PDA

View Full Version : Touring bikes in Perth?

DeF
October 17th 05, 04:19 AM
My partner has decided that she needs a
new bike. To be used mainly for commuting
but also for fitness. I reckon a nice
touring bike would be the best all round
machine - can fit panniers, drop bars etc.
Can be adapted for other uses if need be.

However, touring set-up seems amazingly
rare here! Most of the hybrid bikes I've
seen don't have eyelets for rear rack.

Unfortunately, she's 3" shorter than me
so none of my bikes will fit...

DeF.

PS Saw a Dawes Galaxy yesterday - *without*
a Brookes saddle. Does that constitute a crime
against nature?

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

Terry Collins
October 17th 05, 04:44 AM
DeF wrote:

> However, touring set-up seems amazingly
> rare here! Most of the hybrid bikes I've
> seen don't have eyelets for rear rack.

This is a major failing if there is not a pair of sockets on the front
and rear dropouts, but attachment to the stays can be achieved by using
P clamps.

Because touring racks vary so much, it is common to have eyelets brazed
on to match your rack.

DaveB
October 17th 05, 04:57 AM
Terry Collins wrote:
> DeF wrote:
>

>>However, touring set-up seems amazingly
>>rare here! Most of the hybrid bikes I've
>>seen don't have eyelets for rear rack.
>

> This is a major failing if there is not a pair of sockets on the front
> and rear dropouts, but attachment to the stays can be achieved by using
> P clamps.
>
> Because touring racks vary so much, it is common to have eyelets brazed
> on to match your rack.

What are P clamps? Would an LBS be likely to stock them (or hardware
store)? I was thinking of using my single speed as commuter during
summer but have no eyelets for a rack. Was thinking of drilling but not
sure how well that will work on an alu frame. Clamps sound much better.

DaveB

David M
October 17th 05, 04:57 AM
DeF wrote:
> My partner has decided that she needs a
> new bike. To be used mainly for commuting
> but also for fitness. I reckon a nice
> touring bike would be the best all round
> machine - can fit panniers, drop bars etc.
> Can be adapted for other uses if need be.

4 suggestions -

(1) get an old steel bike from the bulk rubbish day and then you can
have eyelets brazed on to suit, and build up a bike from there. Try
Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers from mods and building.

(2) use a BV "free" bike. I'm guessing they have rack mounts

(3) Try Balmoral cycles in Vic Park who apparently get Fuji tourers,
but I'm thinking this could be a kinda expensive way to go. Or Mercer
Cycles in Freo who look like the kinda guys who'd have an innovative
way of doing it cheaper.

(4) Have a new frame built from scratch. Again, try Quantum Bicycle
Manufacturers.

Cheers
David M

SteveA
October 17th 05, 05:01 AM
DeF Wrote:
> My partner has decided that she needs a
> new bike. To be used mainly for commuting
> but also for fitness. I reckon a nice
> touring bike would be the best all round
> machine - can fit panniers, drop bars etc.
> Can be adapted for other uses if need be.
>
> However, touring set-up seems amazingly
> rare here! Most of the hybrid bikes I've
> seen don't have eyelets for rear rack.
>
> Unfortunately, she's 3" shorter than me
> so none of my bikes will fit...
>
> DeF.
>
> PS Saw a Dawes Galaxy yesterday - *without*
> a Brookes saddle. Does that constitute a crime
> against nature?
>
> --
> e-mail:
> To reply, you'll have to remove finger.
Someone on a.b was looking for a Fuji tourer in Perth a while back. I
suggested Balmoral Bikes in Vic Park where I have seen the odd Fuji
(but not a tourer, I admit).

I just saw that Dean Woods has Ortlieb Back Roller Classics for $235 a
pair at the moment which looks like a reasonable price.

SteveA

--
SteveA

DeF
October 17th 05, 05:06 AM
DaveB wrote:
> Terry Collins wrote:
>> DeF wrote:
>>

>>> However, touring set-up seems amazingly
>>> rare here! Most of the hybrid bikes I've
>>> seen don't have eyelets for rear rack.
>>

>> This is a major failing if there is not a pair of sockets on the front
>> and rear dropouts, but attachment to the stays can be achieved by using
>> P clamps.
>>
>> Because touring racks vary so much, it is common to have eyelets brazed
>> on to match your rack.
>
> What are P clamps? Would an LBS be likely to stock them (or hardware
> store)? I was thinking of using my single speed as commuter during
> summer but have no eyelets for a rack. Was thinking of drilling but not
> sure how well that will work on an alu frame. Clamps sound much better.
>
> DaveB

p-clamps are small "P" shaped brackets that go around
the seat stays and provide something to attach racks and
mud-guards too. (the loop of the P goes around the stay).
I got some as part of OS order recently but would be
reluctant to use them with a rack that was required to
carry any load. Fine for mudguards.

LBS should carry them. The ones I have are plastic coated
to protect the frame.

Cheers,
DeF.

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

TimC
October 17th 05, 05:31 AM
On 2005-10-17, David M (aka Bruce)
> DeF wrote:
>> My partner has decided that she needs a
>> new bike. To be used mainly for commuting
>> but also for fitness. I reckon a nice
>> touring bike would be the best all round
>> machine - can fit panniers, drop bars etc.
>> Can be adapted for other uses if need be.
>
> 4 suggestions -
<eaten>
> (2) use a BV "free" bike. I'm guessing they have rack mounts

And there will be a lot of them in Perth in a few months time.

--
TimC
If I sit here and stare at nothing long enough, people might think

David M
October 17th 05, 06:12 AM
David M wrote:
> DeF wrote:
> > My partner has decided that she needs a
> > new bike. To be used mainly for commuting
> > but also for fitness. I reckon a nice
> > touring bike would be the best all round
> > machine - can fit panniers, drop bars etc.
> > Can be adapted for other uses if need be.
>
> 4 suggestions -

And another suggestion, try quokka.com.au folr a few weeks. The current
contenders that stand out, although possibly both too big:

TOURER 59.5cm, 531ST, touring frame, 700c wheels, DTHUGI hubs, drop
bars, 24 spd, bar end shifters, LX (F) XT (R), LX cranks, cantilever
brakes, mud guards, F & R lights, F & R racks plus panniers, cat eye
computer $1500 ono. Bsndn. 9279-8135

MOUNTAIN BIKE Felt Trevisa, suit treking or touring, lge 21" frame, RST
forks, 700C wheels, 24 spd, rack, fenders, 4 mths old, as new $750.
Bsndn. 9377-1290

Cheers
David M

Terry Collins
October 17th 05, 06:22 AM
DeF wrote:

> p-clamps are small "P" shaped brackets that go around
> the seat stays and provide something to attach racks and
> mud-guards too. (the loop of the P goes around the stay).
> I got some as part of OS order recently but would be
> reluctant to use them with a rack that was required to
> carry any load. Fine for mudguards.

I toured for years with racks held on with P clamps a few decades ago.
Of course old P clamps might be better than new P clamps.

> LBS should carry them. The ones I have are plastic coated
> to protect the frame.

I'd try the hardware shop first only because they are liable to be
cheaper, but the LBS might have some the exact size if you don't want to
pad out with rubber or leco tape (electricians tape).

I'm not sure about drilling holes in a dropout though.

SteveA
October 17th 05, 06:48 AM
Terry Collins Wrote:
> DeF wrote:
>
> > p-clamps are small "P" shaped brackets that go around
> > the seat stays and provide something to attach racks and
> > mud-guards too. (the loop of the P goes around the stay).
> > I got some as part of OS order recently but would be
> > reluctant to use them with a rack that was required to
> > carry any load. Fine for mudguards.
>
> I toured for years with racks held on with P clamps a few decades ago.
> Of course old P clamps might be better than new P clamps.
>

> > LBS should carry them. The ones I have are plastic coated
> > to protect the frame.
>
> I'd try the hardware shop first only because they are liable to be
> cheaper, but the LBS might have some the exact size if you don't want
> pad out with rubber or leco tape (electricians tape).
>
> I'm not sure about drilling holes in a dropout though.

I had the opposite prob - P clips from LBS weren't big enough to go
around stays on daughter's new bike (Norco Scrambler with FAT stays).
I got clamps from the hardware shop - the sort used to fasten
irrigation tube onto fences, walls etc. They were more a U shape and I
need to bend them around but they are plastic coated and they did the
job.

STeveA

--
SteveA

Peter Signorini
October 17th 05, 08:47 AM
"DaveB" > wrote in message
u...
> Terry Collins wrote:

>> Because touring racks vary so much, it is common to have eyelets brazed
>> on to match your rack.
>
> What are P clamps? Would an LBS be likely to stock them (or hardware
> store)? I was thinking of using my single speed as commuter during summer
> but have no eyelets for a rack. Was thinking of drilling but not sure how
> well that will work on an alu frame. Clamps sound much better.

P clamps can replace the eyelets on the seat stays, but these days any half
decent LBS can fit rack eyelets with the new 'pop rivet -style' eyelets.
Will only cost $20 and half a day at the shop. A bigger concern is the
scarcity of bikes that have rack eyes on their dropouts, front in
particular. It is much more difficult to set up a replacement for these.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini
October 17th 05, 08:51 AM
"David M" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> DeF wrote:
>> My partner has decided that she needs a
>> new bike. To be used mainly for commuting
>> but also for fitness. I reckon a nice
>> touring bike would be the best all round
>> machine - can fit panniers, drop bars etc.
>> Can be adapted for other uses if need be.
>
> 4 suggestions -
>
> (1) get an old steel bike from the bulk rubbish day and then you can
> have eyelets brazed on to suit, and build up a bike from there. Try
> Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers from mods and building.
>
> (2) use a BV "free" bike. I'm guessing they have rack mounts
>
> (3) Try Balmoral cycles in Vic Park who apparently get Fuji tourers,
> but I'm thinking this could be a kinda expensive way to go. Or Mercer
> Cycles in Freo who look like the kinda guys who'd have an innovative
> way of doing it cheaper.
>
> (4) Have a new frame built from scratch. Again, try Quantum Bicycle
> Manufacturers.

(5) Surly Long Haul Trucker CroMoly frame, with all the rack/bidon eyes
you're likely to need, and build up the bike with bits of your choice. A
great touring frame.

Cheers
Peter

cogcontrol
October 17th 05, 11:04 PM
Surly Long Haul Trucker CroMoly frame, with all the rack/bidon eyes
you're likely to need, and build up the bike with bits of your choice.
great touring frame.

The Long Haul Trucker is a great frame but is a pure loaded touring
bike with long chain stays and touring geometry. You may like something
that can still carry a small load but it much nippier. Try
www.velosmith.com.au

CC

--
cogcontrol

Graeme Dods
October 18th 05, 06:17 AM
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:19:41 +0800, DeF wrote:

> Unfortunately, she's 3" shorter than me
> so none of my bikes will fit...

UNfortunately? Count yourself lucky, I know a few cycling couples where one
goes to the shed to take out their favourite bike/trike only to find it's
departed with the other half ten minutes earlier. It also means that you
get twice the "new toy" buying capabilities (budget allowed). :-)

Graeme

till!
October 18th 05, 12:15 PM
> (4) Have a new frame built from scratch. Again, try Quantum Bicycle
> Manufacturers.

(5) Surly Long Haul Trucker CroMoly frame, with all the rack/bidon
eyes
you're likely to need, and build up the bike with bits of your choice.
great touring frame.
In spain on (4), while my partner is on (5) *from* Quantum. Actually if
you dont want to shell out for a custom frame, quantum can, and have,
built up at least 3 of the long haul truckers Im aware of. Couldnt
recommend them high enough, say hi from me =)

till

--
till!

Google