PDA

View Full Version : Ku-ringai Council's Joke Ride

Pat and Bob Chambers
October 7th 05, 11:43 AM
For some reason our local Council has prepared a part off road cycle route
for the 20 minute ride from central St Ives to Gordon station (St Ives is in
hilly northern Sydney). The cycle path runs down into a couple of creeks,
across several ridges and gullies and requires a climb of 140 metres to
descend just 40 metres. Coupled with all that, some of the grades are
nearly 20% over quite long distances - most from a standing start. The off
road parts are only two metres wide, meaning that one has to dismount to
safely pass another cyclist or pedestrian.

I suggest that this is a total waste of ratepayers money as most will only
use it once!

For a profile, look at : http://tinyurl.com/dkvc2

Bob C

SomeGuy
October 7th 05, 02:02 PM
Pat and Bob Chambers Wrote:
> For some reason our local Council has prepared a part off road cycle
> route
> for the 20 minute ride from central St Ives to Gordon station (St Ives
> is in
> hilly northern Sydney). The cycle path runs down into a couple of
> creeks,
> across several ridges and gullies and requires a climb of 140 metres to
> descend just 40 metres. Coupled with all that, some of the grades are
> nearly 20% over quite long distances - most from a standing start. The
> off
> road parts are only two metres wide, meaning that one has to dismount
> safely pass another cyclist or pedestrian.
>
> I suggest that this is a total waste of ratepayers money as most will
> only
> use it once!
>
> For a profile, look at : http://tinyurl.com/dkvc2
>
> Bob C
18% gradient? Looks more like <10% to me...

--
SomeGuy

FlashGordon
October 7th 05, 02:16 PM
That's why we live in Ku-ring-gai Council area to enjoy the hills and
valleys!

You have to forgive Council as they are hardup for cash and hence can only
follow the contours of the land but have plenty of money to fight home
owners extending their houses but go to bed with big developers unless there
is a public out cry.

I would have thought that 2m is pretty standard width for cycleways. At
least that is what it is for the route (from Pymble) I take to Crows Nest
along Rocky Creek at Narrenburn.

Gordon

"Pat and Bob Chambers" <patnbobattpg.com.au> wrote in message
> For some reason our local Council has prepared a part off road cycle route
> for the 20 minute ride from central St Ives to Gordon station (St Ives is
> in
> hilly northern Sydney). The cycle path runs down into a couple of creeks,
> across several ridges and gullies and requires a climb of 140 metres to
> descend just 40 metres. Coupled with all that, some of the grades are
> nearly 20% over quite long distances - most from a standing start. The
> off
> road parts are only two metres wide, meaning that one has to dismount to
> safely pass another cyclist or pedestrian.
>
> I suggest that this is a total waste of ratepayers money as most will only
> use it once!
>
> For a profile, look at : http://tinyurl.com/dkvc2
>
> Bob C

Google