PDA

View Full Version : I told you it was the bike!

Bean Long
October 4th 05, 12:37 AM
Well, what a trip this morning. First commute on my new Giant TCR2 (read
old posts if you want to find out why it's not the OCRzero I was bragging
about). I was a little apprehensive this morning after being up with a
sleepless baby until the wee hours and only getting about 4 hours sleep.
I'm also recovering from a nasty cold/flu and have been on the bike only a
few times in the past few months due to baby trouble and other poor excuses.
So, I was expecting a crappy ride and assumed I wouldn't enjoy it. Anyway,
got my gear together and hopped on the beast, clipped in (my first SPD's)
and rolled out the driveway. I immediately noticed the extra speed just
rolling down our street (compared with my old hunk of cheap steel) and had
to remind myself of the different geometry and gear/brake positions on this
thing. Wasn't long before I had to test my skill at popping in and out of
the pedals at a major intersection and was quite proud of the fact that I
didn't fall over... not even once! Next was Farrer Ridge. Not a steep
climb by anyone's standards but the first test of the legs of a morning and
usually where I see little kids and grandfathers rolling past me as I
struggle up the slope. Not this time though! I came up behind what seemed
to be an experienced rider with a roadie and quickly passed him (more like
floated by actually) and reached the top of the hill in no time flat. Said
rider was on my wheel when I got to the top and we exchanged 'good morning'
s and turns at the front for another few k's. Got past the few traffic
lights and onto the unhindered section of bike path that I take to work and
we got chatting. "Nice bike" he says, "looks new". Since this is the first
time I'd been able to keep pace with someone in Canberra, it was probably
the reason I was able to have a conversation in along time. Had a good chat
all the way to Commonwealth Bridge (turns out he knows someone I know...
yada yada yada) where I went my way and he his. Got swooped once just as I
made it to work, then checked my travel time. WOW! A whole 8 mins off my
best time on the clunker! An average of around 29 (very good for me on a
gentle commute) and I would consider myself very out of shape (I could
describe the shape specifically but I think most of you would feel ill).
I'm so chuffed! Money well spent and a nice ride!

Cheers,
--
Coffee Bean - Without the coffee!

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

flyingdutch
October 4th 05, 02:33 AM
Wooot.

nothing like a new bike between yer legs :D

--
flyingdutch

sinus
October 4th 05, 03:49 AM
Bean Long Wrote:
> Well, what a trip this morning. First commute on my new Giant TCR2 (read
> old posts if you want to find out why it's not the OCRzero I was
> bragging
> about). I was a little apprehensive this morning after being up with a
> sleepless baby until the wee hours and only getting about 4 hours
> sleep.
> I'm also recovering from a nasty cold/flu and have been on the bike
> only a
> few times in the past few months due to baby trouble and other poor
> excuses.
> So, I was expecting a crappy ride and assumed I wouldn't enjoy it.
> Anyway,
> got my gear together and hopped on the beast, clipped in (my first
> SPD's)
> and rolled out the driveway.
> <snip>

Nice one. That's great motivation for me - I have been at the same
place as you baby and health wise and have not been on the bike
virtually all September. Rolled the commuter out of the shed on the
weekend and got medical clearance this morning. Which means I am ready
to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents
swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the
motivation of a new bike as well.

--
sinus

Bean Long
October 4th 05, 04:46 AM
Yes, a new bike helps. Not just that it's a shiny new toy... because of the
expense I can't justfy leaving it at home while I catch the bus! I'll also
be one of those mad Ride To Work freaks tomorrow too.

--
Bean

"sinus" > wrote in message
> Nice one. That's great motivation for me - I have been at the same
> place as you baby and health wise and have not been on the bike
> virtually all September. Rolled the commuter out of the shed on the
> weekend and got medical clearance this morning. Which means I am ready
> to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents
> swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the
> motivation of a new bike as well.
>

> --
> sinus

EuanB
October 4th 05, 04:56 AM
sinus Wrote:
> Nice one. That's great motivation for me - I have been at the same place
> as you baby and health wise and have not been on the bike virtually all
> September. Rolled the commuter out of the shed on the weekend and got
> medical clearance this morning. Which means I am ready to commute on
> Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents swell the
> commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the motivation of
> a new bike as well.

New wheels are good :-) Got a new set on Saturday and the improvement
is dramatic.

--
EuanB

flyingdutch
October 4th 05, 05:08 AM
sinus Wrote:
> ... Which means I am ready to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the
> lunatics and incompetents swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work
> day). Wish I had the motivation of a new bike as well.

could be worse. they could be in their usual 2 tonnes of steel :(

--
flyingdutch

sinus
October 4th 05, 05:40 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> could be worse. they could be in their usual 2 tonnes of steel :(
yep. If only they did it more often.

How about a Ride to Work day every week ;) (after you are elected of
course)

--
sinus

Peka
October 4th 05, 06:04 AM
Bean Long Wrote:
> .....I made it to work, then checked my travel time. WOW! A whole 8 mins
> off my best time on the clunker! An average of around 29 (very good for
> me on a gentle commute) and I would consider myself very out of shape
> (I could describe the shape specifically but I think most of you would
> feel ill). I'm so chuffed! Money well spent and a nice ride!Jeebus! 8mins quicker? What was your old clunker? How much does the TCR2
weigh? How far is your commute?

--
Peka

TimC
October 4th 05, 06:25 AM
On 2005-10-03, Bean Long (aka Bruce)
> Well, what a trip this morning. First commute on my new Giant TCR2 (read
> old posts if you want to find out why it's not the OCRzero I was bragging
> about). I was a little apprehensive this morning after being up with a
> sleepless baby until the wee hours

Bikes don't need to sleep. In fact, they prefer to be ridden 24 hours
a day (as long as you fit in regular maintenance somewhow).

--
TimC
And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing

Bean Long
October 4th 05, 07:37 AM
"Peka" > wrote in message
>Jeebus! 8mins quicker? What was your old clunker? How much does the TCR2
> weigh? How far is your commute?

The old machine was an ancient and low spec Diacompe MTB with a cheap
Suntour groupset. I got it second hand and always had trouble with the rear
hub. Tried to fix it myself and realised I didn't have the tools (probably
a fixed cassette which I couldn't pull apart) and, since this bike was just
an interim until I bought a good one, I put up with it for nearly 2 years.
The TCR is light! Not sure on the specs but it's a 'lift it with one
finger' sort of bike. The lower spec version of the 05 Compact Alloy series
(http://tinyurl.com/abgub). The commute is just 18 km. I put the time
saving predominantly down to the rear hub and weight of the old machine and
to the new clipless pedals!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bleve
October 4th 05, 09:30 AM
Bean Long wrote:

> The old machine was an ancient and low spec Diacompe MTB with a cheap
> Suntour groupset. I got it second hand and always had trouble with the rear
> hub. Tried to fix it myself and realised I didn't have the tools (probably
> a fixed cassette which I couldn't pull apart) and, since this bike was just
> an interim until I bought a good one, I put up with it for nearly 2 years.
> The TCR is light! Not sure on the specs but it's a 'lift it with one
> finger' sort of bike. The lower spec version of the 05 Compact Alloy series
> (http://tinyurl.com/abgub). The commute is just 18 km. I put the time
> saving predominantly down to the rear hub and weight of the old machine and
> to the new clipless pedals!

Tyres and aerodynamics will make a much bigger difference than
the weight, unless you're doing a significant amount of climbing.

dave
October 4th 05, 09:51 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> sinus Wrote:
>
>>... Which means I am ready to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the
>>lunatics and incompetents swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work
>>day). Wish I had the motivation of a new bike as well.
>

> could be worse. they could be in their usual 2 tonnes of steel :(

Just a typical sunday. The kids r older is all

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home