PDA

View Full Version : Car door anyone?

flyingdutch
August 27th 04, 05:43 AM
Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!

and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?

Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond,
is why!
riding past and didnt see him as he was leaning across to the passenger
seat and so i saw no head above the seat/headrest in the driver side. He
opened the door just as i got to about the rear right door and within (i
think, it all happened a tad fast) i decided going 'in' to the space
inside the door was better than wearing that top corner of the door in
the noggin (refer earlier posts re mate and chapel st).
I braked as much as i could but hit more door/footsill and bike stopped
and i sailed over the gap between door and car and hit bonnet with
head/shoulder and slid unceremoniously off the front bonnet and lay on
the road.

dazed i checked my collarbone/s and all seems fine. few lycra-related
tears :( but otherwise OKish.
Most importantly the bike has a new scratch on it :eek: :eek: :eek:
but the front wheel seems to be fine (must be that wired/soldered
spoking).
Driver was a bit stunned and was apologising profusely.
Usual rhubarb "I was just going in and ou the shop real quick"
"Funny" i said"I almost left this mortal coil. REAL QUICK!!!".
Luckily he was left with a non-closeable door so he aint gonna forget
it in a hurry and maybe think next time one of us is passing...
He shut up after that. Got his details and the caf owners adjacent were
wonderful. I got back on and rode into town, altho soon realised i
couldnt move my neck to the right and started seeing stars! Not good,
im thinking.
Shock/whatever must be setting in...
Got to work, showered and then my neck just locked up so off to the
Epworth for a checkup me thawt. After xrays and people poking prodding
just some strained neck bits and swollen/compressed
something-or-other.

Why-oh-why couldnt the cycling be on the olympics. the SyncSwimming is
a real pain in the neck. oh. hang on... :rolleyes:

--
flyingdutch

hippy
August 27th 04, 07:46 AM
"flyingdutch"
> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!

Bummer dude.. I didn't know you wanted to be a diver? :P
Too much Olympics coverage for you! ;-)

Hope the neck is all good tomorrow and
the bike is up for more action too.

Car doors are evil. Paranoia is good.
Ride wide son, ride wide!

hippy

Patrick88
August 27th 04, 09:50 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>
> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>
> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond
> is why!
> riding past and didnt see him as he was leaning across to the passenge
> seat and so i saw no head above the seat/headrest in the driver side. H
> opened the door just as i got to about the rear right door and within (
> think, it all happened a tad fast) i decided going 'in' to the spac
> inside the door was better than wearing that top corner of the door i
> the noggin (refer earlier posts re mate and chapel st).
> I braked as much as i could but hit more door/footsill and bike stoppe
> and i sailed over the gap between door and car and hit bonnet wit
> head/shoulder and slid unceremoniously off the front bonnet and lay o
> the road.
>
> dazed i checked my collarbone/s and all seems fine. few lycra-relate
> tears :( but otherwise OKish.
> Most importantly the bike has a new scratch on it :eek: :eek: :eek:
> but the front wheel seems to be fine (must be that wired/soldere
> spoking).
> Driver was a bit stunned and was apologising profusely.
> Usual rhubarb "I was just going in and ou the shop real quick"
> "Funny" i said"I almost left this mortal coil. REAL QUICK!!!".
> Luckily he was left with a non-closeable door so he aint gonna forge
> it in a hurry and maybe think next time one of us is passing...
> He shut up after that. Got his details and the caf owners adjacent wer
> wonderful. I got back on and rode into town, altho soon realised
> couldnt move my neck to the right and started seeing stars! Not good
> im thinking.
> Shock/whatever must be setting in...
> Got to work, showered and then my neck just locked up so off to th
> Epworth for a checkup me thawt. After xrays and people poking proddin
> just some strained neck bits and swollen/compresse
> something-or-other.
>
> Why-oh-why couldnt the cycling be on the olympics. the SyncSwimming i
> a real pain in the neck. oh. hang on... :rolleyes:
I once came very close. I swevered out (without looking for traffic
and was lucky

--
Patrick88

aeek
August 27th 04, 10:54 AM
Patrick88 Wrote:
> I once came very close. I swevered out (without looking for traffic) an
> was lucky.

I remember looking straight down her thoat as she opened the door.
No idea how I got past ok, zero time to think helped, I forget how t
turn if I have the time

--
aeek

Jock
August 28th 04, 10:57 AM
Chinese home delivery dude got me years ago - ripped my forearm open on the
corner of the door I attempted to close. 12 stitches and all that stuff
later, he got done for whatever it was. Always suspect there is a person in
there, always think the worst & look at possible escape actions. As stated,
ride wide.
Jock

flyingdutch wrote:
>> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>>
>> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>>
>> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd
>> richmond, is why!
>> riding past and didnt see him as he was leaning across to the
>> passenger seat and so i saw no head above the seat/headrest in the
>> driver side. He opened the door just as i got to about the rear
>> right door and within (i think, it all happened a tad fast) i
>> decided going 'in' to the space inside the door was better than
>> wearing that top corner of the door in the noggin (refer earlier
>> posts re mate and chapel st).
>> I braked as much as i could but hit more door/footsill and bike
>> stopped and i sailed over the gap between door and car and hit
>> bonnet with head/shoulder and slid unceremoniously off the front
>> bonnet and lay on the road.
>>
>> dazed i checked my collarbone/s and all seems fine. few lycra-related
>> tears :( but otherwise OKish.
>> Most importantly the bike has a new scratch on it :eek: :eek: :eek:
>> but the front wheel seems to be fine (must be that wired/soldered
>> spoking).
>> Driver was a bit stunned and was apologising profusely.
>> Usual rhubarb "I was just going in and ou the shop real quick"
>> "Funny" i said"I almost left this mortal coil. REAL QUICK!!!".
>> Luckily he was left with a non-closeable door so he aint gonna forget
>> it in a hurry and maybe think next time one of us is passing...
>> He shut up after that. Got his details and the caf owners adjacent
>> were wonderful. I got back on and rode into town, altho soon
>> realised i couldnt move my neck to the right and started seeing
>> stars! Not good, im thinking.
>> Shock/whatever must be setting in...
>> Got to work, showered and then my neck just locked up so off to the
>> Epworth for a checkup me thawt. After xrays and people poking
>> prodding just some strained neck bits and swollen/compressed
>> something-or-other.
>>
>> Why-oh-why couldnt the cycling be on the olympics. the SyncSwimming
>> is a real pain in the neck. oh. hang on... :rolleyes:
>>

>> --
>> flyingdutch

Geoff
August 28th 04, 11:23 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>
> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>
> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond,
> is why!
> riding past and didnt see him as he was leaning across to the passenger
> seat and so i saw no head above the seat/headrest in the driver side. He
> opened the door just as i got to about the rear right door and within (i
> think, it all happened a tad fast) i decided going 'in' to the space
> inside the door was better than wearing that top corner of the door in
> the noggin (refer earlier posts re mate and chapel st).
> I braked as much as i could but hit more door/footsill and bike stopped
> and i sailed over the gap between door and car and hit bonnet with
> head/shoulder and slid unceremoniously off the front bonnet and lay on
> the road.
>
> dazed i checked my collarbone/s and all seems fine. few lycra-related
> tears :( but otherwise OKish.
> Most importantly the bike has a new scratch on it :eek: :eek: :eek:
> but the front wheel seems to be fine (must be that wired/soldered
> spoking).
> Driver was a bit stunned and was apologising profusely.
> Usual rhubarb "I was just going in and ou the shop real quick"
> "Funny" i said"I almost left this mortal coil. REAL QUICK!!!".
> Luckily he was left with a non-closeable door so he aint gonna forget
> it in a hurry and maybe think next time one of us is passing...
> He shut up after that. Got his details and the caf owners adjacent were
> wonderful. I got back on and rode into town, altho soon realised i
> couldnt move my neck to the right and started seeing stars! Not good,
> im thinking.
> Shock/whatever must be setting in...
> Got to work, showered and then my neck just locked up so off to the
> Epworth for a checkup me thawt. After xrays and people poking prodding
> just some strained neck bits and swollen/compressed
> something-or-other.
>
> Why-oh-why couldnt the cycling be on the olympics. the SyncSwimming is
> a real pain in the neck. oh. hang on... :rolleyes:
>

> --
> flyingdutch

When heading out of the city to Richmond Cyclery, on the very same Bridge
Road, in the car to pick up my bike last night (Friday) I saw the driver of
a car parked in the clearway do exactly the same thing to another cyclist
but in this case the cyclist had a clear road to their imediate right and
there was no impact. Can people not read roadsigns and understand what a
clearway is???

I'm glad you had some luck on your side.

Geoff

Tim Jones
August 29th 04, 04:46 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>
> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>
> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond,
> is why!

Near there in Chapel st I had a car door encounter.

Had a US tourist stop, with no indication or moving to the side in the
middle of Chapel st - not even any cars in front.

Slammed into the door and bent my wheel 90 degrees.

Got $120 out of them on the spot for the repair, handed over my details but
never heard from them again.

Tim

Mark Munk3y
August 29th 04, 05:16 AM
Tim Jones wrote:

> "flyingdutch" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>>
>> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>>
>> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond,
>> is why!
>
> Near there in Chapel st I had a car door encounter.
>
> Had a US tourist stop, with no indication or moving to the side in the
> middle of Chapel st - not even any cars in front.
>
> Slammed into the door and bent my wheel 90 degrees.
>
> Got $120 out of them on the spot for the repair, handed over my details
> but never heard from them again.
>
> Tim

Once got hit by a truck door ... higher than car door, he cleared the
handlebars and got me straight in the face. Knocked me backwards onto my
back/shoulders. no permanent injuries (very lucky)

Mark

Tim Jones
August 29th 04, 09:50 AM
"Mark Munk3y" > wrote in message
<...>

> Once got hit by a truck door ... higher than car door, he cleared the
> handlebars and got me straight in the face. Knocked me backwards onto my
> back/shoulders. no permanent injuries (very lucky)
>
> Mark

Yeah - riding past trucks has always made me very nervous...

Tim

jazmo
August 30th 04, 12:59 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>
> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>
> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond
> is why!
> riding past and didnt see him as he was leaning across to the passenge
> seat and so i saw no head above the seat/headrest in the driver side. H
> opened the door just as i got to about the rear right door and within (
> think, it all happened a tad fast) i decided going 'in' to the spac
> inside the door was better than wearing that top corner of the door i
> the noggin (refer earlier posts re mate and chapel st).
> I braked as much as i could but hit more door/footsill and bike stoppe
> and i sailed over the gap between door and car and hit bonnet wit
> head/shoulder and slid unceremoniously off the front bonnet and lay o
> the road.
>
> dazed i checked my collarbone/s and all seems fine. few lycra-relate
> tears :( but otherwise OKish.
> Most importantly the bike has a new scratch on it :eek: :eek: :eek:
> but the front wheel seems to be fine (must be that wired/soldere
> spoking).
> Driver was a bit stunned and was apologising profusely.
> Usual rhubarb "I was just going in and ou the shop real quick"
> "Funny" i said"I almost left this mortal coil. REAL QUICK!!!".
> Luckily he was left with a non-closeable door so he aint gonna forge
> it in a hurry and maybe think next time one of us is passing...
> He shut up after that. Got his details and the caf owners adjacent wer
> wonderful. I got back on and rode into town, altho soon realised
> couldnt move my neck to the right and started seeing stars! Not good
> im thinking.
> Shock/whatever must be setting in...
> Got to work, showered and then my neck just locked up so off to th
> Epworth for a checkup me thawt. After xrays and people poking proddin
> just some strained neck bits and swollen/compresse
> something-or-other.
>
> Why-oh-why couldnt the cycling be on the olympics. the SyncSwimming i
> a real pain in the neck. oh. hang on... :rolleyes:

That's nasty stuff Dutchy :eek:

Did you say that you've got a neckbrace on. What sort is it? Wha
injuries have you done to your neck?

I just got my neckbrace off four weeks ago

--
jazmo

hippy
August 30th 04, 02:08 AM
jazmo Wrote:
> Did you say that you've got a neckbrace on. What sort is it? Wha
> injuries have you done to your neck?

Can you ride with these things on? How far around can you turn you
head?

BTW.. Check out this article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040706/TBIKE06/TPNational/Toronto

hipp

--
hippy

Peter Cremasco
August 30th 04, 10:16 AM
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:08:07 +1000, hippy
> wrote:

>BTW.. Check out this article:
>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040706/TBIKE06/TPNational/Toronto

Very interesting that the cyclist would be deemed to be partly
responsible for the accident 'because she wasn't wearing a helmet'.

To me, that is not a logical conclusion. She can certainly be held
partially responsible for her INJURIES due to not wearing a helmet, but
to suggest that the absence of a helmet contributed to causing the
accident seems a very obscure jump in logic by the judge.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Peter Signorini
August 30th 04, 02:59 PM
"Peter Cremasco" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:08:07 +1000, hippy
> > wrote:
>
> >BTW.. Check out this article:
>
>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040706/TBI
KE06/TPNational/Toronto

> Very interesting that the cyclist would be deemed to be partly
> responsible for the accident 'because she wasn't wearing a helmet'.
>
> To me, that is not a logical conclusion. She can certainly be held
> partially responsible for her INJURIES due to not wearing a helmet, but
> to suggest that the absence of a helmet contributed to causing the
> accident seems a very obscure jump in logic by the judge.

The way I read it she has gained this slap on the wrist because she tried to
take on the local city authorities (probably thinking to get more out of
their insurance than the driver's) and the judge has decided that if the
city has to take any blame then she should also for not having the helmet
on. Note this was a case for damages so her lack of action on the helmet was
a factor. The article does not say she was partly responsible for the
accident, rather blame has been apportioned for her injuries.

Here in Oz this type of question is not an issue - thank god for the TAC.

Cheers
Peter

ritcho
August 31st 04, 01:16 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming!
>
> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks?
>
> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge Rd richmond
> is why!
>
> [snip painful story]

OUCH! Bloody car drivers!

Glad to hear that you're more or less ok. Get well soon.

Ritc

--
ritcho

sick_skater
August 31st 04, 06:37 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Well im sittin home watching synchronised swimming
>
> and why would someone subject themselves to such horrors, one asks
>
> Well, the guy parked in the bikelane/clearway along Bridge R
> richmond, is why
> riding past and didnt see him as he was leaning across to th
> passenger seat and so i saw no head above the seat/headrest in th
> driver side. He opened the door just as i got to about the rear righ
> door and within (i think, it all happened a tad fast) i decided goin
> 'in' to the space inside the door was better than wearing that to
> corner of the door in the noggin (refer earlier posts re mate an
> chapel st)
> I braked as much as i could but hit more door/footsill and bik
> stopped and i sailed over the gap between door and car and hit bonne
> with head/shoulder and slid unceremoniously off the front bonnet an
> lay on the road
>
> dazed i checked my collarbone/s and all seems fine. few lycra-relate
> tears :( but otherwise OKish
> Most importantly the bike has a new scratch on it :eek: :eek: :eek:
> but the front wheel seems to be fine (must be that wired/soldere
> spoking)
> Driver was a bit stunned and was apologising profusely
> Usual rhubarb "I was just going in and ou the shop real quick
> "Funny" i said"I almost left this mortal coil. REAL QUICK!!!"
> Luckily he was left with a non-closeable door so he aint gonna forge
> it in a hurry and maybe think next time one of us is passing..
> He shut up after that. Got his details and the caf owners adjacen
> were wonderful. I got back on and rode into town, altho soon realised
> couldnt move my neck to the right and started seeing stars! Not good, i
> thinking
> Shock/whatever must be setting in..
> Got to work, showered and then my neck just locked up so off to th
> Epworth for a checkup me thawt. After xrays and people poking proddin
> just some strained neck bits and swollen/compressed something-or-other
>
> Why-oh-why couldnt the cycling be on the olympics. the SyncSwimming i
> a real pain in the neck. oh. hang on... :rolleyes:
good to hear you came out of your egg beaters
I have just changed from spd's and haven't had a stack yet to see if
come out of them
good to here that you do come lose

--
sick_skater