PDA

View Full Version : Strange Punctures

Bob C
October 21st 05, 12:12 PM
At 1500 km my Vittorio tubes on 23x700 tyres have punctured front and back
within weeks of each other - but both holes are on the inside of the tube
against smooth unsullied (and 19 months old) rim tape. i.e. no sign of
nipple, spoke ends or rim tape mis-alignment. Also no sign of damage to the
tyre.

What gives - I thought punctures happened because spiky things got into the
tyre!

--
Regards
Bob C

NoZX6R
October 21st 05, 12:19 PM
Bob C wrote:
> At 1500 km my Vittorio tubes on 23x700 tyres have punctured front and back
> within weeks of each other - but both holes are on the inside of the tube
> against smooth unsullied (and 19 months old) rim tape. i.e. no sign of
> nipple, spoke ends or rim tape mis-alignment. Also no sign of damage to the
> tyre.
>
> What gives - I thought punctures happened because spiky things got into the
> tyre!

What sort of rim tape is it? Do you run high pressures?

I had a series of rim tape-induced flats even though the rim tape didn't
have any holes in it.

For the sake of ~$5 I'd say replace the rim tape.

--
Nick

Bob C
October 22nd 05, 06:05 AM
Rim tape is marked Vittoria and is as white (apart from the printing) and
clean as whistle - it's only 9 months old after all - not 19 that 1 crept in
somehow.

Bob C
"NoZX6R" > wrote in message
> Bob C wrote:
>> At 1500 km my Vittorio tubes on 23x700 tyres have punctured front and
>> back within weeks of each other - but both holes are on the inside of the
>> tube against smooth unsullied (and 19 months old) rim tape. i.e. no sign
>> of nipple, spoke ends or rim tape mis-alignment. Also no sign of damage
>> to the tyre.
>>
>> What gives - I thought punctures happened because spiky things got into
>> the tyre!
>>

> What sort of rim tape is it? Do you run high pressures?
>
> I had a series of rim tape-induced flats even though the rim tape didn't
> have any holes in it.
>
> For the sake of ~$5 I'd say replace the rim tape.
>
> --
> Nick

NoZX6R
October 22nd 05, 08:34 AM
Bob C wrote:
> Rim tape is marked Vittoria and is as white (apart from the printing) and
> clean as whistle - it's only 9 months old after all - not 19 that 1 crept in
> somehow.
>
> Bob C
> "NoZX6R" > wrote in message
>
>>Bob C wrote:
>>
>>>At 1500 km my Vittorio tubes on 23x700 tyres have punctured front and
>>>back within weeks of each other - but both holes are on the inside of the
>>>tube against smooth unsullied (and 19 months old) rim tape. i.e. no sign
>>>of nipple, spoke ends or rim tape mis-alignment. Also no sign of damage
>>>to the tyre.
>>>
>>>What gives - I thought punctures happened because spiky things got into
>>>the tyre!
>>>

>>What sort of rim tape is it? Do you run high pressures?
>>
>>I had a series of rim tape-induced flats even though the rim tape didn't
>>have any holes in it.
>>
>>For the sake of ~$5 I'd say replace the rim tape.
>>
>>--
>>Nick

Bit new to be failing already then. But I can't think of any other
reason you'd be getting punctures like that.

If you don't have any success elsewhere new tape might be worth a try
anyway since it's cheap anyway.

Good luck.

--
Nick

SomeGuy
October 22nd 05, 09:25 AM
Bob C Wrote:
> At 1500 km my Vittorio tubes on 23x700 tyres have punctured front and
> back
> within weeks of each other - but both holes are on the inside of the
> tube
> against smooth unsullied (and 19 months old) rim tape. i.e. no sign of
> nipple, spoke ends or rim tape mis-alignment. Also no sign of damage
> to the
> tyre.
>
> What gives - I thought punctures happened because spiky things got into
> the
> tyre!
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob C
I got a puncture in the same place on my tube. Rim tape seemed fine,
so I just popped a new tube in. I've been riding it for a few weeks
without it doing it again.

--
SomeGuy

531Aussie
October 22nd 05, 10:08 AM
are they light tubes?

When I was using light-weight tubes (Conti 55g and Tioga 70g) I was
getting mysterious punctures were small scuff marks with tiny pin-holes
in the middle.
It got to the stage where I was gettign 2 a week!!!

I'm back to Vredestein 100g tubes and Vredestein TriComps tyres, and
I've had 1 puncture in about 8000km!!!

--
531Aussie

BruceA
October 24th 05, 02:35 AM
"Bob C" wrote
> At 1500 km my Vittorio tubes on 23x700 tyres have punctured front and
> back within weeks of each other - but both holes are on the inside of the
> tube against smooth unsullied (and 19 months old) rim tape. i.e. no sign
> of nipple, spoke ends or rim tape mis-alignment. Also no sign of damage
> to the tyre.
>
> What gives - I thought punctures happened because spiky things got into
> the tyre!

I repaired a similar puncture just yesterday. Mine was on the outside (tyre
side) of the tube. There was an almost circular patch where I could see the
tube had been rubbing on the inside of the tyre, causing a puncture. When I
pumped up the tube I could see that the tube was constricted at this point
and so it sort of folded over on itself, and it was these folded edges which
were rubbing on the inside of the tyre. Replaced the tube, and kept the
patched one for emergency spare.

BruceA

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home