PDA

View Full Version : Age letters 18/10

cfsmtb
October 17th 05, 04:46 PM
The Age letters page - good one from Elliot (& fellow YarraBUG'er) and
another one from someone who wasn't too happy about some ATB'ers
antics...
http://theage.com.au/letters/index.html

Time to get on your bike, Geoff!
Labelling the thousands of Melbourne's commuter bicyclists as "weirdos"
(Geoff Strong, "The New Golf", Insight, 15/10) struck me as a fairly
weird remark itself. Choosing a mode of transport that is clearly
cheaper, non-polluting, healthy and fun is weird? I would be interested
to learn what Geoff Strong's opinion of single-occupant, peak-hour
motorists is.

Strong then writes that "nearly half of the Melbourne population
confesses to regularly riding a bike for recreation or exercise".
"Confess" is another interesting choice of word: it implies there is
something wrong with choosing to bicycle. What is wrong with deciding
to use a mode of transport that is scientifically proven to increase
your life expectancy? In the age of the obesity epidemic, I would have
thought it was quite a reasonable choice.

Increasing the role of the bicycle as a mode of transport offers
outstanding benefits for Melbourne. It presents an opportunity to
transform our city into a cleaner, healthier, safer and more enjoyable
city. Geoff, it's time to get on your bike.
Elliot Fishman, director, Institute for Sensible Transport, Fairfield

2WD hoons
So you thought 4WD drivers were arrogant and conceited? Well, many of
those Round the Bay cyclists on Sunday made them look like novices.
They were downright abusive to anyone who dared to hold them up in
their quest to post a fast time. If you want to make a race of it,
boys, organise a separate event on another day, but allow the ordinary
mums, dads and kiddies to enjoy the challenge of a long ride without
having to be on the receiving end of your abuse. It's meant to be a fun
day.
John Brooke, Ringwood

--
cfsmtb

ghostgum
October 18th 05, 02:12 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> The Age letters page - good one from Elliot (& fellow YarraBUG'er) and
> another one from someone who wasn't too happy about some ATB'ers
> antics...
> http://theage.com.au/letters/index.html

> 2WD hoons
> So you thought 4WD drivers were arrogant and conceited? Well, many of
> those Round the Bay cyclists on Sunday made them look like novices.
> They were downright abusive to anyone who dared to hold them up in
> their quest to post a fast time. If you want to make a race of it,
> boys, organise a separate event on another day, but allow the ordinary
> mums, dads and kiddies to enjoy the challenge of a long ride without
> having to be on the receiving end of your abuse. It's meant to be a fun
> day.
> John Brooke, Ringwood

John Brooke doesn't say what he did to provoke that response.
Most likely he either passed too close to a cyclist, or tried
to push them off the road when he wanted to turn.
Some hints on lane changing that work with bikes and cars.
Match speed with adjacent lane, opposite a gap.
Signal with indicator.
Wait until traffic in adjacent lane has seen your indicator.
Slowly move into the adjacent lane.
And finally, don't brake as soon as your are in the new lane.

--
ghostgum

alison_b
October 18th 05, 02:16 AM
ghostgum Wrote:
> John Brooke doesn't say what he did to provoke that response.
> Most likely he either passed too close to a cyclist, or tried
> to push them off the road when he wanted to turn.
> Some hints on lane changing that work with bikes and cars.
> Match speed with adjacent lane, opposite a gap.
> Signal with indicator.
> Wait until traffic in adjacent lane has seen your indicator.
> Slowly move into the adjacent lane.
> And finally, don't brake as soon as your are in the new lane.
I thought it sounded like Brooke was a rider on ATB and some fellow
riders weren't showing due care for the fact that they were in a ride
with a wide range of abilities.

ali

--
alison_b

cfsmtb
October 18th 05, 02:17 AM
ghostgum Wrote:
> John Brooke doesn't say what he did to provoke that response.

Also John Brooke doesn't say whether he was;
a). Driver of vehicle or
b). ATB participant

Or do I need that morning coffee to provoke the synapses.

--
cfsmtb

ghostgum
October 18th 05, 02:50 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> Also John Brooke doesn't say whether he was;
> a). Driver of vehicle or
> b). ATB participant
>
> Or do I need that morning coffee to provoke the synapses.
Ok, on second reading it does sound more like John was a cyclist.
So with the letter title being "2WD hoons", were the offensive
cyclists on tricycles? If on bicycles, perhaps it should be "1WD
hoons".

--
ghostgum

EuanB
October 18th 05, 05:51 AM
alison_b Wrote:
> I thought it sounded like Brooke was a rider on ATB and some fellow
> riders weren't showing due care for the fact that they were in a ride
> with a wide range of abilities.
>
> ali

That's how I read it and I think he has a fair point. Personally I
didn't experience any `get out of the way' behaviour but I've no doubt
that it happened. Roadies are supposed to be the experienced ones so
they should be extra careful in an event with mixed abilities. Duty of
care from the stronger to the weaker etc etc.

Personally I had a blast, a great day.

--
EuanB

Marx SS
October 18th 05, 11:10 AM
I must admit during the ride down to Sorrento there were a few passing
opportunities that saw me way over on the incorrect side of the road
due to the 2 or 3 abreast riding buddies discussing
life/universe/everything, but it's the time for that sort of thing
during the ATB. In fact I mentioned to a mate (as we rode abreast
[oops] ) that it was a rare thing to ride such a major road right in
the middle of the lane for such a spell, where it was all nice & smooth
& no crap to pick out of my tyre due to the volume of bikes taking up
the lane.

--
Marx SS

Google