PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Flats

hemyd
January 12th 05, 09:30 AM
I seem to be plagued with flat tires - on every bike I've ridden. On my last
bike, at one stage I had a flat tire. Pumped it up, no probs. Then the next
morning it's flat again... changed the tube, the tyre, still goes flat.
Smoothened the wheel rims - that seemed to do it. Now I have this hybrid
only a month or so old. Get back from 11km ride from work - no probs. Check
the bike a few hours after (about half an hour ago) - bloody rear wheel
flat! No trace of any nail or such in the tyre. Pump it up to the max 75,
check the valve - no probs. Just checked it again now - still no probs.
Betcha it's flat again tomorrow morning when I'm about to ride to work! What
is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bit of riding
in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. Any ideas?

Henry.

Gags
January 12th 05, 10:16 AM
"hemyd" > wrote in message
> I seem to be plagued with flat tires - on every bike I've ridden. On my
last
> bike, at one stage I had a flat tire. Pumped it up, no probs. Then the
next
> morning it's flat again... changed the tube, the tyre, still goes flat.
> Smoothened the wheel rims - that seemed to do it. Now I have this hybrid
> only a month or so old. Get back from 11km ride from work - no probs.
Check
> the bike a few hours after (about half an hour ago) - bloody rear wheel
> flat! No trace of any nail or such in the tyre. Pump it up to the max 75,
> check the valve - no probs. Just checked it again now - still no probs.
> Betcha it's flat again tomorrow morning when I'm about to ride to work!
What
> is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bit of riding
> in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. Any ideas?
>
> Henry.

Make sure that you are using a decent set of tyre levers. I once had an
el-cheapo set that I was using and I went through 3 tubes in a row before
finally working out that there was a burr on the tip of the levers and when
I was doing the final lever in of the tyre I was ripping the tube. I
generally try not to use levers when changing a tube (especially for putting
tube back on) but on this occasion the tyre was a really tight fit on the
rim and so I needed an extra bit of help.

Ride On,

Gags

chesty
January 12th 05, 10:43 AM
"hemyd" > writes:

> I seem to be plagued with flat tires - on every bike I've ridden. On my last
> bike, at one stage I had a flat tire. Pumped it up, no probs. Then the next
> morning it's flat again... changed the tube, the tyre, still goes flat.

These are sometimes cause by tiny shards of glass embedded in the
tyre. Normally you can't see any glass on the outside of the tyre,
it's embedded in the tyre. You need to look for cuts, open them up by
bending the tyre, and check for glass in the cuts.

> Smoothened the wheel rims - that seemed to do it.

I used to get flats from cheap rim tape, i got it changed to cloth. No
flats yet.

> is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bit of riding
> in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. Any ideas?

When you get a flat, remove the tube, locate the hole by pumping it
up. If the hole is on the inside, the part that touches the rim, well,
I guess you've got to fix the rim tape somehow.

If the hole is on the outside of the tube, the part that touches the
tyre, I line the tube against the tyre to work out were the hole is in
relation to the tyre. Check for cuts in the area, open the cuts and
inspect for glass.

hemyd
January 12th 05, 12:05 PM
"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > Henry.
> >
> Make sure that you are using a decent set of tyre levers. I once had an
> el-cheapo set that I was using and I went through 3 tubes in a row before
> finally working out that there was a burr on the tip of the levers and
when
> I was doing the final lever in of the tyre I was ripping the tube. I
> generally try not to use levers when changing a tube (especially for
putting
> tube back on) but on this occasion the tyre was a really tight fit on the
> rim and so I needed an extra bit of help.
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags

Thank you. This particular bike is brand new - only a month old. Couldn't
find a reason for the flat. Tightened the valve, did a saliva test, couldn't
fault it. Stayed fine for about an hour, then flat again. I need it for work
first thing tomorrow so I replaced the tube. I used a cheap set of plastic
levers - no sharp edges though. Inserted the tube carefully and inflated it
slowly. We'll see what it does tomorrow.

I've now had probably a dozen or more flats on several different bikes, and
what bugs me is that in no cases was there any sign why the tube went flat.
What methods do you guys use for finding the cause of a flat - say, if
you're on the road?

Henry.

hemyd
January 12th 05, 12:10 PM
"chesty" > wrote in message
> "hemyd" > writes:
>

> I used to get flats from cheap rim tape, i got it changed to cloth. No
> flats yet.
>
> > is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bit of
riding
> > in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. Any ideas?
>
> When you get a flat, remove the tube, locate the hole by pumping it
> up. If the hole is on the inside, the part that touches the rim, well,
> I guess you've got to fix the rim tape somehow.
>
> If the hole is on the outside of the tube, the part that touches the
> tyre, I line the tube against the tyre to work out were the hole is in
> relation to the tyre. Check for cuts in the area, open the cuts and
> inspect for glass.

I like that rim tape idea. The tape on this bike seems to be the standard
thin rubber. I bought this current hybrid for $500, supposedly discounted
from $700 (but then again all bikes seem to have been discounted).
regardless, the first problem I had was a slipping cassette. The bike shop
changed it, telling me that "sometimes they use cheap cassettes on these
bikes". My previous bike was a "K Mart Special" mountain bike (now for $99).
I've had no problems with it, except the heavy riding due to the wide tyres.
I guess I will investigate the rim tape.

I will also pump up the tube and check where the leak is.

Thank you for the advice.

Henry.

Gags
January 12th 05, 12:43 PM
"hemyd" > wrote in message
u...
> "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Henry.
> > >
> > Make sure that you are using a decent set of tyre levers. I once had an
> > el-cheapo set that I was using and I went through 3 tubes in a row
before
> > finally working out that there was a burr on the tip of the levers and
> when
> > I was doing the final lever in of the tyre I was ripping the tube. I
> > generally try not to use levers when changing a tube (especially for
> putting
> > tube back on) but on this occasion the tyre was a really tight fit on
the
> > rim and so I needed an extra bit of help.
> >
> > Ride On,
> >
> > Gags
> >

> Thank you. This particular bike is brand new - only a month old. Couldn't
> find a reason for the flat. Tightened the valve, did a saliva test,
couldn't
> fault it. Stayed fine for about an hour, then flat again. I need it for
work
> first thing tomorrow so I replaced the tube. I used a cheap set of plastic
> levers - no sharp edges though. Inserted the tube carefully and inflated
it
> slowly. We'll see what it does tomorrow.
>
> I've now had probably a dozen or more flats on several different bikes,
and
> what bugs me is that in no cases was there any sign why the tube went
flat.
> What methods do you guys use for finding the cause of a flat - say, if
> you're on the road?
>
> Henry.

For bigger flats (ie ones that went down quick) you should be able to locate
the hole by listening for the hiss but with smaller ones it is sometimes
hard to hear them (especially if you are next to busy road). I usually
inflate the tube until it starts to get pretty big and then go around the
outside of the tube and look for the hole as usually you can see the hole
once the tube is over inflated.

It is always a good idea to lean the wheel up against something once the
tube is out and keep the tube in the same orientation as it was in the wheel
as you check for the hole. This way you only have to check in one location
for the offending sharp object in the tyre. Once you have found the hole
(always finish checking the entire tyre to make sure that there is only one)
you line up the tube to the tyre and then check in the general area for the
"sharp bit". Usually you have to fold the tyre a bit around any cuts in the
tread to "open them up" so that you can check out if there is anything left
inside. I quite often use the end of a tyre lever to assist in poking the
offending piece of glass (it is nearly always a shard of glass) back out
through the way it entered the tyre.

As I said in my previous post, it is good if you can manage to change the
tube without having to resort to levers but this will depend on your
tyre/rim combination and your wrist/thumb strength. When I was in Sydney in
the mid 90s I was on a ride and happened across an attractive girl who had a
flat on her mtb and was miles away from home. I had two spare tubes and was
on my way home and so I decided to be nice and give her one of the tubes
(the one that had been repaired about 5 times or so). I took off her wheel
and then managed to do the entire tube change, including removing the
offending piece of glass) in about 6 or 7 minutes without having to use
levers. Of course she was suitably impressed with my mechanical aptitude
and chivalrous behaviour and asked for my number so that she could reimburse
me for the inner tube. Of course I was only interested in helping the lass
(had girlfriend at the time) and so I told her not to worry about it and we
both went our respective ways.

Ride On,

Gags

Resound
January 12th 05, 12:43 PM
hemyd Wrote:
> "chesty" > wrote in message
> > "hemyd" > writes:
> >

> > I used to get flats from cheap rim tape, i got it changed to cloth
> No
> > flats yet.
> >
> > > is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bi
> of
> riding
> > > in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. An
> ideas?
> >
> > When you get a flat, remove the tube, locate the hole by pumping it
> > up. If the hole is on the inside, the part that touches the rim
> well,
> > I guess you've got to fix the rim tape somehow.
> >
> > If the hole is on the outside of the tube, the part that touches the
> > tyre, I line the tube against the tyre to work out were the hole i
> in
> > relation to the tyre. Check for cuts in the area, open the cuts and
> > inspect for glass.
>
> I like that rim tape idea. The tape on this bike seems to be th
> standard
> thin rubber. I bought this current hybrid for $500, supposedl
> discounted
> from $700 (but then again all bikes seem to have been discounted).
> regardless, the first problem I had was a slipping cassette. The bik
> shop
> changed it, telling me that "sometimes they use cheap cassettes o
> these
> bikes". My previous bike was a "K Mart Special" mountain bike (now fo
> $99).
> I've had no problems with it, except the heavy riding due to the wid
> tyres.
> I guess I will investigate the rim tape.
>
> I will also pump up the tube and check where the leak is.
>
> Thank you for the advice.
>
> Henry.

I'f they don't KNOW what kind of cassette went onto the bike, that's
bit of a worry. As far as the flat goes, I've no idea that hasn'
already been mentioned, but then I'm a bit of a cycling noob

--
Resound

hippy
January 12th 05, 12:53 PM
"hemyd"
> I've now had probably a dozen or more flats on several different bikes,
> and
> what bugs me is that in no cases was there any sign why the tube went
> flat.
> What methods do you guys use for finding the cause of a flat - say, if
> you're on the road?

90% of the time for me it's glass in the tyre that
does it. The best way to find the puncture is to
inflate the problem tube and push it under water.
This will show you exactly where the puncture
is - just look for the air bubbles escaping.
On the road I just scan the tyre for cuts - one
will probably have glass wedged deep in it..

hippy

TimC
January 12th 05, 03:47 PM
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 at 12:43 GMT, Gags (aka Bruce)
> tyre/rim combination and your wrist/thumb strength. When I was in Sydney in
> the mid 90s I was on a ride and happened across an attractive girl who had a
> flat on her mtb and was miles away from home. I had two spare tubes and was
> on my way home and so I decided to be nice and give her one of the tubes
> (the one that had been repaired about 5 times or so). I took off her wheel
> and then managed to do the entire tube change, including removing the
> offending piece of glass) in about 6 or 7 minutes without having to use
> levers. Of course she was suitably impressed with my mechanical aptitude
> and chivalrous behaviour and manly buffed muscles and toned
> body and asked for my number so that she could reimburse
> me for the inner tube. Of course I was only interested in helping the lass
> (had girlfriend at the time) and so I told her not to worry about it and we
> both went our respective ways.

Well, you could have worn disguise, and given her my number!

Also. I fixed your post for you.

Heisenberg may have been here.

Dej
January 13th 05, 01:32 AM
"hemyd" > wrote in message
>I seem to be plagued with flat tires - on every bike I've ridden. On my
>last
> bike, at one stage I had a flat tire. Pumped it up, no probs. Then the
> next
> morning it's flat again... changed the tube, the tyre, still goes flat.
> Smoothened the wheel rims - that seemed to do it. Now I have this hybrid
> only a month or so old. Get back from 11km ride from work - no probs.
> Check
> the bike a few hours after (about half an hour ago) - bloody rear wheel
> flat! No trace of any nail or such in the tyre. Pump it up to the max 75,
> check the valve - no probs. Just checked it again now - still no probs.
> Betcha it's flat again tomorrow morning when I'm about to ride to work!
> What
> is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bit of riding
> in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. Any ideas?
>
> Henry.

i went thru a prob recently with just the rear wheel constantly getting
flats..
the valve was forcing into the hole and getting a small cut on the side of
the valve.
so it'd be ok until i rode it for a few kms..the tube would move a bit and
open up the cut near the valve letting all the air out:(
new rim tape and some filing arount the valve opening to remove any sharp
bits have fixed the prob

Tamyka Bell
January 13th 05, 01:45 AM
Dej wrote:
<snip>

> i went thru a prob recently with just the rear wheel constantly getting
> flats..
> the valve was forcing into the hole and getting a small cut on the side of
> the valve.
> so it'd be ok until i rode it for a few kms..the tube would move a bit and
> open up the cut near the valve letting all the air out:(
> new rim tape and some filing arount the valve opening to remove any sharp
> bits have fixed the prob

Yeah I was getting those, I think it was when I detached the pump I was
yanking the valve stem. I took one of the busted tubes, cut a little
patch of tubing out, doubled it over and cut an eyelet through both
layers, and put it over the valve stem before putting it in my bike. It
was tricky to get it small enough that the tyre still sat in nicely
around the tube but I got it soon enough, and it has fixed the problem.
My rims on the commuter are just deep enough that a standard stem is too
short and a long stem looks ridiculous.

Marty Wallace
January 13th 05, 04:52 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> Dej wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > i went thru a prob recently with just the rear wheel constantly getting
> > flats..
> > the valve was forcing into the hole and getting a small cut on the side
of
> > the valve.
> > so it'd be ok until i rode it for a few kms..the tube would move a bit
and
> > open up the cut near the valve letting all the air out:(
> > new rim tape and some filing arount the valve opening to remove any
sharp
> > bits have fixed the prob
>
> Yeah I was getting those, I think it was when I detached the pump I was
> yanking the valve stem. I took one of the busted tubes, cut a little
> patch of tubing out, doubled it over and cut an eyelet through both
> layers, and put it over the valve stem before putting it in my bike. It
> was tricky to get it small enough that the tyre still sat in nicely
> around the tube but I got it soon enough, and it has fixed the problem.
> My rims on the commuter are just deep enough that a standard stem is too
> short and a long stem looks ridiculous.

Many many years ago (when I was 16 years old) I did a touring type ride from
Sydney to Brisbane with a friend. A hole had worn in my tyre exposing the
tube. I spotted an old leather boot on the side of the road, cut the tounge
out of it and used it to line the tyre until I got to the next bike shop.

Marty

Tamyka Bell
January 13th 05, 04:57 AM
Marty Wallace wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> > Dej wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > >
> > > i went thru a prob recently with just the rear wheel constantly getting
> > > flats..
> > > the valve was forcing into the hole and getting a small cut on the side
> of
> > > the valve.
> > > so it'd be ok until i rode it for a few kms..the tube would move a bit
> and
> > > open up the cut near the valve letting all the air out:(
> > > new rim tape and some filing arount the valve opening to remove any
> sharp
> > > bits have fixed the prob
> >
> > Yeah I was getting those, I think it was when I detached the pump I was
> > yanking the valve stem. I took one of the busted tubes, cut a little
> > patch of tubing out, doubled it over and cut an eyelet through both
> > layers, and put it over the valve stem before putting it in my bike. It
> > was tricky to get it small enough that the tyre still sat in nicely
> > around the tube but I got it soon enough, and it has fixed the problem.
> > My rims on the commuter are just deep enough that a standard stem is too
> > short and a long stem looks ridiculous.

> Many many years ago (when I was 16 years old) I did a touring type ride from
> Sydney to Brisbane with a friend. A hole had worn in my tyre exposing the
> tube. I spotted an old leather boot on the side of the road, cut the tounge
> out of it and used it to line the tyre until I got to the next bike shop.
>
> Marty

That's a fortunate find!

Out on a ride with a mate, near Sandgate, he comes to a sudden stop and,
instead of cruising into the servo to fix his flat, bails straight away.
I am stunned, there is a nail sticking OUT of his tyre. Hmmm. Big ugly
hole. I knew if we replaced the tube it'd just peek out and pop again.
I took his flat, borrowed scissors from the servo and cut a good chunk
out of the busted tube to keep the new tube safe the whole way home. It
was pretty damn scary the rest of the way though - because he was using
my last tube... which had a slow leak I hadn't fixed yet...

kingsley
January 13th 05, 09:06 AM
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:05:52 +1100, hemyd wrote:

> I've now had probably a dozen or more flats on several different bikes, and
> what bugs me is that in no cases was there any sign why the tube went flat.
> What methods do you guys use for finding the cause of a flat - say, if
> you're on the road?

Pump up the raw tube. Without the tyre encasing it, you can
usually find the hole quite easily. Feel around with your
hands for the tickle of escaping air. Once you find the hole,
then (using the valve as a marker) find whereabouts on the
tyre and rim the puncture occurred. Check that part of the
tyre for embedded objects.

-kt

kingsley
January 13th 05, 09:06 AM
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:30:36 +1100, hemyd wrote:

> I seem to be plagued with flat tires - on every bike I've ridden. On my last
> bike, at one stage I had a flat tire. Pumped it up, no probs. Then the next
> morning it's flat again... changed the tube, the tyre, still goes flat.
> Smoothened the wheel rims - that seemed to do it. Now I have this hybrid
> only a month or so old. Get back from 11km ride from work - no probs. Check
> the bike a few hours after (about half an hour ago) - bloody rear wheel
> flat! No trace of any nail or such in the tyre. Pump it up to the max 75,
> check the valve - no probs. Just checked it again now - still no probs.
> Betcha it's flat again tomorrow morning when I'm about to ride to work! What
> is it with these mysterious flats? Although I've done a fair bit of riding
> in the past ten years, I am not an expert on this in any way. Any ideas?

Where abouts is the hole when you repair it?

If you have machine-built wheels, somtimes where the nipples
are ground off, you can get metal shards sticking up. Check for
these. Also as someone else said, check for stuff embedded in
the wall of the tyre. Run you fingers (carefully) around the inside
of the tyre.

-kt

hemyd
January 13th 05, 11:15 AM
I'm getting paranoid in my old age. Not finding any reason for the flat, and
not wanting to go riding on the new tube without knowing what caused the
flat, I went to the bike shop where I bought the bike to buy a thorn
resistant tube. The very expert fellow there checked out the puncture,
followed it to the position on the tyre, then found a cut in the thread.
Inside that was a sliver of glass, having penetrated but just below the
inside surface of the tyre, all ready to cause the next puncture. Got an
expert repair and off I went to work. I got a bit cheesed off last night
finding that flat and needing the bike the following morning.....

Henry.

The shop is Bicycle Recycle in Moorabbin, a family business. Although I am
far from expert, I'm developing a respect for them...

"hemyd" > wrote in message
u...
> "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Henry.
> > >
> > Make sure that you are using a decent set of tyre levers. I once had an
> > el-cheapo set that I was using and I went through 3 tubes in a row
before
> > finally working out that there was a burr on the tip of the levers and
> when
> > I was doing the final lever in of the tyre I was ripping the tube. I
> > generally try not to use levers when changing a tube (especially for
> putting
> > tube back on) but on this occasion the tyre was a really tight fit on
the
> > rim and so I needed an extra bit of help.
> >
> > Ride On,
> >
> > Gags
> >

> Thank you. This particular bike is brand new - only a month old. Couldn't
> find a reason for the flat. Tightened the valve, did a saliva test,
couldn't
> fault it. Stayed fine for about an hour, then flat again. I need it for
work
> first thing tomorrow so I replaced the tube. I used a cheap set of plastic
> levers - no sharp edges though. Inserted the tube carefully and inflated
it
> slowly. We'll see what it does tomorrow.
>
> I've now had probably a dozen or more flats on several different bikes,
and
> what bugs me is that in no cases was there any sign why the tube went
flat.
> What methods do you guys use for finding the cause of a flat - say, if
> you're on the road?
>
> Henry.

Andrew Reddaway
January 13th 05, 11:40 AM
hemyd wrote:

> I like that rim tape idea. The tape on this bike seems to be the
> standard thin rubber. I bought this current hybrid for $500,
> supposedly discounted from $700 (but then again all bikes seem to
> have been discounted). regardless, the first problem I had was a
> slipping cassette. The bike shop changed it, telling me that
> "sometimes they use cheap cassettes on these bikes". My previous bike
> was a "K Mart Special" mountain bike (now for $99). I've had no
> problems with it, except the heavy riding due to the wide tyres. I
> guess I will investigate the rim tape.
>
> I will also pump up the tube and check where the leak is.
>
> Thank you for the advice.
>
> Henry.

Cheap rim tape like that initially caused flats on my latest bike.
Another thing to watch for is the hole in the rim for the valve - if
the hole's got a sharp edge, it can make a thin cut in the rubber
around the valve "stem".

Marty Wallace
January 13th 05, 12:30 PM
"hemyd" > wrote in message
u...
> I'm getting paranoid in my old age. Not finding any reason for the flat,
and
> not wanting to go riding on the new tube without knowing what caused the
> flat, I went to the bike shop where I bought the bike to buy a thorn
> resistant tube. The very expert fellow there checked out the puncture,
> followed it to the position on the tyre, then found a cut in the thread.
> Inside that was a sliver of glass, having penetrated but just below the
> inside surface of the tyre, all ready to cause the next puncture. Got an
> expert repair and off I went to work. I got a bit cheesed off last night
> finding that flat and needing the bike the following morning.....
>
> Henry.
>
> The shop is Bicycle Recycle in Moorabbin, a family business. Although I am
> far from expert, I'm developing a respect for them...

Isn't it funny how things become blindingly obvious AFTER you ask someone
else for help.
Oh well....you get that.

Marty

hippy
January 14th 05, 01:19 AM
"kingsley" > wrote in message
> Pump up the raw tube. Without the tyre encasing it, you can
> usually find the hole quite easily. Feel around with your
> hands for the tickle of escaping air. Once you find the hole,
> then (using the valve as a marker) find whereabouts on the
> tyre and rim the puncture occurred. Check that part of the
> tyre for embedded objects.

It's the ones you can't find by listening that require the water
method. I'd also suggest checking the 'whole' tyre for embedded
crap in case there were multiple penetrations (kinky).

I run my fingers around the inside of the tyre a few times and
occasionally inspect the outside of the tyre, checking for
those 'soon to cause puncture' bits of glass and cuts.

hippy

hemyd
January 15th 05, 10:00 AM
> [...]
> the mid 90s I was on a ride and happened across an attractive girl who had
> flat on her mtb and was miles away from home. I had two spare tubes and
was
> on my way home and so I decided to be nice and give her one of the tubes
> (the one that had been repaired about 5 times or so). I took off her
wheel
> and then managed to do the entire tube change, including removing the
> offending piece of glass) in about 6 or 7 minutes without having to use
> levers. Of course she was suitably impressed with my mechanical aptitude
> and chivalrous behaviour and asked for my number so that she could
reimburse
> me for the inner tube. Of course I was only interested in helping the
lass
> (had girlfriend at the time) and so I told her not to worry about it and

That's great advice, Gags.

The fellow at the bike shop did exactly that - inflated the bad tube,
tracked the location to that on the tyre; found and pulled out the offending
piece of glass; patched it up; put it back on the bike - no levers.

Thank you.

Henry.

mfhor
January 15th 05, 11:01 AM
hemyd Wrote:

> That's great advice, Gags.
>
> The fellow at the bike shop did exactly that - inflated the bad tube,
> tracked the location to that on the tyre; found and pulled out th
> offending
> piece of glass; patched it up; put it back on the bike - no levers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Henry.

Thats why you should put your valve next to the tyre decal, for hol
location purposes.

Also, southern latitudes people, beware! It's Bindii season!

There's always a cause for punctures, even 2mm broken off thorn
embedded invisibly in the tread - check EVERY little cut or visibl
brown spot on the tyre - it could be a thorn, or hold a miniscule shar
of glass (quod erat demonstrandum). Get a steel skewer or an old spok
ground sharp to pick the little *******s out. Almost as satisfying as
good fart, when you finally get it out!

Cloth rim tape is great as well. Machine built wheels usually have a
least one ripped-up nipple head, file it off first.

I really like Vredestien tyres for low puncture probabilit
(frantically touches wood!) and low rolling resistance and lively feel
even in their cheapies. Ta, Dutchy, youse guys really know how to make
tyre!

M "gradually becoming a Vredecentric bikefleet owner"

--
mfhor

DaveB
January 15th 05, 10:14 PM
After a spate of flats on my commuter I used a couple (one per wheel) of
old tubes as liner between the tyre and the tube (well the one that gets
pumped up). I figured the extra weight wasn't going to make any
difference and haven't had a puncture since. Can anyone see any issues
with doing this?

DaveB "c'mon puncture gods, I dare you"

SteveDel
January 17th 05, 02:42 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> After a spate of flats on my commuter I used a couple (one per wheel
> of
> old tubes as liner between the tyre and the tube (well the one tha
> gets
> pumped up). I figured the extra weight wasn't going to make any
> difference and haven't had a puncture since. Can anyone see any issues
> with doing this?
>
> DaveB "c'mon puncture gods, I dare you"

RESEARCH?

DaveB challenged the puncture gods and I am interested to know just ho
many readers of this thread have "punctured" since the thread wa
started and they either read or contributed. Am a bit of a sceptic
but still don't like pushing my luck by discussing the dreaded "P".
'Cause once I go there, I almost always get one. Please note (finger
crossed) I haven't discussed this issue nor succumbed since I purchase
a set of Specialised Flakjackets six months ago (1200+km commuting i
Sydney). Last "P" was a bindi the size of a cherry pip with barbs lik
blue tacks(pre flakjackets and the reason for the purchase).

paying due homage to the PG's

Stevede

--
SteveDel

Marty Wallace
January 17th 05, 03:09 AM
"SteveDel" > wrote in message

> DaveB Wrote:
> > After a spate of flats on my commuter I used a couple (one per wheel)
> > of
> > old tubes as liner between the tyre and the tube (well the one that
> > gets
> > pumped up). I figured the extra weight wasn't going to make any
> > difference and haven't had a puncture since. Can anyone see any issues
> > with doing this?
> >
> > DaveB "c'mon puncture gods, I dare you"
>
> RESEARCH?
>
> DaveB challenged the puncture gods and I am interested to know just how
> many readers of this thread have "punctured" since the thread was
> started and they either read or contributed. Am a bit of a sceptic,
> but still don't like pushing my luck by discussing the dreaded "P".
> 'Cause once I go there, I almost always get one. Please note (fingers
> crossed) I haven't discussed this issue nor succumbed since I purchased
> a set of Specialised Flakjackets six months ago (1200+km commuting in
> Sydney). Last "P" was a bindi the size of a cherry pip with barbs like
> blue tacks(pre flakjackets and the reason for the purchase).
>
> paying due homage to the PG's
>
> Stevedel
>

> --
> SteveDel

Yesterday I FINALLY fixed a mountain bike tube that I found flat just before
our Saturday afternoon ride. It actually started before our Wednesday night
ride. Just before getting on I noticed it was pretty soft, so I put some air
into it and 10 minutes later it was soft again. Not having time to do a
repair, I swapped it for my old spare wheel and took off.
Next day, I pull out the tube, find the hole and patch it. Pump it up, put
it back in the bike, goes flat again. Bugger. Pull it out, find another
hole, patch it, find some pointy things sticking through the tyre, remove
them, put it all back together and stick it in the bike. Right, all fixed.
Not so.
Go to use the bike on Saturday. Same tyre flat again. Bugger! Use the spare
wheel again.
Sunday, pull out the BAD tube, pump it up, immerse it in the hand basin full
of water. AHA! Two tiny holes AND the valve is leaking. I tighten up the
little not on the valve, bubbles from there stop. Put patches on the other
two leaks, BINGO! The tube finally holds air. Left the inflated tube
overnight and it's still inflated.

I don't know if I've upset the puncture gods but maybe I'll sacrifice a goat
at midnight just to make sure.

Marty

mfhor
January 17th 05, 12:21 PM
Marty Wallace Wrote:
> [...]
> hole, patch it, find some pointy things sticking through the tyre
> remov
> them, put it all back together and stick it in the bike. Right, al
> fixed
> Not so
> Go to use the bike on Saturday. Same tyre flat again. Bugger! Use th
> spar
> wheel again
> Sunday, pull out the BAD tube, pump it up, immerse it in the hand basi
> ful
> of water. AHA! Two tiny holes AND the valve is leaking. I tighten u
> th
> little not on the valve, bubbles from there stop. Put patches on th
> othe
> two leaks, BINGO! The tube finally holds air. Left the inflated tub
> overnight and it's still inflated
>
> I don't know if I've upset the puncture gods but maybe I'll sacrifice

How many patches on that tube now? After giving me all that greif (i
it had been me), that tube would be well along in its alternativ
career path of understudy for car bungee cord, or dog plaything.

M "some tubes are cursed, but happy tyres, happy rimtape and happy rim
make the badness go away"

--
mfhor

Marty Wallace
January 17th 05, 01:02 PM
"mfhor" > wrote in message

> [...]
> > full
> > of water. AHA! Two tiny holes AND the valve is leaking. I tighten up
> > the
> > little not on the valve, bubbles from there stop. Put patches on the
> > other
> > two leaks, BINGO! The tube finally holds air. Left the inflated tube
> > overnight and it's still inflated.
> >
> > I don't know if I've upset the puncture gods but maybe I'll sacrifice a
> > goat
> > at midnight just to make sure.
> >
> > Marty
> How many patches on that tube now? After giving me all that greif (if
> it had been me), that tube would be well along in its alternative
> career path of understudy for car bungee cord, or dog plaything.
>
> M "some tubes are cursed, but happy tyres, happy rimtape and happy rims

It ended up with 5 patches on, which caused me to break open the emergency
patch supply. Also used up nearly a tube of glue. (sniff)

I was determined that this "tube from hell" would not beat me, and at the
next opportunity it will be going back on the wheel where it belongs.

Marty

mfhor
January 17th 05, 09:02 PM
Marty Wallace Wrote:
> [...]
> > > goa
> > > at midnight just to make sure
> >
> > > Mart
> > How many patches on that tube now? After giving me all that greif (i
> > it had been me), that tube would be well along in its alternativ
> > career path of understudy for car bungee cord, or dog plaything
>
> > M "some tubes are cursed, but happy tyres, happy rimtape and happ
> rim
> > make the badness go away"
>

> > -
> > mfho
>

> It ended up with 5 patches on, which caused me to break open th
> emergenc
> patch supply. Also used up nearly a tube of glue. (sniff
>
> I was determined that this "tube from hell" would not beat me, and a
> th
> next opportunity it will be going back on the wheel where it belongs

Sounds a bit obsessive to me - tubes are $6, just ditch the skanky ho
it's not an ego thing, it's a 'time on the bike vs. time spent fixin
it' thing. Something as molehilly as a tube is stopping you fixin
something as mountainy as lack of aerobic fitness (you can always ge
more), perspective, earning money to buy better tyres (thus removin
the problem at its source) and lack of fun in your life!

But then, in a western, cheap-labour-supported industry like ours, I
throw away around 10 tubes a day, some of them with one (1) hole in
them. My labour time in the shop is more expensive than someone else's
in Thailand.

But a good patch on a tube is a thing of beauty . . . yes, I have a
warped aesthetic.

M "Butyl or latex? Latex, butyl makes me come out in a rash" H

--
mfhor

Marty Wallace
January 18th 05, 12:42 AM
"mfhor" > wrote in message

> Marty Wallace Wrote:

> > in
> >
> > It ended up with 5 patches on, which caused me to break open the
> > emergency
> > patch supply. Also used up nearly a tube of glue. (sniff)
> >
> > I was determined that this "tube from hell" would not beat me, and at
> > the
> > next opportunity it will be going back on the wheel where it belongs.
> >
> > Marty
> Sounds a bit obsessive to me - tubes are $6, just ditch the skanky ho:
> it's not an ego thing, it's a 'time on the bike vs. time spent fixing
> it' thing. Something as molehilly as a tube is stopping you fixing
> something as mountainy as lack of aerobic fitness (you can always get
> more), perspective, earning money to buy better tyres (thus removing
> the problem at its source) and lack of fun in your life!
>
> But then, in a western, cheap-labour-supported industry like ours, I
> throw away around 10 tubes a day, some of them with one (1) hole in
> them. My labour time in the shop is more expensive than someone else's
> in Thailand.
>
> But a good patch on a tube is a thing of beauty . . . yes, I have a
> warped aesthetic.
>
> M "Butyl or latex? Latex, butyl makes me come out in a rash" H
>

> --
> mfhor

I've already got about ten "used" tubes lying around so I'm forcing myself
to get a bit more use out of them. Save the world and all that sort of
stuff.

Marty

RexelLP10
January 18th 05, 08:16 AM
"SteveDel" > wrote in message

> DaveB Wrote:
> > After a spate of flats on my commuter I used a couple (one per wheel)
> > of
> > old tubes as liner between the tyre and the tube (well the one that
> > gets
> > pumped up). I figured the extra weight wasn't going to make any
> > difference and haven't had a puncture since. Can anyone see any issues
> > with doing this?
> >
> > DaveB "c'mon puncture gods, I dare you"
>
> RESEARCH?
>
> DaveB challenged the puncture gods and I am interested to know just how
> many readers of this thread have "punctured" since the thread was
> started and they either read or contributed. Am a bit of a sceptic,
> but still don't like pushing my luck by discussing the dreaded "P".
> 'Cause once I go there, I almost always get one. Please note (fingers
> crossed) I haven't discussed this issue nor succumbed since I purchased
> a set of Specialised Flakjackets six months ago (1200+km commuting in
> Sydney). Last "P" was a bindi the size of a cherry pip with barbs like
> blue tacks(pre flakjackets and the reason for the purchase).
>
> paying due homage to the PG's
>
> Stevedel
>

> --
> SteveDel

Flakjackets are a great tyre...and affordable too. Is there a similar
product for a roadie running around 120 psi?

mfhor
January 18th 05, 11:25 AM
RexelLP10 Wrote:
> "SteveDel" > wrote i
> message
> >
> > DaveB Wrote:
> > > After a spate of flats on my commuter I used a couple (one pe
> wheel)
> > > of
> > > old tubes as liner between the tyre and the tube (well the on
> that
> > > gets
> > > pumped up). I figured the extra weight wasn't going to make any
> > > difference and haven't had a puncture since. Can anyone see an
> issues
> > > with doing this?
> > >
> > > DaveB "c'mon puncture gods, I dare you"
> >
> > RESEARCH?
> >
> > DaveB challenged the puncture gods and I am interested to know jus
> how
> > many readers of this thread have "punctured" since the thread was
> > started and they either read or contributed. Am a bit of a sceptic,
> > but still don't like pushing my luck by discussing the dreaded "P".
> > 'Cause once I go there, I almost always get one. Please not
> (fingers
> > crossed) I haven't discussed this issue nor succumbed since
> purchased
> > a set of Specialised Flakjackets six months ago (1200+km commutin
> in
> > Sydney). Last "P" was a bindi the size of a cherry pip with barb
> like
> > blue tacks(pre flakjackets and the reason for the purchase).
> >
> > paying due homage to the PG's
> >
> > Stevedel
> >

> > --
> > SteveDel
> >

> Flakjackets are a great tyre...and affordable too. Is there a similar
> product for a roadie running around 120 psi?

If it's really a "roadie" tyre, there's all sorts of reasons not t
weight the rim of your gyroscopes up if you want to win tha
sprint/KOM. Buy any reputably tough mid-level (not necessarily light
tyre, eg. Conti GatorSkin, Vredestein Ricorso (my current favourite)
Vittoria Rubino, Michelin Megamium, et c. for doin
training/junk/commuting miles on. Keep your <190g tyres for going fas
on. KEEP THEM PUMPED UP to 100 psi, so, BUY A TRACK PUMP with a GAUGE
You would not believe how much of a difference on puncture occurenc
this makes if done regularly.

M "have I missed anything? Fssshhhh...."

--
mfhor

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home