PDA

View Full Version : terrorism and cycling

dave
October 17th 05, 11:44 AM
Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
without of course the geneva convention applying

And then today this came to light.

Hmmmmm

aeek
October 17th 05, 12:19 PM
dave Wrote:
> Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
> police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
> powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
> were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
> without of course the geneva convention applying
>
> And then today this came to light.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>
> Hmmmmm

Good to see someone cracking down on peds in bike-only lanes.

Guess you wouldn't want to get a flat riding through there.

--
aeek

MikeyOz
October 17th 05, 12:21 PM
dave Wrote:
> Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
> police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
> powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
> were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
> without of course the geneva convention applying
>
> And then today this came to light.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>
> Hmmmmm

:eek:
what is that classic line from all of the politicians, we cannot let
Terrorists change our lives..... maybe they have aleady won.

--
MikeyOz

cfsmtb
October 17th 05, 01:07 PM
MikeyOz Wrote:
> :eek:
> what is that classic line from all of the politicians, we cannot let
> Terrorists change our lives..... maybe they have aleady won.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we
have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror
which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In
every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and
vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people
themselves which is essential to victory."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

--
cfsmtb

dave
October 17th 05, 01:11 PM
aeek wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
>>police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
>>powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
>>were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
>>without of course the geneva convention applying
>>
>>And then today this came to light.
>>
>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>>
>>Hmmmmm
>

> Good to see someone cracking down on peds in bike-only lanes.
>
> Guess you wouldn't want to get a flat riding through there.

Well yeah but their is cracking down and then cracking down.
I mean fair enough if she was driving and turning with a mobile in her
hand, but at worse this deserves a severe spanking :)

dave
October 17th 05, 01:12 PM
MikeyOz wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
>>police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
>>powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
>>were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
>>without of course the geneva convention applying
>>
>>And then today this came to light.
>>
>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>>
>>Hmmmmm
>

> :eek:
> what is that classic line from all of the politicians, we cannot let
> Terrorists change our lives..... maybe they have aleady won.

Do you really doubt that. **** the bombs killed about 2 days worth of
the road toll in the UK.

Terry Collins
October 17th 05, 01:27 PM
dave wrote:

> Do you really doubt that. **** the bombs killed about 2 days worth of
> the road toll in the UK.

And the classic reply from misc.survivalism to this line is "but they
chose to be on the roads". {:-).

Wonder if the USA will withdrawn from Iraq before their casualties top
the 9/11 casuaties?

dave
October 17th 05, 01:46 PM
Terry Collins wrote:
> dave wrote:
>

>>Do you really doubt that. **** the bombs killed about 2 days worth of
>>the road toll in the UK.
>

> And the classic reply from misc.survivalism to this line is "but they
> chose to be on the roads". {:-).
>
> Wonder if the USA will withdrawn from Iraq before their casualties top
> the 9/11 casuaties?

Hmmm. I,m not particulary anti military intervention. Not so sure
about Iraq. Not really the point I was making tho.

dave
October 17th 05, 01:47 PM
cfsmtb wrote:
> MikeyOz Wrote:
>
>>:eek:
>>what is that classic line from all of the politicians, we cannot let
>>Terrorists change our lives..... maybe they have aleady won.
>

> "So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we
> have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror
> which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In
> every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and
> vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people
> themselves which is essential to victory."
> - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wow
Impressed

Dave

October 17th 05, 09:00 PM
dave wrote:
> Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
> police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
> powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
> were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
> without of course the geneva convention applying
>
> And then today this came to light.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>
> Hmmmmm

Stupidity is its own reward and the woman was stupid. Gate, guard
gives warning, harbour master gives warning and then the police arrive.
Sheese

The UK legislation is draconian and probably unnecessary but how stupid
does one have to be to get arrested when people are tellig you to stop?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Kim
October 17th 05, 09:33 PM
wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
>>police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
>>powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
>>were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
>>without of course the geneva convention applying
>>
>>And then today this came to light.
>>
>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>>
>>Hmmmmm
>
> Stupidity is its own reward and the woman was stupid. Gate, guard
> gives warning, harbour master gives warning and then the police arrive.
> Sheese

its the stuff from movies...

> The UK legislation is draconian and probably unnecessary but how stupid
> does one have to be to get arrested when people are tellig you to stop?

its the complete lack of warning that is typical from the 'authorities'
in the UK. walk by there for months, then one day its illegal?

in the UK they hide the most secret in plain view. part of the culture.
i wonder what needs such security in that area?

anyhow, with paranoid governments who knows...
they don't bother with signs.

kim

dave
October 17th 05, 10:15 PM
wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
>>police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
>>powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
>>were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
>>without of course the geneva convention applying
>>
>>And then today this came to light.
>>
>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>>
>>Hmmmmm
>

> Stupidity is its own reward and the woman was stupid. Gate, guard
> gives warning, harbour master gives warning and then the police arrive.
> Sheese
>
> The UK legislation is draconian and probably unnecessary but how stupid
> does one have to be to get arrested when people are tellig you to stop?
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Nah I,m not going along with that. SHe wasnt the only one being
stupid. And one could argue its our duty to resist stupid laws.

On the other hand she WAS walking on a cycle path.

But the bit that bothers me is that this is the UK.. one time bastion of
freedom.

Sara Kirk
October 17th 05, 10:34 PM
In article >, dave
> wrote:

> Nah I,m not going along with that. SHe wasnt the only one being
> stupid. And one could argue its our duty to resist stupid laws.
>
> On the other hand she WAS walking on a cycle path.
>
> But the bit that bothers me is that this is the UK.. one time bastion of
> freedom.

Morning mate!

Whether or not the rule was stupid, she can hardly be claim to be
surprised when arrested, having been told several times to go back.
Lucky she wasn't shot. In the article it says she was told to stop
laughing at the police - that probably did as much harm as the rest.

I may end up moving down your way after all.

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

dave
October 17th 05, 10:49 PM
Sara Kirk wrote:
> In article >, dave
> > wrote:
>

>>Nah I,m not going along with that. SHe wasnt the only one being
>>stupid. And one could argue its our duty to resist stupid laws.
>>
>>On the other hand she WAS walking on a cycle path.
>>
>>But the bit that bothers me is that this is the UK.. one time bastion of
>>freedom.
>

> Morning mate!
>
> Whether or not the rule was stupid, she can hardly be claim to be
> surprised when arrested, having been told several times to go back.
> Lucky she wasn't shot. In the article it says she was told to stop
> laughing at the police - that probably did as much harm as the rest.
>
> I may end up moving down your way after all.

Mmmmmm Morning.
Being able to laugh at the coppers is the one hallmark of a sane
society. (Of course that was what got her arrested; the cops like the
rest of us dont like being told they is stupid. And when they actually
are ; its much worse) But common sense did prevail. She wasnt
actually charged. (well they were not proceded with anyway.)

I told you about my being detained by the superb investigative team of
King Lake police. Spent a fairish time laughing at them too :) And I
still tell that story at every opotunity.

On the other hand perhaps she WAS lucky not to be shot.

The cops deserve our respect. Seriously. Exept when they don;t. But
when with dedication and hard work they set out to earn our horror and
ridicule then they deserve that too. Which brings me back to being
able to laugh at the .......

And you are welcome. God knows we need decent apple people. Finding a
bright one here is hard work., In the country of the blind..

And of course we would love to see you at the Goat.

Dave

Ray Peace
October 17th 05, 11:47 PM
Terry Collins wrote:
> dave wrote:
>

>>Do you really doubt that. **** the bombs killed about 2 days worth of
>>the road toll in the UK.
>

> And the classic reply from misc.survivalism to this line is "but they
> chose to be on the roads". {:-).
>
> Wonder if the USA will withdrawn from Iraq before their casualties top
> the 9/11 casuaties?
Greetings,
Probably not, they didn't in Vietnam. George ****** Bush said
yesterday, `Democracies are peaceful nations'. Perhaps this is why the
US has been involved in various wars on a regular ongoing basis,
including a number that were initiated by the US purely for domestic
political reasons. These turkeys never learn.
Regards,
Ray.

vaudegiant
October 18th 05, 01:04 AM
dave Wrote:
> Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
> police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
> powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
> were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
> without of course the geneva convention applying
>
> And then today this came to light.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html
>
> Hmmmmm

On the one hand ("year-round tan, long blonde hair"), what's the
problem with her being anywhere. On the other hand ("designer
clothes.....property developer")....maybe she should have been shot on
sight.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Terry Collins
October 18th 05, 03:19 AM
wrote:

> The UK legislation is draconian and probably unnecessary but how stupid
> does one have to be to get arrested when people are tellig you to stop?

You might like to check out the legistlation pertaining to port security
here. Oh wait, you're a Canadian. Well Oz now has the self same legislation.

And to think that I as a child walked all over the wharves picking up
contraband {:-).

Terry Collins
October 18th 05, 03:31 AM
Sara Kirk wrote:
> In the article it says she was told to stop
> laughing at the police - that probably did as much harm as the rest.

Yep, they tend to get ****ed about that, but if they want to try and
bluff, then they have to expect the bluff to be called occassionally.

> I may end up moving down your way after all.

Better be fast, the UK model is greatly admired by our government. It
might beat you here.

Graeme Dods
October 18th 05, 06:13 AM
On 17 Oct 2005 13:00:08 -0700, wrote:
> Stupidity is its own reward and the woman was stupid. Gate, guard
> gives warning, harbour master gives warning and then the police arrive.
> Sheese
>
> The UK legislation is draconian and probably unnecessary but how stupid
> does one have to be to get arrested when people are tellig you to stop?
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

And you came all the way over from uk.rec.cycling to share that view here
too? Not that I disagree with you, though it does make you sound like a bit
of a stirrer ;-)

Graeme

Sara Kirk
October 18th 05, 06:51 AM
In article

, Terry Collins > wrote:

> > I may end up moving down your way after all.
>
> Better be fast, the UK model is greatly admired by our government. It
> might beat you here.

Curses! Foiled again.

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

Kim
October 18th 05, 10:00 PM
vaudegiant wrote:
> dave Wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I was reading that in the UK a report was ordered on relative
>>police powers regarding terrorism. It was expected to show that UK
>>powers of arrest without charge were mild. It in fact found that they
>>were by far the toughest in Europe. 3 months without charge and
>>without of course the geneva convention applying
>>
>>And then today this came to light.
>>
>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1829289,00.html

> On the one hand ("year-round tan, long blonde hair"), what's the
> problem with her being anywhere. On the other hand ("designer
> clothes.....

yeah, fashion victims .. cause a lot more problems than they solve.

> property developer")....maybe she should have been shot on
> sight.

quote from werk yesterday "go and be beuatiful and pretencious somewhere
else"

cheers,

Kim

Google