PDA

View Full Version : tired of being dropped:(

Dej
January 19th 05, 10:25 AM
ok, 5th race at kew tonight and yet again i was dropped in less than 10
mins..
i stuck around till 20 mins in the race and gave up (i'd been lapped by c
grade twice)
its getting a bit depressing really:(
what kinda training do i need to do to stick with the bunch? I dont care
about winning, i'm happy to finish at the moment.
Wore the polar tonight, ave hr was 160, max was 179 which is pretty high for
me. It usually tops out at 165 when i do the mt dandy climbs

The past couple of weeks ive done a few training rides at the kew track. 2
sprints up the hill, slow lap, 2 sprints on the back straight, slow lap etc
etc for about 30-45 mins before going to work.

Dont know what else to do:(

hippy
January 19th 05, 10:46 AM
"Dej"
> ok, 5th race at kew tonight and yet again i was dropped in less than 10
> mins..
> i stuck around till 20 mins in the race and gave up (i'd been lapped by c
> grade twice)
> its getting a bit depressing really:(
> what kinda training do i need to do to stick with the bunch? I dont care
> about winning, i'm happy to finish at the moment.
> Wore the polar tonight, ave hr was 160, max was 179 which is pretty high
> for me. It usually tops out at 165 when i do the mt dandy climbs
>
> The past couple of weeks ive done a few training rides at the kew track. 2
> sprints up the hill, slow lap, 2 sprints on the back straight, slow lap
> etc etc for about 30-45 mins before going to work.
>
> Dont know what else to do:(

Try doing longer efforts. You are doing 2 sprints up the hills
and 2 down the back straight - I'm guessing these don't last
for very long? After doing your base kays (pfft!) you need
to be working on being able to maintain race pace for the full
duration. You'd probably start by riding at slightly below race
pace but hard enough to be uncomfortable for 10min, 5min
rest then 10min. Then easy day the next day and then efforts
again. Do these for a few weeks and then increase the duration
of the efforts, ie 15min. Then you increase the HR of the efforts.
It's all about pain. Pain, pain, pain.. how long you endure the
pain and how intense the pain is.. :-)
If you have some spare cash.. give it to this man..
www.aboc.com.au
Tell him hippy sent you. Actually he's out of town for TDU
so you'll have to wait..

hippy
P.S. Don't do those efforts the day before the race and
don't do too many. You need to allow recovery time.
I do mine on the Hawthorn velodrome - you are welcome
to watch me suffer and join in if you want :-)

flyingdutch
January 19th 05, 11:38 AM
Dej Wrote:
> ok, 5th race at kew tonight and yet again i was dropped in less than 10
> mins..
> i stuck around till 20 mins in the race and gave up (i'd been lapped b
> grade twice)
> its getting a bit depressing really:(
> what kinda training do i need to do to stick with the bunch? I don
> care
> about winning, i'm happy to finish at the moment.
> Wore the polar tonight, ave hr was 160, max was 179 which is prett
> high for
> me. It usually tops out at 165 when i do the mt dandy climbs
>
> The past couple of weeks ive done a few training rides at the ke
> track. 2
> sprints up the hill, slow lap, 2 sprints on the back straight, slow la
> etc
> etc for about 30-45 mins before going to work.
>
> Dont know what else to do:(

Leading up to my first race I was just commuting everyday and BR's o
the weekends.
Riding as frequently as possible definetely helps, weightloss (guilty!
helps ****eloads (but that will come if you do the othe stuff and as yo
feel better you start to feel less inclined to have that 27th bee
:rolleyes:)
aboc did wonders for me. not just the riding program but tips abou ho
to ride the damn races. I think i started with him about the same tim
you started Kew...
If its any consolation you are following almost EXACTLY the sam
results I had when I started. Drop the sprints, go for duratio

--
flyingdutch

hippy
January 19th 05, 11:59 PM
"flyingdutch"
> Riding as frequently as possible definetely helps, weightloss (guilty!)
> helps ****eloads (but that will come if you do the othe stuff and as you
> feel better you start to feel less inclined to have that 27th beer
> :rolleyes:)

I weigh only a little less.. but I'm sure I'm leaner..

hippy

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home