PDA

View Full Version : Metal strips on the road

DaveB
June 30th 05, 08:37 AM
Luckily I haven't managed to do any damage hitting these yet, but can
anyone who rides along bridge Rd, Victoria St, or Swan St tell me what
those metal strips I see along the road are. They're a bit shorter than
a spoke, flat and a couple of mm across. I used to notice them a lot on
Bridge rd but now realise I see them all over Richmond, and of course
they accumulate in the bike lane or along the side of the road.

DaveB "tempting the puncture gods"

cfsmtb
June 30th 05, 10:20 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> Luckily I haven't managed to do any damage hitting these yet, but ca
> anyone who rides along bridge Rd, Victoria St, or Swan St tell me wha
> those metal strips I see along the road are. They're a bit shorter tha
> a spoke, flat and a couple of mm across. I used to notice them a lot on
> Bridge rd but now realise I see them all over Richmond, and of course
> they accumulate in the bike lane or along the side of the road.
>
> DaveB "tempting the puncture gods"

Are they embedded in the road near intersections ie: traffic sensors
If they're loose objects, please contact Yarra Council: info@yarracity
vic.gov.au and inform them of potential incidents/location etc.

Or you can email me at cfsmtb[AT]gmail[DOT]com so I can follow it u
via YarraBUG.

Roads & Footpaths - Report problems:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/environment/roads/potholes.asp
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/environment/roads/potholeform.ht

--
cfsmtb

DaveB
June 30th 05, 12:33 PM
cfsmtb wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
>
>>Luckily I haven't managed to do any damage hitting these yet, but can
>>anyone who rides along bridge Rd, Victoria St, or Swan St tell me what
>>those metal strips I see along the road are. They're a bit shorter than
>>a spoke, flat and a couple of mm across. I used to notice them a lot on
>>Bridge rd but now realise I see them all over Richmond, and of course
>>they accumulate in the bike lane or along the side of the road.
>>
>>DaveB "tempting the puncture gods"
>

> Are they embedded in the road near intersections ie: traffic sensors?
> If they're loose objects, please contact Yarra Council: info@yarracity.
> vic.gov.au and inform them of potential incidents/location etc.
>
> Or you can email me at cfsmtb[AT]gmail[DOT]com so I can follow it up
> via YarraBUG.
>
> Roads & Footpaths - Report problems:
> http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/environment/roads/potholes.asp
> http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/environment/roads/potholeform.htm

Loose objects. The first time I noticed them I thought it was the
bermuda Triangle of spokes but the realised they weren't spokes at all.
And it's probably not something the council would bother with because I
might only notice one every 30 metres or so.

DaveB

Resound
July 1st 05, 12:19 AM
"DaveB" > wrote in message
u...
> cfsmtb wrote:
>> DaveB Wrote:
>>>Luckily I haven't managed to do any damage hitting these yet, but can
>>>anyone who rides along bridge Rd, Victoria St, or Swan St tell me what
>>>those metal strips I see along the road are. They're a bit shorter than
>>>a spoke, flat and a couple of mm across. I used to notice them a lot on
>>>Bridge rd but now realise I see them all over Richmond, and of course
>>>they accumulate in the bike lane or along the side of the road.
>>>
>>>DaveB "tempting the puncture gods"
>>

>> Are they embedded in the road near intersections ie: traffic sensors?
>> If they're loose objects, please contact Yarra Council: info@yarracity.
>> vic.gov.au and inform them of potential incidents/location etc. Or you
>> can email me at cfsmtb[AT]gmail[DOT]com so I can follow it up
>> via YarraBUG.
>>
>> Roads & Footpaths - Report problems:
>> http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/environment/roads/potholes.asp
>> http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/environment/roads/potholeform.htm
>>

> Loose objects. The first time I noticed them I thought it was the bermuda
> Triangle of spokes but the realised they weren't spokes at all. And it's
> probably not something the council would bother with because I might only
> notice one every 30 metres or so.
>
> DaveB

Yeah, I see those everywhere. I live in Footscray and along Dynon Rd/Barkly
Rd they're all over the place. Too short to be spokes or spines from cars'
wiper blades (and too plentiful).

casurina99
July 1st 05, 12:32 AM
These sound distinctly like the brushes from a street sweeper - the com
off then the brush pushes against the gutter. As a kid my friends and
used to collect them for making lock picks. If you file the end off o
a rock (or the gutter) to make a point and then bend the other end t
make a handle you could open most padlocks. We used to have quite
string of padlocks.

casurina99

DaveB
July 1st 05, 12:54 AM
Resound wrote:

>>Loose objects. The first time I noticed them I thought it was the bermuda
>>Triangle of spokes but the realised they weren't spokes at all. And it's
>>probably not something the council would bother with because I might only
>>notice one every 30 metres or so.
>>
>>DaveB
>

> Yeah, I see those everywhere. I live in Footscray and along Dynon Rd/Barkly
> Rd they're all over the place. Too short to be spokes or spines from cars'
> wiper blades (and too plentiful).

Given I only see them on main roads I assume they come from trucks. Any
truckie/cyclists out there?

DaveB

DaveB
July 1st 05, 01:01 AM
casurina99 wrote:
> These sound distinctly like the brushes from a street sweeper - the come
> off then the brush pushes against the gutter. As a kid my friends and I
> used to collect them for making lock picks. If you file the end off on
> a rock (or the gutter) to make a point and then bend the other end to
> make a handle you could open most padlocks. We used to have quite a
> string of padlocks..
>
> Tom

BINGO! I think you've got it, because one day I took one home for a
closer look and realised, wiht a bit of filing, it was ideal for lock
picking.

DaveB

flyingdutch
July 1st 05, 01:20 AM
DaveB Wrote:

> BINGO! I think you've got it, because one day I took one home for a
> closer look and realised, wiht a bit of filing, it was ideal for lock
> picking.
>
> DaveB

always thawt you were dodgy! just assumed it was cos you do r____n
:rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

Theo Bekkers
July 1st 05, 02:50 AM
casurina99 wrote:
> These sound distinctly like the brushes from a street sweeper - the
> come off then the brush pushes against the gutter.

Not much point in asking the Council to sweep them up then. :-)

Theo

DaveB
July 1st 05, 03:01 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
>
>>BINGO! I think you've got it, because one day I took one home for a
>>closer look and realised, wiht a bit of filing, it was ideal for lock
>>picking.
>>
>>DaveB
>

> always thawt you were dodgy! just assumed it was cos you do r____n
> :rolleyes:

Dodgy yes, good at lockpicking? Alas no. Only been mucking around with
it recently with the aid of a decent book and some home made tools. Have
had very minimal success and was quite embarassed when I bought two of
the same locks and my five year old had one picked before me. Sigh

DaveB

PiledHigher
July 1st 05, 03:28 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> flyingdutch wrote:
> > DaveB Wrote:
> >
> >>BINGO! I think you've got it, because one day I took one home for a
> >>closer look and realised, wiht a bit of filing, it was ideal fo
> lock
> >>picking.
> >>
> >>DaveB
> >

> > always thawt you were dodgy! just assumed it was cos you do r____n
> > :rolleyes:
> >

> Dodgy yes, good at lockpicking? Alas no. Only been mucking around with
> it recently with the aid of a decent book and some home made tools
> Have
> had very minimal success and was quite embarassed when I bought two of
> the same locks and my five year old had one picked before me. Sigh
>
> DaveB

Should we be calling you Fagan

--
PiledHigher