PDA

View Full Version : "pass the 'beaters"

flyingdutch
September 1st 04, 02:35 AM
aeek Wrote:
> (radical - back on thread)
>
> seems they're not suited to my maintenance habits, damn.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/crank_bros_candy
>
> Long-term users of Crank Brothers' pedals report that you do have t
> make sure you maintain the bearings. A screw-in plastic grease port i
> included with the pedals and it's a simple matter to remove th
> dustcap, fit the grease port, pump in new grease then swap the dustca
> back out. However, while this kind of maintenance isn't essential wit
> many pedals, it is vital with Candies, as the pedal turns on a bushin
> at one end and a ball-bearing at the other and bushings really don'
> like being run dry. Crank Bros recommends fresh grease every 100-30
> hours of riding, which isn't too arduous a schedule and fortunately, i
> you do neglect them, spares are available and the pedals can be rebuilt.

mine are just the 'you-bewt' cromo versions, but yes the re-greasin
does seem like one of them 'why-didnt-someone-think-of-this-before
type things..

--
flyingdutch

mfhor
September 1st 04, 10:19 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> mine are just the 'you-bewt' cromo versions, but yes the re-greasin
> does seem like one of them 'why-didnt-someone-think-of-this-before
> type things...
Tioga did some pretty nifty flatties with micro-lube nipples 10 year
ago. No longer (sob).

Shimano Spuds (the better ones) are de facto easy to grease: take ou
spindle with dinky plastic Shimano tool, empty out water, dwarf newts
and any alien civilizations which have taken up residence, poke bi
lumps of grease into the pedal hole, screw spindle back in, and watc
the satisfying ooze of old grease being chased out by the new
Teeheehee!

Oh, then you have to wipe up. Euuch! Crustier grease I never did see
. .

M "Little things please little minds"

--
mfhor