PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed the cycling gods

sim72
June 23rd 05, 02:48 AM
Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.
1. Road bike, Kew boulevard last Wednesday (drizzly) morning. Hear th
dreaded fft fft fft up near the top of Studley Park Road. Pump at home
Doh. Result: 15 min cold wait for friendly passing cyclist (thank
mate).
That was the morning they laid that green glassy stuff for the ne
Chandler Hwy bike lane. (mental note: Invoice Vicroads for new tube)
2. Road bike, 7am Saturday morning. Come down ready for ride with mate
find flat. As I'm cursing the fact i'm going to be late to rendezvous
he rings. "got a flat".
3. Old beater road bike. Made it to work yesterday, was gettin
changed, when almight BANG rents the air, nearly causing me to need
fresh pair of jocks. As I opened my eyes, half expecting to see th
building in rubble, notice my front tyre is hanging off the rim
shredded tube also hanging out. weird. overinflation?
4. Fixie. go to jump on bike for morning commute to find back tyr
flat.

Some weird gremlin sh#t going on or what...

At least i've got a stable of steeds to choose from when one is sic
(and they laugh when i tell em i've got five bikes). Seriousl
considering buying a 12-pack of tubes, though.

Simo

--
sim72

SteveA
June 23rd 05, 03:26 AM
sim72 Wrote:
> Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday
> 1. Road bike, Kew boulevard last Wednesday (drizzly) morning. Hear th
> dreaded fft fft fft up near the top of Studley Park Road. Pump at home
> Doh. Result: 15 min cold wait for friendly passing cyclist (thank
> mate)
> That was the morning they laid that green glassy stuff for the ne
> Chandler Hwy bike lane. (mental note: Invoice Vicroads for new tube
> 2. Road bike, 7am Saturday morning. Come down ready for ride with mate
> find flat. As I'm cursing the fact i'm going to be late to rendezvous
> he rings. "got a flat"
> 3. Old beater road bike. Made it to work yesterday, was gettin
> changed, when almight BANG rents the air, nearly causing me to need
> fresh pair of jocks. As I opened my eyes, half expecting to see th
> building in rubble, notice my front tyre is hanging off the rim
> shredded tube also hanging out. weird. overinflation?
> 4. Fixie. go to jump on bike for morning commute to find back tyr
> flat
>
> Some weird gremlin sh#t going on or what...
>
> At least i've got a stable of steeds to choose from when one is sic
> (and they laugh when i tell em i've got five bikes). Seriousl
> considering buying a 12-pack of tubes, though
>
> Simon
12 pack of tubes? Naaaah, you need a 12 pack of bikes. :D Go on
you only need get 7 more!

Steve

--
SteveA

Joel Mayes
June 23rd 05, 03:30 AM
On 2005-06-23, sim72 > wrote:

> Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.

I once had three flats in about fourty minutes commuting down North Rd.
from Clayton to the City.

Joel

Marx SS
June 23rd 05, 03:56 AM
Closest I've come to being diss'ed by the gods was getting a nai
through a patch on the tube I repaired the night berfore.

I still ponder why the rear flats so much more than the front eve
though the front tyre rolls over the same path just moments before th
rear tyre.... :confused

--
Marx SS

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 04:02 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:48:42 +1000, sim72
> wrote:

>Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.

Maybe ....

A couple of years ago, racing out at Yarra Junction. A mile off
the back of the bunch on a hill, slogging to the top,
the only thing to look forward to being the roll back down
the hill to finish DFL.

Flat at the top of the hill, just as it starts to rain. No
pump or spares (it's a race). 5km to the turnaround
point, where fortunatly there's a corner marshall who gives
me a lift back to the start/finish.

Only one puncture, much misery.

Carl Brewer
June 23rd 05, 04:08 AM
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:56:21 +1000, Marx SS
> wrote:

>Closest I've come to being diss'ed by the gods was getting a nail
>through a patch on the tube I repaired the night berfore.
>
>I still ponder why the rear flats so much more than the front even
>though the front tyre rolls over the same path just moments before the
>rear tyre.... :confused:

Three reasons :

Weight - there's more weight on the back tyre
Wear - the back tyre wears faster than the front, so
most of the time there's less tyre to protect the tube
Flickups - one theory suggests that glass etc gets
flicked up so it's pointing upwards by the front tyre,
then the rear goes over it, copping the point. Personally,
I reckon this's a bit of a stretch, the front & rear tyres
don't follow exactly the same path, even in a straight line.

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 04:28 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:56:21 +1000, Marx SS
> > wrote:
>

> >Closest I've come to being diss'ed by the gods was getting a nail
> >through a patch on the tube I repaired the night berfore.
> >
> >I still ponder why the rear flats so much more than the front even
> >though the front tyre rolls over the same path just moments before the
> >rear tyre.... :confused:
>
> Three reasons :
>
> Weight - there's more weight on the back tyre
> Wear - the back tyre wears faster than the front, so
> most of the time there's less tyre to protect the tube
> Flickups - one theory suggests that glass etc gets
> flicked up so it's pointing upwards by the front tyre,
> then the rear goes over it, copping the point. Personally,
> I reckon this's a bit of a stretch, the front & rear tyres
> don't follow exactly the same path, even in a straight line.

4. Time - it takes a smidgey longer to change a rear than a front. The
puncture gods (blessed be, leave me the f*%k alone) know this.

Tam *went through a spate of about 5 punctures in 2 weeks a while back,
only one of them rear, and considers this a sign of being blessed

flyingdutch
June 23rd 05, 05:08 AM

...and you've just doome dyerself to said fate in near future :

--
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell
June 23rd 05, 05:43 AM
flyingdutch wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >

> > Tam *went through a spate of about 5 punctures in 2 weeks a while
> > back,
> > only one of them rear, and considers this a sign of being blessed
>
> ..and you've just doome dyerself to said fate in near future :o
>
> --
> flyingdutch

Yes, but I put that down more to the fact that there are lots of bogans
where I ride, who find it entertaining to break their XXXX bottles where
I ride my bike. It's very rarely car-windshields I ride through...
usually beer bottles.

Tam

RobWoozle
June 23rd 05, 06:13 AM
Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:48:42 +1000, sim72
> > wrote:
>

> >Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.
>
> Maybe ....

Mont 24 hr 2003.....2am roughly..got the first flat about 6km from
home....bunged in new tube despite sub zero temperatures...five minutes
late....another flat...and no spares left....had to pump it up every
coupld of minutes until I made it back. Frozen solid...as was the next
rider who was waiting for me ;-)

Peter Signorini
June 23rd 05, 09:11 AM
"RobWoozle" wrote:

> Mont 24 hr 2003.....2am roughly..got the first flat about 6km from
> home....bunged in new tube despite sub zero temperatures...five minutes
> late....another flat...and no spares left....had to pump it up every
> coupld of minutes until I made it back. Frozen solid...as was the next
> rider who was waiting for me ;-)

At least all that vigorous pumping would have kept you nice and warm in the
cold air :-)

Cheers
Peter

Kim Hawtin
June 23rd 05, 09:47 AM
sim72 wrote:
> Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.
> 1. Road bike, Kew boulevard last Wednesday (drizzly) morning. Hear the
> dreaded fft fft fft up near the top of Studley Park Road. Pump at home.
> Doh. Result: 15 min cold wait for friendly passing cyclist (thanks
> mate).
> That was the morning they laid that green glassy stuff for the new
> Chandler Hwy bike lane. (mental note: Invoice Vicroads for new tube)
> 2. Road bike, 7am Saturday morning. Come down ready for ride with mate,
> find flat. As I'm cursing the fact i'm going to be late to rendezvous,
> he rings. "got a flat".
> 3. Old beater road bike. Made it to work yesterday, was getting
> changed, when almight BANG rents the air, nearly causing me to need a
> fresh pair of jocks. As I opened my eyes, half expecting to see the
> building in rubble, notice my front tyre is hanging off the rim,
> shredded tube also hanging out. weird. overinflation?
> 4. Fixie. go to jump on bike for morning commute to find back tyre
> flat.
>
> Some weird gremlin sh#t going on or what...
>
> At least i've got a stable of steeds to choose from when one is sick
> (and they laugh when i tell em i've got five bikes). Seriously
> considering buying a 12-pack of tubes, though.

these things come in threes.

my flat trauma lasted three weeks.

kim

Euan
June 23rd 05, 10:03 AM

sim> At least i've got a stable of steeds to choose from when one is
sim> sick (and they laugh when i tell em i've got five
sim> bikes). Seriously considering buying a 12-pack of tubes,
sim> though.

I had a period like that for a couple of weeks except I've got just the
one steed. I've got *takes-deep-breath-because-tempting-cycling-Gods*
four spare inner tubes and haven't had a puncture in 10 weeks which is a
record for me.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

The P
June 23rd 05, 12:37 PM
"sim72" > wrote in message

> Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.
> 1. Road bike, Kew boulevard last Wednesday (drizzly) morning. Hear the
> dreaded fft fft fft up near the top of Studley Park Road. Pump at home.
> Doh. Result: 15 min cold wait for friendly passing cyclist (thanks
> mate).
> That was the morning they laid that green glassy stuff for the new
> Chandler Hwy bike lane. (mental note: Invoice Vicroads for new tube)
> 2. Road bike, 7am Saturday morning. Come down ready for ride with mate,
> find flat. As I'm cursing the fact i'm going to be late to rendezvous,
> he rings. "got a flat".
> 3. Old beater road bike. Made it to work yesterday, was getting
> changed, when almight BANG rents the air, nearly causing me to need a
> fresh pair of jocks. As I opened my eyes, half expecting to see the
> building in rubble, notice my front tyre is hanging off the rim,
> shredded tube also hanging out. weird. overinflation?
> 4. Fixie. go to jump on bike for morning commute to find back tyre
> flat.
>
> Some weird gremlin sh#t going on or what...
>
> At least i've got a stable of steeds to choose from when one is sick
> (and they laugh when i tell em i've got five bikes). Seriously
> considering buying a 12-pack of tubes, though.
>
> Simon
>

> --
> sim72

Race Sat 18/06/2005 - doing 50km down a hill, leading the pack in my
race.ppppsssssshhhhhhh from my front tyre.
Commute this morning - 2km out from work and my rear wheel gets a bit
slushy. I'd run over a heap of glass (damn those cars not cleaning up affer
crashes).

The P
June 23rd 05, 12:39 PM
"dtmeister" > wrote in message
u...
> Marx SS > wrote:
>>
>> Closest I've come to being diss'ed by the gods was getting a nail
>> through a patch on the tube I repaired the night berfore.
>>
>> I still ponder why the rear flats so much more than the front even
>> though the front tyre rolls over the same path just moments before the
>> rear tyre.... :confused:
>
> As usual, Jobst has an explanation :
>
> http://yarchive.net/bike/flat_tires.html
>

> --
> .dt
> 1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)
> 2004 Trek 2300 Roadie (9spd Ultegra)
> 2003 DiamondBack 'Criterium' Roadie (8spd Sora, rain bike)

Ha! yY velocorapter front tyre has been going strong for the 5 years since
I bought my mountain bike...that's just shy of 11000k. In the meantime I've
gone through 6 rear tyres and 4 drive chains.

dave
June 24th 05, 07:00 AM
sim72 wrote:
> Can anyone top this. I've had four flats since last Wednesday.
> 1. Road bike, Kew boulevard last Wednesday (drizzly) morning. Hear the
> dreaded fft fft fft up near the top of Studley Park Road. Pump at home.
> Doh. Result: 15 min cold wait for friendly passing cyclist (thanks
> mate).
> That was the morning they laid that green glassy stuff for the new
> Chandler Hwy bike lane. (mental note: Invoice Vicroads for new tube)
> 2. Road bike, 7am Saturday morning. Come down ready for ride with mate,
> find flat. As I'm cursing the fact i'm going to be late to rendezvous,
> he rings. "got a flat".
> 3. Old beater road bike. Made it to work yesterday, was getting
> changed, when almight BANG rents the air, nearly causing me to need a
> fresh pair of jocks. As I opened my eyes, half expecting to see the
> building in rubble, notice my front tyre is hanging off the rim,
> shredded tube also hanging out. weird. overinflation?
> 4. Fixie. go to jump on bike for morning commute to find back tyre
> flat.
>
> Some weird gremlin sh#t going on or what...
>
> At least i've got a stable of steeds to choose from when one is sick
> (and they laugh when i tell em i've got five bikes). Seriously
> considering buying a 12-pack of tubes, though.
>
> Simon

the record.. 3 of us 6 flats.. I ride

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home