PDA

View Full Version : Another one popped out

suzyj
August 31st 04, 03:34 AM
aeek wrote:

> nice! are the downtube levers functional or just for looks? Barend
are
> still nicely retro but so much sweeter to use - can brake and change
> almost simultaneously, enough to maintain momentum at gulley
> bottom.

I used to use the downtube levers on my old boad bike. They're Camp
nine speed, so play nicely with the rest of my gear. I intend o
keeping them on there, as they suit my minimalist aesthetic.

Back when I rode with downtube gear levers all the time, I never ha
trouble braking and shifting simultaneously. I'd just use my left han
to do the shifting (on either derailleur) while braking with the righ
(front) brake. I actually find shifting the rear derailleur whil
braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use th
same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).

The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint.
The old guys at racing with downtube levers are at a distinc
disadvantage, as it's dead obvious they're about to go, while thos
with ergos can knock it up a few gears covertly without moving off th
hoods.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

aeek
August 31st 04, 04:09 AM
suzyj Wrote:
> Back when I rode with downtube gear levers all the time, I never ha
> trouble braking and shifting simultaneously. I'd just use my left han
> to do the shifting (on either derailleur) while braking with the righ
> (front) brake. I actually find shifting the rear derailleur whil
> braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use th
> same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).

Think I forgot to allow for my incompetence - fingers onto spokes
specialty - and weak arms; I can't quite stabilise the bike with on
hand.
Barends give me 1.5 hands but an 8-speed limit (Shimano).

Retro is better for touring - fallback to friction after crash damag
has trashed the indexing

--
aeek

hippy
August 31st 04, 04:21 AM
"suzyj"
> The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint.

True. In some early races on my $100 special, I
would just spin like a nutter and maybe get a chance
to flick the downtube shifter, if I was lucky. That was
the main reason for upgrading to the STI shifters on
the Pug.

I might be getting hold of a new road machine soon (with
gears.. sorry guys ;-) ). I was even contemplating putting
Campag on it for a test.. but it's a bloody expensive test!!
so I'll stick with Shimano.

http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=48

They also make a nice steel road machine and if I had the
cash (and desire for ANOTHER bloody bike!) I would
get it as well, fit full Campag or Ultegra with barcons on
the drops. Or maybe leave it as a singlespeed? Hmm...
Does anyone have a spare $2k? I promise I'll post a ride
report about it.. really.. I promise.. $1k? Anyone..

hippy

mfhor
August 31st 04, 05:11 AM
suzyj Wrote:
> Back when I rode with downtube gear levers all the time, I never ha
> trouble braking and shifting simultaneously. I'd just use my left han
> to do the shifting (on either derailleur) while braking with the righ
> (front) brake. I actually find shifting the rear derailleur whil
> braking with my ergos is more difficult, as you're trying to use th
> same hand for both (I rarely use my rear brake).
>
> The only thing ergos are good for is changing gear before a sprint.
> The old guys at racing with downtube levers are at a distinc
> disadvantage, as it's dead obvious they're about to go, while thos
> with ergos can knock it up a few gears covertly without moving off th
> hoods.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

Hey! Nice work!

In light of this magnificent output, I can forgive you for usin
linseed oil on your spokes :D ;)

Barends on the classic touring bike should be -de riguer-
IM(extreeemly H)O. Although I remember seeing a piccie with Gre
Griffiths (Ivanhoe Cycles et al) racing with a pair on in the 70s.
think I remember him saying that he dumped them and went back t
downtube when guys who went past leaned over to 'accidentally' chang
his gears for him. He got used to shielding his barend levers with hi
hand just before a sprint, or on the attack on a climb
Heavyweight/rough road touring they get my vote, coz if you dump a
STI/Ergo in the dirt miles from anywhere, it's pretty difficult t
service complicated shifters using a stump or a fencepost as
workbench.

What about having a go at TIG, have you thought about it?

P.S Have Pixar's lawyers knocked on your door yet (it's just you
little fish looks a bit like Nemo) - damn their black hearts - ? :D

M "connoisseur of classic steel - but all his bikes are currentl
aluminium - go figure"

--
mfhor

flyingdutch
September 1st 04, 01:58 AM
hippy Wrote:

> Bit of both. I was lusting after the '03 model of the Team Soloist a
> while ago and now I'm offered the '04 model cheap. I prefer the '03
> paintjob but the '04 frame is slightly improved so I'll stick wit
> that.
>
> hippy

is that the cervelo Soloist?
"CLAES' was riding one on BR10 last Sunday!
Noice!
AND he beat my max speed down 'the hill' !!!!!!!
(altho my speedo was reading a big donut due to being loose on th
mount. aaaarrrgghhh. I was sure i'd nailed it)
No fair

--
flyingdutch

hippy
September 1st 04, 02:07 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> is that the cervelo Soloist?
> "CLAES' was riding one on BR10 last Sunday!
> Noice!
> AND he beat my max speed down 'the hill' !!!!!!!
> (altho my speedo was reading a big donut due to being loose on th
> mount. aaaarrrgghhh. I was sure i'd nailed it)
> No fair.

Yep, Cervelo Team Soloist '04:
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/SLTeam.html

Looks like I'm gonna have to get out there and give it another shot..

I don't think I even cracked 80kph last time.

hipp

--
hippy

Marty Wallace
September 1st 04, 02:30 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > is that the cervelo Soloist?
> > "CLAES' was riding one on BR10 last Sunday!
> > Noice!
> > AND he beat my max speed down 'the hill' !!!!!!!
> > (altho my speedo was reading a big donut due to being loose on the
> > mount. aaaarrrgghhh. I was sure i'd nailed it)
> > No fair.
>
> Yep, Cervelo Team Soloist '04:
> http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/SLTeam.html
>
> Looks like I'm gonna have to get out there and give it another shot...
>
> I don't think I even cracked 80kph last time.
>
> hippy
>

> --
> hippy

What's funny is that they're talking about how thin the head tube is. Thin
tubes are suddenly "new" again, and fat tubes are out. It's what I've been
saying for years. A thin tube is always going to be more aero than a fat
tube.

Anyone got any predictions for the next "new" discovery?

Marty

flyingdutch
September 1st 04, 02:44 AM
Marty Wallace Wrote:

> Anyone got any predictions for the next "new" discovery?
>
> Marty

Steel. again.
Those bidon carriers on the front of the bars (but only campag user
will be able to do it :-) ).
Wooden rims.
Bamboo (altho already been done).
Sturmey Archer to make a BIG comeback now their new 8spd Taiwanese hu
is hitting momentum.
Pin-striping (brake out those long brushes). Banana seats.
The 'new' black (darker black. so black it draws all light into it lik
a black hole. bit like howard policies...).
Belt-drive.
A car driver whom is capable of giving way :eek

--
flyingdutch

hippy
September 1st 04, 03:01 AM
>flyingdutch
>Steel. again.

Go Scapin! :)

>Those bidon carriers on the front of the bars (but only campag user
will
>be able to do it :-) ).

That's a common tri-geek trick - why would roadies do it?
My vote is for camelbaks for roadies :)

>Wooden rims.

Carbon bearings :)

>The 'new' black (darker black. so black it draws all light into i
like a black >hole. bit like howard policies...).

"Got any blacker?"
Where can I get some black-hole paint, please?

>Belt-drive.

Worm drive.

>A car driver whom is capable of giving way :eek:

Now you are just being silly!

More light ****e that's only good for posers or a heart and lung o
legs:
(50kg "man".. indeed!!)

More holes in stuff that doesn't need holes (Colnago chainstays
style downtubes, seattubes, headtubes, etc). Don't ask me how the
just
will alright!

Helium-ated Water, because the normal stuff is so damn heavy!

Disc brakes for road bikes take off big time like in the mtb scene..

Singlespeeders and fixers are surpassed when people start removin
their
chains for the "most real ride ever!! dude!!". Razor scooter sales ar
on the
up..

Real Chocolate without the fat/sugar for hippy to live on..

that'll do..

hipp

--
hippy

flyingdutch
September 1st 04, 03:45 AM
hippy Wrote:

> Singlespeeders and fixers are surpassed when people start removing
> their
> chains for the "most real ride ever!! dude!!". Razor scooter sales are
> on the
> up..
> hippy

"Hey Johann. Can someone check to see if there's a chain on this
thing?!?!"

hippy Wrote:

> Real Chocolate without the fat/sugar for hippy to live on..
>
> that'll do..
>
> hippy

Now who's bein silly???
bit like diet-<insert-mass-produced-brand-name-here>

--
flyingdutch

hippy
September 1st 04, 04:00 AM
>flyingdutch
>"Hey Johann. Can someone check to see if there's a chain on this
thing?!?!"

You've read that too then? :)

Get Graeme Obree's autobiog.. VERY different dude/story.

>>Originally Posted by hippy
>>Real Chocolate without the fat/sugar for hippy to live on..

>Now who's bein silly???
>bit like diet-<insert-mass-produced-brand-name-here>

diet-Giant? diet-Trek? I don't get it :P

That's why Pepsi Max is a winner.. no sugar.. no sign of "diet" :)

hippy

--
hippy

Google