PDA

View Full Version : Look's New 481SL and what Geometry really is about

rooman
June 24th 05, 01:38 PM
mmmmmmmm!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/reviews/look_481s

:

--
rooman

BrettM
June 24th 05, 02:36 PM
rooman > wrote in
:

> mmmmmmmm!
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/reviews/look_481sl
>
>:)

Where does he get off only giving it 4.5 stars. Looks (ha ha) almost
perfect to me.

Can I get away with putting Sora gear on it though? Might be the only
way I can afford (get away) with a frame that dear.

Cheers

BrettM

aeek
June 24th 05, 03:47 PM
BrettM Wrote:

> Where does he get off only giving it 4.5 stars. Looks (ha ha) almost
> perfect to me.

five stars is a UCI legal bike that hurls itself up the steepest hill

--
aeek

John Stevenson
June 26th 05, 01:53 PM
aeek wrote:
> BrettM Wrote:
>
>>Where does he get off only giving it 4.5 stars. Looks (ha ha) almost
>>perfect to me.
>>

> five stars is a UCI legal bike that hurls itself up the steepest hill.

Exactly! It loses half a jersey being a spendy carbon fiber frame that
weighs 1400g, when most frames in the price bracket weigh rather less.

We have to find something to criticise :)

aeek
June 26th 05, 02:09 PM
John Stevenson Wrote:

> Exactly! It loses half a jersey being a spendy carbon fiber frame that
> weighs 1400g, when most frames in the price bracket weigh rather less.

for a UCI legal bike thats more weight you can take out of your wheel
and cranks - not exactly a bad thing

--
aeek

pase
June 27th 05, 01:04 AM
the look 585 is their ultra lightweigh
under 1kg i believe

i will have to cut back on the bondi burgers before i can trust bein
on a bike that ligh

--
pase

Carl Brewer
June 27th 05, 06:57 AM
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:38:35 +1000, rooman
> wrote:

>mmmmmmmm!
>
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/reviews/look_481sl

Interesting that the reviewer says :

>And here the company stands alone as being the only manufacturer
>o offer a thoroughbred racing frame with a 72.5 degree seat angle.

And yet the Trek Madone (62cm) has a seat angle of 72.5, which
was just the first one that I went looking for. I'm sure there's
more. A certain 6 times TdF winner fangs around on that
standard geometry, so it's got to be a "thoroughbred racing frame"

Homework, not done, media release slavishly copied? Journos
being lazy? ... never ...

Yuri Budilov
June 30th 05, 01:29 PM
"Carl Brewer" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:38:35 +1000, rooman
> > wrote:
>

>>mmmmmmmm!
>>
>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/reviews/look_481sl
>
> Interesting that the reviewer says :
>
>>And here the company stands alone as being the only manufacturer
>>o offer a thoroughbred racing frame with a 72.5 degree seat angle.
>
> And yet the Trek Madone (62cm) has a seat angle of 72.5, which
> was just the first one that I went looking for. I'm sure there's
> more. A certain 6 times TdF winner fangs around on that
> standard geometry, so it's got to be a "thoroughbred racing frame"
>
> Homework, not done, media release slavishly copied? Journos
> being lazy? ... never ...

so, does anyone here own one of these? How much is the bike and how much is
the Look-badge value? In other words: is buying Look a bit like buying a BMW
(no offence) - more about style and wanna-be status than substance or is it
value for money?

For example - I have a choice right now - to buy 2005 Specialized Tarmac Pro
carbon or buy a Look 461 all built-up for about same price and similar
components. Which would offer more of the bike? Can they be compared?

rooman
June 30th 05, 02:09 PM
Yuri Budilov Wrote:
> "Carl Brewer" > wrote in messag
> ..
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:38:35 +1000, rooma
> > > wrote
>

> >>mmmmmmmm
> >
> >>http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/reviews/look_481s
>
> > Interesting that the reviewer says
>
> >>And here the company stands alone as being the only manufacture
> >>o offer a thoroughbred racing frame with a 72.5 degree seat angle
>
> > And yet the Trek Madone (62cm) has a seat angle of 72.5, whic
> > was just the first one that I went looking for. I'm sure there'
> > more. A certain 6 times TdF winner fangs around on tha
> > standard geometry, so it's got to be a "thoroughbred racing frame
>
> > Homework, not done, media release slavishly copied? Journo
> > being lazy? ... never ..
>

> so, does anyone here own one of these? How much is the bike and ho
> much i
> the Look-badge value? In other words: is buying Look a bit like buyin
> a BM
> (no offence) - more about style and wanna-be status than substance o
> is i
> value for money
>
> For example - I have a choice right now - to buy 2005 Specialize
> Tarmac Pr
> carbon or buy a Look 461 all built-up for about same price and simila
> components. Which would offer more of the bike? Can they be compared?
I guess the ideal is to get them to make the one you choose to you
specs...thats the doozy!, this comes close to my specs, but I reall
prefer a seat post angle of 71 degrees and head tube angle of 72.5. S
if my budget allowed it, I'd get a Look and go my specs...but as i
doesn't then I'll stick to my new alloy custom made exactly to m
fit/specs and ride on...these new babies sure look good but there i
always the likelihood of making a very expensive mistake in buying th
peleton talk topic and gloating like a proud new dad, when there is
risk the bloody thing may ride under you like a wobbly mule!....

so I may drool, but I am in no hurry to go buy one , just ride what
have, save a heap and spend the difference on great coffee, good brew
and family ( not necessarily in that order, but .......!

cheer

--
rooman

Google