PDA

View Full Version : DIY Pushie Work stand

Jay Woo
June 13th 05, 03:22 AM
Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand outa my head & into
my garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/sets/447124/

Anyone else got a suitably dodgy setup?

flyingdutch
June 13th 05, 03:38 AM
Jay Woo Wrote:
> Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand outa my head & into
> my garage.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/sets/447124/
>
> Anyone else got a suitably dodgy setup?

not bad... can you spin the cranks OK?

always marveled at how well i can get indexing happening in the shed o
the stand and then out on the road its all bolloxed again :rolleyes:

PS what about sitting little tray-thingy on that lower step for eas
reach thingamabobs

--
flyingdutch

Jay Woo
June 13th 05, 04:54 AM
flyingdutch wrote:

> not bad... can you spin the cranks OK?

Yeah, I made sure I could do that. Though I haven't given them a red
hot spin yet...

> PS what about sitting little tray-thingy on that lower step for easy
> reach thingamabobs?

That'd be a shweeet tweak. A couple of holes like the top and bolt it
on. I want to make sure I can still use the step ladder as a step
ladder. Hmmm, or even bolt it to the piece of wood... thx:)

> --
> flyingdutch

DaveB
June 13th 05, 04:58 AM
Jay Woo wrote:
> Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand outa my head & into
> my garage.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/sets/447124/
>
> Anyone else got a suitably dodgy setup?

I've got my bke rack from the car mounted on the corner of my workbench.
With it mounted on the corner I can rotate the rack through about 90
degrees so have access to everything. Only problem is it's a bit too
high for working on headstem etc. SO I need to fix a plate to one of the
bench legs so I can mount the car rack there as well.

DaveB

suzyj
June 13th 05, 05:07 AM
Jay Woo wrote:

> Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand
> outa my head & into my garage.

Classy stuff. I've been meaning to build a decent bike stand fo
years, but never got around to it. Hopefully your inspiration will b
useful :)

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

SteveA
June 13th 05, 06:28 AM
Jay Woo Wrote:
> Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand outa my head & int
> my garage
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/sets/447124
>
> Anyone else got a suitably dodgy setup?

How's the balance - is it pretty close? Maybe a hole in the paling a
the pointy end so you can dangle a housebrick on a string to put mor
weight at the front of the bike

Steve

--
SteveA

Terry Collins
June 13th 05, 07:07 AM
DaveB wrote:

> I've got my bke rack from the car mounted on the corner of my workbench.

I had a Macpac(?) double legged version that mounted off the tow ball.
Eventually it snapped with fatigue and I was able to use it as a floor
stand. You could make up a floor leg to do what I do.

Make 2 x T piece out of gal pipe to lay on garage floor, then short leg
sticking up goes into each leg of the broken off/swan off stand. Adjust
short length to give right height for working.

Warning - do not attempt to lift fully loaded touring bikes onto stand
for last minute adjust.

Bonus - can be stored in gardenas hose stand whennot tuning bikes.

no pics yet.

Jay Woo
June 13th 05, 07:29 AM
SteveA wrote:

> How's the balance - is it pretty close? Maybe a hole in the paling at
> the pointy end so you can dangle a housebrick on a string to put more
> weight at the front of the bike?

It's fine with it just sitting there; I haven't had a go at giving the
bike a good olde peddling yet. I knocked it up, then headed into work
(borrowed the drill from work, so I needed to return it). I was
thinking if it gets too outa control I can stand on the bottom run of
the step ladder. A Brick could do the trick too, thx:)

DeF
June 13th 05, 08:53 AM
Jay Woo wrote:

> Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand outa my head & into
> my garage.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/sets/447124/
>
> Anyone else got a suitably dodgy setup?

Looks good.

My "work stand" consists of two lengths of light chain
hanging from the roof with custom bent quarter inch reo
(with plastic covering) hooking onto handlebars at one
end and saddle/rack at the other. I saw this set up in
the back of an LBS and it's pretty easy to set up. Imagine
a V with the bike at the bottom:
\ /
\ /
BIKE

Advantages: Easy to put bike on, cheap, stows away,
fits nearly all bikes, holds complete or partial
bike, keeps front wheel in line with frame.
Disadvantages: Some bikes have too much stuff on handlebars
making hook a little difficult to fit, bike does
wobble a bit while working on it, need to have handlebars
and seat attached!

It's good for cleaning, adjusting and lubing.

DeF

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

TimC
June 13th 05, 09:43 AM
On 2005-06-13, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
> DaveB wrote:
>
>> I've got my bke rack from the car mounted on the corner of my workbench.
>
> I had a Macpac(?) double legged version that mounted off the tow ball.
> Eventually it snapped with fatigue

Gah! That's something you don't want to happen while driving along
with $6K bike on back.

I've heard of it happening too. Damn truck didn't swerve quick
enough!

--
TimC
Can Jesus heat a microwave burrito so much he can't eat it?

Theo Bekkers
June 14th 05, 12:22 AM
DeF wrote:

> My "work stand" consists of two lengths of light chain
> hanging from the roof with custom bent quarter inch reo
> (with plastic covering) hooking onto handlebars at one
> end and saddle/rack at the other.

Been using that set-up for twenty years now. I've never felt the need to
improve on it.

Theo

Carl Brewer
June 14th 05, 01:31 AM
On 12 Jun 2005 19:22:30 -0700, "Jay Woo" > wrote:

>Finally I got an idea I had for a cheap work stand outa my head & into
>my garage.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/sets/447124/
>
>Anyone else got a suitably dodgy setup?

What're you using as a BB cradle?

My LBS uses a simple cradle for the top tube for all their
work, fixed to the wall. Works really well and costs naff-all - but
you need a wall to bolt it to.

Jay Woo
June 14th 05, 04:57 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> What're you using as a BB cradle?

Nothing at the moment. I thought that the soft cheap pine would be
enough. I might gaffer on some high density foam if I can find some.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home