PDA

View Full Version : chain cleaning trick

Deep Floyd Mars
July 15th 03, 12:11 AM
garlic > wrote in message
> A camping cyclist told me this story, and as a chain-lube
> fanatic, i see this as a great alternative to "dinosaur juice" as applied
> moving parts of machinery, just to get gummed up from tire dust or sand or
> from drying out.. I always thought that the use of organic oils (i.e.
olive
> oil, or jojoba oil) has untold benefits as alternative to petrolium oils.
> Now I am convinced.
> Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with said
oil,
> lay the bike out near a rat's nest
> *(they are identified by stick mounds out in the woods) , and they
> meticulously lick said components CLEAN . Watching in red light, the rats'
> appendage is quite long and reaches difficult locations easily...
> The abuse may occur if one relies on one critter repeatidly,
> as a limit occurs when their scat becomes mostly sand...
> This may end up being classed animal abuse or at worst, animal slavery,
but
> not bondage...

I like this idea a lot! Personally, I have simply attacked my chain with
turps and a toothbrush for 5 minutes, and thought that did a pretty good
job, but the rat method sounds like a winner!

What if you were to use warmed-up butter? They would love that!
---
DFM

garlic
July 15th 03, 12:11 AM
A camping cyclist told me this story, and as a chain-lube
fanatic, i see this as a great alternative to "dinosaur juice" as applied to
moving parts of machinery, just to get gummed up from tire dust or sand or
from drying out.. I always thought that the use of organic oils (i.e. olive
oil, or jojoba oil) has untold benefits as alternative to petrolium oils.
Now I am convinced.
Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with said oil,
lay the bike out near a rat's nest
*(they are identified by stick mounds out in the woods) , and they
meticulously lick said components CLEAN . Watching in red light, the rats'
appendage is quite long and reaches difficult locations easily...
The abuse may occur if one relies on one critter repeatidly,
as a limit occurs when their scat becomes mostly sand...
This may end up being classed animal abuse or at worst, animal slavery, but
not bondage...

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
July 15th 03, 08:04 AM
Not a good idea. Do you want to get Weil's Disease (Leptospirosis???)

Fritz M
July 15th 03, 03:08 PM
"garlic" > wrote:

> Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
> said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
> and they
> meticulously lick said components CLEAN .

That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under U.S.
patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Bruce Gilbert
July 15th 03, 04:24 PM
Oh wonderful! a rat patent!

"Fritz M" +> wrote in message
> "garlic" > wrote:
>
> > Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
> > said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
> > and they
> > meticulously lick said components CLEAN .
>
> That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under U.S.
> patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)
>
> RFM
> --
> To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
> 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Don Freeman
July 15th 03, 04:32 PM
"Fritz M" +> wrote in message
> "garlic" > wrote:
>
> > Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
> > said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
> > and they
> > meticulously lick said components CLEAN .
>
> That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under
U.S.
> patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)

OK, I've been trolled. I just had look this one up:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,573,083.WKU.&OS=PN/6,573,083&RS=PN/6,573,083

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/gzrd

(weight loss procedure involving the ingestion of E. coli)

Pretty funny though,

Dan
July 15th 03, 05:56 PM
"Fritz M" +> wrote in message
> "garlic" > wrote:
>
> > Now, when my exposed gear drive is dirty and gummy, I soak it with
> > said oil, lay the bike out near a rat's nest
> > and they
> > meticulously lick said components CLEAN .
>
> That is REALLY clever. So clever, in fact, that it's covered under U.S.
> patent number 6,573,083 (believe it or not!)
>
> RFM
> --

A patent search of that number turned up something equally disturbing, but
clearly different than said application:
United States Patent 6,573,083
Raider June 3, 2003

1. A method of weight reduction in human beings, wherein a human being
ingests a laxative effective dosage of a non-pathogenic strain of
Escherichia coli, during a meal, so as to cause a premature laxation of the
meal, and produce a weight loss of up to two pounds within one week.

2. The method described in claim 1, wherein the human being ingests the
non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli by adding said bacteria to the
meal.

3. The method described in claim 1, wherein the human being ingests the
non-pathogenic strain of Escherichia coli immediately after the meal, but
during the period the human being digests the meal.

Fritz M
July 17th 03, 03:49 PM
Danny Bon-Ray Yang > wrote:

> I'm not sure how this covers rodents cleaning dirty gears.

It was a troll -- I was just playin' :-)

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Garrison Hilliard
September 8th 03, 09:20 AM
"garlic" > wrote:
>This may end up being classed animal abuse or at worst, animal slavery, but
>not bondage...

I think it's cruel, and suggest you you use a lower class of vermin to clean your chain... have you tried setting it outside a lawyer's office?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home