PDA

View Full Version : New wheels - 8 speed freewheel

John Hearns
July 11th 05, 09:59 PM
Arggghh.
the new wheels I bought have an 8/9 speed freewheel.
I have an existing 7 speed cassette.
So anyone know a fix?
Are there spacers available?

John Hearns
July 11th 05, 10:28 PM
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:59:35 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> Arggghh.
> the new wheels I bought have an 8/9 speed freewheel. I have an existing 7
> speed cassette.

I guess it is possible to swap the old 7 speed freewheel body
with the new one? But is is a shame to have a nice shimy new part paid
for and not used.

Sheldown Brown, Sheldon Brown, Sheldon Brown

m-gineering
July 11th 05, 11:13 PM
John Hearns wrote:

> Arggghh.
> the new wheels I bought have an 8/9 speed freewheel.
> I have an existing 7 speed cassette.
> So anyone know a fix?
> Are there spacers available?

It is probably possible to buy spacers, but it is perfectly acceptable
to bust up an old cassette and use the spacers from that. (the spacer
goes on first)

Don't try changing over the freehub, more trouble than it is worth, as
there are vexing differences in installed depth and sealdesign.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

John Hearns
July 12th 05, 07:49 AM
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:13:25 +0200, m-gineering wrote:

> John Hearns wrote:
>>
>> Arggghh.
>> the new wheels I bought have an 8/9 speed freewheel. I have an existing
>> 7 speed cassette.
>> So anyone know a fix?
>> Are there spacers available?
I do have an old cassette.

I found online that there are spacers available - some are 4.5mm
and the ones from Wiggle seem to be 2mm.
I think the gap looks quite wide, and I need a 4.5mm.
Thanks for the tip - I might try a cog from the old cassette.

Pete Biggs
July 12th 05, 10:20 AM
John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:13:25 +0200, m-gineering wrote:
>
>> John Hearns wrote:
>>>
>>> Arggghh.
>>> the new wheels I bought have an 8/9 speed freewheel. I have an
>>> existing 7 speed cassette.
>>> So anyone know a fix?
>>> Are there spacers available?
> I do have an old cassette.
>
> I found online that there are spacers available - some are 4.5mm
> and the ones from Wiggle seem to be 2mm.
> I think the gap looks quite wide, and I need a 4.5mm.
> Thanks for the tip - I might try a cog from the old cassette.

Spacing info:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

If a 7sp cassette doesn't fit (?), seven sprockets of a Shimano 8-speed
cassette could be respaced with 3.2mm spacers. (Some spacing would also
be required behind largest cog to bulk out the cassette).

Note: I reckon Campag 8-speed spacers are 3.2mm, not the 3.1mm SB
states -- I would expect them to fit Shimano hubs.

Personally, I would upgrade the shifters to enjoy a couple more gears.
The rest of the components should be compatible (apart from the chain).

~PB

John Hearns
July 12th 05, 11:11 AM
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:20:29 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> If a 7sp cassette doesn't fit (?), seven sprockets of a Shimano 8-speed
> cassette could be respaced with 3.2mm spacers. (Some spacing would also
> be required behind largest cog to bulk out the cassette).
>
> Note: I reckon Campag 8-speed spacers are 3.2mm, not the 3.1mm SB states
> -- I would expect them to fit Shimano hubs.
>
> Personally, I would upgrade the shifters to enjoy a couple more gears. The
> rest of the components should be compatible (apart from the chain).
Nooooo!!! No more upgrades for the moment.

This is quite a new cassette. Still shiny and new looking,
as when I put the new chain on I did not put any lubricant on. None.

I'm trusting to the factory lubricant, and there has been no noise from
the chain so far, and it is not attracting muck.
Am I barking? I usually use Finish Line, but I'm going to hold off for
as long as poss as an experiment.

BTW, anyone got good tips on adjusting the bearings?
They seem quite tight.
I loosened off the outer nuts, which caused play in the axle.
I didn't seem to be able to do much with a pair of cone spanners on the
cone nuts.
Tightened the outer nuts again, and it seems better, if still a little
tight.
As its a new hub, can I expect it to bed in a little?

Simon Brooke
July 12th 05, 12:59 PM
in message >, John Hearns
') wrote:

> I'm trusting to the factory lubricant, and there has been no noise from
> the chain so far, and it is not attracting muck.
> Am I barking? I usually use Finish Line, but I'm going to hold off for
> as long as poss as an experiment.

ISTR the instructions with my Campag 10 speed chain said not to lubricate
it. Ever. I have to confess I haven't obeyed them, but the factory lube
on a new chain should be good for some time. And it does keep things
cleaner.

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

Pete Biggs
July 12th 05, 02:56 PM
John Hearns wrote:
> This is quite a new cassette. Still shiny and new looking,
> as when I put the new chain on I did not put any lubricant on. None.
>
> I'm trusting to the factory lubricant, and there has been no noise
> from
> the chain so far, and it is not attracting muck.
> Am I barking? I usually use Finish Line, but I'm going to hold off for
> as long as poss as an experiment.

The thick jellyish type of factory lube is better than anything you can
buy in a bottle, so you're doing the right thing. Just wipe off the
excess.

> BTW, anyone got good tips on adjusting the bearings?
> They seem quite tight.
> I loosened off the outer nuts, which caused play in the axle.
> I didn't seem to be able to do much with a pair of cone spanners on
> the cone nuts.
> Tightened the outer nuts again, and it seems better, if still a little
> tight.
> As its a new hub, can I expect it to bed in a little?

It will bed in a tiny bit still it's important to use over-tight
cones--bearings rapidly wear out like that. There should be some play
when the quick release is open but none when closed.

Instructions: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

~PB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home