PDA

View Full Version : Special washing for Jerseys?

Greg Walton
June 22nd 05, 08:25 PM
I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing mountainbikers
and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.

Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain summer
sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties, one
"coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German is
not so good).

Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
cotton t's :-)

Cheers
Greg

hippy
June 22nd 05, 10:38 PM
Greg Walton Wrote:
> I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearin
> mountainbikers
> and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
>
> Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chai
> summer
> sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties
> one
> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the sho
> assistant
> advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
> breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss Germa
> is
> not so good).
>
> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> cotton t's :-)
>
> Cheers
> Greg

All my cycling gear gets thrown in the washing machine. But then so d
my lights and darks. Meh! I grow out of them before they wear ou
so..?

At the moment I'm handwashing everything in the shower, daily. Thin
yourself lucky! :P

hippy
- now in da Netherlands

--
hippy

Greg Walton
June 22nd 05, 11:26 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message

> Greg Walton Wrote:
>> I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing
>> mountainbikers
>> and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
>>
>> Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain
>> summer
>> sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties,
>> one
>> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop
>> assistant
>> advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
>> breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German
>> is
>> not so good).
>>
>> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
>> cotton t's :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Greg
>
> All my cycling gear gets thrown in the washing machine. But then so do
> my lights and darks. Meh! I grow out of them before they wear out
> so..?
>
> At the moment I'm handwashing everything in the shower, daily. Think
> yourself lucky! :P
>
> hippy
> - now in da Netherlands!

Yeah well get yourself down here to Zurich and have unlimited access to our
washing machine!

Cheers
Greg

LotteBum
June 22nd 05, 11:48 PM
Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my ol
cotton t's :-

Jerseys, despite what you might think, are actually quite durable.
have several that are over 5 years old (however, I wouldn't be see
dead in them) and have been washed hundreds of times. Having sai
that, if you're worried about jerseys getting trashed in the wash, us
a wash bag

I'm a washing nazi (I only do about 10 loads each week) and although
usually wash only with Dynamo liquid detergent, I now use the powder
which seems just as good. Something I do religiously is use a
antibacterial laundry additive which is available in supermarkets fo
about $6 - $7 for a 1 litre bottle. I find this totally eliminates an
smell which does tend to build up over time in clothes worn whils
exercising (either that or I'm just feral).

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

rooman
June 22nd 05, 11:54 PM
Greg Walton Wrote:
> "hippy" > wrote in messag
> ..
>
> > Greg Walton Wrote
> >> I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearin
> >> mountainbiker
> >> and bought my first proper cycling jerseys
> >
> >> Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports stor
> chai
> >> summe
> >> sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magica
> properties
> >> on
> >> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the sho
> >> assistan
> >> advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks th
> >> breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swis
> Germa
> >> not so good)
> >
> >> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than m
> ol
> >> cotton t's :-
> >
> >> Cheer
> >> Gre
>
> > All my cycling gear gets thrown in the washing machine. But then s
> > my lights and darks. Meh! I grow out of them before they wear ou
> > so..
>
> > At the moment I'm handwashing everything in the shower, daily. Thin
> > yourself lucky! :
>
> > hipp
> > - now in da Netherlands
>
> Yeah well get yourself down here to Zurich and have unlimited access t
> ou
> washing machine
>
> Cheer
> Greg
but what about your knicks? meh!

just machine wash em too, as long as you arent knee deep in an Alpin
stream bashing them against a rock they'll be fine - no chance of tha
for you in NL hippy, hah, the highest mountain is a lump of fill with
few extra shovel loads on top ! (machine wash them in cold water, (wit
your knicks).

I use powder, ( dissolve it first if its lousy powder), cold water an
air dry them on a rack ( not rock)( In Melbourne's minimal humidit
they dry in no time)...

ah! you european trekkers....me jealous (only in winter!

--
rooman

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 12:47 AM
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:25:44 +0200, "Greg Walton" >
wrote:

>I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing mountainbikers
>and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
>
>Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain summer
>sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties, one
>"coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
>advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
>breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German is
>not so good).
>
>Is this true?

No.

Bung 'em in the wash like everything else.

Knicks I handwash in the shower though, I find if I
machine wash them - even in a wash bag, the
chamois comes unstitched way before its time.

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 01:14 AM
Greg Walton wrote:

> "hippy" > wrote in message
> >
> > Greg Walton Wrote:
> >> I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing
> >> mountainbikers
> >> and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
> >>
> >> Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain
> >> summer
> >> sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties,
> >> one
> >> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop
> >> assistant
> >> advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
> >> breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German
> >> is
> >> not so good).
> >>
> >> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> >> cotton t's :-)
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Greg
> >
> > All my cycling gear gets thrown in the washing machine. But then so do
> > my lights and darks. Meh! I grow out of them before they wear out
> > so..?
> >
> > At the moment I'm handwashing everything in the shower, daily. Think
> > yourself lucky! :P
> >
> > hippy
> > - now in da Netherlands!
> >
> Yeah well get yourself down here to Zurich and have unlimited access to our
> washing machine!
>
> Cheers
> Greg

Ew, are you sure you wanna make an offer like that to a guy who has been
on the road for twenty-something days?

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 01:18 AM
LotteBum wrote:

> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> cotton t's :-)
>
> Jerseys, despite what you might think, are actually quite durable. I
> have several that are over 5 years old (however, I wouldn't be seen
> dead in them) and have been washed hundreds of times. Having said
> that, if you're worried about jerseys getting trashed in the wash, use
> a wash bag.
>
> I'm a washing nazi (I only do about 10 loads each week) and although I
> usually wash only with Dynamo liquid detergent, I now use the powder,
> which seems just as good. Something I do religiously is use an
> antibacterial laundry additive which is available in supermarkets for
> about $6 - $7 for a 1 litre bottle. I find this totally eliminates any
> smell which does tend to build up over time in clothes worn whilst
> exercising (either that or I'm just feral).
>
> LotteBum

I used to worry about my cycling gear but modern washing machines are
pretty gentle - at my old place I used a wash bag for the knicks (just a
loose mesh one).

I use heaps of laundry liquid or powder - it's okay, the powder
dissolves, but if you're worried, put it in first and your knicks in
last, so there'll be no dry bits!

I didn't know antibacterial additive existed? I spray prewash citrus
stain remover on the bits I've sweated on the most. I use a small scoop
of napisan in with all training gear, and about every third wash I'll
leave it to soak for about 20-30 minutes (or a few hours, if I forget
about it) ... I think the fancy synthetics take longer to clean, because
the sweat really gets sucked into the moisture wicking fibres.

Manufacturers like you to think their stuff is really fragile, but it
isn't. If you follow the directions, you'll find your stuff really
smelly in a few months and ready for replacing.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 01:20 AM
Greg:
<snip>
> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
<snip>

PS - forgot to add:

Oh yeah... BiKeTeX... imagine the possibilities...

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 01:22 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:25:44 +0200, "Greg Walton" >
> wrote:
>
> >I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing mountainbikers
> >and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
> >
> >Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain summer
> >sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties, one
> >"coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
> >advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
> >breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German is
> >not so good).
> >
> >Is this true?
>
> No.
>
> Bung 'em in the wash like everything else.
>
> Knicks I handwash in the shower though, I find if I
> machine wash them - even in a wash bag, the
> chamois comes unstitched way before its time.

Unstitched chamois? My knicks are worn to transparency before the
chamois is unstitched! Must be Melbourne water...

Tam (Sorry about the gross disturbing visuals)

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 01:44 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:22:56 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
wrote:

>Unstitched chamois? My knicks are worn to transparency before the
>chamois is unstitched! Must be Melbourne water...

Mine aren't made of gladwrap and lace.

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 01:45 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:18:53 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
wrote:

>stain remover on the bits I've sweated on the most. I use a small scoop
>of napisan in with all training gear, and about every third wash I'll
>leave it to soak for about 20-30 minutes (or a few hours, if I forget
>about it) ... I think the fancy synthetics take longer to clean, because
>the sweat really gets sucked into the moisture wicking fibres.

That's why your knicks fade before coming unstitched! That, and that
they're made of lace & gladwrap ...

tony f
June 23rd 05, 01:52 AM
"Greg Walton" > wrote in message
> I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing
mountainbikers
> and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
>
> Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain
summer
> sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties, one
> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
> advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
> breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German is
> not so good).
>
> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> cotton t's :-)

Generally you'll find that all cycling gear should be hand washed by a team
of 20 virgins, using only the purest mountain spring water. Drying should be
no more intense than using the warm breath of the virgins as they sleep.

According to the manufacturer. Mine just goes in the wash with some of that
Canesten anitbacterial stuff as well. Mind you, our new washing machine has
a huge agitator that causes all our clothes to wear more quickly - as far as
I can tell. Maybe I really do need some virgins? ;^)

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com
homemade bike lights, Blue Mountains mtb track reviews

craigster_jd
June 23rd 05, 01:53 AM
Greg Walton Wrote:

> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> cotton t's :-)
>
> Cheers
> Greg
You've received some responses to the contrary, but I follow the advic
of the lady in the Assos shop and only use a delicate program, at 3
degrees. I use a detergent designed for woollens (I was told tha
regular biological detergent is not good for lycra) which I can'
remember the name of, but it's not the expensive stuff that Asso
themselves make. To eliminate smelly bits, I spray Shout stain remove
on the chamois and other sweaty areas first. This Antibacteria
additive that LB mentions sounds good. Wash and dry everythin
inside-out.

Cheers,
Craigster

--
craigster_jd

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 02:01 AM
craigster_jd wrote:

> Greg Walton Wrote:
> >

> > Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> > cotton t's :-)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Greg
> You've received some responses to the contrary, but I follow the advice
> of the lady in the Assos shop and only use a delicate program, at 30
> degrees. I use a detergent designed for woollens (I was told that
> regular biological detergent is not good for lycra) which I can't
> remember the name of, but it's not the expensive stuff that Assos
> themselves make. To eliminate smelly bits, I spray Shout stain remover
> on the chamois and other sweaty areas first. This Antibacterial
> additive that LB mentions sounds good. Wash and dry everything
> inside-out.
>
> Cheers,
> Craigster.

They also say dry in the shade. Unfortunately, sunlight is what kills
the bacteria. So I hang my stuff up in the sun. I used to hang it up in
the shade. I haven't noticed any reduction in how long my clothing lasts
as a result of this harsh treatment.

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 02:04 AM
tony f wrote:

> "Greg Walton" > wrote in message
> > I've just graduated from the school of "old t-shirt" wearing
> mountainbikers
> > and bought my first proper cycling jerseys.
> >
> > Got a couple of nice Descente jerseys at the local sports store chain
> summer
> > sales. They are made from polyesters with alleged magical properties, one
> > "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
> > advised me about not washing with powder detergent as it blocks the
> > breathability of the material (or something like this, my Swiss German is
> > not so good).
> >
> > Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
> > cotton t's :-)
>
> Generally you'll find that all cycling gear should be hand washed by a team
> of 20 virgins, using only the purest mountain spring water. Drying should be
> no more intense than using the warm breath of the virgins as they sleep.
>
> According to the manufacturer. Mine just goes in the wash with some of that
> Canesten anitbacterial stuff as well. Mind you, our new washing machine has
> a huge agitator that causes all our clothes to wear more quickly - as far as
> I can tell. Maybe I really do need some virgins? ;^)
>
> Tony F
> www.thefathippy.com
> homemade bike lights, Blue Mountains mtb track reviews

_Canesten_ antibacterial stuff? Antibacterial laundry wash is not what I
associate with Canesten. To be as feral as LotteBum... with Canesten I
associate the reason why I now wash my knicks in napisan and hang them
up in the sun.

Er... where do you get that, anyway? Just a supermarket thing?

Tam

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 02:05 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:18:53 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
> wrote:
>

> >stain remover on the bits I've sweated on the most. I use a small scoop
> >of napisan in with all training gear, and about every third wash I'll
> >leave it to soak for about 20-30 minutes (or a few hours, if I forget
> >about it) ... I think the fancy synthetics take longer to clean, because
> >the sweat really gets sucked into the moisture wicking fibres.
>
> That's why your knicks fade before coming unstitched! That, and that
> they're made of lace & gladwrap ...

Carl, that's a disturbing fetish you seem to have.

Plus, you forgot the leather.

Tam *who hasn't had to throw out a pair of knicks yet... but that one
pair is getting a bit like gladwrap...*

Marx SS
June 23rd 05, 02:07 AM
And here I am thinking that cycling specific clothing is supposed to b
the most ‘easy care’ than anything else.
I love how you can wash them after dinner, chuck them on the line on
cold winter’s night & they’ll be dry for the morning commute.

I have noticed some of the cheaper tops get all furry & stretched ou
funny like, after a while

--
Marx SS

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 02:19 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:22:56 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
> wrote:
>
> >Unstitched chamois? My knicks are worn to transparency before the
> >chamois is unstitched! Must be Melbourne water...
>
> Mine aren't made of gladwrap and lace.

I accidentally put one set in the dryer and they made a horrible mess...

Tam

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 02:42 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:05:43 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
wrote:

>Carl, that's a disturbing fetish you seem to have.

What? following female cyclists in faded knicks? That's not
disturbing ... mmmm, the seat of power ...

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 02:43 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:05:43 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
> wrote:
>
> >Carl, that's a disturbing fetish you seem to have.
>
> What? following female cyclists in faded knicks? That's not
> disturbing ... mmmm, the seat of power ...

When you head up to Qld, I sucking your wheel, just you remember that!

Tam

LotteBum
June 23rd 05, 04:28 AM
Tamyka sai

When you head up to Qld, I sucking your wheel, just you remember that

For some reason, this strikes me as very Team America: World Police.
If you haven't already, please watch this movie with the subtitles ON

Herro Tamyka, I very busy. Why can't people be more interrigent? Rik
me

LotteBum (I'm so ronery... a rittle ronery

--
LotteBum

Greg Walton
June 23rd 05, 05:36 AM
"craigster_jd" > wrote in
message ...

> Greg Walton Wrote:
>>

>> Is this true? Any care tips? I'd like to treat them better than my old
>> cotton t's :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Greg
> You've received some responses to the contrary, but I follow the advice
> of the lady in the Assos shop and only use a delicate program, at 30
> degrees. I use a detergent designed for woollens (I was told that
> regular biological detergent is not good for lycra) which I can't
> remember the name of, but it's not the expensive stuff that Assos
> themselves make. To eliminate smelly bits, I spray Shout stain remover
> on the chamois and other sweaty areas first. This Antibacterial
> additive that LB mentions sounds good. Wash and dry everything
> inside-out.
>
> Cheers,
> Craigster.

Ah yes, the woollens detergent was a part I lost in translation.

Normally my clothes washing technique is as sophisticated as splitting darks
and lights. But I don't usually get such laundrytips when I buy clothing,
particularly at a large A to Z sports store. Then again I paid at the
camping/hiking desk, and the assistant was probably a Gore-Tex expert or
something.

I think I'm developing a bent for technical clothing :-)

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Cheers,
Greg

TimC
June 23rd 05, 05:59 AM
On 2005-06-23, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> Greg:
> <snip>
>> "coolmatic" and the other "biketex". As I paid for them the shop assistant
> <snip>
>
> PS - forgot to add:
>
> Oh yeah... BiKeTeX... imagine the possibilities...

$\bike{} \rightarrow \zoom{}$?

--
TimC
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

tony f
June 23rd 05, 06:04 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> tony f wrote:
<snip>

> > Generally you'll find that all cycling gear should be hand washed by a
team
> > of 20 virgins, using only the purest mountain spring water. Drying
should be
> > no more intense than using the warm breath of the virgins as they sleep.
> >
> > According to the manufacturer. Mine just goes in the wash with some of
that
> > Canesten anitbacterial stuff as well. Mind you, our new washing machine
has
> > a huge agitator that causes all our clothes to wear more quickly - as
far as
> > I can tell. Maybe I really do need some virgins? ;^)
> >
> > Tony F
> > www.thefathippy.com
> > homemade bike lights, Blue Mountains mtb track reviews
>
> _Canesten_ antibacterial stuff? Antibacterial laundry wash is not what I
> associate with Canesten. To be as feral as LotteBum... with Canesten I
> associate the reason why I now wash my knicks in napisan and hang them
> up in the sun.
>
> Er... where do you get that, anyway? Just a supermarket thing?
>
> Tam

Yep. That's the one - same company who make tinea and thrush treatments.
It's not a wash itself, but an additive (like Cuddly or similar softeners).
We buy it in litre(?) bottles from Woolies etc. You still need detergent -
Cold Power, Napisan etc. Our machine allows us to put it in the dispenser
when we chuck everything in the machine - other machines might need you to
add it manually. We always add some to the undies or bike gear washes.

I have to say that tinea outbreaks are few and far between since we've been
using it, but that could also be because I'm cleaning between my toes
properly now...

Regards

Tony F

LotteBum
June 23rd 05, 06:28 AM
>Yep. That's the one - same company who make tinea and thrus
>treatments

Let's get straight to the point

>It's not a wash itself, but an additive (like Cuddly or simila
softeners)
>We buy it in litre(?) bottles from Woolies etc

Same as the stuff I get. Dettol make it as well. I presume it's al
the same. It's just watery blueish stuff. I do, however, think tha
buying the Dettol brand might be a bit better for the young - a bi
less confronting

>You still need detergent - Cold Power, Napisan etc. Our machine allow
us to >put it in the dispenser when we chuck everything in the machine
other >machines might need you to add it manually. We always add some t
the >undies or bike gear washes

Yeah it's a rinse. The stuff I buy, you put in with the fabri
softener..

>I have to say that tinea outbreaks are few and far between since we'v
>been using it, but that could also be because I'm cleaning between m
toe
>properly now..

Hah, glad to hear it. You'd be amazed to discover what cleaning you
botbot does - I started this recently and the results are jus
phenomenal.

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 06:41 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:28:52 +1000, LotteBum
> wrote:

>Hah, glad to hear it. You'd be amazed to discover what cleaning your
>botbot does - I started this recently and the results are just
>phenomenal.

No grinding noises and extruded grits when you walk/ride?

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 06:42 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:28:52 +1000, LotteBum
> > wrote:
>
> >Hah, glad to hear it. You'd be amazed to discover what cleaning your
> >botbot does - I started this recently and the results are just
> >phenomenal.
>
> No grinding noises and extruded grits when you walk/ride?

I wouldn't go so far as to say "no" but maybe "fewer"...

Tam *has only ridden with LotteBum once

LotteBum
June 23rd 05, 06:51 AM
No! It's like I've been rebuilt

LotteBU

--
LotteBum

tony f
June 23rd 05, 07:13 AM
"LotteBum" > wrote in message

> >Yep. That's the one - same company who make tinea and thrush
> >treatments.
>
> Let's get straight to the point!
>
> >It's not a wash itself, but an additive (like Cuddly or similar
> softeners).
> >We buy it in litre(?) bottles from Woolies etc.
>
> Same as the stuff I get. Dettol make it as well. I presume it's all
> the same. It's just watery blueish stuff. I do, however, think that
> buying the Dettol brand might be a bit better for the young - a bit
> less confronting!

Yup, watery and blue.

> >You still need detergent - Cold Power, Napisan etc. Our machine allows
> us to >put it in the dispenser when we chuck everything in the machine -
> other >machines might need you to add it manually. We always add some to
> the >undies or bike gear washes.
>
> Yeah it's a rinse. The stuff I buy, you put in with the fabric
> softener..

Canesten's the same, but we don't normally use any softener.

> >I have to say that tinea outbreaks are few and far between since we've
> >been using it, but that could also be because I'm cleaning between my
> toes
> >properly now...
>
> Hah, glad to hear it. You'd be amazed to discover what cleaning your
> botbot does - I started this recently and the results are just
> phenomenal.

Hang on - your botbot's between your toes? <insert lewd joke>

Or maybe you're suggesting I'll also see some improvements if I give my
botbot a wash as well? Novel idea, and I suppose it could work... ;^) Once a
week enough?

And what were the phenomenal results? =8^O

Tony F

LotteBum
June 23rd 05, 07:24 AM
Tony F said

Hang on - your botbot's between your toes? <insert lewd joke

My feet may smell, but.... nah, I won't go there

Or maybe you're suggesting I'll also see some improvements if I give m
botbot a wash as well? Novel idea, and I suppose it could work... ;^
Once
week enough

Should be.

And what were the phenomenal results? =8^

Can I just say that my butt sparkles

--
LotteBum

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 08:18 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:51:15 +1000, LotteBum
> wrote:

>No! It's like I've been rebuilt!
>
>LotteBUM

LottARSE?

hrm .. maybe not, if it's sparkling ...

HUMBUG
June 23rd 05, 09:35 AM
On 23/06/05 at 10:20:15 Tamyka Bell somehow managed to type:

<snip>

> PS - forgot to add:
>
> Oh yeah... BiKeTeX... imagine the possibilities...

Well it sounds a whole lot better'n BikeROFF.....

--
the fastest moving Humbug that you ever nearly saw

Peter Signorini
June 24th 05, 11:52 AM
"rooman" wrote:

> but what about your knicks? meh!!
>
> just machine wash em too, as long as you arent knee deep in an Alpine
> stream bashing them against a rock they'll be fine

Welll.. been there, done that too. The knicks survived quite OK, still
wearing them. Good quality lycra and synthetic chamois is pretty tough.

Have even done this years ago to the real chamois, without too much
difficulty - its the air drying and the first 5 kms of riding that can get a
bit scratchy.

Cheers
Peter

TimC
June 26th 05, 09:44 AM
On 2005-06-22, LotteBum (aka Bruce)
> I'm a washing nazi (I only do about 10 loads each week) and although I
> usually wash only with Dynamo liquid detergent, I now use the powder,
> which seems just as good. Something I do religiously is use an
> antibacterial laundry additive which is available in supermarkets for
> about $6 - $7 for a 1 litre bottle.

So I went searching in the local stupormarket, and did not find this
misterious substance. By what name does it go under. And it can be
found next to what kinds of detergent on the aisle? The shelf stacker
was of not much help.

But hey, I managed to find laundry bags.

--
TimC
I got told by a friend's ex-girlfriend that she could tell I was

Parbs
June 26th 05, 10:44 AM
"TimC" wrote in message ...

> So I went searching in the local stupormarket, and did not find this
> misterious substance. By what name does it go under. And it can be
> found next to what kinds of detergent on the aisle? The shelf stacker
> was of not much help.

Canesten Hygiene Laundry Rinse - white 1L bottle with yellow or blue lid

Parbs

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 12:16 AM
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:44:05 GMT, "Parbs" > wrote:

>"TimC" wrote in message ...
>>
>> So I went searching in the local stupormarket, and did not find this
>> misterious substance. By what name does it go under. And it can be
>> found next to what kinds of detergent on the aisle? The shelf stacker
>> was of not much help.
>>
>Canesten Hygiene Laundry Rinse - white 1L bottle with yellow or blue lid

Is that one of the "let's breed a newsuperbacteria because we're using
too many antibiotics, and sell it based on human paranoia" products?

LotteBum
June 27th 05, 12:27 AM
TimC wrote

So I went searching in the local stupormarket, and did not find thi
misterious substance. By what name does it go under. And it can b
found next to what kinds of detergent on the aisle? The shelf stacke
was of not much help

In my local little ****den, I mean supermarket, it's next to the liqui
laundry detergent if that's any help. They usually only sell one or tw
different brands - I'm sure they're very similar. I know that Dettol d
one and Pine-O-Kleen do as well?? The one I buy has a yellow lid an
it's $6.98 for 1 litre.

But hey, I managed to find laundry bags

You didn't have laundry bags?? I swear by these. My other half use
to always ask "Does this go in a wash bag?" and I'd say "If in doubt
bag it!"... I've spun many loads of washing only to discover that h
has placed every single item in washbags. Better safe than sorry
suppose..

Cheers
LotteBu

--
LotteBum

DaveB
June 27th 05, 12:36 AM
LotteBum wrote:
> TimC wrote:
> But hey, I managed to find laundry bags.
>
> You didn't have laundry bags?? I swear by these. My other half used
> to always ask "Does this go in a wash bag?" and I'd say "If in doubt,
> bag it!"... I've spun many loads of washing only to discover that he
> has placed every single item in washbags. Better safe than sorry I
> suppose...
>
> Cheers,
> LotteBum

Don't worry Tim, it's a girl thing. My nix get washed in a "bras and
things" bag (no not my bag).

DaveB

rooman
June 27th 05, 12:52 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:44:05 GMT, "Parbs" > wrote:
>
> >"TimC" wrote in message ...
> >>
> >> So I went searching in the local stupormarket, and did not find this
> >> misterious substance. By what name does it go under. And it can be
> >> found next to what kinds of detergent on the aisle? The shelf
> stacker
> >> was of not much help.
> >>
> >Canesten Hygiene Laundry Rinse - white 1L bottle with yellow or blue
> lid
>
> Is that one of the "let's breed a newsuperbacteria because we're using
> too many antibiotics, and sell it based on human paranoia" products?
heh heh ....I thought the yanks had a monopoly on breeding
superbactieria....(but they are experts at exporting human paranoia and
associated products!!!)

the effective answer........it's in short supply at this time of year
but one sure fire agent on anything you want to sanitise after "normal"
washing is the SUN..... just open the knicks and air the pad for a
while...not too long...put the jersey's out there too and the socks,
just not too long if you are worried about colour fade....

--
rooman

Tamyka Bell
June 27th 05, 01:20 AM
rooman wrote:

> Carl Brewer Wrote:

> > stacker
> > >>
> > >Canesten Hygiene Laundry Rinse - white 1L bottle with yellow or blue
> > lid
> >
> > Is that one of the "let's breed a newsuperbacteria because we're using
> > too many antibiotics, and sell it based on human paranoia" products?
> heh heh ....I thought the yanks had a monopoly on breeding
> superbactieria....(but they are experts at exporting human paranoia and
> associated products!!!)
>
> the effective answer........it's in short supply at this time of year
> but one sure fire agent on anything you want to sanitise after "normal"
> washing is the SUN..... just open the knicks and air the pad for a
> while...not too long...put the jersey's out there too and the socks,
> just not too long if you are worried about colour fade....
>
> --
> rooman

Damn, I'm sure I said that last week, about the sun.

BTW Carl, you were joking about the antibiotics thing, right?

Tam

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 01:38 AM
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:20:47 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
wrote:

>BTW Carl, you were joking about the antibiotics thing, right?

I don't know what sort of antibiotic thing is in the CHLR above,
which is why I asked, rather than asserted. It's no joke
that we're breeding superbugs.

Tamyka Bell
June 27th 05, 01:47 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:20:47 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
> wrote:
>
> >BTW Carl, you were joking about the antibiotics thing, right?
>
> I don't know what sort of antibiotic thing is in the CHLR above,
> which is why I asked, rather than asserted. It's no joke
> that we're breeding superbugs.

Yeah, but they're generally not antibiotics in the wash liquids, but
rather antibacterial agents, such as bleaches, alcohols or acids.
Antibiotics breed superbugs because bacteria that live quite well in
your body compete with each other, and if you kill some of them, the
other ones thrive.

In-wash liquids (and sunlight) generally work by making the environment
unsuitable for the bacteria to grow, rather than by directly attacking
particular bacteria and then leaving a wonderful environment for the
next evil beast.

I remember seeing a video in early high school, on bacteria and why you
should wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet. They showed
before and after shots of toilet door handle bacteria, with the options
of washing with water only, soap and water, and propanol (rubbing
alcohol, like isocol, also in aftershaves etc). Predictably the water
did pretty much nothing. The soap, also pretty much nothing. The alcohol
was brilliant. I'm not sure if they wanted us to draw our own
conclusions, but I took to dipping my saxophone reeds in whiskey. Mmmmm.

I was well ahead of my times in protesting the use of antibiotics at a
very young age. Maybe 8 or so, when I was planning my future career as a
biotechnologist.

Tam *not a biotechnologist*

Terry Collins
June 27th 05, 03:43 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Predictably the water
> did pretty much nothing. The soap, also pretty much nothing. The alcohol
> was brilliant. I'm not sure if they wanted us to draw our own
> conclusions, but I took to dipping my saxophone reeds in whiskey. Mmmmm.

Hmm, the old worm in alcohol demo updated. Same result.

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 04:51 AM
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:47:31 +1000, Tamyka Bell >
wrote:

>I remember seeing a video in early high school, on bacteria and why you
>should wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet. They showed
>before and after shots of toilet door handle bacteria, with the options
>of washing with water only, soap and water, and propanol (rubbing
>alcohol, like isocol, also in aftershaves etc). Predictably the water
>did pretty much nothing. The soap, also pretty much nothing. The alcohol
>was brilliant. I'm not sure if they wanted us to draw our own
>conclusions, but I took to dipping my saxophone reeds in whiskey. Mmmmm.

heh. Did they show you what the solvent did to your skin?

Me, I trust my immune system, works pretty well ....

LotteBum
June 27th 05, 04:56 AM
>I don't know what sort of antibiotic thing is in the CHLR above
>which is why I asked, rather than asserted. It's no jok
>that we're breeding superbugs

Not on my backside, we're not :-

--
LotteBum

LotteBum
June 27th 05, 05:04 AM
On the subject of bacteria, I remember an experiment we did at uni whic
was to demonstrate the importance of surgical scrubbing. First we wer
asked to rub a thick cream into our hands, then look at our hands unde
a blue light under which the cream really showed up. We then had t
wash our hands the way we normally would and hold them under the sam
light. Didn't do much at all. Then we were asked to perform what w
thought was a surgical scrub, which takes forever, and hold our hand
under the light. We were then shown how to do a proper surgical scru
which is actually quite involved. No wonder doctors and nurses ofte
have rough hands...

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell
June 27th 05, 05:06 AM
LotteBum wrote:

> >I don't know what sort of antibiotic thing is in the CHLR above,
> >which is why I asked, rather than asserted. It's no joke
> >that we're breeding superbugs.
>
> Not on my backside, we're not :-)
>
> --
> LotteBum

Lotte, when was the last time you washed yourself? :P

LotteBum
June 27th 05, 05:15 AM
Tamyka asked

Lotte, when was the last time you washed yourself?

....Well I've got this back pain happening.....

--
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell
June 27th 05, 05:33 AM
LotteBum wrote:

> On the subject of bacteria, I remember an experiment we did at uni which
> was to demonstrate the importance of surgical scrubbing. First we were
> asked to rub a thick cream into our hands, then look at our hands under
> a blue light under which the cream really showed up. We then had to
> wash our hands the way we normally would and hold them under the same
> light. Didn't do much at all. Then we were asked to perform what we
> thought was a surgical scrub, which takes forever, and hold our hands
> under the light. We were then shown how to do a proper surgical scrub
> which is actually quite involved. No wonder doctors and nurses often
> have rough hands....
>
> LotteBum
>
> --
> LotteBum

Takes me back to first year cell biology, when we were doing one of
those pracs where you move from station to station, look at a few
things, chop some things, colour some things... etc. It was about 10
seconds after moving away from the petri dish of Agar jelly and
Staphylococcus Aureus (golden staph) that I realised I had a large cut
in my glove... and my finger.

Me: "Excuse me tutor, I appear to have cut myself."
Tutor: "Yeah, you'll be right, just rinse it and chuck on a band-aid."
Me: "Um, it was while I was playing with Staph Aureus."
Tutor (looking pale): "Um, that's not good..."

My hand got doused in lots and lots of chemicals that day.

Tam

LotteBum
June 27th 05, 05:49 AM
Tam wrot

It was about 10 seconds after moving away from the petri dish of Aga
jelly an
Staphylococcus Aureus (golden staph) that I realised I had a large cu
in my glove... and my finger

Ohhh sheesh! My partner's aunt was really sick with throat cancer an
had been cut from ear to ear twice by the time she caught Golden Staph
Not.... nice...

What does it actually do anyway

--
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell
June 27th 05, 06:01 AM
LotteBum wrote:

> Tam wrote
>
> It was about 10 seconds after moving away from the petri dish of Agar
> jelly and
> Staphylococcus Aureus (golden staph) that I realised I had a large cut
> in my glove... and my finger.
>
> Ohhh sheesh! My partner's aunt was really sick with throat cancer and
> had been cut from ear to ear twice by the time she caught Golden Staph.
> Not.... nice...
>
> What does it actually do anyway?
>
> --
> LotteBum

Eats your flesh away, and smells really bad in the process.

Tam

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home