PDA

View Full Version : Oops, whats the most expensive mistake you've made?

DaveB
June 24th 05, 09:43 AM
Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have a
write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked her most
expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bikes on
the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I can
imagine that would be pretty expensive.

DaveB

aeek
June 24th 05, 10:40 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have a
> write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked he
> most
> expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bikes on
> the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I can
> imagine that would be pretty expensive.
>
> DaveB

I heard of one that was minor damage to the bike, major damage to th
car & carport

--
aeek

Michael Warner
June 24th 05, 12:07 PM
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:43:21 +1000, DaveB wrote:

> Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have a
> write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked her most
> expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bikes on
> the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I can
> imagine that would be pretty expensive.

A friend of a friend did that under a tree recently, although I doubt the
bikes were quite as valuable. IMHO it's a daft way to carry bikes.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

ritcho
June 24th 05, 01:33 PM
Michael Warner Wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:43:21 +1000, DaveB wrote:
>
> > Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have a
> > write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked he
> most
> > expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bike
> on
> > the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I can
> > imagine that would be pretty expensive.
>
> A friend of a friend did that under a tree recently, although I doub
> the
> bikes were quite as valuable. IMHO it's a daft way to carry bikes.
>
> --
> bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

I agree - I'm putting the baby seat on the roof rack and the bik
inside the car tomorrow!

Ritc

--
ritcho

rooman
June 24th 05, 01:57 PM
no contest, I thought it was the first time I got married, but I wa
wrong, it was the 2nd time ....

--
rooman

till!
June 24th 05, 02:17 PM
Campagnolo ergobrain

*mutter

til

--
till!

aeek
June 24th 05, 03:53 PM
till! Wrote:
> Campagnolo ergobrain!

Why so? What's wrong with it

--
aeek

rooman
June 25th 05, 12:47 AM
aeek Wrote:
> Why so? What's wrong with it?hmmm, although it is wired , and delivers a comprehensive range o
output and functions (other than HR) it delivers REAL readings, no
guestimates like some and it is a svelte & beautiful looking piece o
equipment ( like all Campy)...so yeah, Why so

--
rooman

acalcium
June 25th 05, 01:04 AM
Michael Warner wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:43:21 +1000, DaveB wrote:
>

>>Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have a
>>write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked her most
>>expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bikes on
>>the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I can
>>imagine that would be pretty expensive.
>

> A friend of a friend did that under a tree recently, although I doubt the
> bikes were quite as valuable. IMHO it's a daft way to carry bikes.

From memory, that's the only way u're allowed carry bikes on your car
in Germany on the autobahns...

till!
June 25th 05, 01:37 AM
aeek Wrote:
> Why so? What's wrong with it?
It can work out my speed, and cadence fine, but where it is suppose
to work out what gear combo im in? It doesnt really work very well, o
at all

til

--
till!

aeek
June 25th 05, 07:34 AM
till! Wrote:
> It can work out my speed, and cadence fine, but where it is supposed t
> work out what gear combo im in? It doesnt really work very well, or a
> all.
>
> till

from a quick googling it seems that the manual could be better
http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/ergobrain_test.html
hopefully you still have all the bits

--
aeek

aeek
June 25th 05, 07:35 AM
acalcium Wrote:
> Michael Warner wrote:[color=green]
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:43:21 +1000, DaveB wrote:
>
> From memory, that's the only way u're allowed carry bikes on your car
> in Germany on the autobahns...

What, you can't toss them in the back of your hatch

--
aeek

rooman
June 25th 05, 08:39 AM
aeek Wrote:
> from a quick googling it seems that the manual could be bette
> http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/ergobrain_test.html
> hopefully you still have all the bits.
its all in the set up, do the configure to tell you which chain rin
and which cassette gear you are in, ( some people just look down) an
it remembers, and configures for 9 or 10 speed, and double or tripl
chainring...

like all manuals that start out in another language, maybe some ge
lost in translation, but at least Campy's is not as iffy as some fro
Asia, where the english translation is worse than the chines
original...

my only beef with the ergo brain is that the wiring harness can b
stressed and if broken at the contact points near the mount means a ne
unit ( yep my LBS did this to mine and well, they bought me a newy didn
they!)...so whilst it's not wireless (yet!) it is still a bloody goo
little smart box

--
rooman

rooman
June 25th 05, 08:57 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have
> write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked he
> mos
> expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bikes o
> the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I ca
> imagine that would be pretty expensive
>
> DaveB
I saw this last week....a mature rider who had always rode a custom an
never had any problems, could climb well, downhill superbly, and manage
200 + klms a week, ( for over 60's) and does a Sat Morning hit out o
80klms at very high bunch pace.....OK, that's him...well he has a fe
spare bucks and decides he needs reward...so one day driving past thi
swanky looking LBS he spies a black jewel-like conversation piece i
the window...does a double take and heads straight in the door

The sales guy says, "This is the answer to all your prayers" th
lightest, most stunning best performing bike on the market" ....wooho
it was the*- Ridley Excalibur" -

OK top end groupset with Carbon record, superb wheels, great tyres
light frame....ahhhemmmm, then what is the problem?, and why a
expensive mistake ?

well, falling in love with this bike's look, he bought it there an
then, unridden and expected to now be the leader of the pack not onl
on looks, but in performance....

well, first ride, he climbs on, and heads out into the traffic...hmmm
it didnt feel right, ....a but light, yeah thats to be expected, ok bu
now everything is working right,mmmmmm but it still doesnt fee
right......ok here's a hill, accelleration should be easy, whooooaaaaa
he said he almost tipped over backwards...hmmmm ok well made it to th
top, now lets ease down hill...... shhhhiiiiiiiiiitttttte!!!!!!!, thi
thing is soooooooo wobbly, what's wrong?, its unstable, doesnt have th
high end speed performance he was used to from an Alloy custom and wel
was just an ill fitting unacceptable ride!..

and the Swanky LBS's sales guy said "its all about weight mate", thi
is the best bike ever, worth every cent of the $MEGA's I will take of
you, so payup and go have fun.....but it wasnt it IS ALL ABOUT MATCHIN
GEOMETRY TO PHYSIOLOGY, tube lengths and angles, especially for him th
seat post angle and head tube angle.....

Bottom line, after he tried to ride it for two weeks and found tha
even when his old bike builder tried to adjust his position after a fe
sheepish admissions of buying the bike without checking...it wasn
possible to get the new Ridley to a positional fit that would let hi
ride it for any benefit, not just performance...the pain in the bac
and knees, the lack of stability and the tippyness over the back, al
mean

THIS WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE MISTAKE HE EVER MADE!

This is a true story!, no bulldust, and he is now riding his old custo
again, the new Ridley is in the shed, and will probably stay there

--
rooman

flyingdutch
June 25th 05, 02:39 PM
rooman Wrote:

> snippage...

bwahahahahahah

is that Cadel's excuse for colarbone No.4???
(poor bugger)

F"Collarbone? Pussy! Do the entire ACJOINT 3rd grade and get back t
me..."Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Dominic Sansom
June 26th 05, 11:07 PM
Left a brand new pair of bike shoes in the roof of the car and drov
off. Never saw them again..

--
Dominic Sanso

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 12:25 AM
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:57:42 +1000, rooman
> wrote:

>This is a true story!, no bulldust, and he is now riding his old custom
>again, the new Ridley is in the shed, and will probably stay there.

Rooman, you have to stop ghostwriting for JK :)

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 12:29 AM
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:43:21 +1000, DaveB
> wrote:

>Just been reading Triatlon and Multisport magazine where they have a
>write up on an up and coming triathlete. Erin Densham was asked her most
>expensive thing she's ever broken. Her reply was "Two racing bikes on
>the roof of my car, driving into undercover parking". Yikes I can
>imagine that would be pretty expensive.

While it *only* cost me around $1200, this was a bad one, and could
have been a lot worse -
Was riding back from a hard session at the Hawthorn velodrone,
mostly on autopilot, following the wheel of a mate, when we
overtook a couple, on the yarra river trail - I didn't look as we
did it, and smaked headfirst into a bloke coming the other way on
a new Giant comething (alloy, 105). Crash is my fault,
I pay for all his busted bits - new shifters, new seat, new knicks ...
and a new helmet for me (they work!)

Bike on the roof is no worries at all, but a bike on a strapon (!)
rack with a car with plastic bumpers (everything these days ....)
is quite a worry.

Marty
June 27th 05, 12:31 AM
Dominic Sansom wrote:
> Left a brand new pair of bike shoes in the roof of the car and drove
> off. Never saw them again...

I left an expensive helmet on the ground once, never saw that again either.

Marty

Peter Signorini
June 27th 05, 02:51 AM
"Carl Brewer" > wrote in message

> Bike on the roof is no worries at all,

as long as you lie it on its side!

I did a good job on our tandem with a *solid* specially made roof rack.
Driving home from a weekend away at Daylesford, with the rack creaking a
little on the roof bars around corners, just to remind me it was there. Even
turning into our street I was reminded 'roof rack'. But we pull into the
driveway and the cat is there to welcome us. He sits in front of the car and
meeows. I ask Margaret to get out and shoo him away. She picks him up, then
I drive the car in, straight under the carpor.. CRAAASH! tinkle, tinkle!

Tandem on the roof is pretzled. Rear window of the hatch is smashed (by the
strong steel rack). Kids are screaming, but OK of course.

Lots of shopping about for a new frame ensued, but we finally wrote off the
old tandem and got a good price on a 'new' second hand one for $1800. Panel
beating, new hatch and rear window came to $2300. At least the car insurance
covered this, but they only gave us $200 for damage to sporting equipment.

So now I carry the tandem, and sometimes other bikes, on the roof, but I
turn the bars sideways, take pedals off one side , and strap it down on its
side. Much better for the nerves.

Cheers
Peter

LotteBum
June 27th 05, 05:23 AM
Rooman wrote

no contest, I thought it was the first time I got married, but I wa
wrong, it was the 2nd time ....

Is it true that it gets better each time? It would frigging well wan
to if you were to drag me down the isle once, let alone twice

--
LotteBum

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home