PDA

View Full Version : 10 spd campag chain rings

June 8th 05, 12:18 AM
Am replacing my 39/53 10 speed chain rings. Does anyone know if you
can use older 9 speed chain rings, or do you have to use chain rings
made specialy 10 speed ?

I've been browsing around on line and some are sold as being 8/9/10
speed compatible ?

Hello Sheldon, can you answer ?

flyingdutch
June 8th 05, 01:28 AM
Wrote:
> Am replacing my 39/53 10 speed chain rings. Does anyone know if you
> can use older 9 speed chain rings, or do you have to use chain rings
> made specialy 10 speed ?
>
> I've been browsing around on line and some are sold as being 8/9/10
> speed compatible ?
>
> Hello Sheldon, can you answer ?

I have been using (well...) a BBB 39T replacement over my prior choru
10spd 42T and i reckon it shifted better than the 42T one. guess tha
doesnt really help your scenario tho.
from branfordbike.com...
"Campagnolo did not change their rings when they went from 8 to
speed, and only changed the outer ring when they went to 10spd.

Record, Chorus, Athena, Daytona and Centaur 8/9 and 10 speed inne
rings are identical. Record 8/9 outer rings are identical to Chorus
Athena, Centaur and Daytona 8/9 except for the placement of the chai
roll off pin.
The Record roll off pin is next to a bolt hole; Chorus, Athena, Centau
and Daytona has the roll off pin mid-way between two bolt holes.

Campagnolo changed their outer ring when they moved to 10 speed. It wa
milled .04 mm on the backside so it would sit closer to the inner rin
to accomadate the narrower 10 speed chain."

if your on shimano i guess nothing will be compatible, knowing them
:rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

adam
June 8th 05, 01:04 PM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> Wrote:
>> Am replacing my 39/53 10 speed chain rings. Does anyone know if you
>> can use older 9 speed chain rings, or do you have to use chain rings
>> made specialy 10 speed ?
>>
>> I've been browsing around on line and some are sold as being 8/9/10
>> speed compatible ?
>>
>> Hello Sheldon, can you answer ?
>
> I have been using (well...) a BBB 39T replacement over my prior chorus
> 10spd 42T and i reckon it shifted better than the 42T one. guess that
> doesnt really help your scenario tho.
> from branfordbike.com...
> "Campagnolo did not change their rings when they went from 8 to 9
> speed, and only changed the outer ring when they went to 10spd.
>
> Record, Chorus, Athena, Daytona and Centaur 8/9 and 10 speed inner
> rings are identical. Record 8/9 outer rings are identical to Chorus,
> Athena, Centaur and Daytona 8/9 except for the placement of the chain
> roll off pin.
> The Record roll off pin is next to a bolt hole; Chorus, Athena, Centaur
> and Daytona has the roll off pin mid-way between two bolt holes.
>
> Campagnolo changed their outer ring when they moved to 10 speed. It was
> milled .04 mm on the backside so it would sit closer to the inner ring
> to accomadate the narrower 10 speed chain."
>
> if your on shimano i guess nothing will be compatible, knowing them
> :rolleyes:
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Do a googlegroups search on rec.bicycles.tech. The 9 speed big chainring
will work fine, but like dutchy said a proper 10 speed large chainring is
milled 0.4mm (not .04mm) on the backside to bring the chainrings closer
together. To be honest I'm not sure whether I've got a 10sp or 9sp big ring
on my chorus setup.

The only thing I don't like about campag is the front shifting from small to
big. Maybe mine needs a bit of tweaking but it takes two throws of the lever
to shift from small to big which is a bit annoying. It's nice to have all
the trim positions but I'd like to be able to shift in one go. Other campy
riders find the same thing?

Adam

flyingdutch
June 8th 05, 02:25 PM
adam Wrote:

> The only thing I don't like about campag is the front shifting fro
> small to
> big. Maybe mine needs a bit of tweaking but it takes two throws of th
> lever
> to shift from small to big which is a bit annoying. It's nice to hav
> all
> the trim positions but I'd like to be able to shift in one go. Othe
> campy
> riders find the same thing?
>
> Adam

strange... never realy thought of it like that :rolleyes:
something related to being able to trim the FD (derailleur! nobody'
trimmin me!) to avoid chainrub according to which rear sprocket your
on?

Could also be cos you have the option of using the same front ergo t
operate a triple front mech/FD, which apparently Shimano cant (is tha
right?). I personally (dont think so anyway) dont have any problem
going from small to big at the front, altho had many problems i
changing from big to small (come to think of it the other way too! se
last Kew RR :mad: ) under duress/racing! But then again Im running
long cage RD which probably odesnt take up the slack quickly enuff fo
racing going form big-to-small. sig

--
flyingdutch

Steve
June 8th 05, 03:05 PM
We have some 135 Campagnolo compat. Gebhardt chainrings from Europe in our
relocation sale , $35 for inner ,$45 for outer work with 8/9/10. Email me
for more specifics
Steve
http://www.ideal1984.blogspot.com
www.idealcycles.com

till!
June 8th 05, 03:21 PM
adam Wrote:
> The only thing I don't like about campag is the front shifting fro
> small t
> big. Maybe mine needs a bit of tweaking but it takes two throws of th
> leve
> to shift from small to big which is a bit annoying. It's nice to hav
> al
> the trim positions but I'd like to be able to shift in one go. Othe
> camp
> riders find the same thing?
Only when mine was misaligned. After the cable stretched I had i
adjusted and I can pop it up in one trow

til

--
till!

Claes
June 9th 05, 01:41 AM
adam Wrote:
> "flyingdutch" > wrot
> in
> message ...
> >
> > Wrote:
> >> Am replacing my 39/53 10 speed chain rings. Does anyone know i
> you
> >> can use older 9 speed chain rings, or do you have to use chai
> rings
> >> made specialy 10 speed ?
> >>
> >> I've been browsing around on line and some are sold as being 8/9/10
> >> speed compatible ?
> >>
> >> Hello Sheldon, can you answer ?
> >
> > I have been using (well...) a BBB 39T replacement over my prio
> chorus
> > 10spd 42T and i reckon it shifted better than the 42T one. gues
> that
> > doesnt really help your scenario tho.
> > from branfordbike.com...
> > "Campagnolo did not change their rings when they went from 8 to 9
> > speed, and only changed the outer ring when they went to 10spd.
> >
> > Record, Chorus, Athena, Daytona and Centaur 8/9 and 10 speed inner
> > rings are identical. Record 8/9 outer rings are identical to Chorus,
> > Athena, Centaur and Daytona 8/9 except for the placement of th
> chain
> > roll off pin.
> > The Record roll off pin is next to a bolt hole; Chorus, Athena
> Centaur
> > and Daytona has the roll off pin mid-way between two bolt holes.
> >
> > Campagnolo changed their outer ring when they moved to 10 speed. I
> was
> > milled .04 mm on the backside so it would sit closer to the inne
> ring
> > to accomadate the narrower 10 speed chain."
> >
> > if your on shimano i guess nothing will be compatible, knowing them
> > :rolleyes:
> >

> > --
> > flyingdutch
>
> Do a googlegroups search on rec.bicycles.tech. The 9 speed bi
> chainring
> will work fine, but like dutchy said a proper 10 speed large chainrin
> is
> milled 0.4mm (not .04mm) on the backside to bring the chainring
> closer
> together. To be honest I'm not sure whether I've got a 10sp or 9sp bi
> ring
> on my chorus setup.
>
> The only thing I don't like about campag is the front shifting fro
> small to
> big. Maybe mine needs a bit of tweaking but it takes two throws of th
> lever
> to shift from small to big which is a bit annoying. It's nice to hav
> all
> the trim positions but I'd like to be able to shift in one go. Othe
> campy
> riders find the same thing?
>
> Adam
No probs with going up with one throw, are you sure you are using th
all the movement of the lever? If you stop half way, then I can imagin
that you need two throws. Sort of like an old camera, with manual feed
either you forward the film with one big throw, or with several smal
throws

--
Claes

Sheldon Brown
June 9th 05, 04:59 AM
wrote:
> Am replacing my 39/53 10 speed chain rings. Does anyone know if you
> can use older 9 speed chain rings, or do you have to use chain rings
> made specialy 10 speed ?
>
> I've been browsing around on line and some are sold as being 8/9/10
> speed compatible ?
>
> Hello Sheldon, can you answer ?

Here's my canned reply to this Frequently Asked Question. It speaks of
9-speed, and Shimano but no reason it wouldn't also apply to 10-speed
and Campagnolo:

There is a lot of confusion about the compatibility of narrow 9-speed
chains with older cranksets. Shimano says you should replace the inner
chainring(s) with specially designated 9-speed ones, but then they're
all too eager to sell you stuff, whether you need it or not.

Shimano is also concerned about clueless users. The worst-case
scenario is that you will be riding along with the bike in its highest
gear (large front, small rear) and then for some bizarre reason shift
down in front before downshifting in the back. (There is no shift
pattern in which it is reasonable to shift in this sequence.) If you
_do_ shift this way, there's a small chance that the chain might
"skate" over the edges of the teeth for maybe half a turn.

In practice this "problem" almost never materializes. Many, many
cyclists are using 9-speed chains with older cranksets and having no
problems whatever.

My advice is to go ahead and upgrade your drivetrain, but leave the
crankset alone until you've tried it out with the new chain. Most
likely, you don't need to do anything to it.

All the best,

Sheldon

adam
June 9th 05, 02:07 PM
"Claes" > wrote in message
news:Claes.1qc303@no-> No probs with going up with one throw, are you sure
you are using the
> all the movement of the lever? If you stop half way, then I can imagine
> that you need two throws. Sort of like an old camera, with manual feed,
> either you forward the film with one big throw, or with several small
> throws.
>

> --
> Claes

OK thanks guys. With a bit of adjustment to the limit stops and taking all
the slack out of the cable it *justs* shifts from small to big in one throw
(on the stand - I'll test ride it on the weekend). I still don't like how
far you've got to move your hand compared to my 9 speed ultegra/105 training
bike. I feel like I'm making some hip rapper move with my wrist or the old
3D loser sign from school days :) I do love the rear shifts though, it's
great being able to bang up or down a fistful of gears at a time. The ergo
levers were stiff for a while from new but have loosened up nicely.

I measured my RD and I've got a medium cage (72.5mm between pulleys) and a
12-25 cassette. I wonder if the shifting would be better with a standard
short cage RD? Still I guess with this one I can go up to 13-29 if I want to
go ride up a wall or something. Speaking of which I wonder how Lance et al
are going up Mt Ventoux right about now?

Adam

adam85
June 16th 05, 12:32 AM
Claes Wrote:
> No probs with going up with one throw, are you sure you are using th
> all the movement of the lever? If you stop half way, then I can imagin
> that you need two throws. Sort of like an old camera, with manual feed
> either you forward the film with one big throw, or with several smal
> throws.

Yep all good now thanks, get it in one go. Now onto the next problem
and it's more a finesse thing, when practicing sprints from a long wa
out I sometimes need another gear and often I'll get 2 gears by mistak
instead of one on the thumb shift. It requires a bit of a delicat
touch, which is hard to do when you're standing in the drops goin
100%. Any tips

--
adam85

Carl Brewer
June 16th 05, 01:34 AM
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:32:37 +1000, adam85
> wrote:

>Claes Wrote:
>> No probs with going up with one throw, are you sure you are using the
>> all the movement of the lever? If you stop half way, then I can imagine
>> that you need two throws. Sort of like an old camera, with manual feed,
>> either you forward the film with one big throw, or with several small
>> throws.
>
>Yep all good now thanks, get it in one go. Now onto the next problem,
>and it's more a finesse thing, when practicing sprints from a long way
>out I sometimes need another gear and often I'll get 2 gears by mistake
>instead of one on the thumb shift. It requires a bit of a delicate
>touch, which is hard to do when you're standing in the drops going
>100%. Any tips?

Replace with Shimano groupset?

June 16th 05, 04:32 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:32:37 +1000, adam85
> > wrote:
>

> >Claes Wrote:
> >> No probs with going up with one throw, are you sure you are using the
> >> all the movement of the lever? If you stop half way, then I can imagine
> >> that you need two throws. Sort of like an old camera, with manual feed,
> >> either you forward the film with one big throw, or with several small
> >> throws.
> >
> >Yep all good now thanks, get it in one go. Now onto the next problem,
> >and it's more a finesse thing, when practicing sprints from a long way
> >out I sometimes need another gear and often I'll get 2 gears by mistake
> >instead of one on the thumb shift. It requires a bit of a delicate
> >touch, which is hard to do when you're standing in the drops going
> >100%. Any tips?
>
> Replace with Shimano groupset?

Or get a cassette that starts with a bigger cog ie a 13. If you've got
a cog you don't need when you're sprinting then you probably don't need
it. Maybe in a Tour stage through the Alps perhaps.

Bruce.

Not too embarrassed to admit I'm not strong enough to make use of a 12
let alone an 11 cog.

adam85
June 16th 05, 05:05 AM
Wrote:
> Carl Brewer wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:32:37 +1000, adam85
> > > wrote:

> the
> imagine
> feed,
> small
> > >
> > >Yep all good now thanks, get it in one go. Now onto the nex
> problem,
> > >and it's more a finesse thing, when practicing sprints from a lon
> way
> > >out I sometimes need another gear and often I'll get 2 gears b
> mistake
> > >instead of one on the thumb shift. It requires a bit of a delicate
> > >touch, which is hard to do when you're standing in the drops going
> > >100%. Any tips?
> >
> > Replace with Shimano groupset?
>
> Or get a cassette that starts with a bigger cog ie a 13. If you've got
> a cog you don't need when you're sprinting then you probably don'
> need
> it. Maybe in a Tour stage through the Alps perhaps.
>
> Bruce.
>
> Not too embarrassed to admit I'm not strong enough to make use of a 12
> let alone an 11 cog.

The 12 is nice for the descents though Bruce! Anyway I'm sure it's jus
practice, the shifters have loosened up a fair bit so it's mor
sensitive. Robbie McEwen etc seem to do ok with them

--
adam85

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home