PDA

View Full Version : Contact lens problem

Alfred Ryder
November 8th 03, 06:09 PM
Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am posting
the problem here.

I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But, for
some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or dryness or
anything else that I can think of.

Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A few
minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without fail, a
blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens. (Don't try to
reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when the lens comes out, it
is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.

Sorry for the excruciating detail. But I hope someone has solved the
problem. It is not a big one but it sure breaks the rhythm of a good ride.

Shayne Wissler
November 8th 03, 06:18 PM
"Alfred Ryder" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am posting
> the problem here.
>
> I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But, for
> some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or dryness
or
> anything else that I can think of.

From your description below it sounds quite clearly like dryness. Some
people, when concentrating on the road, blink less often than normal, which
dries their eyes out. Also, there's going to be wind regardless of how good
your glasses are (unless they're perfectly sealed, which won't be the case
unless you have goggles.

Try blinking more often. And perhaps, yawn every once in a while to get some
tears.

Shayne Wissler

> Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A few
> minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without fail, a
> blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens. (Don't try to
> reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when the lens comes out,
it
> is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.
>
> Sorry for the excruciating detail. But I hope someone has solved the
> problem. It is not a big one but it sure breaks the rhythm of a good ride.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
November 8th 03, 09:58 PM
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:09:30 GMT, "Alfred Ryder" >
wrote:

>Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am posting
>the problem here.
>
>I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But, for
>some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or dryness or
>anything else that I can think of.

Yes it is.

>Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A few
>minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without fail, a
>blink pushes the lens out.

Because it dried out and the edge peeled off your eye.

Blink more, or every so often, put some rewetting drops in your eyes.
I've had exactly the same problem and the drops cured it.

Barry

David Kerber
November 9th 03, 01:50 AM
In article et>,
says...
> Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am posting
> the problem here.
>
> I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But, for
> some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or dryness or
> anything else that I can think of.
>
> Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A few
> minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without fail, a
> blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens. (Don't try to
> reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when the lens comes out, it
> is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That tells me that the lens dried out. I'll bet if you stop and put in
a couple of rewetting drops when the lens first gets uncomfortable, it
will take care of it.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Matt O'Toole
November 9th 03, 05:02 AM
"Alfred Ryder" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am posting
> the problem here.
>
> I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But, for
> some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or dryness or
> anything else that I can think of.

> Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A few
> minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without fail, a
> blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens. (Don't try to
> reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when the lens comes out, it
> is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.

Welcome to the world of contact lenses. If I had $50 for every lens I've lost
this way, while skiing, biking, sailing, climbing, or whatever, I'd be, well, a
lot richer than I am now.

It *is* dryness, but there's also a chance your lenses don't fit perfectly. If
they don't quite match the curve of your eyeball, they won't stay stuck to it,
especially when they dry out.

First, have your lenses checked for fit. Nowadays they stick your head in a
machine and make a 3D scan of your eyeball, and match your eye with the perfect
lens on the first try. Your optometrist should be doing this. Also describe
the problems you're having. Lenses vary a lot between brand and type,
particularly in water content. Your optometrist should be able to choose the
best one for your particular problem.

Second, stay hydrated. When you're dehydrated, your tears can be the first
thing to go. This matters a lot. Carrying drops may help rescue a stuck lens,
but staying hydrated is the only thing that will keep you going for more than a
few minutes.

Third, find some eyewear that keeps the wind out of your eyes. Just because
they seem to, or because their marketing material says they do, doesn't mean
they work. If you're losing your lenses, there's some kind of a venturi effect
going on. I've used fancy ski goggles that peeled lenses off my eyes as soon as
I slid off a chairlift, on days when I could ski without them just fine. So
some eyewear is actually worse than none at all!

Unfortunately, finding the right eyewear can be trial and error. The amount of
money you spend on a pair of glasses makes no difference. I've had expensive,
sport-specific eyewear that was useless, and drugstore cheapo sunglasses that
were great. My current favorites are some Uvex safety glasses I got at Wal Mart
for $7. But everyone's face is different, and what works for me may or may not
work for you. Keep trying.

Finally, contact lenses are rarely a perfect solution for riding. My vision is
usually a little blurry after a long ride. However, the overall tradeoff is
good enough for me -- better peripheral vision, depth perception, etc., compared
to glasses. YMMV. Some climates are difficult too -- particularly the
southwest in winter, when it's really dry. And it's even worse in the
mountains/deserts. I've had fewer problems since moving to the southeast, where
it's always a little more humid.

Of course, there's always LASIK! I know many active people who have had this
done, and were very happy with it.

Matt O.

Jacobe Hazzard
November 9th 03, 08:53 AM
Alfred Ryder wrote:
> Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am
> posting the problem here.
>
> I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But,
> for some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or
> dryness or anything else that I can think of.
>
> Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable.
> A few minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without
> fail, a blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens.
> (Don't try to reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when
> the lens comes out, it is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.
>
> Sorry for the excruciating detail. But I hope someone has solved the
> problem. It is not a big one but it sure breaks the rhythm of a good
> ride.

As many people have noted it definitely sound like dryness. I would just
like to mention that I switched to night & day contacts, that are made with
a more breathable polymer and less water, so are less prone to drying out. I
have had much fewer problems riding since I switched, mostly w/out any kind
of eye protection. Night & days are the lenses you are allowed to leave in
all the time and when you are sleeping, if you care to.

Alfred Ryder
November 10th 03, 05:18 PM
> Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am posting
> the problem here.
>
> I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But, for
> some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or dryness
or
> anything else that I can think of.

Many thanks to those who answered.

Yea, the problem must be dryness. Probably due to too much whiskey, coffee,
dehydration, advanced age, dry wind, etc.

The reason I did not expect the problem to be dryness was that, by the time
the lens came out, my eye was dripping wet due to the irritation of a
wrinkled lens.

lesschmidt
November 13th 03, 12:45 AM
As another contact lens wearer who has spent a lot of time trying to
find the right set of contact s that can deal with all the wind of
cycling, I think you probably need a different lens. I would go back to
your eye doctor and get refit for contact lenses. It sounds like the
lens isn't sittting on your eye properly. You probably need a different
base width or circumference. The doctor can determine this for you, but
a properly fitting lens shoudn't fall out like this. Good luck, Laura

QUOTE]Originally posted by Alfred Ryder Is this problem unique to me? It
only happens while riding so I am posting the problem here.

I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But,
for some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or
dryness or anything else that I can think of.

Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A
few minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without
fail, a blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens.
(Don't try to reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when the
lens comes out, it is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.

Sorry for the excruciating detail. But I hope someone has solved
the problem. It is not a big one but it sure breaks the rhythm of a
good ride.

Joseph Santaniello
November 13th 03, 09:18 PM
I used to have the same problem. I think it was that while leaning
forward my eyes were looking "up" to be able to see the road. And in
doing so, the lower edge of the lens was not beneath my eyelid. And I
guess it would dry up a bit and snag on my eyelid when I would blink.

And these lenses would sit in any other conditions. I used to be an auto
mechanic and I used them almost as mini goggles! I can remember gobs of
dirt falling into my eyes working under a car without problems, but 10
minutes on the bike and out the came.

About 2 years ago I had LASIK. I recommend anyone who can and who
dislikes glasses or contacts to check it out.

Joseph

In et> Alfred Ryder
wrote:
> Is this problem unique to me? It only happens while riding so I am
> posting the problem here.
>
> I use contact lenses and wind-blocking dark glasses when riding. But,
> for some reason, the lenses keep coming out. It is not due to wind or
> dryness or anything else that I can think of.
>
> Something like once an hour, a lens will get slightly uncomfortable. A
> few minutes later, my vision deteriorates in that eye. Then without
> fail, a blink pushes the lens out. So far I have lost only one lens. (
> Don't try to reinstall it until you get out of the wind.) And when the
> lens comes out, it is misshapen, wrinkled around the edge.
>
> Sorry for the excruciating detail. But I hope someone has solved the
> problem. It is not a big one but it sure breaks the rhythm of a good
> ride.

Joel Solomon
November 14th 03, 04:45 PM
The other replies to your post are pretty much right.

A few comments:

There are two main strategies for dealing with a contact lens that dries out-
Rewetting drops, which are helpful but usually don't last for a very long time
after application.

Get refit with a different type of contact lens. A lens that is thicker or
has a lower water content often is more resistant to dehydrating. Night & Day
lenses are a good alternative, as are a number of other brands.

Another point is that tear production is regulated separately from other water
balance in the body. You would have to be profoundly dehydrated in order for
it to decrease tear production.

Big wraparound shades also help decrease evaporative tear loss.

Finally, LASIK is a great operation for nearsightedness, but does not always
improve a dry eye.

Joel Solomon
Wish I was as good a rider as I was an ophthalmologist.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home