PDA

View Full Version : Bending Bicycle Better

Tom Worthington
October 17th 05, 01:54 AM
I wrote 7 Sep 2005 (was: "Frame break in Dahon 2003 model "Boardwalk 6"
folding bicycle":

>The steel frame of my Dahon "Boardwalk 6", 6 speed 20" 2003 model
>folding bicycle broke in half yesterday ... there was no
>on-coming traffic and my helmet and clothing protected me from
>serious injury. ...

There wasn't a steel frame available so my Dahon Boardwalk now has the
aluminum frame of the up-market Vitesse model. This is painted a cool
looking matte black. It was repaired under warranty and I only had to
pay a small shipping charge.

Photo at
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2005/10/bending-bicycle-better.html> and
original item at
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2005/09/bending-bike-broke-frame-break-on.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617 http://www.tomw.net.au/

Jasper Janssen
October 17th 05, 02:45 AM
On 16 Oct 2005 17:54:01 -0700, "Tom Worthington" > wrote:

>There wasn't a steel frame available so my Dahon Boardwalk now has the
>aluminum frame of the up-market Vitesse model. This is painted a cool
>looking matte black. It was repaired under warranty and I only had to
>pay a small shipping charge.

Why is it acceptable to pay shipping on a warranty repair?

Jasper

BrettS
October 17th 05, 04:12 AM
Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2005 17:54:01 -0700, "Tom Worthington" > wrote:
>

>>There wasn't a steel frame available so my Dahon Boardwalk now has the
>>aluminum frame of the up-market Vitesse model. This is painted a cool
>>looking matte black. It was repaired under warranty and I only had to
>>pay a small shipping charge.
>

> Why is it acceptable to pay shipping on a warranty repair?

'cause it's cheaper than taking it back yourself...

--
BrettS

L'acrobat
October 28th 05, 01:12 AM
"BrettS" > wrote in message
u...
> Jasper Janssen wrote:
>> On 16 Oct 2005 17:54:01 -0700, "Tom Worthington" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>There wasn't a steel frame available so my Dahon Boardwalk now has the
>>>aluminum frame of the up-market Vitesse model. This is painted a cool
>>>looking matte black. It was repaired under warranty and I only had to
>>>pay a small shipping charge.
>>

>> Why is it acceptable to pay shipping on a warranty repair?
>>

> 'cause it's cheaper than taking it back yourself...

You really need to read the Warranty and Repairs brocure from the ACCC - the
seller is responsible (under the trade practices act 1974) for all warranty
returns costs.

www.accc.gov.au

BrettS
October 28th 05, 02:04 AM
L'acrobat wrote:

> "BrettS" > wrote in message
> u...
>
>>Jasper Janssen wrote:

>>>Why is it acceptable to pay shipping on a warranty repair?
>>>

>>'cause it's cheaper than taking it back yourself...
>>

> You really need to read the Warranty and Repairs brocure from the ACCC - the
> seller is responsible (under the trade practices act 1974) for all warranty
> returns costs.
>
> www.accc.gov.au

Thanks for the pointer.

Interestingly, the ACCC specifically mention *reasonable* freight costs.
Given that Mr Worthington lives in Canberra and bought the bike in
Sydney, I would imagine that a small freight charge (and he doesn't
mention how small) would be deemed reasonable.

Cheers

--
BrettS

Google