PDA

View Full Version : Rohloff mtb?

Euan
October 11th 05, 09:13 AM
A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )

All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of maintenance
required on a derailleur setup this winter.

So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
a good idea or a real lame duck?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Nick Payne
October 11th 05, 09:17 AM
Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive. Such bikes exist - eg
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/ravenenduro.html, which got a good
writeup in Cycling Plus some while back.

Nick

"Euan" > wrote in message
>A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
> Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>
> All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
> heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of maintenance
> required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>
> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
> a good idea or a real lame duck?

Jack Russell
October 11th 05, 09:22 AM
Nick Payne wrote:
> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive. Such bikes exist - eg
> http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/ravenenduro.html, which got a good
> writeup in Cycling Plus some while back.
>
> Nick
Also apparently St kilda cycles will make one.

Just toured in Switzerland in company with an SJS Raven, not mountain
biking but very impressive. I do not see why it would make a good MTB!

> "Euan" > wrote in message
>
>>A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
>>Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>>
>>All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
>>heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of maintenance
>>required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>>
>>So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
>>a good idea or a real lame duck?

Resound
October 11th 05, 09:46 AM
"Nick Payne" > wrote in message
> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive. Such bikes exist -
> eg http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/ravenenduro.html, which got a
> good writeup in Cycling Plus some while back.
>
> Nick
>
> "Euan" > wrote in message
>>A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
>> Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>>
>> All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
>> heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of maintenance
>> required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>>
>> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
>> a good idea or a real lame duck?

Are there any Nexus bug equipped MTBs? Maybe build up a MTB with a Nexus
hub?

Euan
October 11th 05, 10:39 AM

Nick> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive.

Nope, that's penny wise pound poor thinking.

If I went with my original plan I'd be building a commuter around a
Surly Longhaul Trucker frame and a Rohloff hub. With all the stuff I
want to put on it I reckon it'd weigh in around about the $4k mark.

And I wouldn't have an MTB.

Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a rack
and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.

That's how I'm selling it to the CFO anyway ;-)

Nick> Such bikes exist - eg
Nick> http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/ravenenduro.html, which
Nick> got a good writeup in Cycling Plus some while back.

Mmmmm, now that looks like it's got potential. Looks like fitting a
rack is no worries and mudguards shouldn't be a problem. Easily
removable items for when I want to play <grin>
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan
October 11th 05, 10:43 AM

Euan> Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also
Euan> accomdate a rack and mudguards I've killed two birds with one
Euan> stone :-) Obviously I'd need two sets of wheels but the total
Euan> package will only be marginally more expensive than getting a
Euan> commuter /and/ an MTB.

Oops, should read `marginally more expensive and gives me a commuter
/and/ and MTB'

Brain fart.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Terry Collins
October 11th 05, 11:35 AM
Euan wrote:

> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
> a good idea or a real lame duck?

No practical experience. They sounded great until I kept on reading this
maximum torque warning and I decided nope, I couldn't not afford to
gamble that much money on my rough off road riding style; aka pedal
stomping.

Dancier
October 11th 05, 12:16 PM
Euan Wrote:
> A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
> Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>
> All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
> heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of
> maintenance
> required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>
> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
> a good idea or a real lame duck?
> --
> Cheers | ~~ __@
> Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

I was reading some comments made by a competition rider using one of
those hubs under the west gate bridge just recently. I can't remember
which forum it was on but he was raving about it and there seemed to be
a lot of interest towards that type of technology.

The only small drawback was the getting used to the shifting mechanism,
I did not really understand but they must have seven gears with a high
and low selector or something like that.

Cost was another thing as well, I suppose when you see the majority of
people using the hubs then it means go for it but at present the
derailers are still fairly cheap in comparison.

--
Dancier

Dancier
October 11th 05, 12:24 PM
Dancier Wrote:
> I was reading some comments made by a competition rider using one of
> those hubs under the west gate bridge just recently. I can't remember
> which forum it was on but he was raving about it and there seemed to be
> a lot of interest towards that type of technology.
>
> The only small drawback was the getting used to the shifting mechanism,
> I did not really understand but they must have seven gears with a high
> and low selector or something like that.
>
> Cost was another thing as well, I suppose when you see the majority of
> people using the hubs then it means go for it but at present the
> derailers are still fairly cheap in comparison.

I found the site, have a look in here.

http://tinyurl.com/argnz

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t227467-.html

--
Dancier

Random Data
October 11th 05, 12:48 PM
Terry Collins wrote:

> No practical experience. They sounded great until I kept on reading this
> maximum torque warning and I decided nope

>From memory the max torque thing is based on an input torque equivalent
to two world class trackies in sync on a tandem, and the minimum
chainring size is still quite small. It's quoted as 2.4:1, which is
32:15. According to Sheldon, using a 15 tooth sprocket gives a range
equivalent to having a cluster that goes from 60 teeth down to 11
teeth. That means using a 42 tooth chainring will give you about the
same ratios as a 27sp MTB, and 42:15 is well over 2.4:1.

Dave - who would be very tempted to use 32:12 to maximise ground
clearance

aeek
October 11th 05, 01:37 PM
Euan Wrote:

> Nick> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive.
>
> Nope, that's penny wise pound poor thinking.

http://www.brindabellachallenge.com.au/

Enter any* 3 events and go in the draw for the Rohloff hub.

*=all those with an entry fee except the Kids ride

--
aeek

SomeGuy
October 11th 05, 01:54 PM
Dancier Wrote:
> The only small drawback was the getting used to the shifting mechanism,
> I did not really understand but they must have seven gears with a high
> and low selector or something like that.

Seemed fairly simply when I rode a friends bike with one. Grab the grip
and twist, and hey presto the gears change.

--
SomeGuy

Bleve
October 11th 05, 03:02 PM
Euan wrote:

> Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a rack
> and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
> need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
> more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.

Two sets of wheels means two of the hubs, and they're the expensive
bits!

Unless you want to get a -lot- of practice building wheels :)

Peter Signorini
October 11th 05, 03:05 PM
"Bleve" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Euan wrote:
>
>> Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a rack
>> and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
>> need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
>> more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.
>
> Two sets of wheels means two of the hubs, and they're the expensive
> bits!
>
> Unless you want to get a -lot- of practice building wheels :)

Nah, just two sets of tyres, with lots of practice at tyre changing.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini
October 11th 05, 03:11 PM
"SomeGuy" > wrote in message

> Dancier Wrote:
>> The only small drawback was the getting used to the shifting mechanism,
>> I did not really understand but they must have seven gears with a high
>> and low selector or something like that.
>
> Seemed fairly simply when I rode a friends bike with one. Grab the grip
> and twist, and hey presto the gears change.

That's how it works, but a slight delay in pedalling required between 7 and
8 as the internal mech in the hub has to change across the two ratios. A
friend of mine uses the Rohloff, and it was an eye opener to watch him spin
up the climb up King Billy (near Mt Howitt) with four loaded panniers while
I struggled to walk my derailleur equipped touring MTB. He has no problems
with the torque issue in low gears either.

Cheers
Peter

Bleve
October 11th 05, 04:22 PM
Euan wrote:

> Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a rack
> and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
> need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
> more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.

Two sets of wheels means two of the hubs, and they're the expensive
bits!

Unless you want to get a -lot- of practice building wheels :)

flyingdutch
October 11th 05, 09:43 PM
Euan Wrote:
> A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
> Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>
> All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
> heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of
> maintenance
> required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>
> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped
> MTB
> a good idea or a real lame duck?
> --
> Cheers | ~~ __@
> Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

now yer talkin! altho it must be in MY size for it to be purrfect :D

If you have peoplez back home or know anyone comin over soon I would
seriously sugggest bringing one over as the cost here is rather
inflated.

--
flyingdutch

EuanB
October 11th 05, 10:58 PM
Peter Signorini Wrote:
> "Bleve" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Euan wrote:
> >
> >> Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a
> rack
> >> and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously
> I'd
> >> need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be
> marginally
> >> more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.
> >
> > Two sets of wheels means two of the hubs, and they're the expensive
> > bits!
> >
> > Unless you want to get a -lot- of practice building wheels :)
>
> Nah, just two sets of tyres, with lots of practice at tyre changing.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Oh tire changing I EXCEL at. Year round roadie commuter, tend to get
a few flats :-S

--
EuanB

EuanB
October 11th 05, 10:59 PM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> now yer talkin! altho it must be in MY size for it to be purrfect :D
>
> If you have peoplez back home or know anyone comin over soon I would
> seriously sugggest bringing one over as the cost here is rather
> inflated.
Well I do have to go to the UK for a wedding in Oct 2006. That could
work out quite well.

Thinking cap definately ON!

--
EuanB

slaw
October 12th 05, 01:29 AM
Jack Russell Wrote:
> Nick Payne wrote:
> > Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive. Such bikes
> exist - eg
> > http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/ravenenduro.html, which got a
> good
> > writeup in Cycling Plus some while back.
> >
> > Nick
> Also apparently St kilda cycles will make one.
>
> Just toured in Switzerland in company with an SJS Raven, not mountain
> biking but very impressive. I do not see why it would make a good MTB!
>

> > "Euan" > wrote in message
> >
> >>A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
> >>Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
> >>
> >>All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
> >>heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of
> maintenance
> >>required on a derailleur setup this winter.
> >>
> >>So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped
> MTB
> >>a good idea or a real lame duck?

Yes, St Kilda Cycles made up one that was reviewed in the latest BV
mag. Also Baum, Thylacine would make up a custom Rohloff equipped bike
to your specs, maybe cheaper than one of the Thorns. See the Cheeky
Monkey website for some pics of some Rohloff equipped bikes including a
dreamy Baum (jbcycles)

You could look at getting a single speed frame such as a Surly or On
One especially if it has an eccentric bottom bracket so that you don't
need the chain tensioner. Or a Surly Karate Monkey which has horizontal
dropouts, though there are issues setting up the brakes (disks or Vs)
when you adjust the chain length. It's a 29er frame so you could run
700c wheels/tyres or fatter 29" mtb tyres (if you can get them).

From what I've heard that people who try Rohloffs out for mtb riding,
touring, commuting or whatever, rarely go back to derailleur systems.
For a straight out MTB, without issues of racks, you could use any
frame. If the frame has disk mounts, then you don't need the ugly
torque arm. If you have a custom frame, then you don't need disk mounts
or the UTA. For racks, there are racks that work with disk brakes, so
that shouldn't really be an issue.

I'm at the early stages of contemplating a Rohloff setup to replace my
tourer/commuter. If money was no object, I'd go the custom made route
given that there are at least 3 to choose from right here in Melbourne,
but that would probably be of the order of $1500 to $2000 for the frame
alone. The St Kilda Cycles bike in the BV mag is over $5500 complete.

There's a guy in Perth selling off a stack of Rohloff hubs off ebay.

--
slaw

Bikesoiler
October 12th 05, 02:53 AM
Euan Wrote:
> A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
> Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>
> All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
> heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of
> maintenance
> required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>
> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped
> MTB
> a good idea or a real lame duck?
> --
> Cheers | ~~ __@
> Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

Hmmm...
Limited funds,
needs an MTB,
sick of gear maintenance,
rides 300km per week.....
the answer is simple....

Singlespeed MTB! :cool:
Build a cheap SS convert MTB & keep saving for your Rohloff commuter.
BTW what size MTB frame would you use? I'll keep a look out. :)

--
Bikesoiler

tony f
October 12th 05, 07:05 AM
"Euan" > wrote in message
> A colleague is trying to get me in to mountain biking (like 300kms
> Mon-Fri isn't enough ;-) )
>
> All well and good but I'm a man of limited funds. I've really set my
> heart on a Rholoff because I got a bit sick of the amount of maintenance
> required on a derailleur setup this winter.
>
> So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped MTB
> a good idea or a real lame duck?

Those that have them reckon they're great. I'd like one, but the initial
purchase cost is high. Rip off a few XTR (hell, even LX) derailleurs and
hangers, and you might rethink the high price issue... ;^)

Tony F

Harry Tuttle
October 12th 05, 08:17 AM
"Euan" > wrote in message

> Nick> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive.
>
> Nope, that's penny wise pound poor thinking.
>
> If I went with my original plan I'd be building a commuter around a
> Surly Longhaul Trucker frame and a Rohloff hub. With all the stuff I
> want to put on it I reckon it'd weigh in around about the $4k mark.
>
> And I wouldn't have an MTB.
>
> Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a rack
> and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
> need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
> more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.

http://www.velosmith.com.au/juta.html Might do it

Parbs
October 12th 05, 09:09 AM
"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

> Euan Wrote:
> >
> > So the can I have my cake and eat it too question: Rohloff equipped
> > MTB a good idea or a real lame duck?
> > --
> now yer talkin! altho it must be in MY size for it to be purrfect :D
>
> If you have peoplez back home or know anyone comin over soon I would
> seriously sugggest bringing one over as the cost here is rather
> inflated.

Rohloff Equipped 29" Mt Bike. Say a Karate Monkey Frame. With a spare rear SS wheel for when you want to have some real fun.

Parbs

Jack Russell
October 12th 05, 09:23 AM
Harry Tuttle wrote:

>> Nick> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>Nope, that's penny wise pound poor thinking.
>>
>>If I went with my original plan I'd be building a commuter around a
>>Surly Longhaul Trucker frame and a Rohloff hub. With all the stuff I
>>want to put on it I reckon it'd weigh in around about the $4k mark.
>>
>>And I wouldn't have an MTB.
>>
>>Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a rack
>>and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
>>need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
>>more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.
>

> http://www.velosmith.com.au/juta.html Might do it

Can you guys cut this out, it is getting more and more tempting. I was
rationalising - SJS is in the UK, all too hard (until my next trip) but
made in OZ!!

slaw
October 13th 05, 02:32 AM
Jack Russell Wrote:
> Harry Tuttle wrote:

> >> Nick> Rohloff hub and limited funds are mutually exclusive.
> >>
> >>Nope, that's penny wise pound poor thinking.
> >>
> >>If I went with my original plan I'd be building a commuter around a
> >>Surly Longhaul Trucker frame and a Rohloff hub. With all the stuff I
> >>want to put on it I reckon it'd weigh in around about the $4k mark.
> >>
> >>And I wouldn't have an MTB.
> >>
> >>Now if I can get a Rohloff equipped MTB which can also accomdate a
> rack
> >>and mudguards I've killed two birds with one stone :-) Obviously I'd
> >>need two sets of wheels but the total package will only be marginally
> >>more expensive than getting a commuter /and/ an MTB.
> >

> > http://www.velosmith.com.au/juta.html Might do it
> >

> Can you guys cut this out, it is getting more and more tempting. I was
> rationalising - SJS is in the UK, all too hard (until my next trip) but
> made in OZ!!
Drool! Where is this guy based? Anyone seen one in the flesh?

--
slaw

cogcontrol
October 15th 05, 03:33 AM
slaw Wrote:
> Drool! Where is this guy based? Anyone seen one in the flesh?
I have done nearly 5000km now on my Rohloff 26" wheel
tourer/commuter/offroader, which means i am about to change the oil -
literally the first maintenance in 5000km of sand, mud and water.
I am a convert to Rohloff hubs going back to using and fiddling with
deraileur systems seems so crude.
Changing is quite different, everyone will have got used to changing
down when stompong on the pedals, you cant do that with the Rohloff, it
is necessary to back off the pressure slightly otherwise it wont change.
If you get stuck in too high a gear i.e. slowed suddenly by deep mud or
sand it is a noveltly to simply stop pedalling for a split second twist
the changer down through 3, 4 or more gears and pedal your way out of
trouble.

Cost yes perhaps an issue but as the years go by and with no vitually
no maintenance, no concerns with breaking deraileurs and or hanger
miles from nowhere, use the cheapest of chains if you like it makes no
difference as the Rohloff just keep working the amount you paid for it
will not be an issue.

I have yet another challenge now to try and wear the Rohloff out
before I die.

Cogcontrol

--
cogcontrol