PDA

View Full Version : Pekas Bike: 1, Black Merc: 0

Peka
October 20th 05, 03:03 AM
*Things that make me chuckle on my commute*:
Being overtaken on a downhill by a powering roadie on an expensive
bike, only to catch him again (on my heavy, cheap arse, $500 MTB)
halfway up the next hill. Today is a recovery ride too, so I wasn't
even pushing [image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/getdown.gif]

*Thinks that make me shake my head on my commute:* [image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/groan.gif]

I GOT HIT BY A CAR [image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/eek.gif]

but it's ok, I didn't even come off [image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/dance.gif]

Was riding past Mater hospital towards the Goodwill Bridge entry. Cars
in the left lane were going walking pace so I was overtaking them on
the left hand side, there were cars parked on my left. Note that it is
completely LEGAL for a bicycle to do this. The cars start picking up
speed, then I pull alongside a new black Merc (straight away you can
guess where this is going....). I notice this Merc is getting closer to
me. Then I notice there's a vacant carpark just ahead. I'm next to the
passenger door now and I can now see the indicator flashing (which
WASN'T flashing when I went past the rear of the car).

Peka thinks "f!ck this could be interesting" and starts powering. When
I'm next to the front wheel of this Merc, I start to twist my right
foot out of the clip so I can kick the car, just as it hits me. I hear
a crunch-crunch-crunch, the car stopped and Peka is still upright
[image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/claphands.gif]

I look at my pedal (hoping I might see some black paint) - looks ok
(but no black paint).

I look at my foot/shoe. Looks OK.

I clip in - feels OK. I clip out - yep, all still in working order.

Peka continues on to work. I didn't even look back, heh. [image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/flipa.gif]

So now I'm glad I got the clipless pedals with the shingrinding
platform on one side, that crunching sounded very expensive [image:
http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/biglaugha.gif]

--
Peka

cfsmtb
October 20th 05, 03:14 AM
To those reading via a newsreader, it's worth checking out Peka's post
for his artistic interpretation of emoticons:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t293564-pekas-bike-1-black-merc-0.html

--
cfsmtb

EuanB
October 20th 05, 03:17 AM
Peka Wrote:

> Was riding past Mater hospital towards the Goodwill Bridge entry. Cars
> in the left lane were going walking pace so I was overtaking them on the
> left hand side, there were cars parked on my left. Note that it is
> completely LEGAL for a bicycle to do this. The cars start picking up
> speed, then I pull alongside a new black Merc (straight away you can
> guess where this is going....). I notice this Merc is getting closer to
> me. Then I notice there's a vacant carpark just ahead. I'm next to the
> passenger door now and I can now see the indicator flashing (which
> WASN'T flashing when I went past the rear of the car).

In that situation I'd have backed off and let him in. You can argue
that you were in the right and you were but a bit of give and take goes
a long way IMO.

> Peka thinks "f!ck this could be interesting" and starts powering. When
> I'm next to the front wheel of this Merc, I start to twist my right
> foot out of the clip so I can kick the car, just as it hits me. I hear
> a crunch-crunch-crunch, the car stopped and Peka is still upright
> [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/claphands.gif]
>
> I look at my pedal (hoping I might see some black paint) - looks ok
> (but no black paint).
>
> I look at my foot/shoe. Looks OK.
>
> I clip in - feels OK. I clip out - yep, all still in working order.
>
> Peka continues on to work. I didn't even look back, heh. [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/flipa.gif]
>
> So now I'm glad I got the clipless pedals with the shingrinding
> platform on one side, that crunching sounded very expensive [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/biglaugha.gif]
That doesn't make this any less gratifying to read though :-) Glad
you're OK.

--
EuanB

PiledHigher
October 20th 05, 03:17 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> To those reading via a newsreader, it's worth checking out Peka's post
> for his artistic interpretation of emoticons:
>
> http://www.cyclingforums.com/t293564-pekas-bike-1-black-merc-0.html

That's one way to describe it!!

--
PiledHigher

Peka
October 20th 05, 03:28 AM
EuanB Wrote:
> In that situation I'd have backed off and let him in. You can argue that
> you were in the right and you were but a bit of give and take goes a
> long way IMOSure, I'm not trying to lay blame anywhere, I probably could've backed
off but I thought I'd be able to make it before the Merc got me.

It still baffles me that the driver didn't see me on the left. I mean,
if you're pulling into a parking space ON YOUR LEFT, you'd think that's
where you'd be looking right? If there's an abundance of marked bicycle
lanes around, and quite a few bicycles in plain sight ahead, you might
also think to have a look around?

--
Peka

SteveA
October 20th 05, 03:29 AM
Peka Wrote:
> *Things that make me chuckle on my commute*:
> Being overtaken on a downhill by a powering roadie on an expensive
> bike, only to catch him again (on my heavy, cheap arse, $500 MTB)
> halfway up the next hill. Today is a recovery ride too, so I wasn't
> even pushing [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/getdown.gif]
>
> *Thinks that make me shake my head on my commute:* [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/groan.gif]
>
> I GOT HIT BY A CAR [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/eek.gif]
>
> but it's ok, I didn't even come off [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/dance.gif]
>
> Was riding past Mater hospital towards the Goodwill Bridge entry. Cars
> in the left lane were going walking pace so I was overtaking them on
> the left hand side, there were cars parked on my left. Note that it is
> completely LEGAL for a bicycle to do this. The cars start picking up
> speed, then I pull alongside a new black Merc (straight away you can
> guess where this is going....). I notice this Merc is getting closer to
> me. Then I notice there's a vacant carpark just ahead. I'm next to the
> passenger door now and I can now see the indicator flashing (which
> WASN'T flashing when I went past the rear of the car).
>
> Peka thinks "f!ck this could be interesting" and starts powering. When
> I'm next to the front wheel of this Merc, I start to twist my right
> foot out of the clip so I can kick the car, just as it hits me. I hear
> a crunch-crunch-crunch, the car stopped and Peka is still upright
> [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/claphands.gif]
>
> I look at my pedal (hoping I might see some black paint) - looks ok
> (but no black paint).
>
> I look at my foot/shoe. Looks OK.
>
> I clip in - feels OK. I clip out - yep, all still in working order.
>
> Peka continues on to work. I didn't even look back, heh. [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/flipa.gif]
>
> So now I'm glad I got the clipless pedals with the shingrinding
> platform on one side, that crunching sounded very expensive [image:
> http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/modules/Forums/images/smiles/biglaugha.gif]

Peka,

you know what you have to do now -

Go get a transfer/sticker of a Mercedes star. Place it on your top
tube at the front. As you take on more Mercedes and win, add more
stickers. Ala WW1 flying ace.

"How many kills now, Squadron Leader Peka?"

"Five now, Algernon, after I got that red Mercedes four wheel drive
this morning"

SteveA

--
SteveA

EuanB
October 20th 05, 03:45 AM
Peka Wrote:
> Sure, I'm not trying to lay blame anywhere, I probably could've backed
> off but I thought I'd be able to make it before the Merc got me.
>
> It still baffles me that the driver didn't see me on the left. I mean,
> if you're pulling into a parking space ON YOUR LEFT, you'd think that's
> where you'd be looking right? If there's an abundance of marked bicycle
> lanes around, and quite a few bicycles in plain sight ahead, you might
> also think to have a look around?

See now you're assuming that everyone's looking out for each other and
isn't a selfish fsck.

``Ooooh, nice shiny parking space. MMMIIIIIINNNNNEEEEE!'' (Eyes
fixated on target.)

That's all that goes through the heads of some people unfortunately.

--
EuanB

Terry Collins
October 20th 05, 05:05 AM
cfsmtb wrote:
> To those reading via a newsreader, it's worth checking out Peka's post
> for his artistic interpretation of emoticons:

Seriously, strip the fecking emoticons when you cross post.

TimC
October 20th 05, 08:29 AM
On 2005-10-20, Peka (aka Bruce)

> EuanB Wrote:
>> In that situation I'd have backed off and let him in. You can argue that
>> you were in the right and you were but a bit of give and take goes a
>> long way IMOSure, I'm not trying to lay blame anywhere, I probably could've backed
> off but I thought I'd be able to make it before the Merc got me.
>
> It still baffles me that the driver didn't see me on the left. I mean,
> if you're pulling into a parking space ON YOUR LEFT, you'd think that's
> where you'd be looking right? If there's an abundance of marked bicycle
> lanes around, and quite a few bicycles in plain sight ahead, you might
> also think to have a look around?

It was a bicycle lane was it?

Damn. I've seen stupid drivers, but that's pretty dumb.

Well done sir :)

--
TimC
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."

Peka
October 20th 05, 10:24 AM
TimC Wrote:
> On 2005-10-20, Peka (aka Bruce)
> >
> > EuanB Wrote:
> >> In that situation I'd have backed off and let him in. You can argue
> that
> >> you were in the right and you were but a bit of give and take goes a
> >> long way IMOSure, I'm not trying to lay blame anywhere, I probably
> could've backed
> > off but I thought I'd be able to make it before the Merc got me.
> >
> > It still baffles me that the driver didn't see me on the left. I
> mean,
> > if you're pulling into a parking space ON YOUR LEFT, you'd think
> that's
> > where you'd be looking right? If there's an abundance of marked
> bicycle
> > lanes around, and quite a few bicycles in plain sight ahead, you
> might
> > also think to have a look around?
>
> It was a bicycle lane was it?
>
> Damn. I've seen stupid drivers, but that's pretty dumb.
>
> Well done sir :)
>
> --
> TimCI don't think that particular section was a bike lane, but there are
numerous bike lanes in that general area. You know how it is, there's a
bike lane for a bit, which just ends all of a sudden, and then it starts
again somewhere down the road, maybe even on the other side of the road,
etc... I doubt it would have made any difference if it was a bike lane
anyway.

--
Peka

SomeGuy
October 20th 05, 01:49 PM
EuanB Wrote:
> In that situation I'd have backed off and let him in. You can argue
> that you were in the right and you were but a bit of give and take goes
> a long way IMO.

Sort of in the right. It all depends on when the car was indicating I
think. While cyclists can overtake on the left, they cannot do so if
the car they are overtaking is indicating left.

Oh and not stopping after a collision isn't looked on too kindly by the
law either.

Peka Wrote:
> It still baffles me that the driver didn't see me on the left. I mean,
> if you're pulling into a parking space ON YOUR LEFT, you'd think that's
> where you'd be looking right?

You might have been sitting in his/her blind spot.

--
SomeGuy

aeek
October 20th 05, 02:08 PM
SomeGuy Wrote:
> Sort of in the right. It all depends on when the car was indicating I
> think. While cyclists can overtake on the left, they cannot do so if
> the car they are overtaking is indicating left.

The actual wording of the law is signalling AND turning. For
consistency with the looney NSW speed camera ruling about numbers AND
letters on the speed camera photo that means it has to be both.

--
aeek

LotteBum
October 20th 05, 10:53 PM
The section of road Peka is talking about can be quite hairy. Even
though I'm an angry bitch, I agree with EuanB. Having said that, I'm
glad you're ok Peka.

Hopefully Black Merc driver will look out next time...

--
LotteBum

EuanB
October 21st 05, 12:32 AM
Peka Wrote:
> I don't think that particular section was a bike lane, but there are
> numerous bike lanes in that general area. You know how it is, there's a
> bike lane for a bit, which just ends all of a sudden, and then it starts
> again somewhere down the road, maybe even on the other side of the road,
> etc... I doubt it would have made any difference if it was a bike lane
> anyway.

I think the idea is that when teleportation is invented there'll be a
pad at the beginning and end of such bike lanes and we'll magically hop
from one to the other. Of course if teleportations invented, why use
any other form of transport?

So just build us useful bike lanes or don't fscking bother :-)

--
EuanB

flyingdutch
October 21st 05, 01:16 AM
EuanB Wrote:
> I think the idea is that when teleportation is invented there'll be a
> pad at the beginning and end of such bike lanes and we'll magically hop
> from one to the other. Of course if teleportations invented, why use
> any other form of transport?
>
> So just build us useful bike lanes or don't fscking bother :-)

Isnt that what governments currently think happens approx 50m either
side of an intersection?

You know. like the truth, and a conscience, they conveniently dont
exist whenever any 'intersection' or potential conflict occurs

--
flyingdutch

cfsmtb
October 21st 05, 03:59 AM
EuanB Wrote:
> I think the idea is that when teleportation is invented there'll be a
> pad at the beginning and end of such bike lanes and we'll magically hop
> from one to the other. Of course if teleportations invented, why use
> any other form of transport?
>
> So just build us useful bike lanes or don't fscking bother :-)

I've been considering a similar proposal (to council/BV/VicRoads) for
these facilities to be installed on 2x Heidelberg Road, Bell St, 4x
Chapel St (add more at whim....)

--
cfsmtb

Peka
October 21st 05, 06:19 AM
SomeGuy Wrote:
> Oh and not stopping after a collision isn't looked on too kindly by the
> law eitherAh ... yeah ... that was pointed out to me by someone else today, and
not something I'd intentionally do. I must admit I didn't even think
about it at the time, I was just glad to still be upright.

--
Peka

aeek
October 21st 05, 08:51 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Isnt that what governments currently think happens approx 50m either
> side of an intersection?
>
> You know. like the truth, and a conscience, they conveniently dont
> exist whenever any 'intersection' or potential conflict occurs

Curb bikelanes put you at the mercy of left turning and sidestreet
motors.
You are precluded from coming out to claim the lane and state "I am
going straight through this intersection".
So a mixed blessing approaching intersections.

--
aeek

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home