PDA

View Full Version : times up 1:20 and the wall

Dej
September 2nd 04, 08:04 AM
ok,
i know there's the cycle2max site and a bunch of ppl have put their times
up.
there's some 13 min times there for either wall or 1:20 (i cant remember
which)

of the ppl here who ride those two climbs, whats your ave time up them?
and do you ride to the mountain, if so, how far is the ride before you get
to the basin or to monbulk?

my first time up the 1:20 back in feb, was around 32 mins (but i'd ridden
from clayton to croydon in 40 mins, then croydon to the basin and i was
buggered by the time i started the hill)
nowdays if i drive to the basin, then ride, i do it in about 23 mins

at the moment im struggling to see how it would be possible for me to do a
sub 20 min ride up 1:20, let alone getting anywhere near 13 mins:(

flyingdutch
September 2nd 04, 11:46 AM
Dej Wrote:
> ok
> i know there's the cycle2max site and a bunch of ppl have put thei
> time
> up
> there's some 13 min times there for either wall or 1:20 (i can
> remembe
> which
>
> of the ppl here who ride those two climbs, whats your ave time up them
> and do you ride to the mountain, if so, how far is the ride before yo
> ge
> to the basin or to monbulk
>
> my first time up the 1:20 back in feb, was around 32 mins (but i'
> ridde
> from clayton to croydon in 40 mins, then croydon to the basin and i wa
> buggered by the time i started the hill
> nowdays if i drive to the basin, then ride, i do it in about 23 min
>
> at the moment im struggling to see how it would be possible for me t
> do
> sub 20 min ride up 1:20, let alone getting anywhere near 13 mins:(
what/where is 'The Wall'?

and exactly which road is '1:20' ?
must do this one day...;

--
flyingdutc

NickZX6R
September 2nd 04, 12:11 PM
flyingdutch wrote:
> Dej Wrote:
>
>>ok,
>>i know there's the cycle2max site and a bunch of ppl have put their
>>times
>>up.
>>there's some 13 min times there for either wall or 1:20 (i cant
>>remember
>>which)
>>
>>of the ppl here who ride those two climbs, whats your ave time up them?
>>and do you ride to the mountain, if so, how far is the ride before you
>>get
>>to the basin or to monbulk?
>>
>>my first time up the 1:20 back in feb, was around 32 mins (but i'd
>>ridden
>>from clayton to croydon in 40 mins, then croydon to the basin and i was
>>buggered by the time i started the hill)
>>nowdays if i drive to the basin, then ride, i do it in about 23 mins
>>
>>at the moment im struggling to see how it would be possible for me to
>>do a
>>sub 20 min ride up 1:20, let alone getting anywhere near 13 mins:(
>
> what/where is 'The Wall'?
>
> and exactly which road is '1:20' ?
> must do this one day...;)

the 1:20 is the Mountain Hwy, starting at The Basin and ending at
Sassafras? I've never ridden up 1:20 trying to go as fast as I can.
Keeping my HR low I can do it in around 26 mins. I reckon I'd be lucky
to do better than 20mins at full speed.

I've ridden the wall but I'm not sure which road it is. Maybe Monbulk Rd
or Olinda-Monbulk Rd or something like that?

Although, I was riding down the wall :) Managed 75km/h too :)

--
Nick

Shane Stanley
September 2nd 04, 12:22 PM
In article >,
NickZX6R > wrote:

> I've ridden the wall but I'm not sure which road it is. Maybe Monbulk Rd
> or Olinda-Monbulk Rd or something like that?

Yes, it's the road from Monbulk to Olinda. We were having a coffee break
at Emerald on Sunday, and one of the riders at the next table actually
lives on the Wall. He says going home can be a real pain sometimes.

--
Shane Stanley

essendon93
September 2nd 04, 01:30 PM
I've only discovered the 1:20 in the last couple of months, and hav
only riden it twice as I live on the otherside of town. My time wa
19.46 first go, then 19.25 on the second crack. Haven't riden the wal

--
essendon93

rickster
September 3rd 04, 12:42 AM
essendon93 > wrote in message >...
> I've only discovered the 1:20 in the last couple of months, and have
> only riden it twice as I live on the otherside of town. My time was
> 19.46 first go, then 19.25 on the second crack. Haven't riden the wall

My next door neighbour claims his best time as 12.30 minutes up the
1:20. That's some pace he'd have to moving at.

flyingdutch
September 3rd 04, 12:51 AM
rickster Wrote:

> My next door neighbour claims his best time as 12.30 minutes up the
> 1:20. That's some pace he'd have to moving at.

leaded or unleaded? ;)

--
flyingdutch

Dej
September 3rd 04, 01:46 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> rickster Wrote:
>>

>> My next door neighbour claims his best time as 12.30 minutes up the
>> 1:20. That's some pace he'd have to moving at.
>
> leaded or unleaded? ;)
>

> --
> flyingdutch

man i rekon he'd be running premium unleaded..with 'additives'

Roadie_scum
September 3rd 04, 09:15 AM
rickster Wrote:
> essendon93 My next door neighbour claims his best time as 12.30 minute
> up the
> 1:20. That's some pace he'd have to moving at.

Is your next door neigbour Nathan O'Neill? That's the only person I'v
heard claim a time like that..

--
Roadie_scum

stu
September 4th 04, 12:31 AM
> My next door neighbour claims his best time as 12.30 minutes up the
> 1:20. That's some pace he'd have to moving at.
Are you sure he said "up"? My best time down is about 12:30

dennis
September 4th 04, 05:48 AM
Hey mate Paul Richards here, don't get to beat up about your times u
the 1:20 they are relevant to your current fittness level, cycl2ma
does not have the fastest time up there, Trent Lowe 19 year old MT
rider went up there early this year in 13:02 this kid is an amazin
rider he basically is following in Cadel Evans foot steps times sub 1
min are exceptional and only the pure climbers can really do this, you
talking under 60kg people. I started riding early last year and my firs
time up there was 22min, but as i got lighter and fitter and kep
rducing that and my pb now is 14:56 but not forgetting to do this i wa
training close 1000km per week, most A grade riders will often do time
around 15 to 16 min plus, that is still moving up there.. Yes I an
most people do ride out to the climb, i live in beaumaris so it i
about a 60km ride to there, but really it is a good warm up for such
hard effort i would always do a better time riding out there jus
because my legs are properly warmed up.. The idea of the climb is t
base it on your own performances not others, aslong as your improvin
then your winning!!

Paul Richard

--
dennis

rickster
September 4th 04, 09:39 AM
Roadie_scum > wrote in message >...
> rickster Wrote:
> > essendon93 My next door neighbour claims his best time as 12.30 minutes
> > up the
> > 1:20. That's some pace he'd have to moving at.
>
> Is your next door neigbour Nathan O'Neill? That's the only person I've
> heard claim a time like that...

there was a bunch of them on that day, post one glenvale crit when
o'neal did that time, so although he is not o'neal he was with them.
i am told a few of them were able to stay with o'neal on the day (guys
like alan iucone), including my neighour.

Roadie_scum
September 5th 04, 09:54 AM
rickster Wrote:

> there was a bunch of them on that day, post one glenvale crit when
> o'neal did that time, so although he is not o'neal he was with them.
> i am told a few of them were able to stay with o'neal on the day (guys
> like alan iucone), including my neighour.

Mate, that's impressive! I suppose Alby could make it up that fast o
good form (it's not a long climb so crit form would be OK). It was jus
before nationals wasn't it? Who's your neighbour?

Were they swapping off? It's a pretty fast climb when you go nuts off
so aero advantage might help more than you'd first think (30-60 second
maybe?)

--
Roadie_scum

hippy
September 5th 04, 11:23 AM
Roadie_scum Wrote:
> Mate, that's impressive! I suppose Alby could make it up that fast on
> good form (it's not a long climb so crit form would be OK). It was just
> before nationals wasn't it? Who's your neighbour?
>
> Were they swapping off? It's a pretty fast climb when you go nuts off,
> so aero advantage might help more than you'd first think (30-60 seconds
> maybe?).

The fastest solo time I've heard about was Trent Lowe's effort of
13:02(?).
Apparently Rob Eva followed him up in a car with a video camera..
mid-12's sounds super-human..

hippy
mid-19's for this "sprinter's build" lad ;-)

--
hippy

Roadie_scum
September 5th 04, 02:40 PM
hippy Wrote:
> The fastest solo time I've heard about was Trent Lowe's effort o
> 13:02(?).
> Apparently Rob Eva followed him up in a car with a video camera..
> mid-12's sounds super-human..
>
> hippy
> mid-19's for this "sprinter's build" lad ;-)

If Trent can ride low 13's it only stands to reason a good professiona
climber or a pro TTer who's not too heavy would demolish that. Trent i
an amazing rider, but he certainly isn't up there in div I road race
yet. If he's ridden 13:02, that only makes Nathan O'Neill riding 12:3
more likely in my mind (and it's fairly likely Alby and a few other
could manage it too)

--
Roadie_scum

no spam pls.
September 5th 04, 06:30 PM
hippy > wrote in message >...
> Roadie_scum Wrote:
> > Mate, that's impressive! I suppose Alby could make it up that fast on
> > good form (it's not a long climb so crit form would be OK). It was just
> > before nationals wasn't it? Who's your neighbour?
> >
> > Were they swapping off? It's a pretty fast climb when you go nuts off,
> > so aero advantage might help more than you'd first think (30-60 seconds
> > maybe?).
>
> The fastest solo time I've heard about was Trent Lowe's effort of
> 13:02(?).
> Apparently Rob Eva followed him up in a car with a video camera..
> mid-12's sounds super-human..
>
> hippy

no spam pls.

no spam pls.

hippy
September 5th 04, 11:36 PM
Roadie_scum Wrote:
> If Trent can ride low 13's it only stands to reason a good professiona
> climber or a pro TTer who's not too heavy would demolish that. Trent i
> an amazing rider, but he certainly isn't up there in div I road race
> yet. If he's ridden 13:02, that only makes Nathan O'Neill riding 12:3
> more likely in my mind (and it's fairly likely Alby and a few other
> could manage it too).

True. I just don't know the guys that you mentioned.
Are they pro climbers/TT'ers?
If he's your neighbor.. tell the slacker to put his time in cycle2max
;-)

hipp

--
hippy

Roadie_scum
September 6th 04, 02:49 AM
hippy Wrote:
> True. I just don't know the guys that you mentioned.
> Are they pro climbers/TT'ers?
> If he's your neighbor.. tell the slacker to put his time in cycle2max
> ;-)
>
> hippy

No, not my neighbour, rickster's neighbour. That's why I asked who th
neighbour was. I stopped putting times on cycle2max because I don'
want my competitors to know my form - I think most A graders neve
started doing it :) [Still think it's a great site though].

Nathan O'Neill is the Australian National Time Trial Champion - he i
an excellent time triallist and rides in the USA for the Colavita Oliv
Oil team. Alan Iucone (Alby) was a pro for Linda McCartney an
iTeamNova, although I'm not sure what he's doing now (if anyone els
does I'd be interested to know). He has won a stage of the Herald Su
Tour and placed third in the GC an the Tour of Langkawi.

Because the 1:20 is relatively flat, it probably suits Nathan more tha
a pure climber like Trent or Alby. Prepare to see 11's if anyone can b
bothered putting big cash up and running a race around the time of th
nationals and the Tour Down Under

--
Roadie_scum

rickster
September 6th 04, 11:17 AM
Roadie_scum > wrote in message >...
> hippy Wrote:
> > True. I just don't know the guys that you mentioned.
> > Are they pro climbers/TT'ers?
> > If he's your neighbor.. tell the slacker to put his time in cycle2max!
> > ;-)
> >
> > hippy
>
> No, not my neighbour, rickster's neighbour. That's why I asked who the
> neighbour was. I stopped putting times on cycle2max because I don't
> want my competitors to know my form - I think most A graders never
> started doing it :) [Still think it's a great site though].

We'll, um, I dunno if I should give it away. I'd imagine one day I'll
**** some one off in a post and they'll google me. Find out my
neighbours name, look it up in the phone book, then come round and
punch on the nose the neighbours either side, hoping to land one on me
!!

I will say he is a little guy maybe 55 kg and rode pro in Spain for a
couple of seasons. As Mr Scum explained his time is not out of the
question for a pro. My neighbour, no longer a pro, conceeds hit
current time is a lot less now.

[snip]

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home