PDA

View Full Version : Victoria's first closed crit circuit announced

warrwych
June 24th 05, 12:07 AM
From Cyclingnews.com:

Victoria's first closed crit circuit announced

In Australia, Victoria's first closed-circuit racing and trainin
facility purpose-built for road cyclists was announced today.

A joint initiative between BASE (Bicycle Association of the South East
and Recreation Victoria/City of Casey, Premier Steve Bracks honoured hi
pledge of $500,000 towards this project with The City of Case
contributing another $250,000. The criterium circuit will be built a
part of the new Casey Fields Sports Complex near Cranbourne on th
Berwick-Cranbourne Road.

"Australian road and track cyclists are achieving enormous success o
the world stage and especially in Europe," said a statement. "It i
facilities like this new criterium circuit that will enable Australia
cyclists to remain at the forefront of world cycling. With the openin
of Casey Fields, cyclists now have a place to learn, train and race al
at the one facility. When combined with the other outstanding indoo
velodromes provided by the State government, cycling in Victoria i
truly On the Move."

While the Casey Fields circuit is being built, cyclists will continu
to use the existing circuits at Sandown Park Raceway and AFL Par
Waverly. It is said that wheelchair racing, human powered vehicles an
inline skaters all stand to benefit from the project as well

--
warrwych

flyingdutch
June 24th 05, 12:17 AM
warrwych Wrote:
> From Cyclingnews.com:
>
> Victoria's first closed crit circuit announced
>
> In Australia, Victoria's first closed-circuit racing and trainin
> facility purpose-built for road cyclists was announced today.
>
> A joint initiative between BASE (Bicycle Association of the South East
> and Recreation Victoria/City of Casey, Premier Steve Bracks honoured hi
> pledge of $500,000 towards this project with The City of Case
> contributing another $250,000. The criterium circuit will be built a
> part of the new Casey Fields Sports Complex near Cranbourne on th
> Berwick-Cranbourne Road.
>
> "Australian road and track cyclists are achieving enormous success o
> the world stage and especially in Europe," said a statement. "It i
> facilities like this new criterium circuit that will enable Australia
> cyclists to remain at the forefront of world cycling. With the openin
> of Casey Fields, cyclists now have a place to learn, train and race al
> at the one facility. When combined with the other outstanding indoo
> velodromes provided by the State government, cycling in Victoria i
> truly On the Move."
>
> While the Casey Fields circuit is being built, cyclists will continu
> to use the existing circuits at Sandown Park Raceway and AFL Par
> Waverly. It is said that wheelchair racing, human powered vehicles an
> inline skaters all stand to benefit from the project as well.

What are they gonna race there? BMX's??? <runs away>

and good to see they are up-to-date...
"cyclists will continue to use ... AFL Park Waverly"

I thought there was a dedicated crit course opened last year i
Melton?
Hitchy confirm/deny?

still, good to hear. we expect to see a purple 'dale zoomin about :

--
flyingdutch

warrwych
June 24th 05, 12:23 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> What are they gonna race there? BMX's??? <runs away>
>
> and good to see they are up-to-date...
> "cyclists will continue to use ... AFL Park Waverly"
>
> I thought there was a dedicated crit course opened last year i
> Melton?
> Hitchy confirm/deny?
>
> still, good to hear. we expect to see a purple 'dale zoomin about :D

It's another way to get us off the roads - the ones designed for car
only. ;)

Purple 'dale has been having a holiday cos it's decided it can't 1) g
fast 2) climb hills anymore. I threatened to turn it into a pin
tricycle, or put trainer wheels on it at least, but I don't think i
belived me, so I put it in the shed for a while for punishment. It'
coming out this weekend - I hope it has learnt its lesson :p Good t
hear you are back in saddle dude! Pedal pedal pedal!

--
warrwych

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 12:37 AM
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:23:08 +1000, warrwych
> wrote:

>flyingdutch Wrote:
>> What are they gonna race there? BMX's??? <runs away>
>>
>> and good to see they are up-to-date...
>> "cyclists will continue to use ... AFL Park Waverly"
>>
>> I thought there was a dedicated crit course opened last year in
>> Melton?
>> Hitchy confirm/deny?
>>
>> still, good to hear. we expect to see a purple 'dale zoomin about :D
>

>It's another way to get us off the roads - the ones designed for cars
>only. ;)

In some cases, our races are bloody dangerous (the Somers race this
saturday in particular, I think that will be Mornington CC's first
and last race there ...), and getting off the roads to do them is
not a bad thing.

After having done the Lang Lang PG and Anglesea races, and METEC
more times than I can remember, the racing there is -so- much better
that it's just no comparison. Sandown's good too, and this w'end
at PI will be interesting.

flyingdutch
June 27th 05, 12:57 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> In some cases, our races are bloody dangerous ... and METEC...

hahaha! I can blow their safety record

--
flyingdutch

PiledHigher
June 27th 05, 01:05 AM

--
PiledHigher

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 01:16 AM
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:57:11 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> In some cases, our races are bloody dangerous ... and METEC...
>>

>hahaha! I can blow their safety record.

Yuo had a little crash, the somers road race was lucky to get
away without fatalities, IMO

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 01:35 AM
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:05:52 +1000, PiledHigher
> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> In some cases, our races are bloody dangerous (the Somers race this
>> saturday in particular, I think that will be Mornington CC's first
>> and last race there ...), and getting off the roads to do them is
>> not a bad thing.
>> QUOTE]
>>
>> Tell me about it, I was involved in the C grade crash, the guy nbext
>> too me grabbed too much brakes and started to lift the back wheel. At
>> that point he also flicked toward me, I ended up in the gravel shoulder
>> but couldn't control it as I slid into the drainage ditch. Ended up with
>> a very soft landing on the raised far side of the ditch in the pine
>> needles.
>>
>> I got up checked my bike (fine, fortunately).
>>
>> Unfortunately the guys behind were not so lucky hitting the road hard,
>> although not as bad as in the D grade race.
>>
>> I suspect that the finish was particularly bad as it was flat, lots of
>> people still thought they had a chance to do something and three guys
>> were blocking for there mate who had jumped just off the front.

B grade spent the vast majority of the race on the wrong side
of the road. Every time I'd work up towards the front (legally)
20 of them would sweep past on the wrong side, see a car coming
and cram back into the left, forcing us all to brake to
let them back in again.

Two possible fixes -
Have a commisarie survey
the course and limit entries based on the course -
I'd have thought a bunch of 25 would have been the maxium
safe number on that course.

Have a commisair follow the bunches - first time someone
deliberatly crosses the line, toot the horn - that's the warning.

Second time, overtake the bunch, slow down, stop the race,
take everyone's numbers off them and tell them the race
is over and they forfeit their entry fees.

80% of B grade were paying no attention to the rule,
that's the only way that I can see that culture shifting.

PiledHigher
June 27th 05, 02:27 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> B grade spent the vast majority of the race on the wrong side
> of the road. Every time I'd work up towards the front (legally)
> 20 of them would sweep past on the wrong side, see a car coming
> and cram back into the left, forcing us all to brake to
> let them back in again.
>
> Two possible fixes -
> Have a commisarie survey
> the course and limit entries based on the course -
> I'd have thought a bunch of 25 would have been the maxium
> safe number on that course.
>
> Have a commisair follow the bunches - first time someone
> deliberatly crosses the line, toot the horn - that's the warning.
>
> Second time, overtake the bunch, slow down, stop the race,
> take everyone's numbers off them and tell them the race
> is over and they forfeit their entry fees.
>
> 80% of B grade were paying no attention to the rule,
> that's the only way that I can see that culture shifting.

C-grade were reasonable with the centreline until the last 1/2 a lap,
thought C were sketchy just because the race wasn't selective enough

--
PiledHigher

flyingdutch
June 27th 05, 04:46 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> Yuo had a little crash, the somers road race was lucky to get
> away without fatalities, IMO

WTF? I'll take that as a challenge!!!

i reckon I was lucky to get away without a fatality seeing as i lost
few seconds AND my helmet fell into about 6 pieces as soon as i trie
to pick it up. Maybe TimC and me could go manno-e-manno and have
'crash-off'
then again, on second thawts..

--
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 05:18 AM
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:07:07 +1000, warrwych
> wrote:

>From Cyclingnews.com:
>
>Victoria's first closed crit circuit announced

I thought there was one of these out at Melton too?

Hitchy
June 27th 05, 11:28 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> I thought there was a dedicated crit course opened last year in Melton?
> Hitchy confirm/deny?

g'day,

yep.....as is often the case with Govt press releases...this one i
wrong. Victoria's 1st dedicated crit circuit was opened in Jan thi
year at MacPherson Park Melton. It's an 800m track with a 'hotmix
surface....very quick with a couple of 'technical' corners...still
the more the merrier!

Hitch

--
Hitchy