PDA

View Full Version : Petition the IOC

rooman
June 12th 05, 06:13 AM
Dear Friends

I have just read and signed the online petition

\"Don't let track cycling die\":mad:

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petitio

service, at

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/1000k

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you migh

agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and conside

signing yourself

Best wishes

Rooma

The UCI should lso lobby to have more cycling and remove othe
superfluous events too...but well I'm looking in the sky and can't se
many flying porkies these days!

--
rooman

flyingdutch
June 12th 05, 06:32 AM
Done! FRIGGIN INSANITY!

killing off the 1kilo and 500m TT's is nuts!!!

doesnt eat up much time without heats etc (does it?) and to make wa
for... BMX. Dont get me wrong, i like the idea of bmx at the olympic
ntu why not make way thru some other events like all these tea
sports????
tennis, Baseball (and i spent 20yrs playing it but cant defend it
presence there), Hockey, and soon-to-be golf FFS
The olympics arr siding more and more into mediocrity and jus
commercial ****

--
flyingdutch

cfsmtb
June 12th 05, 09:05 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Done! FRIGGIN INSANITY!
>
> killing off the 1kilo and 500m TT's is nuts!!!
>
> doesnt eat up much time without heats etc (does it?) and to make wa
> for... BMX. Dont get me wrong, i like the idea of bmx at the olympic
> ntu why not make way thru some other events like all these tea
> sports????
> tennis, Baseball (and i spent 20yrs playing it but cant defend it
> presence there), Hockey, and soon-to-be golf FFS
> The olympics arr siding more and more into mediocrity and jus
> commercial ****e

Too true. Just signed the petition. Grumble, grumble, grumble.... :mad

--
cfsmtb

SteppenW
June 12th 05, 12:46 PM
Got my vote. The Olympics has become a corrupt commercial enterprise far
removed from its original ideals based on personal athletic endevour. In
this century it has become synonymous with drugs in sport, product
placements and tipper trucks of money.

flyingdutch
June 12th 05, 01:44 PM
Sig533: by... danny clark

"being a kilo rider myself and having a great career in cycling, i fin
the uci decission to stop the kilo for the olympics a huge mistake, a
it narrows the events sprinters can do world wide and earn money and
living. besides, sprinting and the kilo are real great events. this ma
come as a supprise to many hearing this from me, but the madison shoul
be done with as it is like watching a two man points race, it is s
boring and so short and the tallent of todays madison riders is not u
to olympic standards. the kilo is a real test of man at full effor
against the watch and it is exciting, good luck with the petition
danny"

if they aint gonna listen to the horses mouth (and possibly one of oz'
greatest ever trackies) who will they listen to??

--
flyingdutch

rooman
June 13th 05, 01:48 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Sig533: by... danny clark
>
> "being a kilo rider myself and having a great career in cycling, i fin
> the uci decission to stop the kilo for the olympics a huge mistake, a
> it narrows the events sprinters can do world wide and earn money and
> living. besides, sprinting and the kilo are real great events. this ma
> come as a supprise to many hearing this from me, but the madison shoul
> be done with as it is like watching a two man points race, it is s
> boring and so short and the tallent of todays madison riders is not u
> to olympic standards. the kilo is a real test of man at full effor
> against the watch and it is exciting, good luck with the petition
> danny
>
> if they aint gonna listen to the horses mouth (and possibly one of oz'
> greatest ever trackies) who will they listen to???
Even "Phil*thevoiceinchinos*Liggett MBE has signed! 2000+ sig
now...add mor
:mad

--
rooman

Kim
June 13th 05, 03:35 AM
rooman wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>
>>Sig533: by... danny clark
>>
>>"being a kilo rider myself and having a great career in cycling, i find
>>the uci decission to stop the kilo for the olympics a huge mistake, as
>>it narrows the events sprinters can do world wide and earn money and a
>>living. besides, sprinting and the kilo are real great events. this may
>>come as a supprise to many hearing this from me, but the madison should
>>be done with as it is like watching a two man points race, it is so
>>boring and so short and the tallent of todays madison riders is not up
>>to olympic standards. the kilo is a real test of man at full effort
>>against the watch and it is exciting, good luck with the petition,
>>danny"
>>
>>if they aint gonna listen to the horses mouth (and possibly one of oz's
>>greatest ever trackies) who will they listen to???
>
> Even "Phil*thevoiceinchinos*Liggett MBE has signed! 2000+ sigs
> now...add more
> :mad:

right thats 2209 Signatures Total now...

cheers,

kim

SteveA
June 13th 05, 06:29 AM
rooman Wrote:
> Dear Friends
>
> I have just read and signed the online petition
>
> \"Don't let track cycling die\":mad:
>
> hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petitio
>
> service, at
>
> 'http://www.PetitionOnline.com/1000k/
> (http://www.petitiononline.com/1000k/
>
> I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you migh
>
> agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and conside
>
> signing yourself
>
> Best wishes
>
> Rooma
>
> The UCI should also lobby to have more cycling and remove othe
> superfluous events too...but well I'm looking in the sky and can't se
> many flying porkies these days!!

Currently being discussed on Radio 720 in Perth 1:20pm local tim

Steve

--
SteveA

rooman
June 13th 05, 08:51 AM
I may be wrong, but I looked hard and couldnt find a "contact us" lin
at the UCI web site. 'www.uci.ch/English' (http://www.uci.ch/English

Seems they have removed it as my email to them and who knows how man
more may have just got under their defences.....poor diddem

More reason to "sign the petition" set up by Chris Hoy's father....

http://www.petitiononline.com/1000k

do it one and all

while your at it tell CyclingAustralia and any other fed
()CyclesportsVic etc...) just what you think, make em do somethin
positive and fight this one

Ro

--
rooman

Brett
June 13th 05, 08:54 AM
SteveA > wrote in
:

> http://www.petitiononline.com/1000k/

I just got number 2,500.

Carl Brewer
June 14th 05, 01:23 AM
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:44:29 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>Sig533: by... danny clark
>
>"being a kilo rider myself and having a great career in cycling, i find
>the uci decission to stop the kilo for the olympics a huge mistake, as
>it narrows the events sprinters can do world wide and earn money and a
>living. besides, sprinting and the kilo are real great events. this may
>come as a supprise to many hearing this from me, but the madison should
>be done with as it is like watching a two man points race, it is so
>boring and so short and the tallent of todays madison riders is not up
>to olympic standards. the kilo is a real test of man at full effort
>against the watch and it is exciting, good luck with the petition,
>danny"

Danny doesn't like the madison? The only interesting track race? :)

cfsmtb
June 14th 05, 06:43 AM
The petition is up to 4336 signatures. Related news articles o
Bike.biz:

Planet UCI: universal disbelief at decision to cull kilo and women'
500m
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5663
What colour is the sky in the UCI's world? The online petition aimin
to open the IOC's eyes to the UCI's "crazy" decision to jettison no
the Madison at the 2008 Olympics but the kilometre time trial an
women's sprint is being signed fast and furiously. Chris Hoy ha
signed, so has Anna Meares, Jason Queally and Phil Liggett. Other bi
names will follow. PLUS: on 14th June, Jacques Rogge, president of th
IOC President, will answer three online questions submitted by member
of the public. Could one of them be about the UCI's failure to properl
consult national cycle federations about the best two events to cull
(more in article)

****************
Which national federations voted against the kilo?
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5667
Representatives from the national cycling federations of China
Australia, Britain, and France have all expressed their surprise at th
International Cycling Union's decision to drop track time trials at th
Beijing Olympics. Official objections may follow. The UCI claims out o
24 national federations surveyed, 19 answered and the majority of the
were in favour of dropping the kilo and the women's 500m sprint.
The UCI needs to publish the survey findings, and the questions asked
if it is stem the flow of complaints from Olympians, track stars
bicycle industry figures and cycling enthusiasts. (more in article

--
cfsmtb

rooman
June 14th 05, 02:30 PM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> The petition is up to 4336 signatures. Related news articles o
> Bike.biz
>
> Planet UCI: universal disbelief at decision to cull kilo and women'
> 500
> http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5663
> What colour is the sky in the UCI's world? The online petition aimin
> to open the IOC's eyes to the UCI's "crazy" decision to jettison no
> the Madison at the 2008 Olympics but the kilometre time trial an
> women's sprint is being signed fast and furiously. Chris Hoy ha
> signed, so has Anna Meares, Jason Queally and Phil Liggett. Other bi
> names will follow. PLUS: on 14th June, Jacques Rogge, president of th
> IOC President, will answer three online questions submitted by member
> of the public. Could one of them be about the UCI's failure to properl
> consult national cycle federations about the best two events to cull
> (more in article
>
> ***************
> Which national federations voted against the kilo
> http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5667
> Representatives from the national cycling federations of China
> Australia, Britain, and France have all expressed their surprise at th
> International Cycling Union's decision to drop track time trials at th
> Beijing Olympics. Official objections may follow. The UCI claims out o
> 24 national federations surveyed, 19 answered and the majority of the
> were in favour of dropping the kilo and the women's 500m sprint
> The UCI needs to publish the survey findings, and the questions asked
> if it is stem the flow of complaints from Olympians, track stars
> bicycle industry figures and cycling enthusiasts. (more in article)heard underground swell is UCI is trying to get up IOC's nose to stic
them for refusing extra cycling and demanding new events replac
existing, (and IOC had asked this in the name of reducing cost to hos
city etc, BUT here Beijing actually loses what it thought was a stron
medal chance in the Women's 500TT AND it now has to build at grea
expense a limited use BMX track, totally in opposition to the IOC'
original public rationale for reducing events...naturally Jacque
Brugge will never admit this, and I doubt we will ever get any clarit
(or transparency) from UCI's management committee... BUT Roy and H
will no doubt have terse words when they next get an opportunity t
comment on their "mayte" the esteemed Mr JaRRRRRRKZ BREWGAH....wha
about synchonised swimming, now that's an olympic sport if there eve
was one...and badminton, and basketball, and baseball, and soccer, an
(soon to be included) golf....sports admin, what a consistent cock-u
it continues to be

keep signing one and all

roo #442:mad

--
rooman

Gumby
June 14th 05, 04:00 PM
> BUT Roy and HG
> will no doubt have terse words when they next get an opportunity to
> comment on their "mayte" the esteemed Mr JaRRRRRRKZ BREWGAH....what
> about synchonised swimming, now that's an olympic sport if there ever
> was one...and badminton, and basketball, and baseball, and soccer, and
> (soon to be included) golf....sports admin, what a consistent cock-up
> it continues to be!
>
> keep signing one and all!
>

> roo #442:mad:

now I agree on the sychronised swimming
any sport that has ARTISTIC INTERPRETATION needs to be DROPPED
and that includes gymnastics and ice dancing etc
but badminton?
that is one great game that should be in the olympics and if I
understood correctly was only in the Commonwealth Games not the Olympics.
Agree with you on golf,basketball, baseball, not soccer that's
international innit?

When are we going to have EXTREEM sportz included? The winter olympics
are showing the way, half pipe and moguls, gawd, 2012 will be the first
showing of supermarket trolley racing down a hill while rotting chooks
get thrown at the participants and waving corporate sponsorship from
KayEfffeckin Cee

Roy and HG are going to have a field day with this decision

cfsmtb
June 15th 05, 01:38 AM
Gumby Wrote:

> When are we going to have EXTREEM sportz included? The winter olympic
> are showing the way, half pipe and moguls, gawd, 2012 will be th
> first
> showing of supermarket trolley racing down a hill while rotting chooks
> get thrown at the participants and waving corporate sponsorship from
> KayEfffeckin Cee
>
> Roy and HG are going to have a field day with this decision

We're waiting on Extreme Ironing, Cheese Rolling and Angry Doo
Slamming to be included in 2016. The IOC could save mega $$$ on th
medals - first prizes: a crisp white shirt, 7lb Double Glouceste
cheese & a pair of new hinges

--
cfsmtb

rooman
June 15th 05, 02:32 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> We're waiting on Extreme Ironing, Cheese Rolling and Angry Door Slammin
> to be included in 2016. The IOC could save mega $$$ on the medals
> first prizes: a crisp white shirt, 7lb Double Gloucester cheese &
> pair of new hinges.
unless its held in South Australia (ever!), then the Cycling Event
will be car-dooring , Mom truck derbies and bunch ride skittles...an
for extreme sports buffalo jump BMX, with MTB mine shaft plunges as
demonstration sport.....

the velodromes will be used for synchronised commissaire arm waving an
a new biathlon where riders carry a .22 rifle slung over the shoulder d
a 1000km TT then dismount, run to the 42 degree bank and fire thre
shots into the crowd, seeking out UCI committees members and Host Cit
budget planners for bonus points....:eek

--
rooman

SteveA
June 15th 05, 03:50 AM
rooman Wrote:
> heard underground swell is UCI is trying to get up IOC's nose to stic
> them for refusing extra cycling and demanding new events replac
> existing, (and IOC had asked this in the name of reducing cost to hos
> city etc, BUT here Beijing actually loses what it thought was a stron
> medal chance in the Women's 500TT AND it now has to build at grea
> expense a limited use BMX track, totally in opposition to the IOC'
> original public rationale for reducing events...naturally Jacque
> Brugge will never admit this, and I doubt we will ever get any clarit
> (or transparency) from UCI's management committee... BUT Roy and H
> will no doubt have terse words when they next get an opportunity t
> comment on their "mayte" the esteemed Mr JaRRRRRRKZ BREWGAH....wha
> about synchonised swimming, now that's an olympic sport if there eve
> was one...and badminton, and basketball, and baseball, and soccer, an
> (soon to be included) golf....sports admin, what a consistent cock-u
> it continues to be
>
> keep signing one and all
>

> roo #442:mad:

When I was at the China University of Politics and Law in Beijing,
did not see many MTBs or flash roadies like we have here. The cycle
were mostly of the utilitarian transport variety. But I can safely sa
that I saw NO BMX bikes. Nil. Of course there may have been a fe
hidden away, but I don't think you could say that BMX was big in Chin
or in any special way associated with the host city for the nex
Olympic Games

I wonder how they really made the decision

Steve

--
SteveA

BrettM
June 15th 05, 08:31 AM

>> roo #442:mad:
>
> When I was at the China University of Politics and Law in Beijing, I
> did not see many MTBs or flash roadies like we have here. The cycles
> were mostly of the utilitarian transport variety. But I can safely
say
> that I saw NO BMX bikes. Nil. Of course there may have been a few
> hidden away, but I don't think you could say that BMX was big in China
> or in any special way associated with the host city for the next
> Olympic Games.
>
> I wonder how they really made the decision?
>
> SteveA

Most likely on the basis that since it was a new olympic sport no one
was much good at it so they had a pretty good chance at scoring a medal
if they trained. Oh and the fact that BMX will not favour people who
have powerful not wiry builds. The Chinese have really improved in
track cycling but their men aren't and are unlikely to be competitive.

But I thought that their women's team wasn't bad.

The answer is simple. Track cyclists need to drink more Coke. Then
they won't want to offend their target market.

Cheers

BrettM

SteveA
June 15th 05, 09:21 AM
BrettM Wrote:

> >> roo #442:mad
>
> > When I was at the China University of Politics and Law in Beijing,
> > did not see many MTBs or flash roadies like we have here. The cycle
> > were mostly of the utilitarian transport variety. But I can safel
> sa
> > that I saw NO BMX bikes. Nil. Of course there may have been a fe
> > hidden away, but I don't think you could say that BMX was big i
> Chin
> > or in any special way associated with the host city for the nex
> > Olympic Games
>
> > I wonder how they really made the decision
>
> > Steve
>

> Most likely on the basis that since it was a new olympic sport no on
> was much good at it so they had a pretty good chance at scoring a meda
> if they trained. Oh and the fact that BMX will not favour people wh
> have powerful not wiry builds. The Chinese have really improved i
> track cycling but their men aren't and are unlikely to be competitive
>
> But I thought that their women's team wasn't bad
>
> The answer is simple. Track cyclists need to drink more Coke. The
> they won't want to offend their target market
>
> Cheer
>
> BrettM

Could always have the Chinese version of the road race. 5,000 cyclist
in each team. Raced through Beijing traffic. Each competitor to carr
20 chooks, or 3 dozen shoe boxes or a whole barbecued piglet.

Make it a real competition, not just cyclist against cyclist, bu
cyclist against maniacal Beijing taxi drivers, cyclist agains
government officials in big black Audis etc

Steve

--
SteveA

rooman
June 17th 05, 12:27 AM
The Latest from Cyclingnews.com :confused:

FIRST EDITION CYCLING NEWS FOR JUNE 17, 200
*Killing the Kilo and 500: the UCI explains

One of the UCI's more unpopular decisions has been to remove th
kilometre and 500m time trial from the track program at the 200
Olympic Games. Cyclists, coaches, fans, politicians, and journalist
from all over the world have protested the decision by means of a
'_online_petition_' (http://tinyurl.com/bhze8), which has so fa
gathered 7000 signatures and will be presented to the UCI and IOC i
Switzerland next week.

The UCI has responded to the outrage by issuing a statement explainin
its decision. "The International Olympic Committee had approved th
introduction of the BMX in the program of the Olympic Games on the onl
condition that it would not increase the number of medals awarde
globally to cycling." This effectively meant that two events would hav
to be sacrificed from the track program, as both the road and mountai
bike programs are already small. There was speculation that the point
or the madison would go, or even the keirin, but the removal of th
kilo and 500 took many by surprise.

The UCI statement continued, "The decision to remove the events i
question ensues exclusively from a detailed study led by the UCI, t
whom thus returns the whole responsibility of this choice. Any othe
interpretation of the situation does not correspond to the reality, an
must be considered erroneous.

"The UCI also reminds that this decision was taken in the view t
protect the chances of participation to the Olympic Games to th
largest number of athletes, given that the specialists of thes
disciplines are regularly registered also in the events of individua
and team sprint."

hmmm, can anyone see any reason actually spelt out in this waffle fro
the UCI, are they closet politicians who think bulldust can be expresse
in crap and we will go away

what does this weird paragraph mean?....anyone, anyone...Ferri
?:confused:

-"The UCI statement continued, "The decision to remove the events i
question ensues exclusively from a detailed study led by the UCI, t
whom thus returns the whole responsibility of this choice. Any othe
interpretation of the situation does not correspond to the reality, an
must be considered erroneous. "
such utter nonsense!
sign the petition , do we need another petition to seek som
transparency in the UCI or is that only in that democracy we drea
about!- reality is a nightmare...dreams are goatly induced....hmmmm
more IPA please

--
rooman

flyingdutch
June 17th 05, 03:22 AM
basically, they are basin their decision totally on their 'study' and n
public opinion will sway them. Perhaps also the involvement of a fe
'superpowers' concentrating on thes events means they dont attract th
same widespread involvement from smaller countries wher ethey wann
grow the sport/olympics.
Very few asian riders (barring that chinese lass who came second t
Meares at Athens) but i woulda thawt that was incentive to keep it

hangon, im standing up for the idiots!

next they'll be makin anime BMX movies or
'The seven BMXers',
'BMX ninja' (starring our Nic of course),
'Reservoir BMX',
'The Usual BMXers',
'BMX – return of the Jumper',
'BMXman',
'BMXing Miss Daisy',
the list goes on...

--
flyingdutch

Resound
June 17th 05, 04:52 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> basically, they are basin their decision totally on their 'study' and no
> public opinion will sway them. Perhaps also the involvement of a few
> 'superpowers' concentrating on thes events means they dont attract the
> same widespread involvement from smaller countries wher ethey wanna
> grow the sport/olympics.
> Very few asian riders (barring that chinese lass who came second to
> Meares at Athens) but i woulda thawt that was incentive to keep it
>
> hangon, im standing up for the idiots!
>
> next they'll be makin anime BMX movies or
> 'The seven BMXers',
> 'BMX ninja' (starring our Nic of course),
> 'Reservoir BMX',
> 'The Usual BMXers',
> 'BMX - return of the Jumper',
> 'BMXman',
> 'BMXing Miss Daisy',
> the list goes on....
>

> --
> flyingdutch

'BMxXx'
'BMX-Files - The Movie'
'BMX-roads', featuring Ralph Macchio, who whips Steve Vai in freestyle
flatland, even though he's only riding an old 80s Mongoose.
'Three Men and a BMX'
'Silence of the BMX' "I can smell your Brooks." "It puts the lotion on its
chain or it gets the kerosene again."
'Herbie the Love BMX'
'Gone with the BMX'
'BMX-Hur' featuring Charlton Heston forced into racing a BMX in a velodrome
to sate the bloodlust of the citizens of Rome.
E.T. (You'll belive a BMX can fly)
Schindler's BMX

Ok, I'll stop now.

flyingdutch
June 17th 05, 05:42 AM
Resound Wrote:

> 'BMxXx'
> 'BMX-Files - The Movie'
> 'BMX-roads', featuring Ralph Macchio, who whips Steve Vai in freestyle
> flatland, even though he's only riding an old 80s Mongoose.
> 'Three Men and a BMX'
> 'Silence of the BMX' "I can smell your Brooks." "It puts the lotion on
> its
> chain or it gets the kerosene again."
> 'Herbie the Love BMX'
> 'Gone with the BMX'
> 'BMX-Hur' featuring Charlton Heston forced into racing a BMX in a
> velodrome
> to sate the bloodlust of the citizens of Rome.
> E.T. (You'll belive a BMX can fly)
> Schindler's BMX
>
> Ok, I'll stop now.

lurv, youre work. keep going...

BMXAngels
Crouching BMX Hidden SS
Sophies BMX
CSI BMX (its only a matter of time. That or CSI Niddrie)
BMX in translation
BMX Girls (its GOTTA be better than showgirls. not that i've seen
it...)
BMX Peaks
The BMX is not enough
BMXfinger
DrBMX
Never say BMX
On her BMX's Service
BMX Royale
From BMX with Love
BMXraker

oh, i could go ALL day...

--
flyingdutch

SteveA
June 17th 05, 06:01 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> lurv, youre work. keep going..
>
> BMXAngel
> Crouching BMX Hidden S
> Sophies BM
> CSI BMX (its only a matter of time. That or CSI Niddrie
> BMX in translatio
> BMX Girls (its GOTTA be better than showgirls. not that i've see
> it...
> BMX Peak
> The BMX is not enoug
> BMXfinge
> DrBM
> Never say BM
> On her BMX's Servic
> BMX Royal
> From BMX with Lov
> BMXrake
>
> oh, i could go ALL day...

And the adults only BMXXX DVDs that have to be locked away from th
kids

Evil evil mind

Steve

--
SteveA

flyingdutch
June 17th 05, 07:54 AM
SteveA Wrote:
> And the adults only BMXXX DVDs that have to be locked away from th
> kids.
>
> Evil evil minds
>
> SteveA

you are just 'wrong!

--
flyingdutch

Graeme
June 17th 05, 08:27 AM
flyingdutch > wrote in
:

> CSI BMX (its only a matter of time. That or CSI Niddrie)

Niddrie!?!? Have you got one of those over here too? Please tell me it's
not the same as the one in Edinburgh. There's plenty crime there to detect,
but I don't think it would have the same appeal as Las Vegas, Miami or New
York. Torched cars and graffiti on buildings isn't quite as glamourous as
the sanitised crime you get on CSI Wherever.

Graeme

Resound
June 17th 05, 11:53 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> SteveA Wrote:
>> And the adults only BMXXX DVDs that have to be locked away from the
>> kids.
>>
>> Evil evil minds
>>
>> SteveA
>
> you are just 'wrong!'
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Oh, and there's a whole genre just waiting to be explored there too.

"Loose Bottom Brackets'
'Axle Tugger'
'Chain whips and Chains'
'Suck my Wheel'
'Jumped on the Tabletop'
and for the procedure fetichists: 'Tied Tubes'

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home