PDA

View Full Version : ATB on a Fixie??

Gags
October 13th 05, 11:30 AM
Anyone ever done around the bay on a fixie???

I am thinking about having a crack at it although I am a bit concerned that
it might not be the best idea I have ever had. I am doing the clockwise
option with some guys from work....apparently we are the "Pie Warmers" and I
think we have even got some jerseys made up!!!

I have already been identified as being the main "windbreaker" (just waiting
for the inevitable fart jokes) of the group so I might be looking for some
lower gears towards the end of the day....might have to toss a coin on
Sunday morning.

At least the forecast is looking good.

Ride On,

Gags

Bleve
October 13th 05, 11:55 PM
Gags wrote:
> Anyone ever done around the bay on a fixie???

I'll be the first ...

"you idiot!"

That's what you wanted to read, right? :)

Marx SS
October 14th 05, 12:47 AM
I think the ‘bay ride is the sort of event that riding a fixie would be
really saying something to a great many people.

--
Marx SS

PiledHigher
October 14th 05, 12:51 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> Gags wrote:
> > Anyone ever done around the bay on a fixie???
>
> I'll be the first ...
>
> "you idiot!"
>
> That's what you wanted to read, right? :)

Definitely do-able, its very flat. I've thought about using one for the
ironman.

Only assumption is that you have been riding it a decent amount. The
FR's are the only times I go longer than my commute fixed but no
noticeable difference in fatigue after 60ks compared with the other
road bikes.

Only issue will be if there are very strong winds and you end up
grinding at a low speed.

Oppie won paris brest paris on a 69".

PiledHigher

--
PiledHigher

sinus
October 14th 05, 12:53 AM
Marx SS Wrote:
> I think the ‘bay ride is the sort of event that riding a fixie would be
> really saying something to a great many people.
It would, but what would it be?

While it is flat in some parts, there are still some rises to consider,
like Olivers hillock. Also a few after that and more between Queenscliff
and Geelong. Not a big deal with gears, but I'd consider some walking
shoes with a fixie.

--
sinus

Marx SS
October 14th 05, 01:27 AM
If I had one I would think it would be an intresting experience.
Afterall there were a few penny farthings in the late ‘90s do the ‘bay
ride, they’re fixies aren’t they?

--
Marx SS

sinus
October 14th 05, 01:38 AM
Marx SS Wrote:
> If I had one I would think it would be an intresting experience.
> Afterall there were a few penny farthings in the late ‘90s do the ‘bay
> ride, they’re fixies aren’t they?
No doubt an interesting experience. I would still think some shoes for
the hills (or SPDs).

I would personally start a bit smaller than 210. Maybe the 100 ride.

I found the hills beyond Queenscliff (non-flat bits with a bit of wind
really) to be close to heart breaking and that was with gears. That was
2003 though. They would have finished me off on a fixie.

--
sinus

flyingdutch
October 14th 05, 01:42 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:
> Definitely do-able, its very flat. I've thought about using one for the
> ironman.
>
> Only assumption is that you have been riding it a decent amount. The
> FR's are the only times I go longer than my commute fixed but no
> noticeable difference in fatigue after 60ks compared with the other
> road bikes.
>
> Only issue will be if there are very strong winds and you end up
> grinding at a low speed.
>
> Oppie won paris brest paris on a 69".
>
> PiledHigher

Not sure it's a great idea for a first long-fixie ride, Gags

I'll definetely be in a Fixie-ATB team next year tho!!!!
Who's in??????????????? (I'l ltuck in behind Gags :D )

I'd be thinking definetely a flip-flop jobbie,
just so you can use a 60's gear (or even lower altho chain-tension
might govern this?) for the hilly bits
and maybe a high 70's/80's for the flats

"Oppie won paris brest paris on a 69"
that guy is a GOD!

Mr Tonkin, ex BV staffer, Audaxer-extraordinaire (longtime org'er for
Alpine) and now werkin at UNO apparently is doin the next PBP on a
fixie.
respect.

--
flyingdutch

PiledHigher
October 14th 05, 01:48 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> I'll definetely be in a Fixie-ATB team next year tho!!!!
> Who's in??????????????? (I'l ltuck in behind Gags :D )

That sounds like a challenge count me in!

Sinus - the gear I ride is the equivalent of something like 39/16 I
can't imagine that there are many hills you couldn't get up on that.

--
PiledHigher

Dancier
October 14th 05, 01:49 AM
Gags Wrote:
> Anyone ever done around the bay on a fixie???
>
> I am thinking about having a crack at it although I am a bit concerned
> that
> it might not be the best idea I have ever had. I am doing the clockwise
> option with some guys from work....apparently we are the "Pie Warmers"
> and I
> think we have even got some jerseys made up!!!
>
> I have already been identified as being the main "windbreaker" (just
> waiting
> for the inevitable fart jokes) of the group so I might be looking for
> some
> lower gears towards the end of the day....might have to toss a coin on
> Sunday morning.
>
> At least the forecast is looking good.
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags
Go for it.

There are probably quite a few people that use fixies for around the
bay. An Audax guy did the Mad ride on a fixie and he said there were
two guys that did the Paris Brest Paris on fixies last time he was
there.

--
Dancier

Shabby
October 14th 05, 02:12 AM
Our local waste of paper had an article of a dude who's doing it on a
scooter this year...... now that's a long day.....

--
Shabby

Andrew
October 14th 05, 02:18 AM
If 3 people could complete the Furnace Creek 508 on fixies (42x16/42x15 were
two ratios used), ATB is probably possible too. Apparently every fixed rider
that's attempted the race has finished.

Insane, 10.7km of cumulative elevation gain, course profile at the bottom of
this page:
http://www.the508.com/route/index.html

Andrew.

"Marx SS" > wrote in message

> If I had one I would think it would be an intresting experience.
> Afterall there were a few penny farthings in the late '90s do the 'bay
> ride, they're fixies aren't they?
>

> --
> Marx SS

Parbs
October 14th 05, 02:33 AM
"Bleve" wrote in message ...

> I'll be the first ...
>
> "you idiot!"
>
> That's what you wanted to read, right? :)

That's right, I think he'll definitely doing fixed now.

Parbs

sinus
October 14th 05, 03:31 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:
> That sounds like a challenge count me in!
>
> Sinus - the gear I ride is the equivalent of something like 39/16 I
> can't imagine that there are many hills you couldn't get up on that.
Agree with that (though not in my current state of fitness). Might be
fun going down some.

--
sinus

Rory Williams
October 14th 05, 04:39 AM

--
Rory Williams

craigster_jd
October 14th 05, 05:38 AM
Shabby Wrote:
> Our local waste of paper had an article of a dude who's doing it on a
> scooter this year...... now that's a long day.....

Yeah - seen that guy out and about quite a bit.

I actually can't see the attraction with the scooter, although he raves
about it in the article. It looks far too uncomfortable and inefficient.

--
craigster_jd

flyingdutch
October 14th 05, 06:46 AM

--
flyingdutch

PiledHigher
October 14th 05, 06:48 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> the trick is, to ride fixed in a fixed group. stay away from others cos
> they either freewheel or brake, or just darned float aboot!

Soiler found that one out with the SS at FR3!

--
PiledHigher

cfsmtb
October 14th 05, 06:54 AM
Shabby Wrote:
> Our local waste of paper had an article of a dude who's doing it on a
> scooter this year...... now that's a long day.....

A Finnish chap did a PBP on a scooter, and that's at least 980km longer
than the ATB! Oh, and there's mention of fixies too.. :eek:
http://www.rusa.org/newsletter/07-02-09.html

--
cfsmtb

roses
October 14th 05, 07:04 AM
AND that guy apparently did it on a penny farthing a few years back

Meeba
October 14th 05, 09:34 AM
roses Wrote:
> AND that guy apparently did it on a penny farthing a few years back

that may be phil from alltrails,
http://www.alltrails.com.au/general_aboutus.php

--
Meeba

Resound
October 14th 05, 02:03 PM
"Andrew" > wrote in message
> If 3 people could complete the Furnace Creek 508 on fixies (42x16/42x15
> were two ratios used), ATB is probably possible too. Apparently every
> fixed rider that's attempted the race has finished.
>
> Insane, 10.7km of cumulative elevation gain, course profile at the bottom
> of this page:
> http://www.the508.com/route/index.html
>
> Andrew.
>
> "Marx SS" > wrote in message
>>
>> If I had one I would think it would be an intresting experience.
>> Afterall there were a few penny farthings in the late '90s do the 'bay
>> ride, they're fixies aren't they?
>>

>> --
>> Marx SS

Wow...what sort of gradients do they actually hit? And while most of it
looks nasty, that downhill at the 210-220 mile mark looks like fun, although
perhaps not on a fixie.

Resound
October 14th 05, 02:07 PM
"roses" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> AND that guy apparently did it on a penny farthing a few years back

The Mont 24H on a penny-farthing...now THAT would be worth seeing!

flyingdutch
October 17th 05, 12:46 AM
So, Gags. did ya, di ya.? huh, huh, huh???

Just recieved this RR from a clubmate who did!

"After years of talking about it I finally did it and completed the
around the bay in a day on my track bike.

The biggest decision was the gear to ride. The gear needed to be big
enough to keep up with the pack on the flat, but small enough to be
able to get over the Frankston/ Mornington hills and to push into a
head wind. This meant a ration between 76 ~ 90 inches.

I thought about taking a selection of chain rings and changing them
dependent on conditions, but I thought that would be against the spirit
of the fixie. So I bit the bullet and chose an 86” gear. In hindsight I
could have bumped it up to 88.

Anyway, brilliant weather, great company made it a very nice ride.
Thanks also to GRS for providing some additional training kms.

Stuart Vaughan"

Those who know Stu, know he's built like the proverbial and a damn
strong rider. not sure if us 'mere mortal fixers' could manage an 86"
tho :eek:

--
flyingdutch

TimC
October 17th 05, 01:42 AM
On 2005-10-16, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
> I thought about taking a selection of chain rings and changing them
> dependent on conditions, but I thought that would be against the spirit
> of the fixie. So I bit the bullet and chose an 86” gear. In hindsight I
> could have bumped it up to 88.
>
> Anyway, brilliant weather, great company made it a very nice ride.
> Thanks also to GRS for providing some additional training kms.
>
> Stuart Vaughan"
>
> Those who know Stu, know he's built like the proverbial and a damn
> strong rider. not sure if us 'mere mortal fixers' could manage an 86"
> tho :eek:

I take it he didn't walk up any hills?

--
TimC
Black holes are where God divided by zero. -- Steven Wright

dave
October 17th 05, 07:17 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> So, Gags. did ya, di ya.? huh, huh, huh???
>
> Just recieved this RR from a clubmate who did!
>
> "After years of talking about it I finally did it and completed the
> around the bay in a day on my track bike.
>
> The biggest decision was the gear to ride. The gear needed to be big
> enough to keep up with the pack on the flat, but small enough to be
> able to get over the Frankston/ Mornington hills and to push into a
> head wind. This meant a ration between 76 ~ 90 inches.
>
> I thought about taking a selection of chain rings and changing them
> dependent on conditions, but I thought that would be against the spirit
> of the fixie. So I bit the bullet and chose an 86” gear. In hindsight I
> could have bumped it up to 88.
>
> Anyway, brilliant weather, great company made it a very nice ride.
> Thanks also to GRS for providing some additional training kms.
>
> Stuart Vaughan"
>
> Those who know Stu, know he's built like the proverbial and a damn
> strong rider. not sure if us 'mere mortal fixers' could manage an 86"
> tho :eek:

I very nearly did it on a SS.

Washed my TCR the night before, thoroughly. It was supposed to be a
sacrifice to the bike gods. Discovered my bike is in fact white not
gungy grey.

Ian knocks on door. we go to take off. I cannot change gear.

Took a bit to sort. We were a little late setting off

Now that I have sold the TREK the only other option was to see if Kath
would loan me hers.. and if I can actually fit on it. Something I must
check for future reference

Dave

suzyj
October 17th 05, 07:49 AM
cfsmtb wrote:

> A Finnish chap did a PBP on a scooter, and that's at least 980km
> longer than the ATB! Oh, and there's mention of fixies too.. :eek:

A couple of people on the fixed-wheel mailing list just did the Furnace
Creek 508 fixed. 800km, with some pretty serious hills.

Awesome, I reckon.

See http://www.the508.com/

Cheers,

Suzy