PDA

View Full Version : Fumes (or should that be 'phew-mes')

eddiec
June 20th 05, 03:26 AM
OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt
but an interesting thought still...

http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu

Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising wit
exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst u
might be of relevance.

Anyone got any better data on this?

I know when I started cycle-commuting regularly I did notice this a bi
- especially when getting stuck behind buses and so on - and did go an
buy a good cycling pollution mask. But then summer came around, mas
was hot, filter needed replacing, and I didn't bother. But now maybe
should do so again. Seem to notice the fumes more in winter for som
reason, and I'm sure they don't help the asthma, even though I don'
notice any problems on a usual ride..

--
eddiec

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 03:39 AM
eddiec wrote:

> OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt,
> but an interesting thought still...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
>
> Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising with
> exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst us
> might be of relevance.
>
> Anyone got any better data on this?
>
> I know when I started cycle-commuting regularly I did notice this a bit
> - especially when getting stuck behind buses and so on - and did go and
> buy a good cycling pollution mask. But then summer came around, mask
> was hot, filter needed replacing, and I didn't bother. But now maybe I
> should do so again. Seem to notice the fumes more in winter for some
> reason, and I'm sure they don't help the asthma, even though I don't
> notice any problems on a usual ride...
>
> --
> eddiec

I figure if we expose ourself to these toxins over the next few
generations we'll eventaully adapt and overcome...right?...

.... frankly I'm more worried about being hit by the cars. And on cold
mornings (1) the steam and/or smoke accompanying the fumes are more
visible and (2) your lungs are burning more from the cold.

Tam

flyingdutch
June 20th 05, 04:00 AM
eddiec Wrote:
> OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt
> but an interesting thought still...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
>
> Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising wit
> exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst u
> might be of relevance.
>
> Anyone got any better data on this?
>
> I know when I started cycle-commuting regularly I did notice this a bi
> - especially when getting stuck behind buses and so on - and did go an
> buy a good cycling pollution mask. But then summer came around, mas
> was hot, filter needed replacing, and I didn't bother. But now maybe
> should do so again. Seem to notice the fumes more in winter for som
> reason, and I'm sure they don't help the asthma, even though I don'
> notice any problems on a usual ride...

If its any concellation recent studies done here/UK/USA showed peopl
IN cars are affected much worse by fumes than peds/cyclists

Besides, that's about R_____ers... :rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

ritcho
June 20th 05, 04:04 AM
eddiec Wrote:
> OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt
> but an interesting thought still...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
>
> Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising wit
> exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst u
> might be of relevance.

If anything, it suggests that motor vehicle users should be hel
responsible for their vehicles' emissions and that they should b
responsible for pollution abatement.

Ritc

--
ritcho

eddiec
June 20th 05, 04:14 AM
Located the original article which sparked the story
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/182_12_200605/sha10929_fm.html

Just an editorial, not new research, so I'm less concerned/intereste
than I was initially.
*Returns $40 for new mask filters back into wallet*

Eddie(cough)

--
eddiec

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 04:35 AM
flyingdutch wrote:

> eddiec Wrote:
> > OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt,
> > but an interesting thought still...
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
> >
> > Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising with
> > exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst us
> > might be of relevance.
> >
> > Anyone got any better data on this?
> >
> > I know when I started cycle-commuting regularly I did notice this a bit
> > - especially when getting stuck behind buses and so on - and did go and
> > buy a good cycling pollution mask. But then summer came around, mask
> > was hot, filter needed replacing, and I didn't bother. But now maybe I
> > should do so again. Seem to notice the fumes more in winter for some
> > reason, and I'm sure they don't help the asthma, even though I don't
> > notice any problems on a usual ride...
>
> If its any concellation recent studies done here/UK/USA showed people
> IN cars are affected much worse by fumes than peds/cyclists
>
> Besides, that's about R_____ers... :rolleyes:
>
> --
> flyingdutch

Hehehe you're givin' us a capital R now!

I don't know why people would want to run alongside major roads. I mean,
when you ride, that's usually where the best road surfaces are, and the
fastest way, and blah blah blah, so you deal with being on major roads.
But running alongside main roads is just running on concrete, yay
shinsplints.

Plus running in the bush gives you another reason to get dirty

Tam *looks outside at wet weather, considers a run or mtb session...*

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 04:35 AM
ritcho wrote:

> eddiec Wrote:
> > OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt,
> > but an interesting thought still...
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
> >
> > Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising with
> > exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst us
> > might be of relevance.
> >

> If anything, it suggests that motor vehicle users should be held
> responsible for their vehicles' emissions and that they should be
> responsible for pollution abatement.
>
> Ritch

Hahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahaha

Hahahahaha

*wipes eyes*

Fat chance!

Tam *agrees entirely*

TimC
June 20th 05, 05:18 AM
On 2005-06-20, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
> If its any concellation recent studies done here/UK/USA showed people
> IN cars are affected much worse by fumes than peds/cyclists

Unfortunately, they are at rest, and hence are depositing 5 times less
crap into their lungs.

I definitely feel the pollution more in winter. Where to get masks?
Last time I tried, I kept on fogging up my glasses. :)

--
TimC
E = MC ** 2 +- 3db

eddiec
June 20th 05, 05:34 AM
TimC Wrote:
> On 2005-06-20, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
> > If its any concellation recent studies done here/UK/USA showed
> people
> > IN cars are affected much worse by fumes than peds/cyclists
>
> Unfortunately, they are at rest, and hence are depositing 5 times less
> crap into their lungs.
>
> I definitely feel the pollution more in winter. Where to get masks?
> Last time I tried, I kept on fogging up my glasses. :)
>
> --
> TimC
> E = MC ** 2 +- 3db

I got mine at Cecil Walker
(http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category210_1.htm). Since these have
fairly decent valves they tend not to do the foggy glasses thing as
much.

Gets you some great freaked-out looks too. Harder to mouth abuse at
motorists though.

--
eddiec

LotteBum
June 20th 05, 05:58 AM
Not sure where I heard it, but I also remember reading somewhere tha
you are actually worse off sitting in the car than on a bike. Ia can'
help but think that people wearing masks whilst riding look lik
complete diks

<rant>There should be a pollution rating for every car - much the sam
as the fuel rating they currently get on - and a Pollution Charg
should be added to our annual registration. Put it this way, I don'
drive the most economical car on the market (Corolla), but I certainl
don't think I should be paying as much registration as the someon
driving a Hilux when I know that the Hilux, despite being 'just a
cylinder car' burns up a lot more fuel than even your averag
Commonwhore (Eugh!). This is, of course, not to say that I should b
paying less to register my car than I already am - just that it shoul
be based on efficiency and emmissions rather than how many cylinder
your car has. </rant

Would this be just too much work for our poor politicians and our poo
public servants

--
LotteBum

flyingdutch
June 20th 05, 07:21 AM
LotteBum Wrote:
> Not sure where I heard it, but I also remember reading somewhere tha
> you are actually worse off sitting in the car than on a bike. Ia can'
> help but think that people wearing masks whilst riding look lik
> complete diks.

now look! i wrote that first! If you dont pay attention I'll scream!!!

i thought they made recalcitrant couriers wear these things cos the
kept chasing cars and biting the tyres... :rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 07:35 AM
flyingdutch wrote:

> LotteBum Wrote:
> > Not sure where I heard it, but I also remember reading somewhere that
> > you are actually worse off sitting in the car than on a bike. Ia can't
> > help but think that people wearing masks whilst riding look like
> > complete diks.
> >

> now look! i wrote that first! If you dont pay attention I'll scream!!!
>
> i thought they made recalcitrant couriers wear these things cos they
> kept chasing cars and biting the tyres... :rolleyes:
>
> --
> flyingdutch

*wide eyes* really? they do that? that is soooooooo cooooool! *runs off
after some couriers...*

Tam

TimC
June 20th 05, 07:39 AM
On 2005-06-20, LotteBum (aka Bruce)

> Not sure where I heard it, but I also remember reading somewhere that
> you are actually worse off sitting in the car than on a bike. Ia can't
> help but think that people wearing masks whilst riding look like
> complete diks.

And I always thought it was some kind of political statement. Get
your exhaust **** out of my mouth, dammit!

I also think they look nicely menacing - just the right kind of thing
to wear when you are carrying that shotty. As a bonus, they can't ID
you that way.

--
TimC
"Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will

LotteBum
June 20th 05, 07:42 AM
FlyingB!tch wrote

now look! i wrote that first! If you dont pay attention I'll scream!!

HENCE I WROTE "ALSO".

i thought they made recalcitrant couriers wear these things cos the
kept chasing cars and biting the tyres... :rolleyes

Ohhhh, so they're muzzles

--
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 07:43 AM
TimC wrote:

> On 2005-06-20, LotteBum (aka Bruce)
> >
> > Not sure where I heard it, but I also remember reading somewhere that
> > you are actually worse off sitting in the car than on a bike. Ia can't
> > help but think that people wearing masks whilst riding look like
> > complete diks.
>
> And I always thought it was some kind of political statement. Get
> your exhaust **** out of my mouth, dammit!
>
> I also think they look nicely menacing - just the right kind of thing
> to wear when you are carrying that shotty. As a bonus, they can't ID
> you that way.

Why would covering up her crooked nose (from brawling) and missing teeth
make her look more menacing?

Tam

LotteBum
June 20th 05, 07:46 AM
TimC wrote

>And I always thought it was some kind of political statement. Ge
>your exhaust **** out of my mouth, dammit

No way. It makes you look like a freak. Not dangerous - just like
freak

>I also think they look nicely menacing - just the right kind of thin
>to wear when you are carrying that shotty. As a bonus, they can't I
>you that way

All I have to do is show teeth. Have you SEEN my teeth? They'r
huge!

Oh, and I salivate lots too

Lott

--
LotteBum

flyingdutch
June 20th 05, 07:56 AM
Tamyka Bell Wrote:

> *wide eyes* really? they do that? that is soooooooo cooooool! *run
> off
> after some couriers...*
>
> Tam

Hippy always dreamt of bein a courier. altho i think he currently i
(couriering beer across the roman empire, that is :rolleyes: )

i love seein these guys flow around melb-CBD, altho recently the appea
of their gig pales somewhat in ****e melb-weather :

--
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell
June 20th 05, 08:01 AM
LotteBum wrote:

> TimC wrote:
>
> >And I always thought it was some kind of political statement. Get
> >your exhaust **** out of my mouth, dammit!
>
> No way. It makes you look like a freak. Not dangerous - just like a
> freak.
<Snip>

like some kind of a hippy or something?

Tam *daydreaming now*

neuroinf
June 20th 05, 08:16 AM
Interestingly, the studies showed that pollution is actually worse
inside the car than outside. They "scoop it up".

But of course, the car driver is barely breathing, so I guess that
compensates for them.

Just keep pedalling ... :-)

hemyd
June 20th 05, 09:29 AM
"eddiec" > wrote in message

> OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt,
> but an interesting thought still...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
>
> Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising with
> exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst us
> might be of relevance.
>
> Anyone got any better data on this?
>
> I know when I started cycle-commuting regularly I did notice this a bit
> - especially when getting stuck behind buses and so on - and did go and
> buy a good cycling pollution mask. But then summer came around, mask
> was hot, filter needed replacing, and I didn't bother. But now maybe I
> should do so again. Seem to notice the fumes more in winter for some
> reason, and I'm sure they don't help the asthma, even though I don't
> notice any problems on a usual ride...
>

> --
> eddiec

That's one of the things I enjoy about commuting from Brighton along New
Street instead of Nepean Highway Melbourne - parks and trees instead of LP
gas, diesel oil and petrol fumes.

Henry.

Peter Signorini
June 20th 05, 10:48 AM
"eddiec" > wrote in message

> OK - it's from the Hun, so should be taken with large grains of salt,
> but an interesting thought still...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cjtqu
>
> Article basically talks about the increased risk of exercising with
> exposure to car fumes - Which especially for the commuters amongst us
> might be of relevance.

Not a problem according to this report from the British Medical Association,
and others since.

I remember this study from when it came out. Basically it found the risks of
breathing in polutants are sonmewhat overstated by the general public and
drop markedly as you move away from points of concentration, cyclists get
greater cardio-pulmonary, anti-arthritis and general health benefits from
cycling than from an inactive cager lifestyle, and the levels of pollutants
are generally higher inside cars than outside, due to the unnoticed buildup
of exhaust enmissions together with the release of chemical compounds from
the plastics/paint etc in the cars's cabin. Even when looking at accident
risks (for adults, following the road rules) it found cyclists were ahead.

Ride your bike, stay healthy and don't stress

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini
June 20th 05, 10:51 AM
"Peter Signorini" wrote:

> Not a problem according to this report from the British Medical
> Association, and others since.

Oh. and the link might be useful!!!
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/LIBCycling

Cheers