PDA

View Full Version : Replacing bike after accident

June 10th 05, 01:26 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the fortunate position of being

a) alive and relatively unscathed after being hit by a car
and
b) in a position to begin the search for a new bike after the old one
was destroyed by the aforementioned car.

I would appreciate your opinions on what to get. My previous bike was a
3 year old low range Trek (Aluminium frame/carbon fork, 105
components). This bike served me well, and caused no trouble apart from
the occasional puncture. I ride about 10,000kms per year.

I would like to upgrade to a bike with a carbon frame and better
quality components, and my budget is around $5500.

While I'm partial to Trek, the bikes they sell around this pricepoint
include Ultegra components, while other manufacturers (Giant TCR
composite for example) include Dura Ace components. Then, of course,
there's the Learsport Azzurri Carbon/Dura Ace combination for $4000.
(I know that I don't NEED Dura Ace components, but they certainly would
be nice to have!)

Before I go through the usual barrage of bullsh*t at the bike shops,
I'd like your opinions on whether the Trek OCLV carbon frame is better
than the others, and is it worth the premium price? Does anyone have an
Azzurri they can comment on? Or comments on other brands you've had
positive experiences with...

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Tony
June 10th 05, 01:51 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the fortunate position of being
>
> a) alive and relatively unscathed after being hit by a car
> and
> b) in a position to begin the search for a new bike after the old one
> was destroyed by the aforementioned car.
>
> I would appreciate your opinions on what to get. My previous bike was a
> 3 year old low range Trek (Aluminium frame/carbon fork, 105
> components). This bike served me well, and caused no trouble apart from
> the occasional puncture. I ride about 10,000kms per year.
>
> I would like to upgrade to a bike with a carbon frame and better
> quality components, and my budget is around $5500.
>
> While I'm partial to Trek, the bikes they sell around this pricepoint
> include Ultegra components, while other manufacturers (Giant TCR
> composite for example) include Dura Ace components. Then, of course,
> there's the Learsport Azzurri Carbon/Dura Ace combination for $4000.
> (I know that I don't NEED Dura Ace components, but they certainly would
> be nice to have!)
>
> Before I go through the usual barrage of bullsh*t at the bike shops,
> I'd like your opinions on whether the Trek OCLV carbon frame is better
> than the others, and is it worth the premium price? Does anyone have an
> Azzurri they can comment on? Or comments on other brands you've had
> positive experiences with...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tony.

Check out the Lemond frames, half Trek OCLV and steel or Alu. Very nice
bikes and a good price as well

DeF
June 10th 05, 02:36 AM
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the fortunate position of being
>
> a) alive and relatively unscathed after being hit by a car
> and
> b) in a position to begin the search for a new bike after the old one
> was destroyed by the aforementioned car.
>
> I would appreciate your opinions on what to get. My previous bike was a
> 3 year old low range Trek (Aluminium frame/carbon fork, 105
> components). This bike served me well, and caused no trouble apart from
> the occasional puncture. I ride about 10,000kms per year.
>
> I would like to upgrade to a bike with a carbon frame and better
> quality components, and my budget is around $5500.
>
> While I'm partial to Trek, the bikes they sell around this pricepoint
> include Ultegra components, while other manufacturers (Giant TCR
> composite for example) include Dura Ace components. Then, of course,
> there's the Learsport Azzurri Carbon/Dura Ace combination for $4000.
> (I know that I don't NEED Dura Ace components, but they certainly would
> be nice to have!)
>
> Before I go through the usual barrage of bullsh*t at the bike shops,
> I'd like your opinions on whether the Trek OCLV carbon frame is better
> than the others, and is it worth the premium price? Does anyone have an
> Azzurri they can comment on? Or comments on other brands you've had
> positive experiences with...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tony.

I've recently been through this process. I looked at Eddy Merckx,
Specialized Robaix, Trek and some others.

In the end I got myself an Orbea Onix with Campag Chorus for less than
your budget. A friend of mine recently got an Onix with Ultegra for
less than 4k! A great deal I reckon. If you go for the Ultegra, that
would leave you some cash for better wheels (Ultegra Onix comes with
Shimano 550s) and some other fruit.

My recommendation is to ride lots of bikes and get quotes you can use
to bargain between shops. I didn't get to look at the Kuota frames -
they look nice and I'd like a Kalibur for TTing.

Enjoy!

Duncan.

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

dave
June 10th 05, 05:09 AM
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the fortunate position of being
>
> a) alive and relatively unscathed after being hit by a car
> and
> b) in a position to begin the search for a new bike after the old one
> was destroyed by the aforementioned car.
>
> I would appreciate your opinions on what to get. My previous bike was a
> 3 year old low range Trek (Aluminium frame/carbon fork, 105
> components). This bike served me well, and caused no trouble apart from
> the occasional puncture. I ride about 10,000kms per year.
>
> I would like to upgrade to a bike with a carbon frame and better
> quality components, and my budget is around $5500.
>
> While I'm partial to Trek, the bikes they sell around this pricepoint
> include Ultegra components, while other manufacturers (Giant TCR
> composite for example) include Dura Ace components. Then, of course,
> there's the Learsport Azzurri Carbon/Dura Ace combination for $4000.
> (I know that I don't NEED Dura Ace components, but they certainly would
> be nice to have!)
>
> Before I go through the usual barrage of bullsh*t at the bike shops,
> I'd like your opinions on whether the Trek OCLV carbon frame is better
> than the others, and is it worth the premium price? Does anyone have an
> Azzurri they can comment on? Or comments on other brands you've had
> positive experiences with...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tony.

Hmmmmmmm
I have an old trek and a TCR1. I can say that the trek is way better
assembled than the TCR was. I am told the TREK 5500 5200 OCLV carbon
frame is the exact frame that has won the Tour de France.

On the other hand Giant are far better value for money.

Doesnt help much hey?

Dave

flyingdutch
June 10th 05, 05:23 AM
hehe. just gone thru similar scenario.

hit by car. check.
replacing bike. check (altho mine was partial as most running gear OK)
quandary over what to get.

some insight/nonsense/rhubarb i can share...

The trekCF frames were either revered for quality/stiffness (altho no
the stiffest going around now) but generally seen as including alot o
'Lance-tax' and therefore priced above many equal competitors.
Therefore, If youre set on the TREK frame you'll compromise on othe
bits
Many manufacturers like pushing Alu bikes with CF rear ends as they ar
easier and therefore cheaper to make.
The azzurri CF is indeed a bargain (go for the deanwoods one tho if yo
decide on that one. it has far better Ritchey components than th
Azzurri being offered elsewhere, fo the same $).
Its actually a rebranded battaglin frame. refer:
http://www.battaglin.it/dettaglio.asp?dettaglio=compact
The only reviews i could find were in italian...

Does your budget include other bits like helmet/pedals/shoes?

There's quite a few runout specials going on at the moment.
Bianchi Luna CF and chorus well inside your budget (OK. bias chorus i
better than DA. run away now...)

probably better (generally speaking) to go 'down' to Ultegra (as ther
is little 'wrong' with it) and get better frame/wheels

TCR Composite Zero is in your ballapark ($5K) and not bad

The real find is the SCOTT CR1. light, stiff, did i mention light?

anyways, youre in the big-deep-grey-area...
enjoy, and let us know where it (mis)leads you :

--
flyingdutch

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home