PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a car again

TimC
June 10th 05, 05:00 AM
Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
traffic.

She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".

She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
bought my bike from last week.

Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
I've already paid, dammit!

--
TimC
"We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy

flyingdutch
June 10th 05, 05:36 AM
Shiieeeeeettt!!!!!!!

hope that knee gets OK'ed

Follow up. NOW!!!

make sure she gets booked. make sure police charge her.
you train her and you train police officers.

BTW, get your bike fully checked and start complaining of headaches t
get issued with a TAC claim number

F"crash-bandicoot knows all"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

AC
June 10th 05, 05:36 AM
Damn those Eastern Suburbs. They are dangerous for the commuting types.

flyingdutch
June 10th 05, 05:37 AM
TimC Wrote:

> She didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usuall
> looking
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".

Wow, a thinking-man's stupid driver! Least she was honest..

--
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 05:41 AM
TimC wrote:

> Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
> spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
> going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
> could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
> from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
> was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
> in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
> traffic.
>
> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>
> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
> bought my bike from last week.
>
> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> I've already paid, dammit!
>
> --
> TimC
> "We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy

Hey TimC,

I hope there are no hidden injuries. Oh, to you also! That is truly
horrible... although at least (despite her stupidity) she had the
(un)common decency to stop and offer assistance.

Tam

MikeyOz
June 10th 05, 05:48 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Shiieeeeeettt!!!!!!!
>
> hope that knee gets OK'ed
>
> Follow up. NOW!!!
>
> make sure she gets booked. make sure police charge her.
> you train her and you train police officers.
>
> BTW, get your bike fully checked and start complaining of headaches t
> get issued with a TAC claim number
>
> F"crash-bandicoot knows all"Dutch
Hope you are ok and I hate that feeling of when you have booke
something and are really looking forward to it and you know in the bac
of your mind it is probably best not to go and rest the injured parts
couple of things though....

1. hmmm assumptions, experience I guess, I never assume a driver ha
seen me, I have escaped a couple of times doing that, so I never do i
anymore, glad you escaped mostly intact!

2. I hope you were joking about the TAC claim comment ???????

does sound though that she was pretty decent about it and helped yo
out, instead of driving off, guess that is something

--
MikeyO

cfsmtb
June 10th 05, 05:49 AM
TimC Wrote:

> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>
> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
> bought my bike from last week.

Ah ****e, the new roadie? Well, at least she's taken som
responsibility for the situation. Even if she could of completel
avoided creating it in the first place. Best of luck getting back o
the bike & may the Bike Gods smile upon thee. ;

--
cfsmtb

dave
June 10th 05, 05:49 AM
TimC wrote:
> Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
> spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
> going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
> could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
> from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
> was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
> in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
> traffic.
>
> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>
> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
> bought my bike from last week.
>
> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> I've already paid, dammit!

Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
you. What sort of car was it

On a lighter note I was on the motorbicycle today. Was in Hawthorn
facing east turning right down one of the side streets towards
Swinburne. About 5 vehicles turning right and heavy traffic. Dumb
woman in the Pajero in front is ignoring gaps I would go thru on the
motorbike gaps I would go thru in a car or a truck or a semi

On the right alongside me.. (back a bit from the turn is a LHD street
sweeper.. with his strobe and reversing buzzer on .. very slowly
backing towards the intersection

As he aproaches at well under walking pace (can you see where this is
goint? ) a gap appears. Its well as far as you can see. Ms Pajero
doesnt want to rush her cornering tho. Someone might follow her around.
So she waits untill an oncoming car is visible and then oh so slowly,
just like the street sweeper but s..l o w e r she trickles around
the corner. No one follows her. All can see this bingle happening.
And in any case its obvious you are going to spend a long time stuck in
the intersection following her.

By now the streetsweeper is half accross the road. She takes no
evasive action. Absolutely none. And the streetsweper hits her in the
side and both her side windows explode and both vehicles stop

Amazing

I spose technically street sweeper was in wrong.. but that woman could
have not had less spatial awareness in a fit

Dave

TimC
June 10th 05, 06:00 AM
On 2005-06-10, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> I hope there are no hidden injuries. Oh, to you also!

Heh. I also thought of the bike first.

Dammit, she was too nice (well, after doing the hitting, anyway).
I've already paid the train trip, so if I can't go (and I really want
to go, so I'll see how the drugs are doing tomorrow morning), I'll get
her to paid for the cancelled ticket.

Funny thing is, my week hasn't exactly been that good, and I was
thkning this morning that that crashing into a car would just top the
week off. Don't think nasty thoughts, people!

My legs appears to have taken the entire glancing force (I probably
would have hit her headlight at most 15cm from the nose). That could
be quite nasty if the only way to stop a leg from breaking was for it
to go backwards, which of course it can't do when it is clipped into
pedals.

--Ti-"getting stiffer as time goes on"-mC.

--
TimC
Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

dave
June 10th 05, 06:04 AM
TimC wrote:
> On 2005-06-10, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
>
>>I hope there are no hidden injuries. Oh, to you also!
>

> Heh. I also thought of the bike first.
>
> Dammit, she was too nice (well, after doing the hitting, anyway).
> I've already paid the train trip, so if I can't go (and I really want
> to go, so I'll see how the drugs are doing tomorrow morning), I'll get
> her to paid for the cancelled ticket.
>
> Funny thing is, my week hasn't exactly been that good, and I was
> thkning this morning that that crashing into a car would just top the
> week off. Don't think nasty thoughts, people!
>
> My legs appears to have taken the entire glancing force (I probably
> would have hit her headlight at most 15cm from the nose). That could
> be quite nasty if the only way to stop a leg from breaking was for it
> to go backwards, which of course it can't do when it is clipped into
> pedals.
>
> --Ti-"getting stiffer as time goes on"-mC

Ice for a bit.. minimise the bruising I,m told after 3 applications
ice has done all its going to do.

Later followed by a hot bath.. as hot as you can stand it.. Massage if
you have anyone usefull to give it.

TimC
June 10th 05, 06:04 AM
On 2005-06-10, dave (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
>> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
>> I've already paid, dammit!
>>

> Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
> you. What sort of car was it

Big black 4WD.

--
TimC
An optimist thinks we are living in the best of all possible worlds. A

dave
June 10th 05, 06:09 AM
TimC wrote:
> On 2005-06-10, dave (aka Bruce)
>
>>TimC wrote:
>>
>>>Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
>>>to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
>>>I've already paid, dammit!
>>>

>>Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
>>you. What sort of car was it
>

> Big black 4WD.

Did it have a caved in side?

Dave

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:09 AM
TimC wrote:

> On 2005-06-10, dave (aka Bruce)
> > TimC wrote:
> >> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> >> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> >> I've already paid, dammit!
> >>

> > Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
> > you. What sort of car was it
>
> Big black 4WD.

Was it a Prado? I bet you it was a f'ing prado...

Tam

dave
June 10th 05, 06:12 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
>>On 2005-06-10, dave (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>>Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
>>>you. What sort of car was it
>>
>>Big black 4WD.
>

> Was it a Prado? I bet you it was a f'ing prado...
>
> Tam

I bet it was a Pajero

But aint they all interchangable?

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:14 AM
dave wrote:

> Ice for a bit.. minimise the bruising I,m told after 3 applications
> ice has done all its going to do.
>
> Later followed by a hot bath.. as hot as you can stand it.. Massage if
> you have anyone usefull to give it.

Ooooh, no! No massage until after a few days! Bad on fresh bruising and
soft tissue injuries, encourages swelling, undoes icing. No massage
until bruise starts to darken, except for very gently to rub in some
arnica cream (arnica montana, or just arnica) available at all good
health food shops. While you're there, grind your own peanut butter.
Mmmmmm. PB.

Once bruise starts to darken and harden, then start massaging it, and
you can be quite vigorous too.

Tam*disclaimer:not professional blah blah

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:17 AM
dave wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > TimC wrote:
> >
> >>On 2005-06-10, dave (aka Bruce)
> >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> >>Big black 4WD.
> >

> > Was it a Prado? I bet you it was a f'ing prado...
> >
> > Tam
>
> I bet it was a Pajero
>
> But aint they all interchangable?

Once, a 4WD-er saved my life, by giving me room to get around a bus that
had just cut me off, and they had to jump a traffic island to do that.
These little incidents make me more tolerant, and I manage to keep
telling myself each time I see a bad 4WD-er that "it's a one-off,
they're not all bad!"

Tam

dave
June 10th 05, 06:18 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Ice for a bit.. minimise the bruising I,m told after 3 applications
>>ice has done all its going to do.
>>
>>Later followed by a hot bath.. as hot as you can stand it.. Massage if
>>you have anyone usefull to give it.
>

> Ooooh, no! No massage until after a few days! Bad on fresh bruising and
> soft tissue injuries, encourages swelling, undoes icing. No massage
> until bruise starts to darken, except for very gently to rub in some
> arnica cream (arnica montana, or just arnica) available at all good
> health food shops. While you're there, grind your own peanut butter.
> Mmmmmm. PB.
>
> Once bruise starts to darken and harden, then start massaging it, and
> you can be quite vigorous too.
>
> Tam*disclaimer:not professional blah blah

Yeah... sorry.. I actually meant massage on non damaged bits.. well
you know maybe stretched a bit but not noticably damaged. I wouldnt
even think of masaging freshly damaged bits .. screaming hurts my ears
(especially my screaming)

dave
June 10th 05, 06:21 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:

>>>Was it a Prado? I bet you it was a f'ing prado...
>>>
>>>Tam
>>
>>I bet it was a Pajero
>>
>>But aint they all interchangable?
>

> Once, a 4WD-er saved my life, by giving me room to get around a bus that
> had just cut me off, and they had to jump a traffic island to do that.
> These little incidents make me more tolerant, and I manage to keep
> telling myself each time I see a bad 4WD-er that "it's a one-off,
> they're not all bad!"
>
> Tam

No whats happened there.. is that some motorcylist or cyclist has
borrowed his mums 4wd to go get parts or a new computer and while in it..

They are all that bad.. at least here in Hawthorn.
The Bingle this morning had me laughing so I nearly fell over.

suzyj
June 10th 05, 06:29 AM
Tim wrote:

> bad stuff

Hope the knee heals up quick, dude, and more importantly that th
bike's okay.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:36 AM
dave wrote:

> Yeah... sorry.. I actually meant massage on non damaged bits.. well
> you know maybe stretched a bit but not noticably damaged. I wouldnt
> even think of masaging freshly damaged bits .. screaming hurts my ears
> (especially my screaming)

Unless the freshly damaged bits includes your ITB, in which case, you
get someone to massage it, and someone else to hold the pillow.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:38 AM
dave wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > dave wrote:

> >>I bet it was a Pajero
> >>
> >>But aint they all interchangable?
> >

> > Once, a 4WD-er saved my life, by giving me room to get around a bus that
> > had just cut me off, and they had to jump a traffic island to do that.
> > These little incidents make me more tolerant, and I manage to keep
> > telling myself each time I see a bad 4WD-er that "it's a one-off,
> > they're not all bad!"
> >
> > Tam
>
> No whats happened there.. is that some motorcylist or cyclist has
> borrowed his mums 4wd to go get parts or a new computer and while in it..

I knew there was a logical explanation for it.

> They are all that bad.. at least here in Hawthorn.
> The Bingle this morning had me laughing so I nearly fell over.

See these people have no understanding of the injuries they could cause
to innocent bystanders who laugh until they cry!

Tam

flyingdutch
June 10th 05, 06:38 AM
MikeyOz Wrote:

> 2. I hope you were joking about the TAC claim comment ???????

NO, deadly serious. once you have a TAC number its like open-sesame t
anything you want. Physio, Xrays, Ambulance, met-tickets, taxi fares
surgery, receptionist at physio, herbal tea. did i mention th
receptionist..

--
flyingdutch

dave
June 10th 05, 06:43 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:

>>>Once, a 4WD-er saved my life, by giving me room to get around a bus that
>>>had just cut me off, and they had to jump a traffic island to do that.
>>>These little incidents make me more tolerant, and I manage to keep
>>>telling myself each time I see a bad 4WD-er that "it's a one-off,
>>>they're not all bad!"
>>>
>>>Tam
>>
>>No whats happened there.. is that some motorcylist or cyclist has
>>borrowed his mums 4wd to go get parts or a new computer and while in it..
>

> I knew there was a logical explanation for it.
>

>>They are all that bad.. at least here in Hawthorn.
>>The Bingle this morning had me laughing so I nearly fell over.
>

> See these people have no understanding of the injuries they could cause
> to innocent bystanders who laugh until they cry!
>
> Tam

Yeah I just emailed the council. Thier driver is probably totally in
the wrong legally.. he backed over an intersection. (I have an idea
there is in fact some exception for the drivers of streetsweepers and
the like but I could be wrong)

I just thought someone might like to know that Ms 4wd at least morally
was somewhat at fault :)

Not to mention the flats the broken glass gives pushbikes. Why the hell
dont the towies have to clean up broken glass any more?

Dave

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:49 AM
flyingdutch wrote:

> MikeyOz Wrote:
> >

> > 2. I hope you were joking about the TAC claim comment ???????
> >

> NO, deadly serious. once you have a TAC number its like open-sesame to
> anything you want. Physio, Xrays, Ambulance, met-tickets, taxi fares,
> surgery, receptionist at physio, herbal tea. did i mention the
> receptionist...
>
> --
> flyingdutch

That is very, very dodgy.

Tam *no longer a receptionist*

Ew, I used to work for engineers. "Civil" ones, at that.

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 06:51 AM
dave wrote:

> Not to mention the flats the broken glass gives pushbikes. Why the hell
> dont the towies have to clean up broken glass any more?
>
> Dave

It ****s me that people don't have to clean up broken glass. That should
be a law. Also if you're found at fault for an accident on the freeway,
you are no longer allowed to drive on the freeway.

Hehehe our base commander gave an order for all defence members to pick
up any litter they pass on barracks. Which means that if you pass some
litter and don't pick it up, even if it's because you genuinely didn't
see it, you get charged. It's kinda cool, in a very wrong way.

Tam

alison_b
June 10th 05, 06:53 AM
TimC Wrote:

> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be abl
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning
> I've already paid, dammit

oh *bugga*

Get yourself to a pharmacist that sells Blackmores or similar, and gra
a jar of Arnica cream for your knee. It will help a lot with th
bruising - both helping with the bleed, and also helping bring out th
bruising that is already there (I don't really know how else t
describe that... the time between the bruising inside appearing on th
surface?)

That and ice, etc as already suggested... Arnica... lots of Arnica! :

I remember my first tumble off my OCR3... I wish I had such a goo
story... well, any story really other than I stopped and fell over!
:D

I hope things are looking much brighter soon
al

--
alison_b

dave
June 10th 05, 06:56 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>

>>Not to mention the flats the broken glass gives pushbikes. Why the hell
>>dont the towies have to clean up broken glass any more?
>>
>>Dave
>

> It ****s me that people don't have to clean up broken glass. That should
> be a law.

I think it is.. just an ignored one

Also if you're found at fault for an accident on the freeway,
> you are no longer allowed to drive on the freeway.

Hmm not sure about that one. Will think about it.

> Hehehe our base commander gave an order for all defence members to pick
> up any litter they pass on barracks. Which means that if you pass some
> litter and don't pick it up, even if it's because you genuinely didn't
> see it, you get charged. It's kinda cool, in a very wrong way.

YEah I can see that. So long as the MPs dont set up stealth litter
traps.

> Tam

Stuart Lamble
June 10th 05, 06:57 AM
On 2005-06-10, dave > wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2005-06-10, dave (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>>Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
>>>you. What sort of car was it
>>
>> Big black 4WD.
>
> Did it have a caved in side?

And if not, did it after the event?

(I know, I know; it had to be said though.)

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 07:02 AM
alison_b wrote:

> TimC Wrote:
> >
> > Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> > to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> > I've already paid, dammit!
> >
> oh *bugga*
>
> Get yourself to a pharmacist that sells Blackmores or similar, and grab
> a jar of Arnica cream for your knee. It will help a lot with the
> bruising - both helping with the bleed, and also helping bring out the
> bruising that is already there (I don't really know how else to
> describe that... the time between the bruising inside appearing on the
> surface?).
>
> That and ice, etc as already suggested... Arnica... lots of Arnica! :)
>
> I remember my first tumble off my OCR3... I wish I had such a good
> story... well, any story really other than I stopped and fell over!
> :D
>
> I hope things are looking much brighter soon,
> ali
>
> --
> alison_b

Finally, someone else on a.b can back me up about arnica!

Tam *all the circus girls use it...*

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 07:11 AM
dave wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:

> > Hehehe our base commander gave an order for all defence members to pick
> > up any litter they pass on barracks. Which means that if you pass some
> > litter and don't pick it up, even if it's because you genuinely didn't
> > see it, you get charged. It's kinda cool, in a very wrong way.
>
> YEah I can see that. So long as the MPs dont set up stealth litter
> traps.

They have better things to do. Like set up stealth speed traps, and
stealth breathalyser traps.

Tam

June 10th 05, 07:14 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> alison_b wrote:
> >
> > TimC Wrote:
> > >
> > > Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> > > to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> > > I've already paid, dammit!
> > >
> > oh *bugga*
> >
> > Get yourself to a pharmacist that sells Blackmores or similar, and grab
> > a jar of Arnica cream for your knee. It will help a lot with the
> > bruising - both helping with the bleed, and also helping bring out the
> > bruising that is already there (I don't really know how else to
> > describe that... the time between the bruising inside appearing on the
> > surface?).
> >
> > That and ice, etc as already suggested... Arnica... lots of Arnica! :)
> >
> > I remember my first tumble off my OCR3... I wish I had such a good
> > story... well, any story really other than I stopped and fell over!
> > :D
> >
> > I hope things are looking much brighter soon,
> > ali
> >
> > --
> > alison_b
>
> Finally, someone else on a.b can back me up about arnica!
>
> Tam *all the circus girls use it...*

:-) Arnica is wonderful stuff... A couple of my kids and I do TKD - I
keep a tub of it in the bag with my gear and it gets passed around
regularly. Ideal for those moments when the block doesn't happen
quickly enough and one gets through :-/

ali

SteveA
June 10th 05, 07:24 AM
TimC Wrote:
> Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a ca
> spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kep
> going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so sh
> could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5
> from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when
> was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet staye
> in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncomin
> traffic
>
> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. Sh
> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually lookin
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look"
>
> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out fo
> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where
> bought my bike from last week
>
> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be abl
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning
> I've already paid, dammit
>

> -
> Tim
> "We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy

Ouch!.. Hope you (and the new baby) are OK

You are now entitled to place one tiny little black outline of a 4WD o
your top tube, like the WW1 fighter aces had on the noses of thei
planes to record enemy 'kills'

Steve

--
SteveA

dave
June 10th 05, 07:27 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>

>>Tamyka Bell wrote:
>

>>>Hehehe our base commander gave an order for all defence members to pick
>>>up any litter they pass on barracks. Which means that if you pass some
>>>litter and don't pick it up, even if it's because you genuinely didn't
>>>see it, you get charged. It's kinda cool, in a very wrong way.
>>
>>YEah I can see that. So long as the MPs dont set up stealth litter
>>traps.
>

> They have better things to do. Like set up stealth speed traps, and
> stealth breathalyser traps.
>
> Tam

THe speed traps I could argue about. THe breathalyser traps. ¨Sar´nt
have this ****ed trooper shot while attempting escape¨

But can you see a stealth litter trap. A postage stamp hidden under a
rock. At the bottom of the hill.

I have seen a picture. Of an M48 tank. Pulled up for speeding on
highway 1 out of Saigon in 1967. At that time the most dangerous road in
the world. By 2 MPs in a greythound armoured car. Sort of funny. It
wasnt the accidents that made the road so dangerous.

Dave

Bean Long
June 10th 05, 07:36 AM
Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
"dave" > wrote in message
. ..
> TimC wrote:
> > Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
> > spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
> > going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
> > could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
> > from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
> > was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
> > in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
> > traffic.
> >
> > She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
> > didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
> > out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
> >
> > She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
> > structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
> > bought my bike from last week.
> >
> > Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> > to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> > I've already paid, dammit!
> >

> Put it in the bill. Seriously. And anything else the bingle cost
> you. What sort of car was it
>
> On a lighter note I was on the motorbicycle today. Was in Hawthorn
> facing east turning right down one of the side streets towards
> Swinburne. About 5 vehicles turning right and heavy traffic. Dumb
> woman in the Pajero in front is ignoring gaps I would go thru on the
> motorbike gaps I would go thru in a car or a truck or a semi
>
> On the right alongside me.. (back a bit from the turn is a LHD street
> sweeper.. with his strobe and reversing buzzer on .. very slowly
> backing towards the intersection
>
> As he aproaches at well under walking pace (can you see where this is
> goint? ) a gap appears. Its well as far as you can see. Ms Pajero
> doesnt want to rush her cornering tho. Someone might follow her around.
> So she waits untill an oncoming car is visible and then oh so slowly,
> just like the street sweeper but s..l o w e r she trickles around
> the corner. No one follows her. All can see this bingle happening.
> And in any case its obvious you are going to spend a long time stuck in
> the intersection following her.
>
> By now the streetsweeper is half accross the road. She takes no
> evasive action. Absolutely none. And the streetsweper hits her in the
> side and both her side windows explode and both vehicles stop
>
> Amazing
>
> I spose technically street sweeper was in wrong.. but that woman could
> have not had less spatial awareness in a fit
>
> Dave

Carl Brewer
June 10th 05, 07:45 AM
On 9 Jun 2005 23:14:54 -0700, wrote:

>:-) Arnica is wonderful stuff... A couple of my kids and I do TKD - I
>keep a tub of it in the bag with my gear and it gets passed around
>regularly. Ideal for those moments when the block doesn't happen
>quickly enough and one gets through :-/

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
proper testing.

I did this with rosehip oil on sunburn once, and that expensive stuff
made no difference that I could tell to the healing rate or pain of
the sunburn. My squeeze at the time swore by the stuff, but it's
snake oil. She still does swear by it, despite the evidence.
*shrug*

Just because "everyone does it" does not mean it actually works.
I don't know anything about arnica, but I do know how bruises
form and how they heal, and I'd be interested to hear how this
magic stuff works.

Bikesoiler
June 10th 05, 07:46 AM
TimC Wrote:
> On 2005-06-10, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > I hope there are no hidden injuries. Oh, to you also!
>
> Heh. I also thought of the bike first.
>
> Dammit, she was too nice (well, after doing the hitting, anyway).
> I've already paid the train trip, so if I can't go (and I really want
> to go, so I'll see how the drugs are doing tomorrow morning), I'll get
> her to paid for the cancelled ticket.
>
> Funny thing is, my week hasn't exactly been that good, and I was
> thkning this morning that that crashing into a car would just top the
> week off. Don't think nasty thoughts, people!
>
> My legs appears to have taken the entire glancing force (I probably
> would have hit her headlight at most 15cm from the nose). That could
> be quite nasty if the only way to stop a leg from breaking was for it
> to go backwards, which of course it can't do when it is clipped into
> pedals.
>
> --Ti-"getting stiffer as time goes on"-mC.
>
> --
> TimC
> Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

Tim
Total ****er getting knocked! Glad you're (& bike) mostly undamaged.

Think really hard about your weekend trip. A little story may sway yo
you to stay home.
Some years ago I had a fall on the road. Not too bad, a few cut finger
etc but I'd corked my thigh pretty bad. This was the day before the MA
ride, I'd entered the MTB ride. No worries I'll join my partner & jus
do the shorter ride (then 45km). Well for 2 weeks after the ride my le
ached badly enough to send me to the physio.
Short story is, exercise on a bad bruise damages the muscle. You ca
have scar tissue form etc.
Rent some movies, get a good book, just don't ride hard for a while.

B - "Gone in the leg

--
Bikesoiler

dave
June 10th 05, 07:56 AM
Bean Long wrote:
> Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!

Yeah.,.. but is ****** the correct teminology when talking about a woman?

Peter Signorini
June 10th 05, 07:58 AM
"Bean Long" > wrote in message
> Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!

Bit of a myth actually. Check it out with babelfish
http://world.altavista.com/tr - pajero means pajero in Spanish. Quite a
funny myth nonetheless.

Cheers
Peter

dave
June 10th 05, 08:05 AM
Peter Signorini wrote:
> "Bean Long" > wrote in message
>
>>Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!
>

> Bit of a myth actually. Check it out with babelfish
> http://world.altavista.com/tr - pajero means pajero in Spanish. Quite a
> funny myth nonetheless.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Got to take issue with you Peter

Pajero means ****** in all languages.

Gemma_k
June 10th 05, 08:09 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message > Tam *no longer a
receptionist*

> Ew, I used to work for engineers. "Civil" ones, at that.

We're not all bad :-P

Gemma

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 08:21 AM
Gemma_k wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message > Tam *no longer a
> receptionist*
> >
> > Ew, I used to work for engineers. "Civil" ones, at that.
>
> We're not all bad :-P
>
> Gemma

You're also not all men going through mid-life crises either, but a
large proportion are...

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 10th 05, 08:26 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:
<snip>
> >:-) Arnica is wonderful stuff... A couple of my kids and I do TKD - I
> >keep a tub of it in the bag with my gear and it gets passed around
> >regularly. Ideal for those moments when the block doesn't happen
> >quickly enough and one gets through :-/
>
> Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
> and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
> Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
> proper testing.

I did this when I was performing on a suspended table, for circus. The
bars were so small that I got hideous bruises all over myself and looked
like a domestic violence victim. Arnica on my left leg, arnica on my
right leg. Left leg went throught the whole process quicker.

> I did this with rosehip oil on sunburn once, and that expensive stuff
> made no difference that I could tell to the healing rate or pain of
> the sunburn. My squeeze at the time swore by the stuff, but it's
> snake oil. She still does swear by it, despite the evidence.
> *shrug*

I use rosehip oil on mild abrasions that don't clear up well. They clear
up afterwards. Never tried it on sunburn. I use aloe vera for that.

> Just because "everyone does it" does not mean it actually works.
> I don't know anything about arnica, but I do know how bruises
> form and how they heal, and I'd be interested to hear how this
> magic stuff works.

There's a lot of things that science hasn't explained yet. Doesn't mean
they don't work, it just means that we aren't smart enough to know why.

Tam *still trying to figure out this bloody matlab code...*

hemyd
June 10th 05, 08:37 AM
"TimC" > wrote in message
> Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
> spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
> going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
> could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
> from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
> was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
> in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
> traffic.
>
> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>
> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
> bought my bike from last week.
>
> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> I've already paid, dammit!
>

> --
> TimC
> "We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy

Having learnt the hard way (also hit by a lady driver in similar
circumstances) I have learnt to never ever assume a lady driver has seen me,
even if she's looking directly at me. My wife has a go at me for being
sexist, and I'm sorry if I am, but although I believe that lady drivers are
by far better drivers than men, they can also be the most dangerous.

Henry.

Carl Brewer
June 10th 05, 08:49 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:26:21 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
wrote:

>Carl Brewer wrote:
><snip>
>> >:-) Arnica is wonderful stuff... A couple of my kids and I do TKD - I
>> >keep a tub of it in the bag with my gear and it gets passed around
>> >regularly. Ideal for those moments when the block doesn't happen
>> >quickly enough and one gets through :-/
>>
>> Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
>> and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
>> Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
>> proper testing.
>
>I did this when I was performing on a suspended table, for circus. The
>bars were so small that I got hideous bruises all over myself and looked
>like a domestic violence victim. Arnica on my left leg, arnica on my
>right leg. Left leg went throught the whole process quicker.

So which leg didn't have the magic potion on?

>> Just because "everyone does it" does not mean it actually works.
>> I don't know anything about arnica, but I do know how bruises
>> form and how they heal, and I'd be interested to hear how this
>> magic stuff works.
>
>There's a lot of things that science hasn't explained yet. Doesn't mean
>they don't work, it just means that we aren't smart enough to know why.

True, but I'm not necessarily referring to explaining why they work,
just trying to see if there's good evidence that says they do work.
It's always prudent to examine claims about health products with a
skeptical eye. Same thing with sports suppliments etc etc.

Once you can reliably show that something works, then it's worth
trying to figure out how it does, if it's something that science
hasn't explained yet.

Parbs
June 10th 05, 09:06 AM
"TimC" wrote in message ...

Ouch Tim, very glad you're OK.

Parbs

David Trudgett
June 10th 05, 09:07 AM
TimC > writes:

> Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

Hey, I saw a bloke doing that once. I think he had just got up to four.

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve
a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more
glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through
which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the
day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his
life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most
elevated and critical hour.

-- Henry David Thoreau, "Where I Live"

Carl Brewer
June 10th 05, 09:10 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:49:11 +1000, Carl Brewer >
wrote:

>>There's a lot of things that science hasn't explained yet. Doesn't mean
>>they don't work, it just means that we aren't smart enough to know why.

I looked the stuff up, and on the topic of interesting claims, here's
what the herb is supposed to do :
(from http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/arnic058.html )

--Medicinal Action and Uses---In countries where Arnica is indigenous,
it has long been a popular remedy. In the North American colonies the
flowers are used in preference to the rhizome. They have a discutient
property. The tincture is used for external application to sprains,
bruises, and wounds, and as a paint for chilblains when the skin is
unbroken. Repeated applications may produce severe inflammation. It is
seldom used internally, because of its irritant effect on the stomach.
Its action is stimulant and diuretic, and it is chiefly used in low
fevers and paralytie affections.

Arnica flowers are sometimes adulterated with other composite flowers,
especially Calendula officinalis, Inula brittanica, Kragapogon
pratensis, and Scorzonera humilis.

A homoeopathic tincture, X6, has been used successfully in the
treatment of epilepsy; also for seasickness, 3 X before sailing, and
every hour on board till comfortable.

For tender feet a foot-bath of hot water containing 1/2 oz. of the
tineture has brought great relief. Applied to the scalp it will make
the hair grow.

Great care must be exercised though, as some people are particularly
sensitive to the plant and many severe cases of poisoning have
resulted from its use, especially if taken internally.

British Pharmacopoeia Tincture, root, 10 to 30 drops. United States
Pharmacopoeia Tincture, flowers, 10 to 30 drops.

so, it's a poison, and it treats epilepsy and baldness.

Tops! I'll get a pile of it tomorrow morning, first thing!

Although, it sounds a lot like nicotine's actions,
being a stimulant, diuretic and inflamatory agent.

Further searching shows some real studies done on the stuff :
http://www.herbmed.org/Herbs/Herb92.htm

Extracted from that page :

Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial with 64 patients
undergone elective hand surgery revealed Homeopathic arnica did not
control bruising, reduce swelling or promote recovery after local
trauma compared to placebo. Stevinson 2003

Study to determine whether homeopathic medicine (Arnica CH5) can
reduce postoperative haematomas in venous surgery in 130 patients
showed no significant difference between the Arnica and placebo groups
Ramelet 2000

etc etc

The conclusion of this is left as an exercise to the reader :)

June 10th 05, 10:50 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:26:21 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
> wrote:
>
> >Carl Brewer wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>
> >> Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
> >> and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
> >> Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
> >> proper testing.

I haven't done it like this, no... but I know that when I don't use it
on a deep bruise it seems to take longer to heal.

There is some info around about it - the Brits have been researching it
recently, and a search on Medline should turn up some more stuff.

Like anything, you use it carefully. It can be toxic if taken other
than in a cream (but, I wasn't suggesting anyone eat it!)

I understand the properties which are useful include an
anti-inflammatory, and I find it just as effective as something like,
say, neurofen gel. Some studies are inconclusive when used as a
topical cream.

The reality is that there is a whole slew of pharmaceuticals which we
know work, but don't know how. And, in studies (the whole RCT shebang)
many of them don't seem to actually have any effect, and how they work
remains a mystery. Yet, in clinical usage they work very well for
many.

So, if it doesn't work for you then, like any treatment, ditch it :-)

usual disclaimer... I'm not a "real" doctor...

ali

Marty
June 10th 05, 11:10 AM
Peter Signorini wrote:
> "Bean Long" > wrote in message
>
>>Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!
>

> Bit of a myth actually. Check it out with babelfish
> http://world.altavista.com/tr - pajero means pajero in Spanish. Quite a
> funny myth nonetheless.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

If you use Babel to translate ****** in english to ****** in spanish it
gives you ******. If you try just about any language ****** is still ******.
Swear words are the new Esperanto.

Marty

Marty
June 10th 05, 11:13 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:
> On 9 Jun 2005 23:14:54 -0700, wrote:
>

>>:-) Arnica is wonderful stuff... A couple of my kids and I do TKD - I
>>keep a tub of it in the bag with my gear and it gets passed around
>>regularly. Ideal for those moments when the block doesn't happen
>>quickly enough and one gets through :-/
>

> Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
> and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
> Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
> proper testing.
>
> I did this with rosehip oil on sunburn once, and that expensive stuff
> made no difference that I could tell to the healing rate or pain of
> the sunburn. My squeeze at the time swore by the stuff, but it's
> snake oil. She still does swear by it, despite the evidence.
> *shrug*
>
> Just because "everyone does it" does not mean it actually works.
> I don't know anything about arnica, but I do know how bruises
> form and how they heal, and I'd be interested to hear how this
> magic stuff works.

Carl mate, you're going to have to be a bit more scientific. You have to
do some tests. Whack yourself with blows of exactly equal force to say,
one on each knee. Then apply the oil to one knee and leave the other as
a control. Looking foward to hearing the results.

Marty

Marty
June 10th 05, 11:33 AM
hemyd wrote:
> "TimC" > wrote in message
>
>>Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
>>spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
>>going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
>>could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
>>from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
>>was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
>>in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
>>traffic.
>>
>>She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
>>didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
>>out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>>
>>She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
>>structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
>>bought my bike from last week.
>>
>>Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
>>to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
>>I've already paid, dammit!
>>

>>--
>>TimC
>>"We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy
>

> Having learnt the hard way (also hit by a lady driver in similar
> circumstances) I have learnt to never ever assume a lady driver has seen me,
> even if she's looking directly at me. My wife has a go at me for being
> sexist, and I'm sorry if I am, but although I believe that lady drivers are
> by far better drivers than men, they can also be the most dangerous.
>
> Henry.

Henry it's like hearing and listeng.
Just because you can hear your missus it doesn't mean you're listening.

;)

Marty

rooman
June 10th 05, 12:07 PM
dave Wrote:
> Tamyka Bell wrote
> > dave wrote
>
> >>Tamyka Bell wrote

> abl
> morning

> tha
> that

> >>No whats happened there.. is that some motorcylist or cyclist ha
> >>borrowed his mums 4wd to go get parts or a new computer and while i
> it.
>

> > I knew there was a logical explanation for it
>

> >>They are all that bad.. at least here in Hawthorn
> >>The Bingle this morning had me laughing so I nearly fell over
>

> > See these people have no understanding of the injuries they coul
> caus
> > to innocent bystanders who laugh until they cry
>
> > Ta
>
> Yeah I just emailed the council. Thier driver is probably totally i
> the wrong legally.. he backed over an intersection. (I have an ide
> there is in fact some exception for the drivers of streetsweepers an
> the like but I could be wrong
>

> I just thought someone might like to know that Ms 4wd at least morall
> was somewhat at fault :
>
> Not to mention the flats the broken glass gives pushbikes. Why the hel
> dont the towies have to clean up broken glass any more
>
> Dave
I'd make sure the council knew Ms 4WD was a major contributor, at leas
the street sweeper was cleaning up the ****e for us....reminds me of a
incident in Sth Yarra off Chapel Street few years back..young hoo
pulls off Chapel street in his noisey lowered lawn mower *to him look
like lightspeed-to others is crap box* & comes flying along a smal
narrow street at max accelleration with cars parked both sides, roa
damp from recent shower and its dark. Another young guy (the innocent
comes slowly up a side street, I'm walking my pooch along th
path....well as innocent guy tries to stick his nose out to see if h
can go forward...hoon comes screaming along, sees him, slams on brake
all wheels lock up, he slides into three parked cars and swipes th
nose off the innocent...my dog pees itself and I walk over to hoon an
say hoping he has big bump on head, but find he is swearing in his "m
car she no longer sick mate!" way ...I give the innocent my card an
say "if this d**kwad wants to sue you tell your lawyer I'm a witness h
was speeding he skidded 60 meters in a quiet street, and I dont like hi
baggy pants and noisey go-f*rt buzz bomb either!...well a month later
get a letter from innocent's lawyer, sure enough dirtbag hoon sued him
so I make a statement and a month later letter from innocent's lawyer
hoon backs off and actually paid innocent's repairs and lawyer'
bill....justice reins!

OK not cycling but necessary

Timbo, I loved the shiny look of that neat OCR at the House of Goa
last week...sniff...oh well all the best bikes become nearer and deare
to us when they share our wounds and battle scars

ride on, be brave and enjoy the massage when the time comes!:D

ro

--
rooman

rooman
June 10th 05, 12:24 PM
Wrote:
> The reality is that there is a whole slew of pharmaceuticals which we
> know work, but don't know how. And, in studies (the whole RCT shebang)
> many of them don't seem to actually have any effect, and how they work
> remains a mystery. Yet, in clinical usage they work very well for
> many.
>
> So, if it doesn't work for you then, like any treatment, ditch it :-)
>
> usual disclaimer... I'm not a "real" doctor...
>
> ali
aint it the way, the Pharmaceutical Co's RCTs & "studies" always come
out against the wholistic products...but then Pharmaceuticals likewise
have no interest in providing "cures" when they can "manage" at the
expense of the PBS etc....and if the item is a natural product they
can't control, well it "doesnt work" does it!!!

Chinese medicine is the go, what larger study group is there than 1.2
billion or so in the biggest public clinical trial ever, who have
followed there own methods down through the millenia....they managed to
re-produce just a tad in the abscence of the mega pharmas...(when
western medicine will only offer a managment option if there is some
benefit to "shareholder value")....bahhhhh

give me snail's slime and whipped yak butter anyday!

Roo *I had all my mid-life crisis/es before mid life* Man

--
rooman

TimC
June 10th 05, 12:29 PM
On 2005-06-10, rooman (aka Bruce)
> I'd make sure the council knew Ms 4WD was a major contributor, at least
> the street sweeper was cleaning up the ****e for us....reminds me of an
> incident in Sth Yarra off Chapel Street few years back..young hoon
> pulls off Chapel street in his noisey lowered lawn mower *to him looks
> like lightspeed-to others is crap box* & comes flying along a small
> narrow street at max accelleration with cars parked both sides, road
> damp from recent shower and its dark. Another young guy (the innocent)
> comes slowly up a side street, I'm walking my pooch along the
> path....well as innocent guy tries to stick his nose out to see if he
> can go forward...hoon comes screaming along, sees him, slams on brakes
> all wheels lock up, he slides into three parked cars and swipes the
> nose off the innocent...my dog pees itself and I walk over to hoon and
> say hoping he has big bump on head, but find he is swearing in his "my
> car she no longer sick mate!" way ...I give the innocent my card and
> say "if this d**kwad wants to sue you tell your lawyer I'm a witness he
> was speeding he skidded 60 meters in a quiet street, and I dont like his
> baggy pants and noisey go-f*rt buzz bomb either!...well a month later I
> get a letter from innocent's lawyer, sure enough dirtbag hoon sued him,
> so I make a statement and a month later letter from innocent's lawyer-
> hoon backs off and actually paid innocent's repairs and lawyer's
> bill....justice reins!!

Heh! "go fart".

> Timbo, I loved the shiny look of that neat OCR at the House of Goat
> last week...sniff...oh well all the best bikes become nearer and dearer
> to us when they share our wounds and battle scars!

Looked at tonight when I got my free fitting - the crank my leg was
attached to looks a little bent -- how the hell didn't my leg break?
I'll get it repaired at the next service, if necessary.

Getting in and out of cleats hurt.

I took bikesoiler etal's advice, and decided to cancel the trip
tomorrow. ****ed.

--
TimC
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.

BrettM
June 10th 05, 12:29 PM
Tamyka Bell > wrote in
:

> Gemma_k wrote:
>>
>> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message > Tam *no longer a
>> receptionist*
>> >
>> > Ew, I used to work for engineers. "Civil" ones, at that.
>>
>> We're not all bad :-P
>>
>> Gemma
>
> You're also not all men going through mid-life crises either, but a
> large proportion are...
>
> Tam

H*ll what with all the stress and all I decided to start mine early.

What sort of bike can you get for $70,000+? (as if...).

BTW; you do know that "Civil Engineer" is an oxymoron.

BrettM

dave
June 10th 05, 12:39 PM
rooman wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:

>>able

>>morning.

>>that

>>that.

>>it..
>>

>>>I knew there was a logical explanation for it.

>>>See these people have no understanding of the injuries they could
>>
>>cause
>>
>>>to innocent bystanders who laugh until they cry!
>>>
>>>Tam
>>
>>Yeah I just emailed the council. Thier driver is probably totally in
>>the wrong legally.. he backed over an intersection. (I have an idea
>>there is in fact some exception for the drivers of streetsweepers and
>>the like but I could be wrong)
>>

>>I just thought someone might like to know that Ms 4wd at least morally
>>was somewhat at fault :)
>>
>>Not to mention the flats the broken glass gives pushbikes. Why the hell
>>dont the towies have to clean up broken glass any more?
>>
>>Dave
>
> I'd make sure the council knew Ms 4WD was a major contributor, at least
> the street sweeper was cleaning up the ****e for us....reminds me of an
> incident in Sth Yarra off Chapel Street few years back..young hoon
> pulls off Chapel street in his noisey lowered lawn mower *to him looks
> like lightspeed-to others is crap box* & comes flying along a small
> narrow street at max accelleration with cars parked both sides, road
> damp from recent shower and its dark. Another young guy (the innocent)
> comes slowly up a side street, I'm walking my pooch along the
> path....well as innocent guy tries to stick his nose out to see if he
> can go forward...hoon comes screaming along, sees him, slams on brakes
> all wheels lock up, he slides into three parked cars and swipes the
> nose off the innocent...my dog pees itself and I walk over to hoon and
> say hoping he has big bump on head, but find he is swearing in his "my
> car she no longer sick mate!" way ...I give the innocent my card and
> say "if this d**kwad wants to sue you tell your lawyer I'm a witness he
> was speeding he skidded 60 meters in a quiet street, and I dont like his
> baggy pants and noisey go-f*rt buzz bomb either!...well a month later I
> get a letter from innocent's lawyer, sure enough dirtbag hoon sued him,
> so I make a statement and a month later letter from innocent's lawyer-
> hoon backs off and actually paid innocent's repairs and lawyer's
> bill....justice reins!!
>
> OK not cycling but necessary!
>
> Timbo, I loved the shiny look of that neat OCR at the House of Goat
> last week...sniff...oh well all the best bikes become nearer and dearer
> to us when they share our wounds and battle scars!
>
> ride on, be brave and enjoy the massage when the time comes!:D
>
> roo

yeah I emailed the council to that effect

dave
June 10th 05, 12:45 PM
TimC wrote:
> On 2005-06-10, rooman (aka Bruce)
>
>>I'd make sure the council knew Ms 4WD was a major contributor, at least
>>the street sweeper was cleaning up the ****e for us....reminds me of an
>>incident in Sth Yarra off Chapel Street few years back..young hoon
>>pulls off Chapel street in his noisey lowered lawn mower *to him looks
>>like lightspeed-to others is crap box* & comes flying along a small
>>narrow street at max accelleration with cars parked both sides, road
>>damp from recent shower and its dark. Another young guy (the innocent)
>>comes slowly up a side street, I'm walking my pooch along the
>>path....well as innocent guy tries to stick his nose out to see if he
>>can go forward...hoon comes screaming along, sees him, slams on brakes
>>all wheels lock up, he slides into three parked cars and swipes the
>>nose off the innocent...my dog pees itself and I walk over to hoon and
>>say hoping he has big bump on head, but find he is swearing in his "my
>>car she no longer sick mate!" way ...I give the innocent my card and
>>say "if this d**kwad wants to sue you tell your lawyer I'm a witness he
>>was speeding he skidded 60 meters in a quiet street, and I dont like his
>>baggy pants and noisey go-f*rt buzz bomb either!...well a month later I
>>get a letter from innocent's lawyer, sure enough dirtbag hoon sued him,
>>so I make a statement and a month later letter from innocent's lawyer-
>>hoon backs off and actually paid innocent's repairs and lawyer's
>>bill....justice reins!!
>

> Heh! "go fart".
>

>>Timbo, I loved the shiny look of that neat OCR at the House of Goat
>>last week...sniff...oh well all the best bikes become nearer and dearer
>>to us when they share our wounds and battle scars!
>

> Looked at tonight when I got my free fitting - the crank my leg was
> attached to looks a little bent -- how the hell didn't my leg break?
> I'll get it repaired at the next service, if necessary.
>
> Getting in and out of cleats hurt.
>
> I took bikesoiler etal's advice, and decided to cancel the trip
> tomorrow. ****ed.

Go over the bike and list all the damage. Take it to a bike shop and
get a quote. Include the stuff like your ticket.

Ring up Ms crapdriver and tell her you have a bill for her. Ask if she
intends to pay it. Tell her if she gives you any sort of grief you
intend to have her charged with careless driving.

And if she gives you any grief go up to camberwell cop shop Try and get
to see that lovely policewoman that works pt there. Tell her the story
and tha you wish to have her charged with careless driving. And if she
asks why tell her just becouse you are a poor loser.

And then I will give you the number of my lawyer. Put photocopies of
all the paperwork in an envelope and send it to her. In a few months
you will get a cheque

Worked for me.

Dave

flyingdutch
June 10th 05, 01:16 PM
Marty Wrote:

> Carl mate, you're going to have to be a bit more scientific. You hav
> do some tests. Whack yourself with blows of exactly equal force t
> say,
> one on each knee. Then apply the oil to one knee and leave the othe
> as
> a control. Looking foward to hearing the results.
>
> Marty

bwahahahahah

i think for scientific accuracy we need some a.b volunteers to act as:
controls,
'whackees'
:D:D:D

F"I got in line first!"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

aeek
June 10th 05, 01:30 PM
TimC Wrote:

> Looked at tonight when I got my free fitting - the crank my leg was
> attached to looks a little bent -- how the hell didn't my leg break?
> I'll get it repaired at the next service, if necessary.

I had a bent crank for who knows - I adapted/didn't notice.
Then I got my dream tourer and rode it home from the shop.
The next day I rode to work, in the lowest (3*6) on the flat cos tha
leg was killing me.
Don't leave it too long

--
aeek

Kim
June 10th 05, 02:58 PM
TimC wrote:
> --Ti-"getting stiffer as time goes on"-mC.
>
> --
> TimC
> Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

but anyone *can* count to 1023 on their fingers[1] ??!??!

um... must be bed time, cause i don't understand why you wouldn't trust
them? um ..

is that like the "there are 10 types of people.. " line? [2]

kim
~tired and confused
[1] assuming that they have 10 fingers and thumbs...
[2] or 0101010 is the answer to life, the universe ...etc etc

Kim
June 10th 05, 03:00 PM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Yeah... sorry.. I actually meant massage on non damaged bits.. well
>>you know maybe stretched a bit but not noticably damaged. I wouldnt
>>even think of masaging freshly damaged bits .. screaming hurts my ears
>>(especially my screaming)
>

> Unless the freshly damaged bits includes your ITB, in which case, you
> get someone to massage it, and someone else to hold the pillow.

tam,

whats an ITB when its at home?

kim
~ more confused...

flyingdutch
June 10th 05, 11:59 PM
dave Wrote:
> Go over the bike and list all the damage. Take it to a bike shop and
> get a quote. Include the stuff like your ticket.
>
> Ring up Ms crapdriver and tell her you have a bill for her. Ask i
> she
> intends to pay it. Tell her if she gives you any sort of grief you
> intend to have her charged with careless driving.
>
> And if she gives you any grief go up to camberwell cop shop Try an
> get
> to see that lovely policewoman that works pt there. Tell her th
> story
> and tha you wish to have her charged with careless driving. And i
> she
> asks why tell her just becouse you are a poor loser.
>
> And then I will give you the number of my lawyer. Put photocopies of
> all the paperwork in an envelope and send it to her. In a few months
> you will get a cheque
>

> Worked for me.
>
> Dave

all good stuff, but do the police bit first.
the most likely first thing driver will do is contact insurance co
the first thing they will do is check 'who is at fault'.
A police statement/contact/charge/officialdom will put that 'fault
squarely at her feet. If there is any greyness they can and will simpl
call your bluff, knowing a 'small' claim will either be close to he
excess figure and she will have to coff up cash or will simply forc
you to back down.
Beauracracy rarely has a use, but works for you in this type o
scenari

--
flyingdutch

Kim
June 11th 05, 02:12 AM
dave wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>> Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!
> Yeah.,.. but is ****** the correct teminology when talking about a woman?

does it matter?

i thought '******' meant 'clueless moron'!

in which case, it works just fine...

cheers,

kim

ritcho
June 11th 05, 03:02 AM
TimC Wrote:
> Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
> spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
> going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
> could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
> from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
> was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
> in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
> traffic.
>
> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>
> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
> bought my bike from last week.
>
> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> I've already paid, dammit!
>

> --
> TimC
> "We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy

F***! The good news is that you're able to write about it - what kin
of excuse is "I usually look for cyclists"? Is it the same as "
usually look for cars before crossing the road"?

Ritc

--
ritcho

ritcho
June 11th 05, 03:06 AM
Peter Signorini Wrote:
> "Bean Long" > wrote in message
> > Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!
>
> Bit of a myth actually. Check it out with babelfish
> http://world.altavista.com/tr - pajero means pajero in Spanish. Quit
> funny myth nonetheless.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Whilst it is a myth that pajero means ****** in Spanish, it is tru
that pajero means ****** in Australian.

Ritc

--
ritcho

flyingdutch
June 11th 05, 03:13 AM
ritcho Wrote:
> Whilst it is a myth that pajero means ****** in Spanish, it is true tha
> pajero means ****** in Australian.
>
> Ritch

BOOM tish!

So Hyundai translates loosely to "High and die" ??

--
flyingdutch

SteveA
June 11th 05, 03:17 AM
dave Wrote:

> Go over the bike and list all the damage. Take it to a bike shop an
> get a quote. Include the stuff like your ticket
>
> Ring up Ms crapdriver and tell her you have a bill for her. Ask if sh
> intends to pay it. Tell her if she gives you any sort of grief yo
> intend to have her charged with careless driving
>
> And if she gives you any grief go up to camberwell cop shop Try and ge
> to see that lovely policewoman that works pt there. Tell her the stor
> and tha you wish to have her charged with careless driving. And if sh
> asks why tell her just becouse you are a poor loser
>
> And then I will give you the number of my lawyer. Put photocopies o
> all the paperwork in an envelope and send it to her. In a few month
> you will get a chequ
>

> Worked for me
>
> Dave

Be very careful in telling the driver that if she does not pay for you
damages you will make a criminal complaint against her. This could b
construed as blackmail. A few years ago the accounts did not balanc
in a dry cleaning shop (ie money appeared to be missing). The daughte
of the owners, who I think was a law student at the time, told the on
and only employee (who the owners suspected of nicking the money) tha
unless the employee put $X into the till, the police would be calle
and she would be charged with stealing. The employee must have had
bigger and better lawyer because all hell broke loose. Blackmail
Demanding money with threats

I think the accepted line to take with the motorist is something lik
"If you do not compensate me for the damage you caused, I will conside
taking legal action"

If she does not come through with the money, feel free to go to th
cop shop. The problem is not in putting her in to the police, it is i
threatening to do it if she does not pay

Steve(gimme da money)

--
SteveA

SteveA
June 11th 05, 03:21 AM
ritcho Wrote:
> F***! The good news is that you're able to write about it - what kind o
> excuse is "I usually look for cyclists"? Is it the same as "I usuall
> look for cars before crossing the road"
>
> Ritch
Probably as good as "I usually do not rob banks" or "I usually do no
punch policemen" or "I do not usually throw telephones at the heads o
hotel staff

Steve

--
SteveA

Peter Signorini
June 11th 05, 04:26 AM
"flyingdutch" wrote:

> BOOM tish!
>
> So Hyundai translates loosely to "High and die" ???

No, Hyundai translates as "drop kick" :-)

Cheers
Peter
- getting way OT now

dave
June 11th 05, 04:48 AM
Kim wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> Bean Long wrote:
>>
>>> Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!
>>
>> Yeah.,.. but is ****** the correct teminology when talking about a woman?
>

> does it matter?
>
> i thought '******' meant 'clueless moron'!
>
> in which case, it works just fine...
>
> cheers,
>
> kim

OK I stand corrected.. I never thought that as ****** it was all that
much of an insult anyway.. One just likes to get these things correct.

Dave

dave
June 11th 05, 04:49 AM
ritcho wrote:
> Peter Signorini Wrote:
>
>>"Bean Long" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Well, you do know that pajero means "******" in Spanish!
>>
>>Bit of a myth actually. Check it out with babelfish
>>http://world.altavista.com/tr - pajero means pajero in Spanish. Quite
>>funny myth nonetheless.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Peter
>

> Whilst it is a myth that pajero means ****** in Spanish, it is true
> that pajero means ****** in Australian.
>
> Ritch

And many other languages :)

Dave

dave
June 11th 05, 04:57 AM
SteveA wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>

>>Go over the bike and list all the damage. Take it to a bike shop and
>>get a quote. Include the stuff like your ticket.
>>
>>Ring up Ms crapdriver and tell her you have a bill for her. Ask if she
>>intends to pay it. Tell her if she gives you any sort of grief you
>>intend to have her charged with careless driving.
>>
>>And if she gives you any grief go up to camberwell cop shop Try and get
>>to see that lovely policewoman that works pt there. Tell her the story
>>and tha you wish to have her charged with careless driving. And if she
>>asks why tell her just becouse you are a poor loser.
>>
>>And then I will give you the number of my lawyer. Put photocopies of
>>all the paperwork in an envelope and send it to her. In a few months
>>you will get a cheque
>>

>>Worked for me.
>>
>>Dave
>

> Be very careful in telling the driver that if she does not pay for your
> damages you will make a criminal complaint against her. This could be
> construed as blackmail. A few years ago the accounts did not balance
> in a dry cleaning shop (ie money appeared to be missing). The daughter
> of the owners, who I think was a law student at the time, told the one
> and only employee (who the owners suspected of nicking the money) that
> unless the employee put $X into the till, the police would be called
> and she would be charged with stealing. The employee must have had a
> bigger and better lawyer because all hell broke loose. Blackmail.
> Demanding money with threats.
>
> I think the accepted line to take with the motorist is something like
> "If you do not compensate me for the damage you caused, I will consider
> taking legal action".
>
> If she does not come through with the money, feel free to go to the
> cop shop. The problem is not in putting her in to the police, it is in
> threatening to do it if she does not pay.
>

> Steve(gimme da money)A

Geez Like you would cop to that if the cops turned up

¨my goodness officer its true I told the woman it was my duty to make a
criminal complaint about her driving. And now that you are at the door
if it is convenient for me to make the complaint...

She acused me of what??? She must have totally missunderstood or is
being malicious... a vexacious complaint isnt that officer?¨

¨But about my complaint?... hard to substantiant? You just said she
accused me of blackmail... If thats not an admission of criminal
activity.. what is?¨

But if she was in the wrong she has the liability anyway" ¨Did she seem
right in the head to you officer?....

See thats where it helps to have the right type of upbringing :)

Dave

SteveA
June 11th 05, 07:04 AM
dave Wrote:
> [...]
> > cop shop. The problem is not in putting her in to the police, it i
> > threatening to do it if she does not pay
>

> > Steve(gimme da money)
>

> Geez Like you would cop to that if the cops turned u
>
> ¨my goodness officer its true I told the woman it was my duty to make
> criminal complaint about her driving. And now that you are at the doo
> if it is convenient for me to make the complaint..
>
> She acused me of what??? She must have totally missunderstood or i
> being malicious... a vexacious complaint isnt that officer?
>
> ¨But about my complaint?... hard to substantiant? You just said sh
> accused me of blackmail... If thats not an admission of crimina
> activity.. what is?
>
> But if she was in the wrong she has the liability anyway" ¨Did she see
> right in the head to you officer?...
>

> See thats where it helps to have the right type of upbringing :

Hmmmm. I have a recollection that the threat in the dry cleaning cas
may have even been in writing.

If verbal, the production of witnesses (by either side) can sway th
argument. And quite a few phone answering machines can also recor
phone conversations while they are happening too

As you say, there are ways, and then there are ways, of getting th
message across. The right combination of subtlety and outright threa
works best, but may be difficult to achieve

I and 4 friends/family members once helped a chap, who owed my brothe
some money from a business venture, to get to the bank to get the cas
to pay the debt. He needed the help because all of his previou
cheques had bounced. Due to some confusion and misunderstandings h
explained. His wife was also confused.

When we called by she thought he was not at home when we knocked on hi
front door. However, we were less confused and were able to meet hi
coming out his back door and help him down the stairs. We took him t
the bank to get cash because of the previous confusion over cheques.

He was very grateful for the lift to the bank in the back of the Komb
although it was a little squeezy with the other 4 lads (I am 188cm an
110kg and I was the smallest of the boys). We waited with him at th
bank until he withdrew the money and gave him a lift home.

I would probably not be so helpful these days as I am more aware of the
misunderstandings that can occur in the circumstances.:D

Steve(always helpful)A

--
SteveA

dave
June 11th 05, 07:20 AM
SteveA wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>SteveA wrote:

>>she

>>get

>>story

>>she

>>>Be very careful in telling the driver that if she does not pay for
>>
>>your
>>
>>>damages you will make a criminal complaint against her. This could be
>>>construed as blackmail. A few years ago the accounts did not balance
>>>in a dry cleaning shop (ie money appeared to be missing). The
>>
>>daughter
>>
>>>of the owners, who I think was a law student at the time, told the
>>
>>one
>>
>>>and only employee (who the owners suspected of nicking the money)
>>
>>that
>>
>>>unless the employee put $X into the till, the police would be called
>>>and she would be charged with stealing. The employee must have had a
>>>bigger and better lawyer because all hell broke loose. Blackmail.
>>>Demanding money with threats.
>>>
>>>I think the accepted line to take with the motorist is something like
>>>"If you do not compensate me for the damage you caused, I will
>>
>>consider
>>
>>>taking legal action".
>>>
>>>If she does not come through with the money, feel free to go to the
>>>cop shop. The problem is not in putting her in to the police, it is
>>
>>in
>>
>>>threatening to do it if she does not pay.
>>>

>>>Steve(gimme da money)A
>>>

>>Geez Like you would cop to that if the cops turned up
>>
>>¨my goodness officer its true I told the woman it was my duty to make a
>>criminal complaint about her driving. And now that you are at the door
>>if it is convenient for me to make the complaint...
>>
>>She acused me of what??? She must have totally missunderstood or is
>>being malicious... a vexacious complaint isnt that officer?¨
>>
>>¨But about my complaint?... hard to substantiant? You just said she
>>accused me of blackmail... If thats not an admission of criminal
>>activity.. what is?¨
>>
>>But if she was in the wrong she has the liability anyway" ¨Did she seem
>>right in the head to you officer?....
>>

>>See thats where it helps to have the right type of upbringing :)
>>
>>Dave
>

> Hmmmm. I have a recollection that the threat in the dry cleaning case
> may have even been in writing.
>
> If verbal, the production of witnesses (by either side) can sway the
> argument. And quite a few phone answering machines can also record
> phone conversations while they are happening too.

That is soooo illegal and thats been tested in court. The taping
without permission.

How many witnesses you need Tim? You want ones who have been tested
under interrogation.. we can do that :)

> As you say, there are ways, and then there are ways, of getting the
> message across. The right combination of subtlety and outright threat
> works best, but may be difficult to achieve.

true

> I and 4 friends/family members once helped a chap, who owed my brother
> some money from a business venture, to get to the bank to get the cash
> to pay the debt. He needed the help because all of his previous
> cheques had bounced. Due to some confusion and misunderstandings he
> explained. His wife was also confused.
>
> When we called by she thought he was not at home when we knocked on his
> front door. However, we were less confused and were able to meet him
> coming out his back door and help him down the stairs. We took him to
> the bank to get cash because of the previous confusion over cheques.
>
> He was very grateful for the lift to the bank in the back of the Kombi
> although it was a little squeezy with the other 4 lads (I am 188cm and
> 110kg and I was the smallest of the boys). We waited with him at the
> bank until he withdrew the money and gave him a lift home.
>
> I would probably not be so helpful these days as I am more aware of the
> misunderstandings that can occur in the circumstances.:D

Exactly..

I am told that if you shoot then yell drop the weapon or I shoot.. one
of the witnesses at least will get the order wrong :)

Me too

I so hate

> Steve(always helpful)A

Me too

I so hate it when they apologise untill they think they are out of
range. I was amazed when the neighbor who backed up over stealth
orange motorcycle just paid.. I really am getting too cynical

Dave

Sara Kirk
June 11th 05, 08:17 AM
In article >, dave
> wrote:

> > If verbal, the production of witnesses (by either side) can sway the
> > argument. And quite a few phone answering machines can also record
> > phone conversations while they are happening too.
>
> That is soooo illegal and thats been tested in court. The taping
> without permission.

It depends where you are. Unless it changed recently, here only one
party has to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.
Thinking about it, whenever you call a bank etc. these days they do
tell you that you may be recorded... so it could have changed.

What a waste of a post. Sorry.

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

flyingdutch
June 11th 05, 08:22 AM
SteveA Wrote:

> I and 4 friends/family members once helped a chap, who owed my brothe
> some money from a business venture, to get to the bank to get the cas
> to pay the debt. He needed the help because all of his previou
> cheques had bounced. Due to some confusion and misunderstandings h
> explained. His wife was also confused.
>
> When we called by she thought he was not at home when we knocked on hi
> front door. However, we were less confused and were able to meet hi
> coming out his back door and help him down the stairs. We took him t
> the bank to get cash because of the previous confusion over cheques.
>
> He was very grateful for the lift to the bank in the back of the Komb
> although it was a little squeezy with the other 4 lads (I am 188cm an
> 110kg and I was the smallest of the boys). We waited with him at th
> bank until he withdrew the money and gave him a lift home.
>
> I would probably not be so helpful these days as I am more aware of th
> misunderstandings that can occur in the circumstances.:D
>
> Steve(always helpful)A

haha. Helpful SteveA :D who's legal opionions shall now be taken MUC
more seruiously! :D:

--
flyingdutch

dave
June 11th 05, 08:30 AM
Sara Kirk wrote:
> In article >, dave
> > wrote:
>

>>>If verbal, the production of witnesses (by either side) can sway the
>>>argument. And quite a few phone answering machines can also record
>>>phone conversations while they are happening too.
>>
>>That is soooo illegal and thats been tested in court. The taping
>>without permission.
>

> It depends where you are. Unless it changed recently, here only one
> party has to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.
> Thinking about it, whenever you call a bank etc. these days they do
> tell you that you may be recorded... so it could have changed.
>
> What a waste of a post. Sorry.

Hang on... one party.. Oh you mean when intercepted by the cops.. or the
NSA. My understanding is that the cops need to satisfy a judge and
have a warrant anwhere in oz?

SteveA
June 11th 05, 09:06 AM

--
SteveA

Tamyka Bell
June 11th 05, 09:26 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, hemyd wrote:

> "TimC" > wrote in message
>> Camberwell road, about midday today. She was pulling out of a car
>> spot, had her nose out, so I pulled over the tram tracks, and kept
>> going. She was waiting for cars on the other side of the road so she
>> could do a U-ey, and I assumed she had seen me. When I was about 5m
>> from her, she started accelarating - the "hey!" probably came when I
>> was 2m from her, going at 30km/h. I clipped her nose, and feet stayed
>> in the peddle. I was very lucky not to fall over into the oncoming
>> traffic.
>>
>> She took me to the doctor and police station, exchanged details. She
>> didn't say "sorry, I didn't see you", she said "I am usually looking
>> out for cyclists, but I just didn't look".
>>
>> She might cop a fine, and I will get the bike checked out for
>> structural damage tonight -- it was just outside of goldcross where I
>> bought my bike from last week.
>>
>> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
>> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
>> I've already paid, dammit!
>>

>> --
>> TimC
>> "We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy
>
> Having learnt the hard way (also hit by a lady driver in similar
> circumstances) I have learnt to never ever assume a lady driver has seen me,
> even if she's looking directly at me. My wife has a go at me for being
> sexist, and I'm sorry if I am, but although I believe that lady drivers are
> by far better drivers than men, they can also be the most dangerous.
>
> Henry.

Don't apologise, Henry, we understand - most chauvinists are
sexist.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 11th 05, 09:28 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:26:21 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
> wrote:
>
>> Carl Brewer wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
>>> and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
>>> Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
>>> proper testing.
>>
>> I did this when I was performing on a suspended table, for circus. The
>> bars were so small that I got hideous bruises all over myself and looked
>> like a domestic violence victim. Arnica on my left leg, arnica on my
>> right leg. Left leg went throught the whole process quicker.
>
> So which leg didn't have the magic potion on?

pick the idiot who spent too many hours using matlab yesterday. should
read "no arnica on my right leg"

<Cut the rest>

Meeba
June 11th 05, 09:47 AM
[
>>:-) Arnica is wonderful stuff...
>
> Out of curiosity, have you ever tried applying it to one bruise site
> and leaving another alone, and see if it makes any difference?
> Not the best test around, but not a bad one, in lieu of any
> proper testing.

yeah my partner massaged half a large bruise with arnica,and thats th
side that healed quicker but probably the massage,
horses for course

--
Meeba

dave
June 11th 05, 10:02 AM
SteveA wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>SteveA wrote:
>>
>>>And quite a few phone answering machines can also record
>>>phone conversations while they are happening too.
>>
>>That is soooo illegal and thats been tested in court. The taping
>>without permission.
>>
>>I was thinking more about the creation of a belief in the minds of the
>>local plod (which is often not based on legality of evidence) rather
>>than the illegality and inadmissibility of the recording.
>>

>>I am told that if you shoot then yell drop the weapon or I shoot.. one
>>of the witnesses at least will get the order wrong :)
>>

>>Still amazes me that some witnesses can get up in complex commercial
>>matters and swear to the exact words that they or someone else said at
>>a boozy lunch meeting 2 years ago. And maintain that those were the
>>exact words when cross examined.
>>
>>As they say, 2 witnesses can have the exact opposite recollections of
>>events but both be totally and honestly convinced that they are right.
>>

>>SteveA

Absolutely right,

Trust me that if some cop is handed a case where someone admits careless
driving and maybe their might be a suspicion of something else, the cop
is going with the careless driving and losing the suspicion.

Of course if you were dumb enough to admit blackmail.....

Tamyka Bell
June 11th 05, 11:19 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:49:11 +1000, Carl Brewer >
> wrote:
>

>>> There's a lot of things that science hasn't explained yet. Doesn't mean
>>> they don't work, it just means that we aren't smart enough to know why.
>

> I looked the stuff up, and on the topic of interesting claims, here's
> what the herb is supposed to do :
> (from http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/arnic058.html )
>
> --Medicinal Action and Uses---In countries where Arnica is indigenous,
> it has long been a popular remedy. In the North American colonies the
> flowers are used in preference to the rhizome. They have a discutient
> property. The tincture is used for external application to sprains,
> bruises, and wounds, and as a paint for chilblains when the skin is
> unbroken. Repeated applications may produce severe inflammation. It is
> seldom used internally, because of its irritant effect on the stomach.
> Its action is stimulant and diuretic, and it is chiefly used in low
> fevers and paralytie affections.
>
> Arnica flowers are sometimes adulterated with other composite flowers,
> especially Calendula officinalis, Inula brittanica, Kragapogon
> pratensis, and Scorzonera humilis.
>
> A homoeopathic tincture, X6, has been used successfully in the
> treatment of epilepsy; also for seasickness, 3 X before sailing, and
> every hour on board till comfortable.
>
> For tender feet a foot-bath of hot water containing 1/2 oz. of the
> tineture has brought great relief. Applied to the scalp it will make
> the hair grow.
>
> Great care must be exercised though, as some people are particularly
> sensitive to the plant and many severe cases of poisoning have
> resulted from its use, especially if taken internally.
>
> British Pharmacopoeia Tincture, root, 10 to 30 drops. United States
> Pharmacopoeia Tincture, flowers, 10 to 30 drops.
>

> so, it's a poison, and it treats epilepsy and baldness.
>
> Tops! I'll get a pile of it tomorrow morning, first thing!
>
> Although, it sounds a lot like nicotine's actions,
> being a stimulant, diuretic and inflamatory agent.
>

> Further searching shows some real studies done on the stuff :
> http://www.herbmed.org/Herbs/Herb92.htm
>
> Extracted from that page :
>
> Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial with 64 patients
> undergone elective hand surgery revealed Homeopathic arnica did not
> control bruising, reduce swelling or promote recovery after local
> trauma compared to placebo. Stevinson 2003
>

> Study to determine whether homeopathic medicine (Arnica CH5) can
> reduce postoperative haematomas in venous surgery in 130 patients
> showed no significant difference between the Arnica and placebo groups
> Ramelet 2000
>
> etc etc
>
> The conclusion of this is left as an exercise to the reader :)

Carl, you're such a twit.

Find me a paper that's not about homeopathy. Of course a double blind on a
homeopathic remedy isn't going to work. Homeopathic rememdies are diluted
and diluted and diluted and....

Find one where they used it in a physical concentration.

I can vouch for oral arnica being unpleasant for the gut though, even when
diluted to the extent there's nothing in it but water and sugar. I had to
take heaps of neurofen and stuff to feel better. I know there's typos but
I'm on dialup and this telnet client is causing me nightmares.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 11th 05, 11:40 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, BrettM wrote:

> Tamyka Bell > wrote in
> :
>
>> Gemma_k wrote:
>>>
>>> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message > Tam *no longer a
>>> receptionist*

>>> We're not all bad :-P
>>>
>>> Gemma
>>
>> You're also not all men going through mid-life crises either, but a
>> large proportion are...
>>
>> Tam
>
> H*ll what with all the stress and all I decided to start mine early.
>
> What sort of bike can you get for $70,000+? (as if...).
>
> BTW; you do know that "Civil Engineer" is an oxymoron.
>
> BrettM

_oxy_moron - that's just being too verbose, and too nice.

:P

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 11th 05, 11:53 AM
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Kim wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>> dave wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah... sorry.. I actually meant massage on non damaged bits.. well
>>> you know maybe stretched a bit but not noticably damaged. I wouldnt
>>> even think of masaging freshly damaged bits .. screaming hurts my ears
>>> (especially my screaming)
>>

>> Unless the freshly damaged bits includes your ITB, in which case, you
>> get someone to massage it, and someone else to hold the pillow.
>
> tam,
>
> whats an ITB when its at home?
>
> kim
> ~ more confused...

An iliotibial band, nice connective tissue down the outside of your leg
that gets tight and rubs along the outside of your knee in an ouchy
fashion.

interrupting-training-bitch? That's what it feels like.

Sorry if someone already sreplied... I'm on DIALUP I tell you, DIALUP!

Tam

rooman
June 11th 05, 11:56 AM
dave Wrote:

> I am told that if you shoot then yell drop the weapon or I shoot.. on
> of the witnesses at least will get the order wrong :

a wise policeman once told me :

"-*always fire your second shot into the ground*-

hmmmmmm

--
rooman

MikeyOz
June 11th 05, 12:27 PM
Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Kim wrote
>
> > Tamyka Bell wrote
> >> dave wrote

> wel
> wouldn
> ear
> >

> >> Unless the freshly damaged bits includes your ITB, in which case
> yo
> >> get someone to massage it, and someone else to hold the pillow
>
> > tam
>
> > whats an ITB when its at home
>
> > ki
> > ~ more confused..
>

> An iliotibial band, nice connective tissue down the outside of your le
> that gets tight and rubs along the outside of your knee in an ouch
> fashion
>
> interrupting-training-bitch? That's what it feels like
>
> Sorry if someone already sreplied... I'm on DIALUP I tell you, DIALUP
>
> Tam
hmmmm yes, ITB, mine started flaring up again this afternoon
co-incidently as I am starting to increase my distance as well.

I will certainly testify to the 'ouchy' par

--
MikeyO

Tamyka Bell
June 11th 05, 12:56 PM
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, MikeyOz wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:

>> well
>> wouldnt
>> ears

>> you
>>>
>>> tam,
>>>
>>> whats an ITB when its at home?
>>>
>>> kim
>>> ~ more confused...
>>>

>> An iliotibial band, nice connective tissue down the outside of your leg
>> that gets tight and rubs along the outside of your knee in an ouchy
>> fashion.
>>
>> interrupting-training-bitch? That's what it feels like.
>>
>> Sorry if someone already sreplied... I'm on DIALUP I tell you, DIALUP!
>>
>> Tam
> hmmmm yes, ITB, mine started flaring up again this afternoon,
> co-incidently as I am starting to increase my distance as well.
>
> I will certainly testify to the 'ouchy' part
>

> --
> MikeyOz

See a good sports podiatrist.

Tam

ritcho
June 12th 05, 01:57 AM
Tamyka Bell Wrote:

> pick the idiot who spent too many hours using matlab yesterday. should
> read "no arnica on my right leg"
>
> <Cut the rest>

Ahh matlab - you'd be surprised how many billions of dollars o
derivatives exposure is managed with some home-made matlab tools..
it's not just for scientists and engineers.

Ritc

--
ritcho

BrettM
June 12th 05, 02:39 AM
dave > wrote in news:42aa92e3_2
@news.melbourne.pipenetworks.com:

> Sara Kirk wrote:

>>>That is soooo illegal and thats been tested in court. The taping
>>>without permission.
>>

>> It depends where you are. Unless it changed recently, here only one
>> party has to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.
>> Thinking about it, whenever you call a bank etc. these days they do
>> tell you that you may be recorded... so it could have changed.
>>
>> What a waste of a post. Sorry.
>>

> Hang on... one party.. Oh you mean when intercepted by the cops.. or
the
> NSA. My understanding is that the cops need to satisfy a judge and
> have a warrant anwhere in oz?

Did. Now if the person is suspected of terrorist activity they can tap
without a warrant.

Which brings the interesting case of

"Your Honor; we believed that the suspect was involved with XYZ group
and was facilitating their activities in Australia due to the high
number of "visitors" to his property."

"Based on our suspisions we tapped his phone and while we did not find
any evidence of links to XYZ the conversations indicated that the
suspect was involved in the following illegal activities and on the
basis of the these conversations we respectfully request that you
determine there is probable cause for us to continue in tapping his
phone or in obtaining this warrant etc etc."

Neatly gets around the probable cause issues that normally come up when
you want a warrant or a tap (which is a bench warrant).

Cheers

Brett"paranoid"M

dave
June 12th 05, 02:57 AM
BrettM wrote:
> dave > wrote in news:42aa92e3_2
> @news.melbourne.pipenetworks.com:
>

>>Sara Kirk wrote:

> the

>>>It depends where you are. Unless it changed recently, here only one
>>>party has to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.
>>>Thinking about it, whenever you call a bank etc. these days they do
>>>tell you that you may be recorded... so it could have changed.
>>>
>>>What a waste of a post. Sorry.
>>>

>>Hang on... one party.. Oh you mean when intercepted by the cops.. or
>
> the
>
>>NSA. My understanding is that the cops need to satisfy a judge and
>>have a warrant anwhere in oz?
>>

> Did. Now if the person is suspected of terrorist activity they can tap
> without a warrant.
>
> Which brings the interesting case of
>
> "Your Honor; we believed that the suspect was involved with XYZ group
> and was facilitating their activities in Australia due to the high
> number of "visitors" to his property."
>
> "Based on our suspisions we tapped his phone and while we did not find
> any evidence of links to XYZ the conversations indicated that the
> suspect was involved in the following illegal activities and on the
> basis of the these conversations we respectfully request that you
> determine there is probable cause for us to continue in tapping his
> phone or in obtaining this warrant etc etc."
>
> Neatly gets around the probable cause issues that normally come up when
> you want a warrant or a tap (which is a bench warrant).
>
> Cheers
>
> Brett"paranoid"M
sleeping with the judge would be easier ;)

Harry Tuttle
June 12th 05, 03:55 AM
"TimC" > wrote in message

> Worst part is my knee has to go on ice, and I probably won't be able
> to ride on MBTC's long weeked tour to Beechworth tomorrow morning.
> I've already paid, dammit!

Then list it as one of your damages.

She hit you with a car, it isn't meant to leave YOU out of pocket.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home