PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle for talented 8 year old girl? (athletic)

Tom Tricep
February 14th 05, 07:06 PM
If you can help me on this, I would greatly appreciate it. My 8 year
old girl likes to ride her bike. I would like to get her something
that is reasonably light, with gears. The fat tire thing is good, but
I would also like something with less rolling resistance. I am
anticipating roads, sidewalks and some hard packed dirt sidewalks.

Should I just have her ride the 20 inch tire one speed bike and wait
until she grows up a bit, or is there and alternative?

thanks in advance!

Tom Tricep

Allan Oxenreiter
February 14th 05, 08:38 PM
20" wheels are great beginner bicycles.

Since the mountain bike "boom" fewer manufacturers are making them.

I was lucky to find two 20" Schwinn bikes for my boys.
They are both built up with complete ultegra groups......

The tires are 100psi 1" width.

Though I don't know the entire market any longer, Redline is now making a
20" road bike that is very nice.
It is called the Pro Line Mine
Though it does not have drop bars, conversion should be easy. Single speed
though

Redline does make a complete Road bike with 24" wheels and drop bars....
Very nice looking and looks fast. It does have shifters.

Remember "Its not how fast you can go..... but how fast you LOOK when you're
stopped"

Call Seattle Bike Supply or go on line to Redlinecycles.com. Either will
help you find a dealer.
Redline does not allow online sales.... Though dealers do sell them.

Redline is manufactured and distributed by Seattle Bike Supply.

I am no longer a dealer an cannot help obtain a bike. And by the way.......
I never sold Redline.

Last thought, fitting her bike with the smaller tires will get her the
"feel" of speed and she will be more accepting of the new road bike when
Santa brings it for Christmas or Hanukah or Kwanzaa (Did I miss one?)

Allan

"Tom Tricep" > wrote in message

> If you can help me on this, I would greatly appreciate it. My 8 year
> old girl likes to ride her bike. I would like to get her something
> that is reasonably light, with gears. The fat tire thing is good, but
> I would also like something with less rolling resistance. I am
> anticipating roads, sidewalks and some hard packed dirt sidewalks.
>
> Should I just have her ride the 20 inch tire one speed bike and wait
> until she grows up a bit, or is there and alternative?
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Tom Tricep

Tom Tricep
February 14th 05, 09:46 PM
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:38:57 GMT, "Allan Oxenreiter"
> wrote:

>20" wheels are great beginner bicycles.
>
>Since the mountain bike "boom" fewer manufacturers are making them.
>
>I was lucky to find two 20" Schwinn bikes for my boys.
>They are both built up with complete ultegra groups......
>
>The tires are 100psi 1" width.
>
>Though I don't know the entire market any longer, Redline is now making a
>20" road bike that is very nice.
>It is called the Pro Line Mine
>Though it does not have drop bars, conversion should be easy. Single speed
>though
>
>Redline does make a complete Road bike with 24" wheels and drop bars....
>Very nice looking and looks fast. It does have shifters.
>
>Remember "Its not how fast you can go..... but how fast you LOOK when you're
>stopped"
>
>Call Seattle Bike Supply or go on line to Redlinecycles.com. Either will
>help you find a dealer.
>Redline does not allow online sales.... Though dealers do sell them.
>
>Redline is manufactured and distributed by Seattle Bike Supply.
>
>I am no longer a dealer an cannot help obtain a bike. And by the way.......
>I never sold Redline.
>
>Last thought, fitting her bike with the smaller tires will get her the
>"feel" of speed and she will be more accepting of the new road bike when
>Santa brings it for Christmas or Hanukah or Kwanzaa (Did I miss one?)
>
>Allan

Allan:

Thanks for the input! I will check out redline.

Regards,
Tom Tricep

Jim
February 15th 05, 01:56 AM
My seven year old girl does very well with a Raleigh Rowdy 20 inch. It
is a six speed mountain bike, but we had teh bicycle shop put on a
smooth tread tire. She rides this on club rides up to 30 miles.The six
speed has a good ratio for her to choose from. She maintains an average
speed between 9 an 10 MPH on these rides and has top speed of 25MPH on
the downhill.

Jim

Tom Tricep wrote:
> If you can help me on this, I would greatly appreciate it. My 8 year
> old girl likes to ride her bike. I would like to get her something
> that is reasonably light, with gears. The fat tire thing is good, but
> I would also like something with less rolling resistance. I am
> anticipating roads, sidewalks and some hard packed dirt sidewalks.
>
> Should I just have her ride the 20 inch tire one speed bike and wait
> until she grows up a bit, or is there and alternative?
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Tom Tricep

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home