PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sweet on a bicycle built for - who?

ghostgum
October 9th 05, 11:59 PM
The NYTimes article on bike seats and anatomy is given another spin

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/feeling-the-lycra-squeeze/2005/10/09/1128796403338.html

--
ghostgum

cfsmtb
October 10th 05, 02:43 AM
ghostgum Wrote:
> The NYTimes article on bike seats and anatomy is given another spin
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/feeling-the-lycra-squeeze/2005/10/09/1128796403338.html

Another storm in a tea (or should that be chamois?) Do the authors of
the article in The Journal of Sexual Medicine know *anything* about
basic geometry/setup of a bike? Do they even care? Regardless, anyone
who rides around numb for any length of time without adjusting their
bikes basic geometry must be fecking numbnuts.

--
cfsmtb

TimC
October 10th 05, 08:04 AM
On 2005-10-10, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
> Regardless, anyone who rides around numb for any length of time
> without adjusting their bikes basic geometry must be fecking
> numbnuts.

Dear cfsmtb: you are my hero.

Is that a pun, or is something like that given a different name?

--
TimC
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically

Madonna del Ghisallo
October 10th 05, 08:27 AM
Um - I don't think that far ahead. Possibly combination of
stream-of-consciousness + tautology? Glad you liked it. tootle-pips.

c;)

Plodder
October 10th 05, 11:53 PM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message

> Another storm in a tea (or should that be chamois?) Do the authors of
> the article in The Journal of Sexual Medicine know *anything* about
> basic geometry/setup of a bike? Do they even care? Regardless, anyone
> who rides around numb for any length of time without adjusting their
> bikes basic geometry must be fecking numbnuts.
>

> --
> cfsmtb

I dunno. Many casual cyclists I know think discomfort is part of riding a
bike. They think a sore bum, numb bits and sore hands is part of the deal.
The common solution? Only ride a few km, slowly, tottering about on shared
paths through parks, seat low enough so they can put both feet flat on the
ground with knees bent, saddle at whatever angle it was when they bought the
bike, etc, etc. Exactly the kind of rider who will then leave the bike in
the shed because it hurts to ride. Exactly the kind of rider who will be put
off by articles like this instead of investigating causes (because they
don't know there's something to investigate).

The blame for poor fit for these casuals lies with bike retailers.
Supermarkets because they have nobody to advise their Huffy buyers and bike
shops for not explaining fit in detail, even (especially when?) it's only a
$200 bike.

By stating what you do above you're assuming everyone knows what questions
to ask and where to go for answers. That's a pretty elitist assumption: that
everyone cares for their bike as people on this and other bike groups do.
Not everyone is a 'keen cyclist". Many, many people just want to pootle
around on a Sunday morning and makethemselves feel good about getting some
exercise. Articles like this make those people take up golf... and keep
driving rather than riding.

Cheers,

Frank

cfsmtb
October 11th 05, 01:20 AM
Plodder Wrote:

> By stating what you do above you're assuming everyone knows what
> questions to ask and where to go for answers. That's a pretty elitist
> assumption: that everyone cares for their bike as people on this and
> other bike groups do. Not everyone is a 'keen cyclist". Many, many
> people just want to pootle around on a Sunday morning and
> makethemselves feel good about getting some exercise. Articles like
> this make those people take up golf... and keep driving rather than
> riding.

It's not an elitist assumption. A certain percentage of the population
when faced with problem probably will take steps to educate themselves
in order to solve it. Another percentage can't/won't/shalnt - and
unfortunately end up utilising a service industry/medical practitioner
to repair it for them. ie: think Podiatrists, Cardiologists,
Chiropractors, Cleaning Services, Smash Repairers etc etc etc. It's
education vs regulation and legislation. The bike industry has huge
role in in designing adequate models for domestic markets - but
invaribly churn out cheap lowend imports. Any possible solution to that
comes from cyclists, as the products end user group, should take a
longterm approach educating themselves and working with
industry/government to enforce satisfactory production standards. If I
had my way, the majority of the ****e for sale in Kmart etc would be
withdrawn & all bikes for domestic market would come equiped with
guards, lights, highly detailed instructional manuals (with relevant
local information, links and networking tips) and all that daggy
unfashionable stuff. Back to the saddle positions for a moment, this
again is an could be seen as an example of condenscending and/or
ignorant attitudes towards cyclists and cycling in general. Populist
stuff without hard data analysis is relatively easy copy to spin in the
media - and we should object to it at every opportunity.

--
cfsmtb

Resound
October 11th 05, 02:23 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message

> Plodder Wrote:
>>
>> By stating what you do above you're assuming everyone knows what
>> questions to ask and where to go for answers. That's a pretty elitist
>> assumption: that everyone cares for their bike as people on this and
>> other bike groups do. Not everyone is a 'keen cyclist". Many, many
>> people just want to pootle around on a Sunday morning and
>> makethemselves feel good about getting some exercise. Articles like
>> this make those people take up golf... and keep driving rather than
>> riding.
>

> It's not an elitist assumption. A certain percentage of the population
> when faced with problem probably will take steps to educate themselves
> in order to solve it. Another percentage can't/won't/shalnt - and
> unfortunately end up utilising a service industry/medical practitioner
> to repair it for them. ie: think Podiatrists, Cardiologists,
> Chiropractors, Cleaning Services, Smash Repairers etc etc etc. It's
> education vs regulation and legislation. The bike industry has huge
> role in in designing adequate models for domestic markets - but
> invaribly churn out cheap lowend imports. Any possible solution to that
> comes from cyclists, as the products end user group, should take a
> longterm approach educating themselves and working with
> industry/government to enforce satisfactory production standards. If I
> had my way, the majority of the ****e for sale in Kmart etc would be
> withdrawn & all bikes for domestic market would come equiped with
> guards, lights, highly detailed instructional manuals (with relevant
> local information, links and networking tips) and all that daggy
> unfashionable stuff. Back to the saddle positions for a moment, this
> again is an could be seen as an example of condenscending and/or
> ignorant attitudes towards cyclists and cycling in general. Populist
> stuff without hard data analysis is relatively easy copy to spin in the
> media - and we should object to it at every opportunity.
>

> --
> cfsmtb

A damn good point. I went hunting for information when I started riding,
that's how I found a.b. The community on this group seems to have inquiring
minds as a common feature as much as cycling. So now we're faced with the
issue that plagues so many other groups, namely how you inform the
unfortunately large portion of the general public who is not merely
apathetic about but often actively hostile to instruction? By the way, if we
work out how to do this, we're going to be beset on all sides by the
education community, the health industry etc etc :) Hmm...offer an interview
to 'lifestyle' tv shows on one way to 'beat rising petrol prices'?

cfsmtb
October 11th 05, 07:30 AM
Resound wrote:
> A damn good point. I went hunting for information when I started riding,
> that's how I found a.b. The community on this group seems to have inquiring
> minds as a common feature as much as cycling. So now we're faced with the
> issue that plagues so many other groups, namely how you inform the
> unfortunately large portion of the general public who is not merely
> apathetic about but often actively hostile to instruction? By the way, if we
> work out how to do this, we're going to be beset on all sides by the
> education community, the health industry etc etc :) Hmm...offer an interview
> to 'lifestyle' tv shows on one way to 'beat rising petrol prices'?

Either we form a advertising company, float it on the stock exchange &
make lots of $$$. Or invent the ultimate rumour that proports cycling
as alluring and deadset sexy. Or somefink like that....

Resound
October 11th 05, 09:52 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Resound wrote:
>> A damn good point. I went hunting for information when I started riding,
>> that's how I found a.b. The community on this group seems to have
>> inquiring
>> minds as a common feature as much as cycling. So now we're faced with the
>> issue that plagues so many other groups, namely how you inform the
>> unfortunately large portion of the general public who is not merely
>> apathetic about but often actively hostile to instruction? By the way, if
>> we
>> work out how to do this, we're going to be beset on all sides by the
>> education community, the health industry etc etc :) Hmm...offer an
>> interview
>> to 'lifestyle' tv shows on one way to 'beat rising petrol prices'?
>

> Either we form a advertising company, float it on the stock exchange &
> make lots of $$$. Or invent the ultimate rumour that proports cycling
> as alluring and deadset sexy. Or somefink like that....

Or turn the tables on 'normal'

"Haven't you ever ridden in to work?"
"No."
*in backing away and avoiding eye contact tone of voice* "Ooookay. I suppose
there's nothing wrong with that..."

cfsmtb
October 11th 05, 02:26 PM
Resound Wrote:
> Or turn the tables on 'normal'
>
> "Haven't you ever ridden in to work?"
> "No."
> *in backing away and avoiding eye contact tone of voice* "Ooookay. I
> suppose there's nothing wrong with that..."

Later rumour mongering in the office:

"Hey, heard the latest on Macca down in Accounts?"

"Nah?"

"He doesn't ride in from home"

"Shessh, I always though he was a bit of a freak"

"And guess what else?"

"Wot?"

"He's only got one bike - and a Kmart ****ter at that!"

(sounds of muffled giggling)

--
cfsmtb

hippy
October 11th 05, 11:30 PM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> Later rumour mongering in the office:
> "Hey, heard the latest on Macca down in Accounts?"
> "Nah?"
> "He doesn't ride in from home"
> "Shessh, I always though he was a bit of a freak"
> "And guess what else?"
> "Wot?"
> "He's only got one bike - and a Kmart ****ter at that!"
> (sounds of muffled giggling)

LOL! :D

Just take it easy with that "only got one bike" thing! :(

hippy
"Get a job ya bum!"

--
hippy

EuanB
October 12th 05, 12:39 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:

> "And guess what else?"
>
> "Wot?"
>
> "He's only got one bike - and a Kmart ****ter at that!"
>
> (sounds of muffled giggling)
*cough* I've only got one bike. 45,000 kms and counting.

--
EuanB

hippy
October 12th 05, 01:15 AM
EuanB Wrote:
> *cough* I've only got one bike. 45,000 kms and counting.

I need to find a small piece of paper with an odo reading on it so I
can work out how far I rode on my little euro vacation..

hippy
Nov 30th - Franz Ferdinand LIVE! :D

--
hippy