--
alison_b

spook
July 7th 05, 01:17 PM
alison_b wrote:
> Wow... I want one of these!
>
> http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=327
>
> ali

thats pretty nice. outerlimits do a nice one as well that based on that
price is 100-150$ cheaper and the big plus is it appears to be
freestanding which the topeak doesnt appear to be. i've been thinking
about one for a while but just havent gotten around to it ...

brett

Peter McCallum
July 7th 05, 01:39 PM
spook > wrote:

> alison_b wrote:
> > Wow... I want one of these!
> >
> > http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=327
> >
> > ali
>
> thats pretty nice. outerlimits do a nice one as well that based on that
> price is 100-150$ cheaper and the big plus is it appears to be
> freestanding which the topeak doesnt appear to be. i've been thinking
> about one for a while but just havent gotten around to it ...
>
> brett

or you can get some blue tarp, a few tent pegs and some nylon cord and
do much the same thing for less than $50.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

spook
July 7th 05, 01:52 PM
Peter McCallum wrote:

> or you can get some blue tarp, a few tent pegs and some nylon cord and
> do much the same thing for less than $50.

speaking from experience the tarp works really well in high winds and
driving rain </sarcasm>. Seriously things like free standing is nice for
me as it lets me camp on sand or rocky ground where tarps or non-free
standing tents just dont cut it. though i could get a swag ... hmmm

Terry Collins
July 7th 05, 02:42 PM
spook wrote:
> Peter McCallum wrote:
>

>> or you can get some blue tarp, a few tent pegs and some nylon cord and
>> do much the same thing for less than $50.
>>

> speaking from experience the tarp works really well in high winds and
> driving rain </sarcasm>.

In my experience, most tents have trouble in these events. Effects can
be mitigated by correctly anticipating the wind direction and pitching
accordingly. The one advantage of the tarp is that it can offer the
least wind resistance, but not many people seem to carry real cloth
tarps these days.

BrettM
July 7th 05, 04:12 PM
> In my experience, most tents have trouble in these events. Effects can
> be mitigated by correctly anticipating the wind direction and pitching
> accordingly. The one advantage of the tarp is that it can offer the
> least wind resistance, but not many people seem to carry real cloth
> tarps these days.

It's very hard to find anyone to make the things. The two good ones
I've got I made from sail cloth, which in it self is hard to get
(everyone wants dacron these days). Triple reinforced hand stitched
eyelets - you don't get quality like that these days (unless you want to
get bleeding fingers yourself).

But two good tarps and two cheapies (ground sheets) a swag and a ute
makes a darn good camp for up to a week at a time.

Cheers

BrettM

Carl Brewer
July 8th 05, 01:09 AM
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:42:44 +1000, Terry Collins
> wrote:

>spook wrote:
>> Peter McCallum wrote:
>>

>>> or you can get some blue tarp, a few tent pegs and some nylon cord and
>>> do much the same thing for less than $50.
>>>

>> speaking from experience the tarp works really well in high winds and
>> driving rain </sarcasm>.
>
>In my experience, most tents have trouble in these events.

Nah, you just dig into the snow more.

Oh, this isn't aus.snowcamping, sorry :)

Peter McCallum
July 8th 05, 01:21 AM
spook > wrote:
> Peter McCallum wrote:
>

> > or you can get some blue tarp, a few tent pegs and some nylon cord and
> > do much the same thing for less than $50.
> >

> speaking from experience the tarp works really well in high winds and
> driving rain </sarcasm>.

I remember camping in these conditions with my wife and three month old
daughter under a nice big blue tarp out in the open at Maleny folk
festtival years back. The rain was coming in almost parallel to the
ground. Daughter stayed cosy and dry, as did the adults.

> Seriously things like free standing is nice for
> me as it lets me camp on sand or rocky ground where tarps or non-free
> standing tents just dont cut it. though i could get a swag ... hmmm

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Graeme
July 8th 05, 02:51 AM
alison_b > wrote in
:

> Wow... I want one of these!
>
> http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=327

Nah, you can buy a better one man tent for less than that. One that is
lighter, can also be used when you don't have your bike and also means that
if you are bike camping you can pitch the tent and still cycle to the
nearest pub without having to take the tent down.

Graeme

alison_b
July 8th 05, 03:29 AM
Graeme Wrote:
> alison_b > wrote i
>

> > Wow... I want one of these
>
> > http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=32
>
> Nah, you can buy a better one man tent for less than that. One that i
> lighter, can also be used when you don't have your bike and also mean
> tha
> if you are bike camping you can pitch the tent and still cycle to th
> nearest pub without having to take the tent down
>
> Graeme
:) the idea of cycling to the nearest pub would be good, though I ten
to camp places that would require a day's ride there and back (allowin
for the counter lunch and a few drinks). I liked the idea of no
having to carry poles, and not needing a tree with this one. For thos
of you who can be just as dry and warm with a blue tarp, I bow dow
before such superior camping skills! I'd need enough tarp to wrap
park in if I was going to keep my gear dry :)

al

--
alison_b

Graeme
July 8th 05, 04:48 AM
alison_b > wrote in
:

>:) the idea of cycling to the nearest pub would be good, though I tend
> to camp places that would require a day's ride there and back (allowing
> for the counter lunch and a few drinks).

True enough. I'm more used to the less sparsely populated parts of the
world.

> I liked the idea of not
> having to carry poles, and not needing a tree with this one.

It sounds like a bivvy bag would be ideal for you. The Topeak thingy
doesn't seem much bigger than one anyway. Admittedly this one has poles -
<http://www.gogogear.com.au/html/95RMNCEN.htm> but only wee ones :) and at
0.85kg just over half the weight of the Topeak.

Graeme

alison_b
July 8th 05, 05:59 AM
Graeme Wrote:

> It sounds like a bivvy bag would be ideal for you. The Topeak thing
> doesn't seem much bigger than one anyway. Admittedly this one has pole
>
> <http://www.gogogear.com.au/html/95RMNCEN.htm> but only wee ones :) an
> 0.85kg just over half the weight of the Topeak
>
> Graeme
oooh... that weighs nothing! thanks for the tip

The kids mentioned last weekend that we did little camping this year;
said we should do something about that, but it would have to be by bike
They were up for it, which means rethinking our current gear... an
shopping! :D

cheers
al

--
alison_b

Graeme
July 8th 05, 08:59 AM
alison_b > wrote in
:

> The kids mentioned last weekend that we did little camping this year; I
> said we should do something about that, but it would have to be by bike.
> They were up for it, which means rethinking our current gear... and
> shopping! :D

Ah well, if shopping is the game, then put one of the Bob trailers
<www.bobtrailers.com> at the top of your shopping list. Then you can extend
your list to much longer than it could have been without it ;)

Graeme

hippy
July 8th 05, 09:44 AM
alison_b Wrote:
> Wow... I want one of these!
> http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=327

Nah... that's silly. Just swap some track cranks for Dutchy's 1-ma
MacPac tent. It's probably lighter, it's self-supported and I don'
have to take my bike apart and hook it to the tent to set up camp...

hipp

--
hippy

flyingdutch
July 8th 05, 11:10 AM
hippy Wrote:
> Nah... that's silly. Just swap some track cranks for Dutchy's 1-ma
> MacPac tent. It's probably lighter, it's self-supported and I don'
> have to take my bike apart and hook it to the tent to set up camp...
>
> hippy

hehe. must_use_those_cranks_soon!

Is it doing the job? i think i owe you another leadout/goatage o
return as Im sure the macpac will see far more action this year tha
those cranks. stoopid cranky shoulder...

just to make you all larf, i ended up a comittee person on a bike clu
last night!
OK, admittedly i wanted to, but Im ****e scared Im gonna let peopl
down in some shape/form...
Hell, i figure i can make up for knowledge/cycling/experience i
enthusiasm and effort.

hopefully..

--
flyingdutch

spook
July 8th 05, 11:20 AM
BrettM wrote:

> It's very hard to find anyone to make the things. The two good ones
> I've got I made from sail cloth, which in it self is hard to get
> (everyone wants dacron these days). Triple reinforced hand stitched
> eyelets - you don't get quality like that these days (unless you want to
> get bleeding fingers yourself).
>
> But two good tarps and two cheapies (ground sheets) a swag and a ute
> makes a darn good camp for up to a week at a time.

see i'm one of those people that sees car camping as about as
interesting as riding on an indoor trainer. sure tarps are great for
this but just not my cup of tea. give me a one man ultralight and a pack
any day!!

brett

BrettM
July 8th 05, 11:34 AM
spook > wrote in
u:

> BrettM wrote:
>>
>> It's very hard to find anyone to make the things. The two good ones
>> I've got I made from sail cloth, which in it self is hard to get
>> (everyone wants dacron these days). Triple reinforced hand stitched
>> eyelets - you don't get quality like that these days (unless you want
>> to get bleeding fingers yourself).
>>
>> But two good tarps and two cheapies (ground sheets) a swag and a ute
>> makes a darn good camp for up to a week at a time.
>
> see i'm one of those people that sees car camping as about as
> interesting as riding on an indoor trainer. sure tarps are great for
> this but just not my cup of tea. give me a one man ultralight and a
> pack any day!!
>
> brett

Fully agree except when what I'm doing is a longer trip to remote areas
for fishing or setting up a base for a kayak/canoe trip or surfing trip
with mates etc.

Bushwalking and taking everything with you on your back is fun but so
are the other activities. It is very hard to carry enough beer on your
back:)

Cheers
BrettM

spook
July 8th 05, 12:01 PM
BrettM wrote:

> Bushwalking and taking everything with you on your back is fun but so
> are the other activities. It is very hard to carry enough beer on your
> back:)

see thats what whiskey is for!!

BrettM
July 8th 05, 12:44 PM
spook > wrote in news:42ce5da4$0$20856$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

> BrettM wrote:
>
>> Bushwalking and taking everything with you on your back is fun but so
>> are the other activities. It is very hard to carry enough beer on
your
>> back:)
>>

> see thats what whiskey is for!!

Nooooooooooooooooo.

Whiskey is for sipping on the porch while watching the sun sink slowly
over the range after another satisfying day defending the forces of good
(or whatever it is I do). Warmth and relaxation all at once.

A little like the Jameson's I'm sipping at the moment. I swear that it
was only two fingers.......I didn't say they were on the same hand.

Cheers
BrettM

Terry Collins
July 8th 05, 01:51 PM
spook wrote:

> give me a one man ultralight and a pack any day!!
>
> brett

You tour with a pack on your back!!!!!!! {:-)

Peter McCallum
July 9th 05, 12:03 AM
Terry Collins > wrote:

> spook wrote:
>
> > give me a one man ultralight and a pack any day!!
> >
> > brett
>
> You tour with a pack on your back!!!!!!! {:-)

No he puts it in the cargo compartment of his ultralight silly!
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

spook
July 9th 05, 04:05 AM
Terry Collins wrote:

> You tour with a pack on your back!!!!!!! {:-)

definately when i'm on foot and more often than not when i'm out in the
blue mountains on my mtb on overnighters. 40lt day pack, ultralight
sierra designs cliplight tent (~2 pounds), down bag, a few litres of
water and mostly dried food for overnight trips plus a few odds and
ends. all in all i'm riding with about 15kgs on my back which is both
manageable and relatively comfortable. typically these are trips that
are 40-60km ride in then the same ride back out.

brett

TimC
July 10th 05, 12:55 PM
On 2005-07-08, spook (aka Bruce)
> BrettM wrote:
>> But two good tarps and two cheapies (ground sheets) a swag and a ute
>> makes a darn good camp for up to a week at a time.
>
> see i'm one of those people that sees car camping as about as
> interesting as riding on an indoor trainer. sure tarps are great for
> this but just not my cup of tea. give me a one man ultralight and a pack
> any day!!

I (and Peter S) just went for a weekend camp with MBTC. 3 to 5
degrees all day yesterday (don't know what the min was lastnight - the
sky was clear, but the thermometer still on my bike, and I wasn't
about to go out and check it at 4:00 this morning, when I woke up
first), with a wind chill factor probably bringing it down to -10,
according to http://www.springfrog.com/weather/wind-chill.htm

'Twas lovely (well, after the tarp shelter was set up, and the camp
fire lit (after the 4th attempt), and the rain stopped), until this
morning when the stupid fsckers down the creek a bit brought out their
trail bikes. They really tore up the place - including the grass next
to the road. ******* fsckers.

Nasty headwind today.

--
TimC
Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers.

Carl Brewer
July 11th 05, 12:20 AM
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:10:07 +1000, flyingdutch
> wrote:

>just to make you all larf, i ended up a comittee person on a bike club
>last night!

So *that's* why you missed the dinner?!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home