PDA

View Full Version : New Bike for Gags

Gags
June 7th 05, 09:42 AM
Woohoo......got me a new bike (actually second hand but new for me!!).

It is a Cecil Walker frame (steel is real) that has a 62cm seat post at a
pretty relaxed angle. It was bought in about 2000, was raced for a couple
of years and then stored ever since. It is in pretty good nick apart from a
couple of patches of surface rust (I am planning on getting it resprayed).

Dutch will be happy to know that I have crossed over to the dark side as it
is running Chorus 9spd (my first experience with Campag). The only
exception to this is that the rear brake has been replaced at some stage
with an Ultegra one. I am planning on replacing this with a Campag one (Did
you manage to strip your bike of parts before doing the insurance claim
Dutch?).

I spoke to Lee from CW about it before I bought it and he reckoned that the
frame would be pretty close to my size and would be worth about $1200 on its
own if I wanted to buy one new. I was pretty happy as I ended up getting
the complete bike for $600 so I have some money left over to bring it up to
scratch.

Question time:

Apart from Cecil Walker, has anyone got any recommendations for getting a
bike repainted in Melb?

Anyone got a spare rear Campag brake (preferably Chorus) that they want to
sell?

Where is the best place to start looking for replacement rubber hoods for
the ergo levers?

Ride On,

Gags (now the proud owner of 4 bikes and two frames that I am building
up!!!)

flyingdutch
June 7th 05, 10:27 AM
coooooll !

62cm. heyzooos. no wonder everyone wants to get your wheel :D

I have an Athena rear brake doing nothing in my shed.
maybe we can swap something?

spare hoods retail on Oz are gonna be thru CW as Darren(?)s brothe
handles all the import of campag/bianchi/and almost averything else yo
havent thought of...
otherwise its off to eBay for you lad

Hang on. 9spd chorus. does it have the 'soft' tops on the ergos or th
'pointy' ones? i think the chaneover happened beofre 2000 but i ain
sure...
I have a 8spd Veloce/Athena grouppo sitting in the shed which wa
pre-chorus upgrade.

as for campag stuff in general, this is a great reference and part
place:

http://www.branfordbike.com/catindex/cindex1.html

(their post '99 hoods are $39US btw...)

As for paintjobs. PeterMoore has someone he uses..

--
flyingdutch

Resound
June 7th 05, 02:40 PM
"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
> Woohoo......got me a new bike (actually second hand but new for me!!).
>
> It is a Cecil Walker frame (steel is real) that has a 62cm seat post at a
> pretty relaxed angle. It was bought in about 2000, was raced for a couple
> of years and then stored ever since. It is in pretty good nick apart from
> couple of patches of surface rust (I am planning on getting it resprayed).
>
> Dutch will be happy to know that I have crossed over to the dark side as
> it
> is running Chorus 9spd (my first experience with Campag). The only
> exception to this is that the rear brake has been replaced at some stage
> with an Ultegra one. I am planning on replacing this with a Campag one
> (Did
> you manage to strip your bike of parts before doing the insurance claim
> Dutch?).
>
> I spoke to Lee from CW about it before I bought it and he reckoned that
> the
> frame would be pretty close to my size and would be worth about $1200 on
> its
> own if I wanted to buy one new. I was pretty happy as I ended up getting
> the complete bike for $600 so I have some money left over to bring it up
> scratch.
>
> Question time:
>
> Apart from Cecil Walker, has anyone got any recommendations for getting a
> bike repainted in Melb?
>
> Anyone got a spare rear Campag brake (preferably Chorus) that they want to
> sell?
>
> Where is the best place to start looking for replacement rubber hoods for
> the ergo levers?
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags (now the proud owner of 4 bikes and two frames that I am building
> up!!!)

Nice buy! I am...how you say...jealous as fsck. Chorus 9spd gruppo certainly
wouldn't go astray here, or pretty well anywhere, I suspect.

flyingdutch
June 7th 05, 11:45 PM
Resound Wrote:

> Nice buy! I am...how you say...jealous as fsck. Chorus 9spd grupp
> certainly
> wouldn't go astray here, or pretty well anywhere, I suspect.

except for those with 10spd Chorus :D (sorry. couldnt resist)
that means Im 10% faster than Gags, right?

now if only they will hurry up and come out with the inevitable 11sp
so I can be 9% fatser than everyone in races :rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

SteveA
June 8th 05, 02:48 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> except for those with 10spd Chorus :D (sorry. couldnt resist
> that means Im 10% faster than Gags, right
>
> now if only they will hurry up and come out with the inevitable 11sp
> so I can be 9% fatser than everyone in races :rolleyes:

I know it's mean to pick on typo's but..

Fatser = Fatter + Faster ????:D

Steve(we are the loudest band in the world - the knobs on our amps g
up to 11)

--
SteveA

flyingdutch
June 8th 05, 03:20 AM
SteveA Wrote:
> I know it's mean to pick on typo's but...
>

> Fatser = Fatter + Faster ????:D
>

> Steve(we are the loudest band in the world - the knobs on our amps g
> up to 11)A

Oi! I aint fat. Im a Sprinter!! :rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

Bikesoiler
June 8th 05, 03:22 AM
Gags Wrote:
> Woohoo......got me a new bike (actually second hand but new for me!!).
> <snip>
> Question time:
>
> Apart from Cecil Walker, has anyone got any recommendations for gettin
> bike repainted in Melb?
>
> <snip>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags (now the proud owner of 4 bikes and two frames that I am building
> up!!!)

Do you want paint or powdercoat?

Gripsport have a good powdercoater & I've heard that one in Bell S
Preston has done bike frames before

--
Bikesoiler

PiledHigher
June 8th 05, 05:40 AM
I have some older Campag brake calipers (they aren't silver) and were
few years old when I got them so probably circa '94ish (no model name)
Swapped them out on that Shimagnolo equipped bike as I prefer th
Shimano brake quick releases

--
PiledHigher

Marty
June 8th 05, 06:02 AM
SteveA wrote:

> Steve(we are the loudest band in the world - the knobs on our amps go
> up to 11)A

"Make everything louder than everything else."

Deep Purple tuning up on their Made in Japan album.

Marty

SteveA
June 8th 05, 07:16 AM
Marty Wrote:
> SteveA wrote
>

> > Steve(we are the loudest band in the world - the knobs on our amps g
> > up to 11)
>

> "Make everything louder than everything else.
>
> Deep Purple tuning up on their Made in Japan album
>

> Marty

So who recognises this exchange between Rock Journo and Muso?....
(apologies for the length of the quote

::N::igel::: ...the numbers all go to ::-::eleven-::::
Look...right across the board

::::M::arty::: Ahh...oh, I see...

N::igel::: Eleven...eleven...eleven...

M::arty::: ..and most of these amps go up to ten...

N::igel::: ::-::Exactly-::::

M::arty::: Does that mean it’s...louder? Is it any louder

N::igel::: Well, it’s ::-::one -::::louder, isn’t it? It’s no
ten. You see, most...most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten
You’re on ten here...all the way up...all the way up...

M::arty::: Yeah...

N::igel::: ...all the way up. You’re on ten on you
guitar...where can you go from there? Where

M::arty::: I don’t know...

N::igel::: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is if we need tha
extra.. push over the cliff...you know what we do

M::arty::: Put it up to eleven

N::igel::: Eleven. Exactly. One louder

M::arty::: Why don’t you just make ten louder and make ten be th
top... number... and make that a little louder

::::(pause

::::N::igel::: These go to eleven

:

--
SteveA

Andrew Blake
June 8th 05, 01:02 PM
"SteveA" > wrote in message
> So who recognises this exchange between Rock Journo and Muso?.....
> (apologies for the length of the quote)
>
><eleventy line snip>

That'd have to be Spinal Tap wouldn't it? (Custom volume knob on my MAME
cabinet goes to 11 too ;-)

SteveA
June 8th 05, 04:18 PM
Andrew Blake Wrote:
> "SteveA" > wrote in messag
> ..
> > So who recognises this exchange between Rock Journo and Muso?....
> > (apologies for the length of the quote
>
> ><eleventy line snip
>
> That'd have to be Spinal Tap wouldn't it? (Custom volume knob on m
> MAM
> cabinet goes to 11 too ;-)

Yep, got it in on

Steve

--
SteveA

Gags
June 9th 05, 11:01 AM
"Bikesoiler" > wrote in
message ...

> Gags Wrote:
> > Woohoo......got me a new bike (actually second hand but new for me!!).
> > <snip>
> > Question time:
> >
> > Apart from Cecil Walker, has anyone got any recommendations for getting
> > bike repainted in Melb?
> >
> > <snip>
> > Ride On,
> >
> > Gags (now the proud owner of 4 bikes and two frames that I am building
> > up!!!)
>
> Do you want paint or powdercoat?
>
> Gripsport have a good powdercoater & I've heard that one in Bell St
> Preston has done bike frames before.
>
> --
> Bikesoiler

Initially I was thinking of powder coating as I was under the impression
that it is very durable but I have since been told that a decent paint job
would be more durable??? Now I am not sure which way to go??

Anyone had much experience with powdercoating??

Gags

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home