PDA

View Full Version : Pedal hitting derailleur

Fred
October 14th 05, 02:35 AM
Discovered that my right pedal is just clipping the bottom of the front
derailleur, making a clicking noise.

The shifting is now working great, so I'm not sanguine about changing the
adjustment.

Would it be safe to just push it over with my hand a millimeter?

I think it got bent a little when I took it in for new tires a week ago.

Thanks!

Freddy

Peter McCallum
October 14th 05, 02:44 AM
Fred > wrote:

> Discovered that my right pedal is just clipping the bottom of the front
> derailleur, making a clicking noise.
>
> The shifting is now working great, so I'm not sanguine about changing the
> adjustment.
>
> Would it be safe to just push it over with my hand a millimeter?
>
> I think it got bent a little when I took it in for new tires a week ago.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Freddy

If the derrailleur is bent then you'll probably need to get a new one.
If not, there should be two limiting screws on the derailleur, one is
usually marked "H" and the other "L". Adjust the distance that the
derailleur can move by screwing the H screw down a couple of turns. It
should be able to move just enough to allow the chain to move onto the
large chainwheel without rubbing on the right hand side of the cage.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Fred
October 14th 05, 03:00 AM
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:44:40 +1000, (Peter
McCallum) wrote:

>Fred > wrote:
>
>> Discovered that my right pedal is just clipping the bottom of the front
>> derailleur, making a clicking noise.
>>
>> The shifting is now working great, so I'm not sanguine about changing the
>> adjustment.
>>
>> Would it be safe to just push it over with my hand a millimeter?
>>
>> I think it got bent a little when I took it in for new tires a week ago.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Freddy
>
>If the derrailleur is bent then you'll probably need to get a new one.
>If not, there should be two limiting screws on the derailleur, one is
>usually marked "H" and the other "L". Adjust the distance that the
>derailleur can move by screwing the H screw down a couple of turns. It
>should be able to move just enough to allow the chain to move onto the
>large chainwheel without rubbing on the right hand side of the cage.

Thanks Peter. I was afraid of that. Thing is it's just -barely- clipping
the pedal and the shifting is nearly perfect. I wonder if you can buy just
that piece the fits over the chainring?

Freddy

GPLama
October 14th 05, 03:06 AM
Trolling? - rec.bicycles.racing - same post - same host - different name -
more garbage..

I hate the Internet more and more each day...

GPL

Peter McCallum
October 14th 05, 07:17 AM
GPLama > wrote:

> Trolling? - rec.bicycles.racing - same post - same host - different name -
> more garbage..
>
> I hate the Internet more and more each day...
>

> GPL

Yes, started to have that feeling myself after the response. Pretty lame
troll really.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Resound
October 14th 05, 02:00 PM
"GPLama" > wrote in message
. ..
> Trolling? - rec.bicycles.racing - same post - same host - different name -
> more garbage..
>
> I hate the Internet more and more each day...
>

> GPL

Ok, the name thing is odd, but the post itself isn't trollish. It comes
across to me as someone asking a question, getting an answer and then
responding to that answer quite notmally. Not contentious, not inflammatory.
Don't let The Bratt lead you into seeing trolls under every bridge.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home