PDA

View Full Version : Wrong clothing

Russell Lang
October 23rd 05, 01:19 PM
Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
and not having the right things for the occasion?

I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
shorts all day at work.

I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
the clothes he needed except for underwear.

GPLama
October 23rd 05, 01:23 PM
"Russell Lang" wrote in message ...
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
snip
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

Yep, I've had many free ball days at work... just like wearing boxers..
almost :)

cheers,
GPL

aeek
October 23rd 05, 01:53 PM
Russell Lang Wrote:
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?

I've forgotten shirt(many), undies(once), pants(once), socks(some).
Very handy working next to the mall.

--
aeek

A5Hi5M
October 23rd 05, 02:31 PM
"Russell Lang" > wrote in message
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>
> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
> shorts all day at work.
>
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

Left the underwear behind a few times .. oddly enough thats prolly the
easiest thing to get away with forgetting working in retail. Might get a
few funny looks if i wore knicks around the shop all day, but who
knows/cares if im free-balling. I rekon I could almost get away with
wearing a jersey if i had to, and i've taken to leaving shoes at work alrdy
just so I have a bit of extra room in the backpack.

Ash

cfsmtb
October 23rd 05, 03:04 PM
Russell Lang Wrote:

> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

Going commando!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going+commando

My worst was no change of socks. So what you think? Ok, it rained
mightly on my commute into work. Work was situated on the Melb docks,
in the depth of winter. Wasn't until two hours - back home - that the
circulation returned to my toes. Brutal. :(

--
cfsmtb

SteveA
October 23rd 05, 03:31 PM
Russell Lang Wrote:
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>
> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
> shorts all day at work.
>
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

My 'change into work clothes after commuting' process is:

(i) ride to work, secure bike in carpark under building;
(ii) go up to my office in bike gear;
(iii) log on, check email, check with anyone who is already in whether
there are any early morning panics;
(iv) collect up work clothes from cupboard in office, grab towel from
drying hook behind cupboard, put shoes, belt and towel in sports bag
with washing stuff like soap etc;
(v) set off for gym change room and shower - down 3 stories, through 3
different wings, past 2 security points;
(vi) return to my office in work clothes.

There is nothing like getting out of the shower in the gym changing
room and discovering that the towel is still on its hook in the office
3 floors, 3 wings and 2 security points away. And then having to
explain to the 6 others blokes in the change room why you are drying
yourself with paper towels from the dispenser next to the wash basins.

Going commando when I forget to take undies down to the showers is a
cinch in comparison.

SteveA

--
SteveA

JayWoo
October 23rd 05, 03:51 PM

--
JayWoo

DaveB
October 23rd 05, 11:33 PM
Russell Lang wrote:
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>
> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
> shorts all day at work.
>
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

One of my co-workers forgot his shoes and for some reason thought going
barefoot was a better idea than wearing his bike shoes around the
office. He certainly got a few strange looks that day.

DaveB

flyingdutch
October 23rd 05, 11:49 PM
GPLama Wrote:

> Yep, I've had many free ball days at work... just like wearing
> boxers..
> almost :)
>

> cheers,
> GPL

Bcos I delude myself into believing I am 'SuperDutch'
as cars and bitumen will bounce off me,
I wear my jocks_on_the_outside!!!

So the few times I have forgotten em, I get strange looks :S

--
flyingdutch

Duncan
October 23rd 05, 11:58 PM
GPLama wrote:
> "Russell Lang" wrote in message ...
> > Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> > and not having the right things for the occasion?
> snip
> > I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> > cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> > the clothes he needed except for underwear.
> >

> Yep, I've had many free ball days at work... just like wearing boxers..
> almost :)

As an interesting variation, I've sometimes taken my missus' underwear
by mistake (you may guess that she doesn't wear the excessively frilly
kind).

kanangara
October 24th 05, 12:11 AM
Duncan Wrote:

> As an interesting variation, I've sometimes taken my missus' underwear
> by mistake (you may guess that she doesn't wear the excessively frilly
> kind).

We guessed you normally wear excessively frilly jocks.

Parbs

--
kanangara

EuanB
October 24th 05, 12:22 AM
Russell Lang Wrote:
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?

This was before I had access to showers at work. Absolutely drenched
from a real down pour, showering at Fitness First (got cheap rates as
Suzie was already a member of the one 'round the corner.)

Pulled out shirt, no problem. Pulled out undies, no problem. Pulled
out trousers.

Trousers?

'Phone call to boss explaining I'd be late 'cause I had another 40km's
to go in order to get my trousers. This was at 07:30 so shopping not
really an option.

Back in to sodden bike clothes.

Back on the bike.

In the bloody rain.

Took the train back in.

--
EuanB

John Pitts
October 24th 05, 12:40 AM
On 2005-10-23, Russell Lang > wrote:
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?

Trousers. Once, a long time ago. Spent the morning in a *very* daggy
pair of shorts, getting odd looks from the cow-orkers.

My wife bailed me out - dropped them into work, bless her.

--
John >
(Remove hat before emailing)

PiledHigher
October 24th 05, 12:43 AM
Duncan Wrote:

> As an interesting variation, I've sometimes taken my missus' underwear
> by mistake (you may guess that she doesn't wear the excessively frilly
> kind).

'By mistake'...

Sure!

--
PiledHigher

Bean Long
October 24th 05, 12:51 AM
I have a deep-seeded fear of forgetting my underwear. Hasn't happened yet
(crosses fingers)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
"Russell Lang" > wrote in message
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>
> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
> shorts all day at work.
>
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

TimC
October 24th 05, 01:09 AM
On 2005-10-23, A5Hi5M (aka Bruce)

> "Russell Lang" > wrote in message
>> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
>> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
>> the clothes he needed except for underwear.
>
> Left the underwear behind a few times .. oddly enough thats prolly the
> easiest thing to get away with forgetting working in retail.

Or if it is noticed, I want your job :)

> Might get a
> few funny looks if i wore knicks around the shop all day, but who
> knows/cares if im free-balling.

Shy shorts work as an all day wear.

> I rekon I could almost get away with
> wearing a jersey if i had to, and i've taken to leaving shoes at work alrdy
> just so I have a bit of extra room in the backpack.

I leave jeans, jacket and shoes at work. I also leave ~ 3 pairs of
the rest of my clothes for things like BR(x), when I go back to work
and have nothing but a banana left in my jersey pockets.

--
TimC
"If geiger counter does not click, the coffee, she is just not thick."

Shabby
October 24th 05, 01:09 AM
Russell Lang Wrote:
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>
> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
> shorts all day at work.
>
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

Luckily I work in manufacturing, so when I forgot a belt, I went to the
supplies store and got some rope. When I forget my socks, I go to the
supplies store and get some socks..

--
Shabby

TimC
October 24th 05, 01:14 AM
On 2005-10-23, SteveA (aka Bruce)
> There is nothing like getting out of the shower in the gym changing
> room and discovering that the towel is still on its hook in the office
> 3 floors, 3 wings and 2 security points away. And then having to
> explain to the 6 others blokes in the change room why you are drying
> yourself with paper towels from the dispenser next to the wash basins.

We don't have luxuries like paper towel in our shower.

I am thinking of finding out who to ask to add things like soap
dispensers etc.

Hey at least we have gotten the cleaners to clean the showers now.

--
TimC
Special Relativity: The person in the other queue thinks yours is

LotteBum
October 24th 05, 01:46 AM
I usually leave a spare pair of undies in my locker. However, these
last couple of months commuting by bike has been a bit erratic, so a
couple of weeks ago I forgot I had used them and.... left my undies at
home. The worst bit was I was wearing a skirt on this particular day
and decided that I'd go and buy a new pair pretty much as soon as the
shops opened. Got to the office and I ended up being flat out all
day.... needless to say, I ended up nicely aerated.

--
LotteBum

Peka
October 24th 05, 01:58 AM
I've got a locker at work. Since I only commute 3 days a week, I shuttle
clothes back and forth on the other 2 days. I have no doubt that I'll
still manage to forget something one day :rolleyes:

--
Peka

Bleve
October 24th 05, 02:54 AM
cfsmtb wrote:
> Russell Lang Wrote:
> >

> > I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> > cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> > the clothes he needed except for underwear.
>

> Going commando!
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going+commando
>
> My worst was no change of socks. So what you think? Ok, it rained
> mightly on my commute into work. Work was situated on the Melb docks,
> in the depth of winter. Wasn't until two hours - back home - that the
> circulation returned to my toes. Brutal. :(

Cotton socks, eh?

Old ski-touring adage : "cotton kills".

PiledHigher
October 24th 05, 03:59 AM
Peka Wrote:
> I've got a locker at work. Since I only commute 3 days a week, I shuttle
> clothes back and forth on the other 2 days. I have no doubt that I'll
> still manage to forget something one day :rolleyes:

I think I've forgotten everything at least once.

Commando 1 too many times, cycling socks all day under a suit, worn a
t-shirt under my suit jacket - hawaii 50 style!, no belt with my pants
threatening to fall down.

--
PiledHigher

BruceA
October 24th 05, 04:14 AM
"Russell Lang" wrote
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?

Had to go commando on a couple of occasions.

BruceA

coowoowoo
October 24th 05, 04:19 AM
Yep, forgotten the undies once. Then, like. Lotte, made a stockpile in
the locker only to find that i had slowly used them so hence got caught
out again.
I was found loitering around best and less at 9.00am waiting to buy a
pair of undies. It was very "airy" wandering around town.
I also forgot the towel whilst doing a change over. No paper towels in
our work area so i had to try and dry myself with my socks,cycling top
and knicks.
On a similar theme, got caught out once and only ONCE... wearing a
white t-shirt and a sort of see through nude bra.. Heavens opened up
and i got soaked. Nothing to change into so i rode about 25 k's in the
rain with 3 male cyclists mates. It was the best ride they had and i
still havent lived it down. Oh, and i am quite well endowed in that
department so apparently it was quite the show for them. Sigh..

--
coowoowoo

cfsmtb
October 24th 05, 05:15 AM
Bleve Wrote:

> Cotton socks, eh?
>
> Old ski-touring adage : "cotton kills".

Nah, Explorers.

--
cfsmtb

DaveB
October 24th 05, 05:38 AM
coowoowoo wrote:
> Yep, forgotten the undies once. Then, like. Lotte, made a stockpile in
> the locker only to find that i had slowly used them so hence got caught
> out again.
> I was found loitering around best and less at 9.00am waiting to buy a
> pair of undies. It was very "airy" wandering around town.

I've got a variation on the forgotten undies story. Many years ago, I
arrived at work early in the morning (first in the office) and walked
past an old ratty pair of yellow jocks on the floor. I was wondering who
the hell left them there when I realised they looked kind of familiar.
They were the desperate-last-measures-absolutely-must-do-some-washing
jocks I would very ocasionally wear under my nix (before I realised you
don't do that with nix). They must have fallen out of my bag as I was
leaving the previous night. The cleaners had obviously cleaned around
them, and anyone left in the office had ignored them. Luckily there was
nobody around so I could scoop them into my bag without anyone noticing.
I think if there was an office full of people I would have ignored them
too. I wonder how long they might have been left there if I didn't pick
them up.

DaveB

LotteBum
October 24th 05, 05:41 AM
Coowoowoo wrote:

Oh, and i am quite well endowed in that department so apparently it was
quite the show for them. Sigh.....

Ah look, now you've done it! TimC, close your eyes!

LotteBum

--
LotteBum

Bleve
October 24th 05, 06:28 AM
cfsmtb wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >

> > Cotton socks, eh?
> >
> > Old ski-touring adage : "cotton kills".
>
> Nah, Explorers.

They'd be ok wet, I'd have thought? Having hiked rather a lot
in them, in a lot of mud, they were pretty good.

Dee Dub
October 24th 05, 06:40 AM
I've gone commando in various ways over the years (socks/jocks). Have a
well drilled routine now to make sure everything gets packed first, but
still slip up every now and then.

Slightly diverging to RIDING attire, I used to ride in a pretty quick
bunch in the late 80s. I remember being joined one day by a young lad,
only a few months on a bike and had been referred to the group. Blue
nicks and singlet were really not acceptable, but much leniancy was
shown to the precocious talent.

He rode away from most of us on the last climb - he'd never seen it
before. He wondered where everyone else was. (Out the back)

He signed a pro contract within 18 mths with a top level Euro team.

Coloured lycra had made it in the pro-peleton by then, if not the
Adelaide Hills.

Dee Dub

--
Dee Dub

coowoowoo
October 24th 05, 06:57 AM
LotteBum Wrote:
> Coowoowoo wrote:
>
> Oh, and i am quite well endowed in that department so apparently it was
> quite the show for them. Sigh.....
>
> Ah look, now you've done it! TimC, close your eyes!
>
> LotteBum

Oh, but it got worse. They wanted me to stop at cafe racer to have a
hot cupofcino to warm up. Sadly for them and the other 40 odd blokes
who would have been sitting there, bugeyed and slack jawed.....i
declined...My scrape of dignity and i pedalled home hoping no else i
knew saw me.

Dave, i am totally paranoid about dropping my undies and bra anywhere
in the office for that exact reason that you have described. Lucky no
one was around to see you pick them up.. They must have been very bad
for the cleaners to go around them etc. It's hilarous now but maybe not
so at the time.

There are loads of tales of woe that cyclists can tell but sometimes
its these little fun wardrobe malfunctions that just add more mirth and
fun to the whole cycling game. They always make for great bbq
stories....

--
coowoowoo

TimC
October 24th 05, 07:01 AM
On 2005-10-24, LotteBum (aka Bruce)

> Coowoowoo wrote:
>
> Oh, and i am quite well endowed in that department so apparently it was
> quite the show for them. Sigh.....
>
> Ah look, now you've done it! TimC, close your eyes!

What? You implying something? :)

--
TimC
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.

dave
October 24th 05, 08:48 AM
DaveB wrote:
> Russell Lang wrote:
>
>> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
>> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>>
>> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
>> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
>> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
>> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
>> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
>> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
>> shorts all day at work.
>>
>> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
>> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
>> the clothes he needed except for underwear.
>>

> One of my co-workers forgot his shoes and for some reason thought going
> barefoot was a better idea than wearing his bike shoes around the
> office. He certainly got a few strange looks that day.
>
> DaveB

DId exactly this today. And your problem is?

cfsmtb
October 24th 05, 08:53 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> They'd be ok wet, I'd have thought? Having hiked rather a lot
> in them, in a lot of mud, they were pretty good.

Well, that's what I believed as well, after considerable bushwalking
experience. But *That Day* the explorers certainly didn't do the job.
Commuting to work in a deluge and then walking around in wet
socks/boots on concrete floors & a high wind chill factor on the
waterfront was truly horrid. Another sock anecdote (but non-cycling)
was a friend who lived in Rum Jungle just out of Darwin. He mused that
during the monsoon season he would happily shell out $200 for a pair of
dry, white socks.... :D

--
cfsmtb

Beavers
October 24th 05, 02:11 PM
"Russell Lang" > wrote in message
> Any one else got some stories about turning up on bicycle
> and not having the right things for the occasion?
>
> I once pulled the moleskin trousers off my shelf, packed
> them into my backpack and rode to work. Once at work
> I went to change, only to discover that they weren't my
> trousers, they were my wife's moleskin jeans.
> I may have fitted into them, but I don't think the cut
> would have suited me :-) I ended up wearing my
> shorts all day at work.
>
> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

I keep trousers and shoes at my workplace (a school). The worst occasion I
had was getting to work, discovering I had not taken a shirt, and then
realising I was interviewing a job applicant. Special, desperate pleading
with the wife to bring a shirt over (27 km) worked. Any other day and it
wouldn't have mattered; my jersey was a relatively plain one, although
fairly bright red.

Beaver

hippy
October 24th 05, 06:41 PM
Russell Lang Wrote:

> I read another story on the Net about a guy who commenced
> cycling to work, and on his first day discovered he had all
> the clothes he needed except for underwear.

It's funny - I had a spare pair of undies at work for ~4 years that
remained untouched! I forgot to take a towel to the gym showers a few
times. I think I put cycling gear back on, walked back to the office to
grab the towel and then back to the gym to shower again.
If it was hot, I'd probably just drip dry.
If I knew I'd forgotten it before I was wet, I'd buy a towel from the
gym.

Our office was cool in that we could get away with bare feet, shorts,
t-shirt.

Most annoying was having a token-op shower stop just after lathering
up, in Germany. Had to nudie run over to the hand-basins and splash
myself with water until rinsed. I hate token-operated showers!

hippy

--
hippy

Bleve
October 25th 05, 12:37 AM
cfsmtb wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > They'd be ok wet, I'd have thought? Having hiked rather a lot
> > in them, in a lot of mud, they were pretty good.
>

> Well, that's what I believed as well, after considerable bushwalking
> experience. But *That Day* the explorers certainly didn't do the job.
> Commuting to work in a deluge and then walking around in wet
> socks/boots on concrete floors & a high wind chill factor on the
> waterfront was truly horrid. Another sock anecdote (but non-cycling)
> was a friend who lived in Rum Jungle just out of Darwin. He mused that
> during the monsoon season he would happily shell out $200 for a pair of
> dry, white socks.... :D

heh, yeah. Windchill would do it. I'm a big fan of coolmax socks
these days. I use 'em for bushwalking, xc ski-ing, riding ... they
dry quick and are comfy and warm when wet.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home