PDA

View Full Version : StKilda Junction green lane

flyingdutch
June 14th 05, 12:10 PM
Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd a
the junction?
It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which ha
also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.

be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequentl
on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or cause
any punctures?

cheers

F"BBUG"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

craigster_jd
June 14th 05, 12:44 PM
flyingdutch Wrote:

> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequentl
> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or cause
> any punctures?

I have punctured on it, although I can't say for sure that was due t
the substrate. I haven't ridden it for a couple of months but I can'
recall there being any breakup. It struck me as a nice, smooth ye
grippy surface

--
craigster_jd

Kim
June 14th 05, 01:11 PM
flyingdutch wrote:
> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
> the junction?
> It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
> also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
>
> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
> any punctures?

is this the same kind of thing as the red bus lanes in london?

cheers,

kim

hemyd
June 14th 05, 10:35 PM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
> the junction?
> It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
> also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
>
> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
> any punctures?
>
> cheers
>
> F"BBUG"Dutch
>

> --
> flyingdutch

I'm on it almost daily in peak hour traffic. The material seems to have good
grip, but sheds, and there is a track of green residue past the actual
track.

To me, the main benefit of that track is the indication it gives to drivers
that cyclists have some rights there. Before there was a track (even before
the recently redone green track), crossing St. Kilda Junction was quite
unpleasant.

Henry.

Bean Long
June 15th 05, 01:53 AM
This sounds like the green lanes we have in Canberra along roads where there
is an exit or entrance ramp for cars. Sound similar?? The surfaces have
been in place for at least a year and there are some signs of wear (v. small
'potholes' down to the original road surface and thinning in places). It's
a good surface to ride on... I thought it would be a bit slippy in the wet
but haven't noticed so far. No punctures whatsoever and I feel quite safe
using them. They are on roads up to 80kph and cover the on/off ramp stretch
of the bike lanes so we have right of way. Great idea IMHO.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
> the junction?
> It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
> also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
>
> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
> any punctures?
>
> cheers
>
> F"BBUG"Dutch
>

> --
> flyingdutch

cfsmtb
June 15th 05, 02:24 AM
hemyd Wrote:
> I'm on it almost daily in peak hour traffic. The material seems to hav
> good grip, but sheds, and there is a track of green residue past th
> actual track.
>
> To me, the main benefit of that track is the indication it gives t
> drivers
> that cyclists have some rights there. Before there was a track (eve
> before
> the recently redone green track), crossing St. Kilda Junction wa
> quite
> unpleasant.
>
> Henry.

The last time I rode it, the surface wasn't very grippy at all
probably due to recent rain, a big tyre skid mark and possible oil o
the road. I'll agree with Henry though, the coloured lane does indicat
the line cyclists will pick coming down the hill. Even though the 24
bus via Barkly St still makes me nervous....
There was a recent study/comments into the StKilda Junction on how i
was extremely bad for pedestrians. Last year I was doing some vol wor
on the Corroboree Tree. Rather dispiriting to hear stories of how man
vehicles hit it.

Anyway, back to green lane marking. Yarra Council have used thi
surface on areas where there's a history of cyclists/motoris
altercations. Namely the left turn from High Street into Hoddle
crossing the Heidelberg Road onramp from Hoddle St and Canning Street
Carlton

--
cfsmtb

flyingdutch
June 15th 05, 03:22 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> The last time I rode it, the surface wasn't very grippy at all, probabl
> due to recent rain, a big tyre skid mark and possible oil on the road
> I'll agree with Henry though, the coloured lane does indicate the lin
> cyclists will pick coming down the hill. Even though the 246 bus vi
> Barkly St still makes me nervous....
> There was a recent study/comments into the StKilda Junction on how i
> was extremely bad for pedestrians. Last year I was doing some vol wor
> on the Corroboree Tree. Rather dispiriting to hear stories of how man
> vehicles hit it.
>
> Anyway, back to green lane marking. Yarra Council have used thi
> surface on areas where there's a history of cyclists/motoris
> altercations. Namely the left turn from High Street into Hoddle
> crossing the Heidelberg Road onramp from Hoddle St and Canning Street
> Carlton.

I agree wholeheartedly with the implementation etc of it/them (w
campaigned for years for this so its fruits of labour stuff. more s
for others as Im 'new').

This material is 'new'. The only other application of it previously i
StK junction. (i presume the yarra ones is the ol' molten paint stuf
that's dubious in the wet?)

The chandler lanes are now finished (this morning. photo's to follow).
My issue was with the actual stuff they used. After riding one stretc
(approx 100-150m long) i had about 20 pieces stuck in my 23mm tyres.
I guess these loose bits will minimise with time but the punctur
affect seems a bit counter-productive, no doubt a design done b
someone in a whitecoat in a lab who doesnt ride a bike.
There is a truckload (almost literally) all over the road and eve
footpath there now, which wont help matters.

and yes bean, sounds the same as yours..

--
flyingdutch

Bean Long
June 15th 05, 04:04 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...
> I guess these loose bits will minimise with time but the puncture
> affect seems a bit counter-productive, no doubt a design done by
> someone in a whitecoat in a lab who doesnt ride a bike.
>
> flyingdutch

Ouch... as someone in a white coat in a lab (who does ride a bike... and
there are a lot of us I assure you)... that hurts! Never mind... I'm sure
I'll get over it.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

ProfTournesol
June 15th 05, 05:03 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd a
> the junction?
> It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which ha
> also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
>
> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequentl
> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or cause
> any punctures?
>
> cheers
>
> F"BBUG"Dutch

the surface itself is good, but the problem has always been th
location of the lane in the middle of 6 lanes of often speedin
traffic, and the bumpy tram-lines usually taken at speed at the botto
of the hill

--
ProfTournesol

Jay Woo
June 15th 05, 05:05 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
> the junction?

Nothing to add on the surface side of things, but it hasn't made a
difference with cars cutting you off to get across to the left lane for
Queens rd :/

flyingdutch
June 15th 05, 05:25 AM
Bean Long Wrote:

> Ouch... as someone in a white coat in a lab (who does ride a bike..
> and
> there are a lot of us I assure you)... that hurts! Never mind... I'
> sure
> I'll get over it.
>
> --
> Bean
>
> Remove "yourfinger" before replying

dooooh!!!

if it makes you feel any better, my dad was too!
worked in a lab formulating...
paint! ROAD paint!!! (as well as automotive stuff)
bwahahahahahahahahah

F"son of a gun"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

flyingdutch
June 15th 05, 06:21 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> dooooh!!!
>
> if it makes you feel any better, my dad was too!
> worked in a lab formulating...
> paint! ROAD paint!!! (as well as automotive stuff)
> bwahahahahahahahahah
>
> F"son of a gun"Dutch
pix are here...

http://boroondarabug.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?page=1

--
flyingdutch

Bean Long
June 15th 05, 08:03 AM
Yeah... they look identical to what we have here in Canberra. I like 'em
but they do seem to take a beating from cars.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > dooooh!!!
> >
> > if it makes you feel any better, my dad was too!
> > worked in a lab formulating...
> > paint! ROAD paint!!! (as well as automotive stuff)
> > bwahahahahahahahahah
> >
> > F"son of a gun"Dutch
> pix are here...
>
> http://boroondarabug.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?page=1
>

> --
> flyingdutch

hemyd
June 15th 05, 08:56 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message

> hemyd Wrote:
>> I'm on it almost daily in peak hour traffic. The material seems to have
>> good grip, but sheds, and there is a track of green residue past the
>> actual track.
>>
>> To me, the main benefit of that track is the indication it gives to
>> drivers
>> that cyclists have some rights there. Before there was a track (even
>> before
>> the recently redone green track), crossing St. Kilda Junction was
>> quite
>> unpleasant.
>>
>> Henry.
>
> The last time I rode it, the surface wasn't very grippy at all,
> probably due to recent rain, a big tyre skid mark and possible oil on
> the road. I'll agree with Henry though, the coloured lane does indicate
> the line cyclists will pick coming down the hill. Even though the 246
> bus via Barkly St still makes me nervous....
> There was a recent study/comments into the StKilda Junction on how it
> was extremely bad for pedestrians. Last year I was doing some vol work
> on the Corroboree Tree. Rather dispiriting to hear stories of how many
> vehicles hit it.
>
> Anyway, back to green lane marking. Yarra Council have used this
> surface on areas where there's a history of cyclists/motorist
> altercations. Namely the left turn from High Street into Hoddle,
> crossing the Heidelberg Road onramp from Hoddle St and Canning Street,
> Carlton.
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Southbound along St. Kilda Rd. There are also these green lanes across the
Toorak Road exit. These are risk areas for cyclists (aren't they all?). A
damn good idea.

Henry.

Carl Brewer
June 16th 05, 12:18 AM
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:10:30 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
>the junction?
>It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
>also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
>
>be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
>on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
>any punctures?

I like them, that's a nasty intersection and it seems to help a bit
with right of way issues.

The surface is much better now than it was a few months ago,
when it was Ubergreasy.

dave
June 16th 05, 08:39 AM
Kim wrote:
> flyingdutch wrote:
>
>> Can anyone give any comment/feedback on the 'greened' lane on StK Rd at
>> the junction?
>> It apparently was the first to use VicRoads' new substrate which has
>> also been just applied to the new lanes on Chandler Hwy.
>> be interested to hear from those who have/do ride StK lane frequently
>> on whether its standing up to time/wear and if it breaks up or causes
>> any punctures?
>

> is this the same kind of thing as the red bus lanes in london?
>
> cheers,
>
> kim

Thats a good question. I noticed the green lanes on the Chandler this
morning.. Not sold on bike lanes as a rule but they do look like a good
idea. Got to give the average car driver all the clues possible :)

Dave

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home