PDA

View Full Version : Lance and them pedals

flyingdutch
July 6th 05, 07:38 AM
OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?

*'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with May
and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start o
this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp

is it the pedals or what?

my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time..

--
flyingdutch

DeF
July 6th 05, 08:16 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
>
> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with Mayo
> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start of
> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
>
> is it the pedals or what?
>
> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...

What pedals does he use? I've not pulled out of pedals since
I used to use toe-straps. This led to me having an off during
one of my few RR. Pulled out going up a hill (twice) and got
dropped. Was going like the clappers to catch the bunch, took
a corner too fast, left lots of skin from left leg, elbow and
palm on road. I was so soft, I pulled out of the race (another
DNF).

DeF

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

Claes
July 6th 05, 08:42 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
>
> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with May
> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start o
> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
>
> is it the pedals or what?
>
> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...
They are a shimano/bontrager team? Bontrager has no pedals ASFAIK s
could be shimano pedals

--
Claes

GPLama
July 6th 05, 08:47 AM
"flyingdutch" wrote in message...

> is it the pedals or what?
>
> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...

Given the namesake... maybe these..?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2002/reviews/lance_pedal

I lloovveee my spd-sl's on the roadie... so much so that I've ordered an
upgrade (yay probikekit's 10% off sale, cheers for the heads up 'till), so I
can stick my current spd-sl's on the mtb..

I cant stand the small spd cleaty thing, I have pulled out of these twice,
and both times almost ended up with a knee though my chin.. I never ride the
mtb offroad.. it is used purely for CTT'ing... so spd-sl's on it shouldn't
be a problem... might even wear my 'queer eye' Diadora shoes on a BR since
they'll have roadie cleats ;)

cheers,
GPL
:answer - Commute Time Trialing: :)

Carl Brewer
July 6th 05, 08:50 AM
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:16:25 +0800, DeF
> wrote:

>flyingdutch wrote:
>> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
>>
>> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with Mayo
>> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start of
>> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
>>
>> is it the pedals or what?
>>
>> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...
>>

>What pedals does he use?

Shimano SPD-SL, although with a non-standard cleat -
they're normally black

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=round-up2/cntdf05-lance_shoe2

FWIW, I've only ever pulled out of an SPD-SL when the cleats
and pedals were about totally rooted, and none of my
riders (that I know of) have done so either.

aeek
July 6th 05, 09:17 AM
Claes Wrote:
> They are a shimano/bontrager team? Bontrager has no pedals ASFAIK s
> could be shimano pedals?

doesn't -SL stand for Shimano Lance

--
aeek

Claes
July 6th 05, 09:23 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:16:25 +0800, DeF
> > wrote:
>
> >flyingdutch wrote:
> >> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
> >>
> >> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell wit
> Mayo
> >> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the star
> of
> >> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
> >>
> >> is it the pedals or what?
> >>
> >> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...
> >>

> >What pedals does he use?
>

> Shimano SPD-SL, although with a non-standard cleat -
> they're normally black
>

> http://tinyurl.com/dyqlf
>
> FWIW, I've only ever pulled out of an SPD-SL when the cleats
> and pedals were about totally rooted, and none of my
> riders (that I know of) have done so either.
No disrespect you or your riders, but one could assume that Lance i
stronger than any of you? :

--
Claes

dave
July 6th 05, 09:41 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
>
> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with Mayo
> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start of
> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
>
> is it the pedals or what?
>
> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...

I suspect its horsepower (lancepower) :)

Have managed it a couple of times with worn out pedals myself.. I must
admit I came a lot closer to crashing than lance did.

BruceA
July 6th 05, 09:50 AM
"Carl Brewer" wrote

> Shimano SPD-SL, although with a non-standard cleat -
> they're normally black

Just wish they made an SPD-SL cleat with10 degrees float! I stuffed up and
changed over to SPD-SL thinking they had plus\minus 6 degrees float, not
realising it is actually 6 degrees total. With my wonky legs 6 degrees
just aint enough! I had the old Time cleat system (from about 10 years ago)
and when it was time to replace decided on SPD-SL because they were cheaper.
Looks like I will just need to cough up for Time after all. Just need to
find the $$$. Perhaps Look would be ok with 9 degrees?

BruceA

(not really asking any questions, just having a moan about my own
foolishness)

no seriously. I was carving my initials in the moose with the sharpened end
of an interspace toothbrush given me by Svenge my brother in law, a dentist
and star of many a Norwegian film such as fillings of passion and . . . . .
can't remember any more . . . .

Claes
July 6th 05, 09:51 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
>
> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with May
> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start o
> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
>
> is it the pedals or what?
>
> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...
I remember seing some track race, could it have been olympics maybe
Anyway, a trackie starting from "blocks" snaps the TWO straps that i
holding his foot to the pedal. Now, what is seriously strong legs. :
His legs were probably the same circuference as my chest. :

--
Claes

Carl Brewer
July 6th 05, 09:56 AM
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:23:37 +1000, Claes
> wrote:

>> FWIW, I've only ever pulled out of an SPD-SL when the cleats
>> and pedals were about totally rooted, and none of my
>> riders (that I know of) have done so either.
>No disrespect you or your riders, but one could assume that Lance is
>stronger than any of you? :)

In all seriousness, and in context,
not really. In terms of absolute power it's quite
possible that some of the people I coach (and possibly me
too, I don't know for sure) can put out more or very similar
power. We can't sustain it for very long though, which is
the difference. Remember there's a *huge*
difference between peak power (which can be well over 1200 or more
watts) and a world class time trial or hillclimbing effort - which is
around 400-500 watts. Most normal people can put out around
the same peak power (within certain limits of course) as a top
class road cyclist for a few pedal strokes. Trackies are
a bit different, they put out *serious* power - I heard
around 2000watts peak for top sprinters? can any trackies
confirm?

Carl Brewer
July 6th 05, 09:58 AM
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:41:26 +1000, dave
> wrote:

>flyingdutch wrote:
>> OK so what's with LA pullin his cleats all the time* ?
>>
>> *'All the time' comprises that mountain stage after he fell with Mayo
>> and then fell a 2nd time due to pullin his pedals and at the start of
>> this year's TdF comin off the starting ramp
>>
>> is it the pedals or what?
>>
>> my eggbeaters are lookin better all the time...
>>

>I suspect its horsepower (lancepower) :)

According to Lance, he reckons that he had his shoe covers
fouling the cleat at the start of this year's ITT. Not a
problem with the pedals per-se, although the
design may well make it easier for that to happen. (from
cyclingnews.com, I can't find the article right now!)

Carl Brewer
July 6th 05, 10:12 AM
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:50:01 +0800, "BruceA"
> wrote:

>"Carl Brewer" wrote
>
>> Shimano SPD-SL, although with a non-standard cleat -
>> they're normally black
>
>Just wish they made an SPD-SL cleat with10 degrees float! I stuffed up and
>changed over to SPD-SL thinking they had plus\minus 6 degrees float, not
>realising it is actually 6 degrees total. With my wonky legs 6 degrees
>just aint enough! I had the old Time cleat system (from about 10 years ago)
>and when it was time to replace decided on SPD-SL because they were cheaper.
>Looks like I will just need to cough up for Time after all. Just need to
>find the $$$. Perhaps Look would be ok with 9 degrees?

Have you looked at the speedplay cleats? I understand that they
have a -lot- of float.

aeek
July 6th 05, 10:45 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> Have you looked at the speedplay cleats? I understand that they
> have a -lot- of float.

I understand you have to replace cleat AND pedal, to match the wear

--
aeek

Carl Brewer
July 6th 05, 12:31 PM
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:45:19 +1000, aeek
> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at the speedplay cleats? I understand that they
>> have a -lot- of float.
>
>I understand you have to replace cleat AND pedal, to match the wear.

No idea, all I know is they have a lot of float. With a metal cleat
too? They may last ages?

flyingdutch
July 6th 05, 10:37 PM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> Have you looked at the speedplay cleats? I understand that they
> have a -lot- of float.

eggbeater!
just as light
just as much clearance huge amounts of float, or less without having t
buy new cleats (you swap em around between shoes and the float alters
now thats good design)
you can lube/grease em eazy-peazy with supplied greasegun-thingy
you can buy build kits to re-do bearings etc very cheaply
and you wont fall arse-over-tit as you walk into cafe to get your latt
:D
and they actually hold firmer the more you pull up
and are insanely easy to get into/out of
We could eliminate all 'clipless pedal-help' threads on here if al
newbies got 'beaters

F"would it be wrong to rock up to a RR/crit with 'beaters?"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer
July 7th 05, 03:55 AM
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 07:37:55 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>F"would it be wrong to rock up to a RR/crit with 'beaters?"Dutch

Not at all! Just start rocking up to them :)

METEC is this Sunday ....

flyingdutch
July 7th 05, 05:02 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> >F"would it be wrong to rock up to a RR/crit wit
> 'beaters?"Dutch
>
> Not at all! Just start rocking up to them :)
>
> METEC is this Sunday ....[/color]

dude, we aint married (are we???) stop the nagging already :D

im getting there, slowly. almost talked myself having a go at Kew thi
Sunday but common sense prevailed. One day of hard standing-climbing
crit does not make...

Besides, doesnt METEC have a righthand turn?

F"counterclockwise"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer
July 7th 05, 05:51 AM
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:02:26 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> >F"would it be wrong to rock up to a RR/crit with
>> 'beaters?"Dutch
>>
>> Not at all! Just start rocking up to them :)
>>
>> METEC is this Sunday ....
>
>dude, we aint married (are we???) stop the nagging already :D[/color]

yap yap yap!

>im getting there, slowly. almost talked myself having a go at Kew this
>Sunday but common sense prevailed. One day of hard standing-climbing a
>crit does not make...
>
>Besides, doesnt METEC have a righthand turn?

yep, a lovely sweeper :) and a little hill, and it's *always*
windy there.

you would have loved Phillip Island - it was a fantastic
race course, and really really safe :)

suzyj
July 7th 05, 06:25 AM
Da Dutchy wrote:

> huge amounts of float

What's the fascination everyone seems to have with float? Geez, when
were young, ya cleat was a fscking thingy with a slot in it, whic
engaged with the back of the pedal. Looks never had float, until the
brought out the silly red cleats in response to SPDs. Now every time
buy a pair of Look pedals they come with yet another bloody set of re
cleats, which I chuck in the box with all the others.

When I ride on pedals with float, it feels like I'm standing on a bal
bearing. I really hate the feeling of my foot flopping around all ove
the place when I pedal.

Pedals without float are the go - so my bikes will always have Looks.

Cheers,

Suz

--
suzyj

flyingdutch
July 7th 05, 06:41 AM
Carl Brewer Wrote:

> yep, a lovely sweeper :) and a little hill, and it's *always*
> windy there.
>
> you would have loved Phillip Island - it was a fantastic
> race course, and really really safe :)

bwahahahah. PI hasnt seen the superior skills of this crash_bandicoot.

besides I HAVE crashed at PI. doin about 120kph over the rise at th
end of the straight. slid along hoping leather would hold out till th
grass arrived
:( got kicked up into a perfect tumble roll and then just ended up o
my feet and ran a dozen steps to a perfect stop. then i contemplate
just keep on running as i looked at my brothers new 'catti lying there
dooooh!

F"riding a REAL superbike now"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer
July 7th 05, 07:19 AM
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:41:05 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> yep, a lovely sweeper :) and a little hill, and it's *always*
>> windy there.
>>
>> you would have loved Phillip Island - it was a fantastic
>> race course, and really really safe :)
>
>bwahahahah. PI hasnt seen the superior skills of this crash_bandicoot.
>
>besides I HAVE crashed at PI. doin about 120kph over the rise at the
>end of the straight. slid along hoping leather would hold out till the
>grass arrived
>:( got kicked up into a perfect tumble roll and then just ended up on
>my feet and ran a dozen steps to a perfect stop. then i contemplated
>just keep on running as i looked at my brothers new 'catti lying there.
>dooooh!

That'll learn you to ride Italian bikes!

BruceA
July 7th 05, 07:22 AM
"suzyj" wrote

> Da Dutchy wrote:
>
>> huge amounts of float
>
> What's the fascination everyone seems to have with float? Geez, when I
> were young, ya cleat was a fscking thingy with a slot in it, which
> engaged with the back of the pedal. Looks never had float, until they
> brought out the silly red cleats in response to SPDs. Now every time I
> buy a pair of Look pedals they come with yet another bloody set of red
> cleats, which I chuck in the box with all the others.
>
> When I ride on pedals with float, it feels like I'm standing on a ball
> bearing. I really hate the feeling of my foot flopping around all over
> the place when I pedal.
>
> Pedals without float are the go - so my bikes will always have Looks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy

That's fine if you have perfectly straight shins and\or don't have dodgy
knees. For those of us with one or both of these ailments fixed cleats are
extremely uncomfortable and we need rotational float to avoid destroying our
knees. Float doesn't necessarily mean "flopping around". My old Time
system allowed my foot to rotate to a comfortable position, but the spring
tension and frictional force of cleat against pedal was such that my foot
stayed in that position until I consciously twisted my foot to another
position. I agree that SPD-SL do flop around a bit. Cannot comment about
Look, never used them.

Bruce A

BruceA
July 7th 05, 07:28 AM
"flyingdutch" wrote

> Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at the speedplay cleats? I understand that they
>> have a -lot- of float.

Checked out speedplay, they look good. The zero's boast 15 degrees of
rotational float, and the X series allow "unrestricted float" (whatever
that means in real terms, must be a natural limit somewhere).

> eggbeater!
> just as light
> just as much clearance huge amounts of float,

Sorry Dutchy, only 6 degrees for egg beaters according to their web site.

BruceA

flyingdutch
July 7th 05, 08:11 AM
BruceA Wrote:

> Checked out speedplay, they look good. The zero's boast 15 degrees of
> rotational float, and the X series allow "unrestricted float"
> (whatever
> that means in real terms, must be a natural limit somewhere).
>

> > eggbeater!
> > just as light
> > just as much clearance huge amounts of float,
>
> Sorry Dutchy, only 6 degrees for egg beaters according to their we
> site.
>
> BruceA

wow! certainly feels like more than my redcleated Looks!!!

15! That may lead to other knee-joint problems as you'll be forced t
perform houdini like manouvres just to get out of the darned things!!!

See if you can do a test ride of both the sppedplays and th
eggbeaters.
I havent ridden the speedplays but i can guarantee you'll be pleasantl
surprised by the 'beater

--
flyingdutch

Tamyka Bell
July 7th 05, 09:56 AM
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Claes wrote:

> Carl Brewer Wrote:

<snip>

>> FWIW, I've only ever pulled out of an SPD-SL when the cleats
>> and pedals were about totally rooted, and none of my
>> riders (that I know of) have done so either.
> No disrespect you or your riders, but one could assume that Lance is
> stronger than any of you? :)
>

> --
> Claes

What? Lance, stronger than Carl?

Tam *also has never pulled out of her SPD-SL's...

Tamyka Bell
July 7th 05, 10:43 AM
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, suzyj wrote:

> Da Dutchy wrote:
>
>> huge amounts of float
>
> What's the fascination everyone seems to have with float? Geez, when I
> were young, ya cleat was a fscking thingy with a slot in it, which
> engaged with the back of the pedal. Looks never had float, until they
> brought out the silly red cleats in response to SPDs. Now every time I
> buy a pair of Look pedals they come with yet another bloody set of red
> cleats, which I chuck in the box with all the others.
>
> When I ride on pedals with float, it feels like I'm standing on a ball
> bearing. I really hate the feeling of my foot flopping around all over
> the place when I pedal.
>
> Pedals without float are the go - so my bikes will always have Looks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy
>

> --
> suzyj

*Tam grumbles, mumbles something incoherent, something to do with those
nasty people with nice biomechanics who aren't at risk of knee implosion*

Tam

Bruce Dickson
July 8th 05, 02:49 AM
suzyj wrote:
> Da Dutchy wrote:
>
> > huge amounts of float
>
> What's the fascination everyone seems to have with float? Geez, when I
> were young, ya cleat was a fscking thingy with a slot in it, which
> engaged with the back of the pedal. Looks never had float, until they
> brought out the silly red cleats in response to SPDs. Now every time I
> buy a pair of Look pedals they come with yet another bloody set of red
> cleats, which I chuck in the box with all the others.
>
> When I ride on pedals with float, it feels like I'm standing on a ball
> bearing. I really hate the feeling of my foot flopping around all over
> the place when I pedal.
>
> Pedals without float are the go - so my bikes will always have Looks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy
>

> --
> suzyj

I'm with you Suzy. I'm still using old Keywins which don't have float,
the new Keywins can also be set up to have no float and the cleats seem
to last a lot longer than Looks.

Bruce.

aeek
July 8th 05, 03:27 AM
Bruce Dickson Wrote:

> I'm with you Suzy. I'm still using old Keywins which don't have float,
> the new Keywins can also be set up to have no float and the cleat
> seem
> to last a lot longer than Looks.

Which proves we like what we are used to.
My first clipless were SPDs, and I still ride those the most.
Otherwise, I ride Keos, the red gives me the float I'm used to.

So the lesson is, use Looks

--
aeek

Bruce Dickson
July 8th 05, 04:10 AM
aeek wrote:
> Which proves we like what we are used to.

Or just that some people don't want or need float and some people do.
No float is becoming less of a valid option for some reason.

> My first clipless were SPDs, and I still ride those the most.
> Otherwise, I ride Keos, the red gives me the float I'm used to.
>
> So the lesson is, use Looks.

That's why I posted. To say that Looks aren't the only ones with a no
float option.

Bruce.

suzyj
July 8th 05, 05:34 AM
Bruce wrote:

> No float is becoming less of a valid option for some reason.

Ya - that's what annoys me. There seems to be an "I've got more floa
than you" battle going on with pedal manufacturers. Makes it hard t
find pedals with no float at all.

I'm setting up a commute bike at the moment (once I decide what colou
to paint it) and like the look of Shimano PD-M324 pedals - SDP on
side, and platform the other, as it'd be nice to be able to nick up th
shops without putting cycling shoes on, but all the SPDs I've used see
to have crazy amounts of float.

Bugs me no end.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Tamyka Bell
July 8th 05, 05:51 AM
suzyj wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>
> > No float is becoming less of a valid option for some reason.
>
> Ya - that's what annoys me. There seems to be an "I've got more float
> than you" battle going on with pedal manufacturers. Makes it hard to
> find pedals with no float at all.
>
> I'm setting up a commute bike at the moment (once I decide what colour
> to paint it) and like the look of Shimano PD-M324 pedals - SDP one
> side, and platform the other, as it'd be nice to be able to nick up the
> shops without putting cycling shoes on, but all the SPDs I've used seem
> to have crazy amounts of float.
>
> Bugs me no end.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy
>
> --
> suzyj

Suzy, you could take up running, then you'd get all sorts of nice little
biomechanical quirks so that you REQUIRE float, and then you won't mind
float. :)

Aaaah, see, that's why they pay me the big bucks.

Tam *ticks the lowest box on the annual income survey*

aeek
July 8th 05, 07:03 AM
suzyj Wrote:

> I'm setting up a commute bike at the moment (once I decide what colou
> to paint it) and like the look of Shimano PD-M324 pedals - SDP on
> side, and platform the other, as it'd be nice to be able to nick up th
> shops without putting cycling shoes on, but all the SPDs I've used see
> to have crazy amounts of float.

why not bolt a set of cleats to some platforms of your choice

--
aeek

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home