PDA

View Full Version : 953 - Stainless & 1000gm frame

PiledHigher
October 24th 05, 02:27 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/shows/australia05/?id=results/australia051

--
PiledHigher

Bleve
October 24th 05, 02:47 AM
PiledHigher wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/shows/australia05/?id=results/australia051

You crusty old farts never give up, do you? :)

Bleve
October 24th 05, 02:51 AM
Had a close look at the BB joins? Is Baum giving that frame a 3 hour
warranty? :)

ritcho
October 24th 05, 03:09 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> PiledHigher wrote:
> > http://tinyurl.com/8vlfm
> >

> You crusty old farts never give up, do you? :)

I don't know how traditional it is...

Light, Durable, Cheap: choose any two - this frame might be 1 and 2,
but it ain't cheap! The steel-is-real camp seems to prefer 2 and 3.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Gemma_k
October 24th 05, 03:18 AM
"PiledHigher" > wrote in
message ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/shows/australia05/?id=results/australia051

bugger that - what about this for a track bike! (I want one!)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/shows/australia05/?id=australia051/DSCN2960

flyingdutch
October 24th 05, 03:52 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> Had a close look at the BB joins? Is Baum giving that frame a 3 hour
> warranty? :)

I think i have found my (next) new frame, altho I'm betting others will
do it cheaper than BAUM ($4k wtf?)

Jealousy is a curse, Mr Plastic-fantastic :)

--
flyingdutch

PiledHigher
October 24th 05, 03:56 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> PiledHigher wrote:
> > http://tinyurl.com/8vlfm
> >

> You crusty old farts never give up, do you? :)

I'm surprised you don't have plastic wheels to match your plastic
frame....

--
PiledHigher

BrettS
October 24th 05, 04:15 AM
Bleve wrote:
> Had a close look at the BB joins? Is Baum giving that frame a 3 hour
> warranty? :)

No, apparently it's a 1-2 warranty. Once you ride it it's too bad ;-)

--
BrettS

cogcontrol
October 24th 05, 04:25 AM
ritcho Wrote:
> I don't know how traditional it is...
>
> Light, Durable, Cheap: choose any two - this frame might be 1 and 2,
> but it ain't cheap! The steel-is-real camp seems to prefer 2 and 3.
>
> Ritch
Yes a steel frame will be heavier than a comparable quality frame from
other materials, but...........

The campaign to sell light weight relies heavily on the misleading
practice of comparing frame weights and converting the difference to a
percentage—this frame is 30 percent lighter than that one, and so on.
Consider: A 1.27kg carbon fiber frame is 35 percent lighter than a
1.93kg steel frame. That 35 percent sounds like a lot, but you can’t
ride a frame. Add 7.7kg of parts to each frame to make them bikes, and
now the difference (9.64kg vs 8.98kg) shrinks to 7 percent. But what’s
a bike without a rider? Add a say 77kg rider, and now the difference
(86.7kg vs 186.1kg) is just three quarters of one percent—and you give
up longevity and pay a s++t load of $$ to get it.

CC

--
cogcontrol

suzyj
October 24th 05, 04:34 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/shows/australia05/?id=results/australia051

The later pics are of a Ti bike.

I'm not totally convinced about 953, from what I've heard so far, it's
pretty hard to work with, unless you buy it in an annealed state, then
do your own heat treating, and doesn't do anything that Ti can't. I've
also heard conflicting reports about whether it can be fillet brazed or
soldered into lugs.

If I see it silver soldered into some nice stainless lugs, then I'll
get excited.

Cheers,

Suzy (grumpy old cow who likes steel bikes)

--
suzyj

Bleve
October 24th 05, 05:31 AM
PiledHigher wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > PiledHigher wrote:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/8vlfm
> > >

> > You crusty old farts never give up, do you? :)
>
> I'm surprised you don't have plastic wheels to match your plastic
> frame....

They're inflatable!

ritcho
October 24th 05, 06:49 AM
cogcontrol Wrote:
> Yes a steel frame will be heavier than a comparable quality frame from
> other materials, but...........
>
> The campaign to sell light weight relies heavily on the misleading
> practice of comparing frame weights and converting the difference to a
> percentage—this frame is 30 percent lighter than that one, and so on.
> Consider: A 1.27kg carbon fiber frame is 35 percent lighter than a
> 1.93kg steel frame. That 35 percent sounds like a lot, but you can’t
> ride a frame. Add 7.7kg of parts to each frame to make them bikes, and
> now the difference (9.64kg vs 8.98kg) shrinks to 7 percent. But what’s
> a bike without a rider? Add a say 77kg rider, and now the difference
> (86.7kg vs 186.1kg) is just three quarters of one percent—and you give
> up longevity and pay a s++t load of $$ to get it.
>

> CC

I tried a few numbers in www.analyticcycling.com, in the 'less weight
on hill' link. It seems that less weight on hill (cet. par) gets you up
the hill faster in every configuration of less weight, positive slope.

If people miscalculate the actual benefit, then that is not the
marketer's fault. It is also not the marketer's fault if the
recreational cyclist thinks they have the same needs as a professional
racer.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Bleve
October 24th 05, 07:44 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > Had a close look at the BB joins? Is Baum giving that frame a 3 hour
> > warranty? :)
>
> I think i have found my (next) new frame, altho I'm betting others will
> do it cheaper than BAUM ($4k wtf?)
>
> Jealousy is a curse, Mr Plastic-fantastic :)

My plastic is fantastic!

crusty old fart ... show us yer oxides!

aeek
October 24th 05, 01:15 PM

'now this is beautiful' (http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboolarge.shtml)

--
aeek

slaw
October 25th 05, 03:51 AM
aeek Wrote:
> 'now this is beautiful' (http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboolarge.shtml)
Even nicer in tandem form:

http://tinyurl.com/dmah3

--
slaw

geoffs
October 25th 05, 07:03 AM
slaw Wrote:
> Even nicer in tandem form:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/dmah3

so long as the termites don't attack it.

For a lightweight tandem frame Paketa are making a magnesium frame that
weighs only 2.5kg. A complete, rideable tandem has been put together
that only weighed 11.2 kg. This was recently ridden to first place at
the HHH in the US in a time of 4hr 10 min. The link is 'here'
(http://www.precisiontandems.com/linkframes.htm) towards the bottom of
the page.

Cheers

Geoff

--
geoffs

suzyj
October 25th 05, 08:25 AM
aeek wrote:

> 'now this is beautiful'
(http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboolarge.shtml)

Oh man, that bike is so gorgeous. That's one of the nicest things I've
ever seen. I want one!

Cheers,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Humbug
October 25th 05, 02:23 PM
On 25/10/05 at 17:25:00 suzyj somehow managed to type:

> aeek wrote:
>
> > 'now this is beautiful'
> (http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboolarge.shtml)
>
> Oh man, that bike is so gorgeous. That's one of the nicest things
> I've ever seen. I want one!

Ooooohhhhh Little Fish Bamboo and CF. I dare ya...:-)

--
Humbug

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home