PDA

View Full Version : Bike accident on Fairfield Rd Brisbane

Jimbo Jones
July 4th 05, 11:54 PM
I drove past an accident on the way to my swim this morning at around 6.30.

Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross St
intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP). He looked alright but a
bit of blood was coming out of his mouth. A few roadies stopped to help him
out. There was a car a few hundred metres up the road with its hazards on
and a couple from the car were running up the road to help out. I'm not sure
if the stopped car was involved.

Did anyone see it / hear what happened?

I sure hate that section of road - I've had a few near misses there.
Motorists don't realise how narrow it is & the sides of the road is usually
covered in glass.

Let's hope he's alright.

Jimbo

adam85
July 5th 05, 01:08 AM
Jimbo Jones Wrote:
> I drove past an accident on the way to my swim this morning at aroun
> 6.30.
>
> Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross St
> intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP). He looked alrigh
> but a
> bit of blood was coming out of his mouth. A few roadies stopped to hel
> him
> out. There was a car a few hundred metres up the road with its hazard
> on
> and a couple from the car were running up the road to help out. I'm no
> sure
> if the stopped car was involved.
>
> Did anyone see it / hear what happened?
>
> I sure hate that section of road - I've had a few near misses there.
> Motorists don't realise how narrow it is & the sides of the road i
> usually
> covered in glass.
>
> Let's hope he's alright.
>
> Jimbo

Bugger, hope he's OK. FWIW I sometimes take the shortcut down Ortive s
(near the animal research centre) which is the first left after you com
off the overpass (heading inbound). Then turn right and there is a shor
bikeway. You can get through to Kadumba St and the Brisbane Corso if yo
are doing the "river loop" avoiding all but a small section of Fairfiel
Rd

--
adam85

LotteBum
July 5th 05, 03:28 AM
>Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross S
>intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP).

To be honest, I've never found that particular section of roa
particularly dangerous. Of course, not knowing what happened, I'm no
going to lay the blame on anyone, but those 'commuter types' tend t
ride like complete cocklunches.

I pass one lady every morning fully decked out with an orange vest an
saddle bags. Usually she passes me as I wait for the lights near th
Indooroopilly bridge to change. I pass her about 200 metres up th
load and I honestly feel like pushing her out in front of the firs
oncoming Prado for being such a dipsh!t.

The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, atten
all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with thei
hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at th
equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they'r
surprised when hit by a car.

The above is a GENERALISATION and is NOT aimed at all 'commuter types'
although I still think their vests are ugly

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

cfsmtb
July 5th 05, 03:41 AM
LotteBum Wrote:
> The above is a GENERALISATION and is NOT aimed at all 'commuter types'
> although I still think their vests are ugly.
> LotteBum

Hmm, yeah I can emphasise with your generalisations. As a cyclist who'
been attend a Ride That Dare Not Speak It's Name (or two) ok, CM rider
'cork' vehicles & intersections to keep the ride together. But bustin
reds whilst solo commuting in medium/heavy traffic, is tempting fat
somewhat

--
cfsmtb

Tamyka Bell
July 5th 05, 03:53 AM
adam85 wrote:

> Jimbo Jones Wrote:
> > I drove past an accident on the way to my swim this morning at around
> > 6.30.
> >
> > Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross St
> > intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP). He looked alright
> > but a
> > bit of blood was coming out of his mouth. A few roadies stopped to help
> > him
> > out. There was a car a few hundred metres up the road with its hazards
> > on
> > and a couple from the car were running up the road to help out. I'm not
> > sure
> > if the stopped car was involved.
> >
> > Did anyone see it / hear what happened?
> >
> > I sure hate that section of road - I've had a few near misses there.
> > Motorists don't realise how narrow it is & the sides of the road is
> > usually
> > covered in glass.
> >
> > Let's hope he's alright.
> >
> > Jimbo
>
> Bugger, hope he's OK. FWIW I sometimes take the shortcut down Ortive st
> (near the animal research centre) which is the first left after you come
> off the overpass (heading inbound). Then turn right and there is a short
> bikeway. You can get through to Kadumba St and the Brisbane Corso if you
> are doing the "river loop" avoiding all but a small section of Fairfield
> Rd.
>
> --
> adam85

Fairfield Rd is two lanes each way there, isn't it? It's a bloody fast
strip too, easy to keep the speed up. Never had a problem. Hope he's
okay.

(In fact my only problem on the river ride has been when I've done it in
reverse, and nearly been killed by the oncoming Park Rd bunch cutting
the corner at Diane St.)

Tam

Retrograded
July 5th 05, 04:00 AM
"LotteBum" > wrote in message

>>Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross St
>>intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP).
>
> To be honest, I've never found that particular section of road
> particularly dangerous. Of course, not knowing what happened, I'm not
> going to lay the blame on anyone, but those 'commuter types' tend to
> ride like complete cocklunches.
>
> I pass one lady every morning fully decked out with an orange vest and
> saddle bags. Usually she passes me as I wait for the lights near the
> Indooroopilly bridge to change. I pass her about 200 metres up the
> load and I honestly feel like pushing her out in front of the first
> oncoming Prado for being such a dipsh!t.
>
> The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, attend
> all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with their
> hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at the
> equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they're
> surprised when hit by a car.
>
> The above is a GENERALISATION and is NOT aimed at all 'commuter types',
> although I still think their vests are ugly.
>
> LotteBum
>

> --
> LotteBum

Thanks for that little chuckle. Tell it like it is.

I'm tending to think that you ACTUALLY do ride with a shotgun!

Tamyka Bell
July 5th 05, 04:04 AM
Retrograded wrote:

> "LotteBum" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross St
> >>intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP).
> >
> > To be honest, I've never found that particular section of road
> > particularly dangerous. Of course, not knowing what happened, I'm not
> > going to lay the blame on anyone, but those 'commuter types' tend to
> > ride like complete cocklunches.
> >
> > I pass one lady every morning fully decked out with an orange vest and
> > saddle bags. Usually she passes me as I wait for the lights near the
> > Indooroopilly bridge to change. I pass her about 200 metres up the
> > load and I honestly feel like pushing her out in front of the first
> > oncoming Prado for being such a dipsh!t.
> >
> > The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, attend
> > all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with their
> > hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at the
> > equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they're
> > surprised when hit by a car.
> >
> > The above is a GENERALISATION and is NOT aimed at all 'commuter types',
> > although I still think their vests are ugly.
> >
> > LotteBum
> >

> > --
> > LotteBum
> >

> Thanks for that little chuckle. Tell it like it is.
>
> I'm tending to think that you ACTUALLY do ride with a shotgun!

Holy crap, you thought she was JOKING?

Tam

Stuart Lamble
July 5th 05, 04:13 AM
On 2005-07-05, cfsmtb > wrote:
> Hmm, yeah I can emphasise with your generalisations. As a cyclist who's
> been attend a Ride That Dare Not Speak It's Name (or two) ok, CM riders
> 'cork' vehicles & intersections to keep the ride together.

I can't agree with that. They say they're riding for cyclists' rights. I
have no issue with that per se. I do, however, firmly believe that it is
the responsibility of *all* riders to stay within the road laws as much
as possible, and as much as is consistent with staying safe (the
argument there being that if I have to get onto the footpath to avoid a
bingle, I'll damn well do so, and the law can go jump, and similar edge
cases.)

Now, a friend has said to me that he's heard it argued that this
(running reds as part of CM) is because it's like a lorry: it's legal
for a lorry to go through the intersection on the red as long as it
entered the intersection before the lights turned red -- the back isn't
what breaks the law. That smacks of pure sophistry. CM is not a long
truck. CM is a group of cyclists; *each cyclist* is *individually*
responsible for obeying the law.

I'll grant that there's a hoodlum element within CM -- a minority,
what's more -- that gives the ride a bad name. I'll grant that it
doesn't take much to tarnish a given group's reputation. But they aren't
doing themselves, or us, any favours with that sort of attitude.

Trouble is, we have BV on one hand (whose lobbying seems to be at best
somewhat ineffective) and CM on the other ... and nothing in between.
(My Melbourne bias is showing here again, isn't it?) I wish I had some
answers to the implicit questions raised by the above rant.

EuanB
July 5th 05, 04:15 AM
LotteBum Wrote:

> I pass one lady every morning fully decked out with an orange vest an
> saddle bags. Usually she passes me as I wait for the lights near th
> Indooroopilly bridge to change. I pass her about 200 metres up the loa
> and I honestly feel like pushing her out in front of the first oncomin
> Prado for being such a dipsh!t.
> What's wrong with reflective vests? I wear one all the time, I lik
being seen. Maybe I'm an attention seeker :-

LotteBum Wrote:

> The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, atten
> all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with thei
> hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at th
> equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they're surprise
> when hit by a car.
> *Generalisation* And generally the sort who won't cycle anywhere tha
hasn't got a bike lane or path
--
Cheer
Euan (commuter type

--
EuanB

Tamyka Bell
July 5th 05, 04:41 AM
EuanB wrote:

> LotteBum Wrote:
> >
> > I pass one lady every morning fully decked out with an orange vest and
> > saddle bags. Usually she passes me as I wait for the lights near the
> > Indooroopilly bridge to change. I pass her about 200 metres up the load
> > and I honestly feel like pushing her out in front of the first oncoming
> > Prado for being such a dipsh!t.
> > What's wrong with reflective vests? I wear one all the time, I like
> being seen. Maybe I'm an attention seeker :-p
>
> LotteBum Wrote:
> >
> > The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, attend
> > all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with their
> > hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at the
> > equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they're surprised
> > when hit by a car.
> > *Generalisation* And generally the sort who won't cycle anywhere that
> hasn't got a bike lane or path.
> --
> Cheers
> Euan (commuter type)
>
> --
> EuanB

Euan,

please note that you are a commuter type, not a 'commuter type' as there
is a subtle difference, that being you do clever **** like claim lanes,
etc.

Tam :) also a commuter type, who gets very upset if a car beats her
across the intersection... I take my commuting seriously, it's more fun
that way.

Jimbo Jones
July 5th 05, 05:04 AM
Fairfield Rd is two lanes but this section is particularly tight (in bound).
I've almost been clipped there a few times. It's coming out of a 70 kph zone
too so most people are still hooning. The problem is when cars can't hop
into the right lane - squish!

I wouldn't be entirely suprised if the cyclist ran the red light - given his
position of his stack it wouldn't suprise me. I have seen a lot of people
run that particular light too....

"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> adam85 wrote:
> >
> > Jimbo Jones Wrote:
> > > I drove past an accident on the way to my swim this morning at around
> > > 6.30.
> > >
> > > Looks like a guy on a commuter got cleaned up through the Cardross St
> > > intersection (the narrow rail bridge near the BP). He looked alright
> > > but a
> > > bit of blood was coming out of his mouth. A few roadies stopped to
help
> > > him
> > > out. There was a car a few hundred metres up the road with its hazards
> > > on
> > > and a couple from the car were running up the road to help out. I'm
not
> > > sure
> > > if the stopped car was involved.
> > >
> > > Did anyone see it / hear what happened?
> > >
> > > I sure hate that section of road - I've had a few near misses there.
> > > Motorists don't realise how narrow it is & the sides of the road is
> > > usually
> > > covered in glass.
> > >
> > > Let's hope he's alright.
> > >
> > > Jimbo
> >
> > Bugger, hope he's OK. FWIW I sometimes take the shortcut down Ortive st
> > (near the animal research centre) which is the first left after you come
> > off the overpass (heading inbound). Then turn right and there is a short
> > bikeway. You can get through to Kadumba St and the Brisbane Corso if you
> > are doing the "river loop" avoiding all but a small section of Fairfield
> > Rd.
> >
> > --
> > adam85
>
> Fairfield Rd is two lanes each way there, isn't it? It's a bloody fast
> strip too, easy to keep the speed up. Never had a problem. Hope he's
> okay.
>
> (In fact my only problem on the river ride has been when I've done it in
> reverse, and nearly been killed by the oncoming Park Rd bunch cutting
> the corner at Diane St.)
>
> Tam

Retrograded
July 5th 05, 06:47 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> Retrograded wrote:
>>
>> "LotteBum" > wrote in
>> message

>> > To be honest, I've never found that particular section of road
>> > particularly dangerous. Of course, not knowing what happened, I'm not
>> > going to lay the blame on anyone, but those 'commuter types' tend to
>> > ride like complete cocklunches.
>> >
>> > I pass one lady every morning fully decked out with an orange vest and
>> > saddle bags. Usually she passes me as I wait for the lights near the
>> > Indooroopilly bridge to change. I pass her about 200 metres up the
>> > load and I honestly feel like pushing her out in front of the first
>> > oncoming Prado for being such a dipsh!t.
>> >
>> > The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, attend
>> > all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with their
>> > hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at the
>> > equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they're
>> > surprised when hit by a car.
>> >
>> > The above is a GENERALISATION and is NOT aimed at all 'commuter types',
>> > although I still think their vests are ugly.
>> >
>> > LotteBum
>> >

>> > --
>> > LotteBum
>> >

>> Thanks for that little chuckle. Tell it like it is.
>>
>> I'm tending to think that you ACTUALLY do ride with a shotgun!
>
> Holy crap, you thought she was JOKING?
>
> Tam

Woah! I didn't think she was SERIOUS!

<a mental note to self: befriend LotteBum>

Tamyka Bell
July 5th 05, 06:53 AM
Retrograded wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> > Retrograded wrote:
> >>
> >> "LotteBum" > wrote in
> >> message

> >> Thanks for that little chuckle. Tell it like it is.
> >>
> >> I'm tending to think that you ACTUALLY do ride with a shotgun!
> >
> > Holy crap, you thought she was JOKING?
> >
> > Tam
>
> Woah! I didn't think she was SERIOUS!
>
> <a mental note to self: befriend LotteBum>

Befriend me too. I'm her sidekick. :D

Tam-in-Cam

Retrograded
July 5th 05, 07:03 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> Retrograded wrote:

>> > Holy crap, you thought she was JOKING?
>> >
>> > Tam
>>
>> Woah! I didn't think she was SERIOUS!
>>
>> <a mental note to self: befriend LotteBum>
>
> Befriend me too. I'm her sidekick. :D
>
> Tam-in-Cam

Sure, I have plenty of space left in my friend directory.

Are you just as dangerous as LotteBum, should you also be placed in the
'introduce self with caution' category?

Tamyka Bell
July 5th 05, 07:07 AM
Retrograded wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> > Retrograded wrote:

> >> Woah! I didn't think she was SERIOUS!
> >>
> >> <a mental note to self: befriend LotteBum>
> >
> > Befriend me too. I'm her sidekick. :D
> >
> > Tam-in-Cam
>
> Sure, I have plenty of space left in my friend directory.
>
> Are you just as dangerous as LotteBum, should you also be placed in the
> 'introduce self with caution' category?

Oh, I wouldn't go THAT far...

Tam *harmless, really*

Retrograded
July 5th 05, 07:19 AM
"Tamyka Bell" > wrote in message
> Retrograded wrote:

>> > Befriend me too. I'm her sidekick. :D
>> >
>> > Tam-in-Cam
>>
>> Sure, I have plenty of space left in my friend directory.
>>
>> Are you just as dangerous as LotteBum, should you also be placed in the
>> 'introduce self with caution' category?
>
> Oh, I wouldn't go THAT far...
>
> Tam *harmless, really*

Oh GOOD. Glad to make your acquaintance.

Peter Signorini
July 5th 05, 09:04 AM
"LotteBum" wrote:

> The sad thing is, so many 'commuter types' ride just like her, attend
> all kinds of "Cyclists deserve rights on roads!" rallies with their
> hippy mates (it's called Critical Mass, I believe), ride at the
> equivalent pace of a tortoise, run red lights.... yet they're
> surprised when hit by a car.
>
> The above is a GENERALISATION

Here's another one. Over stoked wannabee road racers who storm down the
highways in their multi-colour team jersey on that flash carbon ride with
full-Campy and 3 spoke wheels, in too much of a hurry to put up with anyone
drafting them ('cos it slows ya down, ya know), listening to the Fox FM on
their iPod headphones and very pedantic and verbal with traffic about
claiming road space, but as soon as they meet a red light in peak hour
traffic they track-stand and quietly scan the traffic before busting through
a gap in traffic to race on down the road to their cafe appointment. Oh yes,
and making the mobile call as they ride!

Generalisations - so easy to make, but rather hard to justify.

Cheers
Peter
and is NOT aimed at all 'commuter types',
> although I still think their vests are ugly.
>
> LotteBum
>

> --
> LotteBum

cfsmtb
July 5th 05, 11:25 AM
Stuart Lamble Wrote:
> I'll grant that there's a hoodlum element within CM -- a minority,what'
> more -- that gives the ride a bad name. I'll grant that it
> doesn't take much to tarnish a given group's reputation. But the
> aren't
> doing themselves, or us, any favours with that sort of attitude.
>
> Trouble is, we have BV on one hand (whose lobbying seems to be at best
> somewhat ineffective) and CM on the other ... and nothing in between.
> (My Melbourne bias is showing here again, isn't it?) I wish I had some
> answers to the implicit questions raised by the above rant.

Hey Stuart, where's this hoodlum element? Examples? Can you point the
out to me so I can go and have a quiet chat to them? I'm serious, no
supply details etc.
As for the "missing link" btw CM and BV, here's a New York example o
what Melbourne needs:
Times Up! http://www.times-up.org

--
cfsmtb

ritcho
July 5th 05, 01:30 PM
Peter Signorini Wrote:

> Here's another one. Over stoked wannabee road racers who storm dow
> the
> highways in their multi-colour team jersey on that flash carbon rid
> with
> full-Campy and 3 spoke wheels, in too much of a hurry to put up wit
> anyone
> drafting them ('cos it slows ya down, ya know), listening to the Fox F
> on
> their iPod headphones and very pedantic and verbal with traffic about
> claiming road space, but as soon as they meet a red light in peak hour
> traffic they track-stand and quietly scan the traffic before bustin
> through
> a gap in traffic to race on down the road to their cafe appointment. O
> yes,
> and making the mobile call as they ride!
>
> Generalisations - so easy to make, but rather hard to justify.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Listening to an iPod, track-stand + making a mobile phone call all a
once? Now there is an example of bike control for us all! :D

Ritc

--
ritcho

Tamyka Bell
July 6th 05, 01:41 AM
ritcho wrote:

> Peter Signorini Wrote:
> >

> > Here's another one. Over stoked wannabee road racers who storm down
> > the
> > highways in their multi-colour team jersey on that flash carbon ride
> > with
> > full-Campy and 3 spoke wheels, in too much of a hurry to put up with
> > anyone
> > drafting them ('cos it slows ya down, ya know), listening to the Fox FM
> > on
> > their iPod headphones and very pedantic and verbal with traffic about
> > claiming road space, but as soon as they meet a red light in peak hour
> > traffic they track-stand and quietly scan the traffic before busting
> > through
> > a gap in traffic to race on down the road to their cafe appointment. Oh
> > yes,
> > and making the mobile call as they ride!
> >
> > Generalisations - so easy to make, but rather hard to justify.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Peter
> >

> Listening to an iPod, track-stand + making a mobile phone call all at
> once? Now there is an example of bike control for us all! :D
>
> Ritch

I was impressed enough at the track stand.

Tam

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home