PDA

View Full Version : Re: how much longer have cars got anyway?

Theo Bekkers
October 21st 05, 08:49 AM
Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Marty wrote:

>> And how many deaths do we have in Australia?
>
> I don't know, do you? Maybe we live on another planet and we have no
> air pollution in Oz.

Here ya go Marty. 2400 a year according to the CSIRO. Against 1700 road
deaths. Breathing appears to be more dangerous than being on the roads. :-)
http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=PrAirPollution2

Cheers

Theo

Marty
October 21st 05, 11:28 AM
Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>>Marty wrote:
>

>>>And how many deaths do we have in Australia?
>>
>>I don't know, do you? Maybe we live on another planet and we have no
>>air pollution in Oz.
>

> Here ya go Marty. 2400 a year according to the CSIRO. Against 1700 road
> deaths. Breathing appears to be more dangerous than being on the roads. :-)
> http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=PrAirPollution2
>
> Cheers
>
> Theo

Hold on!
You were talking about deaths related to coal before and now you're
talking about all air pollution. Seperate car exhaust and pollen and
other stuff out from the coal related deaths, so we can see what the
real facts are.

Marty

Theo Bekkers
October 25th 05, 05:19 AM
Marty wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Here ya go Marty. 2400 a year according to the CSIRO. Against 1700
>> road deaths. Breathing appears to be more dangerous than being on
>> the roads. :-)
>> http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=PrAirPollution2

> Hold on!
> You were talking about deaths related to coal before and now you're
> talking about all air pollution. Seperate car exhaust and pollen and
> other stuff out from the coal related deaths, so we can see what the
> real facts are.

According to the CSIRO Stationary power generation is responsible for more
than 60% of air pollution and 84% of that is generated by burning coal. It
doesn't seem fair to think that coal is not a major factor in air pollution
deaths. And no, I don't have any specific figures to hand.

Theo

Marty
October 25th 05, 05:52 AM
Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Marty wrote:
>
>>Theo Bekkers wrote:
>

>>>Here ya go Marty. 2400 a year according to the CSIRO. Against 1700
>>>road deaths. Breathing appears to be more dangerous than being on
>>>the roads. :-)
>>>http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=mediaRelease&id=PrAirPollution2
>

>>Hold on!
>>You were talking about deaths related to coal before and now you're
>>talking about all air pollution. Seperate car exhaust and pollen and
>>other stuff out from the coal related deaths, so we can see what the
>>real facts are.
>

> According to the CSIRO Stationary power generation is responsible for more
> than 60% of air pollution and 84% of that is generated by burning coal. It
> doesn't seem fair to think that coal is not a major factor in air pollution
> deaths. And no, I don't have any specific figures to hand.
>
> Theo

But power stations are generally well away from populated areas, so
whilst they may contribute to greenhouse gases I'm sceptical that they
cause pollution that actually kills people. i'm sure there'd be an
uproar if such an incident was to happen, and there hasn't.

Marty

Theo Bekkers
October 25th 05, 06:25 AM
Marty wrote:

> But power stations are generally well away from populated areas, so
> whilst they may contribute to greenhouse gases I'm sceptical that they
> cause pollution that actually kills people. i'm sure there'd be an
> uproar if such an incident was to happen, and there hasn't.

Maybe where you live but in Perth most of the power is generated just south
of Fremantle, in a location from where the summer sea breeze gently blows
the exhaust over the whole metropolitan area. Pollution being stuff in the
air you breathe in, not a lump of coal that hits you on the head.

Theo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home