BCD (samae thing) its the distance of the
circle that the bolt holes lie on. Might be 110mm, might be more or
less (my 1986 Deore is 74 and 110mm). Count the number of bolts or arms
too. Then contact somewhere like Settle Cycles or Spa Cycles they have
loads of these. I just got a 48T for my old Deore chainset from Settle
for £15.

Buck
July 8th 05, 12:17 PM
On 07/08/2005 11:19:31 "John Pitcock" > wrote:

> Where is a good place to buy a replacement 36 tooth middle chainring for
> my Shimano Exage chainset?

> What do I need to specify to ensure I get the correct one?

> (There's so many combinations of sizes etc shops don't stock them all).

> Birmingham

You should pay about £26 for one if you go with TA, I think they make
one to suit.
--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

m-gineering
July 8th 05, 12:31 PM
MSeries wrote:

> John Pitcock (nospam) wrote:
> > Where is a good place to buy a replacement 36 tooth middle chainring for my
> > Shimano Exage chainset?
> >
> > What do I need to specify to ensure I get the correct one?
> >
> > (There's so many combinations of sizes etc shops don't stock them all).
> >
> > Birmingham
>
> You need to knwo the PCD or BCD (samae thing) its the distance of the
> circle that the bolt holes lie on. Might be 110mm, might be more or
> less (my 1986 Deore is 74 and 110mm). Count the number of bolts or arms
> too. Then contact somewhere like Settle Cycles or Spa Cycles they have
> loads of these. I just got a 48T for my old Deore chainset from Settle
> for £15.

Sound advice if you're dealing with middle to highend stuff which Exage
isn't. In the bottom of the range Shimano cranksets you have to be very
weary of stamped chainwheels with offset, chainwheels which mount to the
other chainring and rivited constructions. With those it is often
cheaper to replace the crankset.

I don't know if there was a proper Exage triple, but it could be one
borrowed from RSX. The typedesignation (FC-?????) on the back of the
crank should help)
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Sebastian Weetabix
July 8th 05, 03:37 PM

> Sound advice if you're dealing with middle to highend stuff which Exage
> isn't. In the bottom of the range Shimano cranksets you have to be very
> weary of stamped chainwheels with offset, chainwheels which mount to the
> other chainring and rivited constructions. With those it is often
> cheaper to replace the crankset.
>
> I don't know if there was a proper Exage triple, but it could be one
> borrowed from RSX. The typedesignation (FC-?????) on the back of the
> crank should help)

My Exage triple had rings which were bolt mounted directly onto the
crank and seemed reasonable quality. However, 'tis probably better
value for money to replace the whole lot. 25 quid gets you one of
these:

<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?W=0&Cat=cycle&UberCat=0&ProdID=5300006470>

Zog The Undeniable
July 8th 05, 09:20 PM
Buck wrote:

> You should pay about £26 for one if you go with TA, I think they make
> one to suit.

And rather nice they are too.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home