PDA

View Full Version : RR: Murarrie Crit 18 June 05

Tamyka Bell
June 19th 05, 06:50 AM
Complete report by me at
http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2005/06/all-about-my-crit.html

Executive summary?

Absent Husband talked me into Cat 2. I got dropped at the end of lap 4,
coming out of a corner on the inside, the cross headwind got me and I
wasn't paying enough attention. I did a few laps on my own, watched
carefully and rejoined when they lapped me, stayed with them until the
end. And didn't make the same mistake on that particular corner again.

Absent Husband got dropped early, and I rejoined before he saw me, so he
didn't realise at first that I'd dropped a lap, which was pretty funny.

I had an awesome time, learnt heaps and had a good look at what everyone
was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joined CA I
have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really liked
swimming anyway...

Tam

DaveB
June 19th 05, 07:50 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joined CA
> I have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really liked
> swimming anyway...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!

daveB "afraid of being the only triathlete on here"

JH
June 19th 05, 10:17 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> Complete report by me at
> http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2005/06/all-about-my-crit.html
>
> Executive summary?
>
> Absent Husband talked me into Cat 2. I got dropped at the end of lap 4,
> coming out of a corner on the inside, the cross headwind got me and I
> wasn't paying enough attention. I did a few laps on my own, watched
> carefully and rejoined when they lapped me, stayed with them until the
> end. And didn't make the same mistake on that particular corner again.
>
> Absent Husband got dropped early, and I rejoined before he saw me, so he
> didn't realise at first that I'd dropped a lap, which was pretty funny.
>
> I had an awesome time, learnt heaps and had a good look at what everyone
> was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joined CA I
> have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really liked
> swimming anyway...
>
> Tam

Tam and AH well done for giving it a go, shout out when you are going next I
might get along.
BTW if you re-join TA before 30 June there is a good discount.

jh

Tamyka Bell
June 19th 05, 11:18 AM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, DaveB wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>> was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joined CA I
>> have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really liked swimming
>> anyway...
>>

> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!
>
> daveB "afraid of being the only triathlete on here"

It's not like that daveB, just that for the same price of a licence, the
CA one saves me $20 per race, and the TA one only saves me $5 per race...

Tam

you'll be right!

Tamyka Bell
June 19th 05, 11:19 AM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, JH wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
>> Complete report by me at
>> http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2005/06/all-about-my-crit.html
>>
>> Executive summary?
>>
>> Absent Husband talked me into Cat 2. I got dropped at the end of lap 4,
>> coming out of a corner on the inside, the cross headwind got me and I
>> wasn't paying enough attention. I did a few laps on my own, watched
>> carefully and rejoined when they lapped me, stayed with them until the
>> end. And didn't make the same mistake on that particular corner again.
>>
>> Absent Husband got dropped early, and I rejoined before he saw me, so he
>> didn't realise at first that I'd dropped a lap, which was pretty funny.
>>
>> I had an awesome time, learnt heaps and had a good look at what everyone
>> was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joined CA I
>> have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really liked
>> swimming anyway...
>>
>> Tam
>
> Tam and AH well done for giving it a go, shout out when you are going next I
> might get along.
> BTW if you re-join TA before 30 June there is a good discount.
>
> jh

It doesn't really save much money though... in the long run... and it's
not really necessary, unless you're racing IM... which I'm not until next
season...

Tam

DaveB
June 19th 05, 01:12 PM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, DaveB wrote:
>
>> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>>
>>> was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joined
>>> CA I have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really
>>> liked swimming anyway...
>>>

>> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!
>>
>> daveB "afraid of being the only triathlete on here"
>>

> It's not like that daveB, just that for the same price of a licence, the
> CA one saves me $20 per race, and the TA one only saves me $5 per race...
>
> Tam
>
> you'll be right!

Yep same reason I've never bothered with a TA licence. TA say you should
become a member because of all the good things they do for triathlon.
I'll join as soon as I can think of one.

DaveB "relieved to hear Tam hasn't gone to the dark side"

hippy
June 19th 05, 07:58 PM
>> daveB "afraid of being the only triathlete on here"

There was a triathlon on in Brugge today. It was massive even though
only caught the end. I wanted to do it! Yes, i wanna race I dont car
if I have to swim and run to do it, I'll even ride with panniers stil
attached! Let me at 'em!!! I just wanna race.. <sob> :S

http://www.triatlonbrugge.be/

hippy
- "I think the heat got to him

--
hippy

adam85
June 20th 05, 12:07 AM
Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> Complete report by me at
> http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2005/06/all-about-my-crit.html
>
> Executive summary?
>
> Absent Husband talked me into Cat 2. I got dropped at the end of la
> 4,
> coming out of a corner on the inside, the cross headwind got me and I
> wasn't paying enough attention. I did a few laps on my own, watched
> carefully and rejoined when they lapped me, stayed with them until the
> end. And didn't make the same mistake on that particular corner again.
>
> Absent Husband got dropped early, and I rejoined before he saw me, s
> he
> didn't realise at first that I'd dropped a lap, which was prett
> funny.
>
> I had an awesome time, learnt heaps and had a good look at wha
> everyone
> was doing. I'm looking forward to my next race... and now I've joine
> CA I
> have no intention of joining TA... er... well I never really liked
> swimming anyway...
>
> Tam

It was good to meet you guys and put faces to the words. I felt sorr
for Paul when he got dropped especially since he forked out for a da
licence! It does tend to surge at the start, sometimes you just have t
hang on and wait for the pace to settle down. Don't be discouraged
there are some strong riders in Cat 2, I spoke to a clubmate who was i
that race and the ave speed wasn't much lower that Cat1. So when's th
next race?

I was going to whine about how cold it was but we Brisso riders can'
really complain!

Ada

--
adam85

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 02:07 AM
DaveB wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:

> >> Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!
> >>
> >> daveB "afraid of being the only triathlete on here"
> >>

> > It's not like that daveB, just that for the same price of a licence, the
> > CA one saves me $20 per race, and the TA one only saves me $5 per race...
> >
> > Tam
> >
> > you'll be right!
>
> Yep same reason I've never bothered with a TA licence. TA say you should
> become a member because of all the good things they do for triathlon.
> I'll join as soon as I can think of one.
>
> DaveB "relieved to hear Tam hasn't gone to the dark side"

Tam would go to the dark side if she had more money, but she can only
afford to go partway there, with dark on the seatpost and forks.

Speaking of such things... I raced on my learsport because I didn't want
to take my bars off my felt... and I left the bell on, because I was
lazy... hahahaha.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 02:09 AM
hippy wrote:

> >> daveB "afraid of being the only triathlete on here"
>
> There was a triathlon on in Brugge today. It was massive even though I
> only caught the end. I wanted to do it! Yes, i wanna race I dont care
> if I have to swim and run to do it, I'll even ride with panniers still
> attached! Let me at 'em!!! I just wanna race.. <sob> :S
>
> http://www.triatlonbrugge.be/
>
> hippy
> - "I think the heat got to him"

You realise, people are going to blame this on me, right?

Tam

LotteBum
June 20th 05, 02:11 AM
>I was going to whine about how cold it was but we Brisso riders can'
really >complain

Yes we can. I spent all weekend complaining

--
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 02:12 AM
adam85 wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Complete report by me at
> > http://blindrapture.blogspot.com/2005/06/all-about-my-crit.html
<snip>
> It was good to meet you guys and put faces to the words. I felt sorry
> for Paul when he got dropped especially since he forked out for a day
> licence! It does tend to surge at the start, sometimes you just have to
> hang on and wait for the pace to settle down. Don't be discouraged,
> there are some strong riders in Cat 2, I spoke to a clubmate who was in
> that race and the ave speed wasn't much lower that Cat1. So when's the
> next race?

You wouldn't have felt so sorry for him if you'd seen him arguing with
the nice ladies about entering Cat 2!!! That being said, it was a VERY
good call, because Cat 3 only had about 10 people in it, and didn't that
big guy look funny with all the juniors!

> I was going to whine about how cold it was but we Brisso riders can't
> really complain!

Of course we can! I nearly froze my tits off, and I didn't have much to
work with! 5deg is complaint-worthy!

Tam

Absent Husband
June 20th 05, 02:12 AM
I had a great morning at the race. Yep - got dropped super early, but I
had improved on last time so I reckon that's *almost* as good as a
win!! *laughing* I don't mind getting dropped - so long as I'm getting
better each time....... I treated it as an ITT for training purposes
after being dropped, and averaged 29.6km/h for the 35 minutes or so I
was out there. Finished feeling pretty good, whereas last time I ITT'd
myself to almost passing out and only averaged 27km/h... So quicker
with less perceived effort!!

It was great to catch up with adam, finally putting the face to the
name. Plus a couple of Tam's Defence mates, who were really nice.

Ride home was good too. As Adam (other Adam, who came 2nd in the Cat 2
race), and David (?? I think??) took off up the road, I told Tam to go
on with them. But Tam yelled out to 'em that "Paul's no hill climber!",
and they all generously slowed down to my pace for the rest of the way
down Creek Rd. Plus Tam stayed back when I suffered up the last hill on
the way home - thanks dude!!

All in all, another good benchmark & reality test for where I'm at with
my cycling (ie. crap & slow!!). Pleased I'm getting better, and good to
know how far I need to go yet. I'll be back racing on the first weekend
of July when I get my CA licence....

Cheers all,
Absent Husband (Paul)

LotteBum
June 20th 05, 02:22 AM
Abby said

>It was great to catch up with adam, finally putting the face to th
>name.

Adam and I have unfinished business. Maybe I'll affiliate in July an
we can sort it out.

>Plus a couple of Tam's Defence mates, who were really nice

I bet they were. Sorry to have missed that

<snip

Give me a few weeks of riding and I'll come out and flog you all. Pu
it this way, no-one has seen my newly acquired quads*.

Lott

*This includes me

--
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 02:22 AM
Absent Husband wrote:

> I had a great morning at the race. Yep - got dropped super early, but I
> had improved on last time so I reckon that's *almost* as good as a
> win!! *laughing* I don't mind getting dropped - so long as I'm getting
> better each time....... I treated it as an ITT for training purposes
> after being dropped, and averaged 29.6km/h for the 35 minutes or so I
> was out there. Finished feeling pretty good, whereas last time I ITT'd
> myself to almost passing out and only averaged 27km/h... So quicker
> with less perceived effort!!

Next time you've gotta take a big rest (like I did) when you get
dropped, so you can get back in the bunch when they come around. ITT is
going to help your fitness and your triathlon but being in the bunch
will teach you how to stay there. Next time I'm going to be up way
further.

> It was great to catch up with adam, finally putting the face to the
> name. Plus a couple of Tam's Defence mates, who were really nice.

Nah, they were my southside boys. I met them through a running club
where they were trying to meet girls. The defence guys included that one
who said "my legs felt like ****" and I said "you look like ****" and he
said "you look like how I feel" - charming, really.

> Ride home was good too. As Adam (other Adam, who came 2nd in the Cat 2
> race), and David (?? I think??) took off up the road, I told Tam to go

Was that his name? I'd never met him before. In fact it was the first
time I met Adam B as well. The only one I'd met before was Ken, the big
blonde guy who spat all over his own shoe at the end.

> on with them. But Tam yelled out to 'em that "Paul's no hill climber!",
> and they all generously slowed down to my pace for the rest of the way
> down Creek Rd. Plus Tam stayed back when I suffered up the last hill on
> the way home - thanks dude!!

Yeah, you thought I was being nice, but it was good for me - about 5
minutes later I bonked big time, and was reaching for my gu...

> All in all, another good benchmark & reality test for where I'm at with
> my cycling (ie. crap & slow!!). Pleased I'm getting better, and good to
> know how far I need to go yet. I'll be back racing on the first weekend
> of July when I get my CA licence....

See you there!

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 02:38 AM
LotteBum wrote:

> Abby said:

Oh he's going to love being called that!

<snip>
> Give me a few weeks of riding and I'll come out and flog you all. Put
> it this way, no-one has seen my newly acquired quads*.
>
> Lotte
>
> *This includes me.
>
> --
> LotteBum

Interesting you mention those quads, LotteBum... I got a new set also,
but they only came out on Sunday morning, after the race...

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 07:51 AM
Abby blogged it too:

http://absenthusband.blogspot.com/