PDA

View Full Version : joining a sydney cycling club?

spook
June 30th 05, 11:33 AM
i've decided that i'm keen to try racing, and am thinking about
auburn-lidcome cc in sydney mostly because it seems they do longer races
which are on the road as opposed to shorter cycling track criteriums
(and are within a reasonable distance of where i live in panania)

anyone on the list a member of a club in the sw of sydney and have any
tips about joining a club?

i'm also a bit confused about what grade i should race in after joining
a club if i race d grade and do well is that bad form? as an indicator
if i'm riding solo on fast flat and doing 40km in around 1:05 and 70km
in around 2 flat is that about normal D grade ride?

any advice would be most welcome.

brett

ritcho
June 30th 05, 10:27 PM
spook Wrote:
> i've decided that i'm keen to try racing, and am thinking about
> auburn-lidcome cc in sydney mostly because it seems they do longe
> races
> which are on the road as opposed to shorter cycling track criteriums
> (and are within a reasonable distance of where i live in panania)
>
> anyone on the list a member of a club in the sw of sydney and have any
> tips about joining a club?
>
> i'm also a bit confused about what grade i should race in afte
> joining
> a club if i race d grade and do well is that bad form? as an indicator
> if i'm riding solo on fast flat and doing 40km in around 1:05 and 70km
> in around 2 flat is that about normal D grade ride?
>
> any advice would be most welcome.
>
> brett

Try Marconi or Parramatta CC - they do club racing and combine wit
Penrith regularly. The road courses in winter vary between 3km and 7k
per lap.

If you're riding 70km in 2hours solo, then I'd suggest at leas
C-grade, possibly even B-grade though it seems to be the variation i
speed that is the difference between those grades.

There is a link to clubs at www.nsw.cycling.org.au

Ritc

--
ritcho

spook
July 1st 05, 12:06 AM
ritcho wrote:

> Try Marconi or Parramatta CC - they do club racing and combine with
> Penrith regularly. The road courses in winter vary between 3km and 7km
> per lap.
>
> If you're riding 70km in 2hours solo, then I'd suggest at least
> C-grade, possibly even B-grade though it seems to be the variation in
> speed that is the difference between those grades.
>
> There is a link to clubs at www.nsw.cycling.org.au

Thanks Ritch. I've checked most of the clubs out that have an online
presence. I guess I'll just try turing up to a few events and watching.
It might also give me some idea of where to start in turns of grade.

Brett

Beanzy
July 1st 05, 01:39 PM
"spook" > wrote in message
u...
> i've decided that i'm keen to try racing, and am thinking about
> auburn-lidcome cc in sydney mostly because it seems they do longer races
> which are on the road as opposed to shorter cycling track criteriums (and
> are within a reasonable distance of where i live in panania)
>
> anyone on the list a member of a club in the sw of sydney and have any
> tips about joining a club?
>
> i'm also a bit confused about what grade i should race in after joining a
> club if i race d grade and do well is that bad form? as an indicator if
> i'm riding solo on fast flat and doing 40km in around 1:05 and 70km in
> around 2 flat is that about normal D grade ride?
>
> any advice would be most welcome.
>
> brett

I live in Padstow and am a memeber of Randwick Botany. They race nearly
every Saturday arvo at Hefrron Park Maroubra. It is a criterium circuit so
it may not suit what you want to do. I find the races quite fast and
challenging (E grader). See http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/. I also
occasionaly race at Lansdowne Park Georges Hall which has a fast downhill
and then mainly uphill to a downhill sprint. This is run by Bankstown CC.
They comine with Lidcombe Auburn and Macarthur. See
http://www.bankstownsportscycling.com/.

From form you quote you would at least be a candidate for D if not C grade.
Come and give it a go. Your license allows you to ride with any club.

Matt

spook
July 2nd 05, 05:15 AM
Beanzy wrote:

> I live in Padstow and am a memeber of Randwick Botany. They race nearly
> every Saturday arvo at Hefrron Park Maroubra. It is a criterium circuit so
> it may not suit what you want to do. I find the races quite fast and
> challenging (E grader). See http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/. I also
> occasionaly race at Lansdowne Park Georges Hall which has a fast downhill
> and then mainly uphill to a downhill sprint. This is run by Bankstown CC.
> They comine with Lidcombe Auburn and Macarthur. See
> http://www.bankstownsportscycling.com/.
>
> From form you quote you would at least be a candidate for D if not C grade.
> Come and give it a go. Your license allows you to ride with any club.
>
> Matt

Thanks Matt. I've scooted around Landsdowne a few times on my own just
having a look. I think in general I'm a bit chicken on the notion of
short criteriums on tight circuits in a pack with zero experience. I
might head up there and watch the racing the next time it's on.

We should ride sometime I go through Padstow on my way out every weekend.

Regards,
Brett

Beanzy
July 2nd 05, 09:41 AM
"spook" > wrote in message
u...
> Beanzy wrote:
>

>> I live in Padstow and am a memeber of Randwick Botany. They race nearly
>> every Saturday arvo at Hefrron Park Maroubra. It is a criterium circuit
>> so it may not suit what you want to do. I find the races quite fast and
>> challenging (E grader). See http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/. I also
>> occasionaly race at Lansdowne Park Georges Hall which has a fast downhill
>> and then mainly uphill to a downhill sprint. This is run by Bankstown CC.
>> They comine with Lidcombe Auburn and Macarthur. See
>> http://www.bankstownsportscycling.com/.
>>
>> From form you quote you would at least be a candidate for D if not C
>> grade. Come and give it a go. Your license allows you to ride with any
>> club.
>>
>> Matt
>
> Thanks Matt. I've scooted around Landsdowne a few times on my own just
> having a look. I think in general I'm a bit chicken on the notion of short
> criteriums on tight circuits in a pack with zero experience. I might head
> up there and watch the racing the next time it's on.
>
> We should ride sometime I go through Padstow on my way out every weekend.
>
> Regards,
> Brett

The problem is most racing is at these type of circuits as getting approval
to race on the road is very difficult. In saying that Macarthur CC race
ocassionally at Menangle (Out past Campbelltown) and Lidcombe Auburn race
out at Horsley Park on road circuits. The details are on Banstown CC website
as they race combined.

Most Sundays i ride with Randwick Botany from Centennial Park to Waterfall
and back. I normally don't make it to Waterfall but about Engadine/Heatcote
i turn around and get the bunch riding back. Normally about 75km for me.
This ride will get you experience in a bunch (sometimes 50+ riders). We
leave 6.30am from the Randwick gates at Centennial Park. Usually back at the
Park about 9 - 9.15am

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home