PDA

View Full Version : Polar 725, speed on MTB?

Claes
June 21st 05, 06:48 AM
Hi guys, I bought a new MTB, and I have a Polar S725 with speed an
cadence sensor for my roadie. Now, I am thinking of buying an extr
speed sensor to mount on the MTB too. Figured that cadence is not o
such an interest on the mtb anyway.
But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to the abus
of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is never cheap
:

--
Claes

flyingdutch
June 21st 05, 07:40 AM
Claes Wrote:
> Hi guys, I bought a new MTB, and I have a Polar S725 with speed an
> cadence sensor for my roadie. Now, I am thinking of buying an extr
> speed sensor to mount on the MTB too. Figured that cadence is not o
> such an interest on the mtb anyway.
> But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to the abus
> of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is never cheap
> :)

so that's 2 new bikes in how many days!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Im in the wrong line of business...

unless youre whackin thru low-lying undergrowth should be fine.
warning tho. HRs are always much higher (IMHO) mtb'ing
something to do with the 'oh shiiiiiiitt...' factor :D
Oh wait. I do that on the roady too

F"Crash HR Bandicoot"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Claes
June 21st 05, 08:03 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> so that's 2 new bikes in how many days!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
>
> Im in the wrong line of business...
>
> unless youre whackin thru low-lying undergrowth should be fine.
> warning tho. HRs are always much higher (IMHO) mtb'ing
> something to do with the 'oh shiiiiiiitt...' factor :D
> Oh wait. I do that on the roady too
>
> F"Crash HR Bandicoot"Dutch
Nah, just the same old stumpjumper, I still call it new although I hav
spent more than 9 hours on it since saturday. Heck, I have even ordere
new tyres for it. :) Going to commonwealth mtb course on sunday, so
will miss the BR again. ****e. But **** happens. :)
Ok, I'll take your word for it, saw some price on the web which was 3
American dollars, I'll check the price here. Hmm, what about bik
mount? Fekk, if I fall of the bike and the computer goes with the bike
It is prolly safer on my wrist I would think.

--
Claes

Claes
June 21st 05, 08:56 AM
Claes Wrote:
> Nah, just the same old stumpjumper, I still call it new although I hav
> spent more than 9 hours on it since saturday. Heck, I have even ordere
> new tyres for it. :) Going to commonwealth mtb course on sunday, so
> will miss the BR again. ****e. But **** happens. :)
> Ok, I'll take your word for it, saw some price on the web which was 3
> American dollars, I'll check the price here. Hmm, what about bik
> mount? Fekk, if I fall of the bike and the computer goes with the bike
> It is prolly safer on my wrist I would think. ?
Gaaah, the sensor with bikemount is over 100 dollars here. Found it o
the web with bikemount for 35 american. Arrrgggghhh. If I had time t
wait, I would. :

--
Claes

Parbs
June 21st 05, 09:53 AM
"Claes" wrote in message ...

> But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to the abuse
> of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is never cheap.
> :)

I've got a Polar speed sensor on my Mtb (rigid surly) & I'm not the smoothest rider around
<http://www.users.bigpond.com/rob.parbery/Menai%20List%20Ride/images/img_0792.jpg>. I've had it on since April, riding or racing
(XC & enduros) almost every weekend as well as the occasional mid week ride and some commuting.

So far it still works. Occasionally the sensor will take a knock that will put it out of alignment with the magnet, but that will
happen with any fork mounted sensor.

Parbs

SteveA
June 21st 05, 11:10 AM
Parbs Wrote:
> "Claes" wrote in message ..
>
> > But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to th
> abus
> > of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is neve
> cheap
> > :
>
> I've got a Polar speed sensor on my Mtb (rigid surly) & I'm not th
> smoothest rider aroun
> <http://www.users.bigpond.com/rob.parbery/Menai%20List%20Ride/images/img_0792.jpg>
> I've had it on since April, riding or racin
> (XC & enduros) almost every weekend as well as the occasional mid wee
> ride and some commuting
>
> So far it still works. Occasionally the sensor will take a knock tha
> will put it out of alignment with the magnet, but that wil
> happen with any fork mounted sensor
>
> Parbs

Knocks to fork mounted sensors - who has the sensor mounted at th
front of the fork blade? Who has the sensor mounted at the rear

Lots of people mount them at the rear because they are more protected.
But it was explained to me that if you mount them at the front of th
blade, they will be knocked back out of the spokes if knocked into th
wheel. If they are at the rear of the fork blade they will be pulle
into the wheel by the spokes. You all probably already know this bu
it was news to me

Steve

--
SteveA

till!
June 21st 05, 12:10 PM
'Cough, cough' (http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category296_1.htm) - m
mind hurts about that ETA function though :

til

--
till!

SteveA
June 21st 05, 12:18 PM
till! Wrote:
> 'Cough, cough' (http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category296_1.htm) - m
> mind hurts about that ETA function though :
>
> till
Where's the button to input the expected number of falls in order t
determine the ETA

Crash Bandicoot you need one of these

Steve

--
SteveA

The P
June 23rd 05, 12:32 PM
"Claes" > wrote in message

> Hi guys, I bought a new MTB, and I have a Polar S725 with speed and
> cadence sensor for my roadie. Now, I am thinking of buying an extra
> speed sensor to mount on the MTB too. Figured that cadence is not of
> such an interest on the mtb anyway.
> But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to the abuse
> of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is never cheap.
> :)
>

> --
> Claes

I have had a polar speed and cadence sensor on my MTB for around 4 years.
It has stood up to a few stacks. You should be able to pick one up for
around $70-80 on the Net.

Ebay - various prices
http://www.dickinson.com.au/prices/polar.asp around $72

Cheers

adam85
June 24th 05, 12:01 AM
The P Wrote:
> "Claes" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hi guys, I bought a new MTB, and I have a Polar S725 with speed and
> > cadence sensor for my roadie. Now, I am thinking of buying an extra
> > speed sensor to mount on the MTB too. Figured that cadence is not of
> > such an interest on the mtb anyway.
> > But, back to the speed sensor, you reckon it will stand up to th
> abuse
> > of XC riding? I assume it is pricey, since polar stuff is neve
> cheap.
> > :)
> >

> > --
> > Claes
> >

> I have had a polar speed and cadence sensor on my MTB for around
> years.
> It has stood up to a few stacks. You should be able to pick one u
> for
> around $70-80 on the Net.
>
> Ebay - various prices
> http://www.dickinson.com.au/prices/polar.asp around $72
>
> Cheers

I was going to say they seem quite durable and that I've swapped on
between road and MTB a fair bit and had a few stacks with no problems
But then...cleaning my bike last night after changing wheel bearings
bumped the sensor and the mounts cracked and broke off where the zi
ties go through. Maybe I can glue something on to it to make a ne
bracket but it's annoying. So I guess what I'm trying to say is the
are not indestructible

--
adam85

Claes
June 24th 05, 05:41 AM
Ok, I am picking up two tyres, the speed sensor for the polar and a for
pump tonight in my dealer. What else do I need? Have not ridden an MT
for years. I used to carry around a chain tool, with a few spare links
since snapping the chain did happen some times to me. Should I still d
that? Or is the mtb chain just like road chains, endless or what hav
you. :

--
Claes

Marx SS
June 24th 05, 06:46 AM
I found that fitting my comp & sensor with rubber bands (cross section
of old bike tube) is great when you stack because nothing reall
‘breaks’ off, it just spins about & flicks back. The bike comp I hav
is the Sigma Sport Targa which mounts (the base mount) to the ‘bars b
rubber bands.
Good tip to mount stuff more inboard as possible, as arrant excursion
into trackside bushes etc can have you emerging less any quick-releas
comps/lights etc.

I found that my chain can slap a lot on the chain-stay with heav
going. I wrapped the chain stay with a cut old tube fixed with zi
ties. Not sure if it there to protect the chain, the duco on the chai
stay or the factory supplied plastic strip on the chain stay.

It’s kinda fun MTBing at the moment with all this rain about

--
Marx SS

Claes
June 24th 05, 07:11 AM
Marx SS Wrote:
> I found that fitting my comp & sensor with rubber bands (cross section
> of old bike tube) is great when you stack because nothing reall
> ‘breaks’ off, it just spins about & flicks back. The bike comp I hav
> is the Sigma Sport Targa which mounts (the base mount) to the ‘bars b
> rubber bands.
> Good tip to mount stuff more inboard as possible, as arrant excursion
> into trackside bushes etc can have you emerging less any quick-releas
> comps/lights etc.
>
> I found that my chain can slap a lot on the chain-stay with heav
> going. I wrapped the chain stay with a cut old tube fixed with zi
> ties. Not sure if it there to protect the chain, the duco on the chai
> stay or the factory supplied plastic strip on the chain stay.
>
> It’s kinda fun MTBing at the moment with all this rain about.
My bike came with some specialized neopren protection on the chai
stays. :) So that is not problem for me. I'll have fun tonight
changing tyres, mounting sensor and stuff

--
Claes

adam85
June 24th 05, 07:36 AM
Claes Wrote:
> Ok, I am picking up two tyres, the speed sensor for the polar and a for
> pump tonight in my dealer. What else do I need? Have not ridden an MT
> for years. I used to carry around a chain tool, with a few spare links
> since snapping the chain did happen some times to me. Should I still d
> that? Or is the mtb chain just like road chains, endless or what hav
> you. :)

Yeah I'd still carry a chain tool and a few links but also I have tw
of those wipperman connex links ($8 each). Put one on the chain so yo
can take it off and clean if properly and the other to use if you brea
the chain (quicker than putting in a pin in a race)

--
adam85

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home