PDA

View Full Version : HRM recommendations

BruceA
October 24th 05, 02:46 AM
Can anyone recommend a cheap HRM (less than $100), that is reasonable
quality?
I probably don't need alot of functions. Mainly just my current HR, and an
audible warning when I stray outside a percentage range of my max HR would
be helpful. I want to use it to try and maximise the usefulness of my
training sessions. Currently I haven't got a clue what my max HR and normal
training HR is and I suspect that I typically train in my 'no mans land'
heart rate range.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

BruceA

DaveB
October 24th 05, 03:07 AM
BruceA wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cheap HRM (less than $100), that is reasonable
> quality?
> I probably don't need alot of functions. Mainly just my current HR, and an
> audible warning when I stray outside a percentage range of my max HR would
> be helpful. I want to use it to try and maximise the usefulness of my
> training sessions. Currently I haven't got a clue what my max HR and normal
> training HR is and I suspect that I typically train in my 'no mans land'
> heart rate range.
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> BruceA

The low end Polar HRM's are under $100, although from memory if you want
it as watch as well it is a bit over $100 (HRM only under $100).

DaveB

Bleve
October 24th 05, 03:08 AM
Try these guys :

http://www.dickinson.com.au/

I haven't bought anything from them, but they're cheap and are in
Melbourne.

Bleve
October 24th 05, 03:09 AM
a better URL for them :

http://www.dickinson.com.au/prices/polar.asp

JH
October 24th 05, 03:20 AM
BruceA wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cheap HRM (less than $100), that is reasonable
> quality?
> I probably don't need alot of functions. Mainly just my current HR, and an
> audible warning when I stray outside a percentage range of my max HR would
> be helpful. I want to use it to try and maximise the usefulness of my
> training sessions. Currently I haven't got a clue what my max HR and normal
> training HR is and I suspect that I typically train in my 'no mans land'
> heart rate range.
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> BruceA

This is not a recommendation a (as I have never seen or used them) but
mentioned on tri forum I read was this:

http://www.aldi.com.au/product_03/product_4218.html

Probably just a personal thing but the beeping when you get out of a
target range drives me nuts, used it for a couple of sessions when I got
my first HRM.

jh

dej
October 24th 05, 03:22 AM
"BruceA" > wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a cheap HRM (less than $100), that is reasonable
> quality?
> I probably don't need alot of functions. Mainly just my current HR, and
> an audible warning when I stray outside a percentage range of my max HR
> would be helpful. I want to use it to try and maximise the usefulness of
> my training sessions. Currently I haven't got a clue what my max HR and
> normal training HR is and I suspect that I typically train in my 'no mans
> land' heart rate range.
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> BruceA

The following co sell the older models a bit cheaper..You may get something
pretty good..
http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/polar/html/local/polar_superseded_models.html

I bought an accurex plus a while back from them, fast delivery etc and no
hassles.

SuzieB
October 24th 05, 04:27 AM
DaveB Wrote:

> The low end Polar HRM's are under $100, although from memory if you
> want
> it as watch as well it is a bit over $100 (HRM only under $100).
>
> DaveB
If you get a Polar for cycling training I'd recommend a bike mount as
it saves you have to look at your wrist to see what your heart rate is
doing (and then you can turn off the annoying beeping).

http://tinyurl.com/azaha

--
SuzieB

Bleve
October 24th 05, 06:25 AM
SuzieB wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
> >
> > The low end Polar HRM's are under $100, although from memory if you
> > want
> > it as watch as well it is a bit over $100 (HRM only under $100).
> >
> > DaveB
> If you get a Polar for cycling training I'd recommend a bike mount as
> it saves you have to look at your wrist to see what your heart rate is
> doing (and then you can turn off the annoying beeping).

If you don't want to spring the extra $20 or so, I've seen
old 70's terrytowling sweatbands wrapped around handlebars
and used as fake wrists to put a HRM around.

BruceA
October 24th 05, 07:29 AM
"Bleve" wrote

snip

>> If you get a Polar for cycling training I'd recommend a bike mount as
>> it saves you have to look at your wrist to see what your heart rate is
>> doing (and then you can turn off the annoying beeping).
>
> If you don't want to spring the extra $20 or so, I've seen
> old 70's terrytowling sweatbands wrapped around handlebars
> and used as fake wrists to put a HRM around.

Ha, what a cool idea :) Now all I need to do is find a 70's sweatband,
preferably one of them red, white and blue striped ones!

I am getting the impression that the 'outside range' beeping thing is more
annoying than it's worth! Perhaps I wont bother with this feature.

Thanks all for suggestions so far.

Bruce(thump thump)A

DaveB
October 24th 05, 07:40 AM
BruceA wrote:

> I am getting the impression that the 'outside range' beeping thing is more
> annoying than it's worth! Perhaps I wont bother with this feature.

Generally I find it a pain but thee are definitely times I like this
feature. Long runs (sorry FD) are one example where I want to keep my HR
below a certain level. I also use it in triathlons to help keep at a
sustainable level in the bike so that I'm capable of running. The rest
of the time I use it I don't need the beep because I can usually tell
roughly where my HR is at and just use the HRM for confirmation.

DaveB

TimC
October 24th 05, 10:34 AM
On 2005-10-24, JH (aka Bruce)
> This is not a recommendation a (as I have never seen or used them) but
> mentioned on tri forum I read was this:
>
> http://www.aldi.com.au/product_03/product_4218.html

Intersting.

I got a cheap cycle computer for my touring bike. "Atech". Same case
design and LCD display style.

Indeed, when I look at it at an angle, I see that heart symbol.

I wonder if I could hack into mine and enable that EL-backlight
feature, and connect a couple of wires and have a HRM? :)

Anyway. Mine came very cheaply, and the reason is because it has crap
firmware.

1/3 of the time, when you reset the trip counter, it resets
everything, then starts only counting with time, with your average
speed and distance staying a constant 0. You have to reset again when
this happens. Pity, because having all the quantities displayed at
once is a nifty feature.

--
TimC
> Bugger you guys.
> The babelfish is idempotent on the set above.
I'm afraid that isn't a very good pickup line either, Tim. - MaryG

Beanzy
October 24th 05, 10:43 AM
"BruceA" > wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a cheap HRM (less than $100), that is reasonable
> quality?
> I probably don't need alot of functions. Mainly just my current HR, and
> an audible warning when I stray outside a percentage range of my max HR
> would be helpful. I want to use it to try and maximise the usefulness of
> my training sessions. Currently I haven't got a clue what my max HR and
> normal training HR is and I suspect that I typically train in my 'no mans
> land' heart rate range.
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> BruceA

I bought a polar s150 on ebay from the states for about $130 including
postage. It has the bike mount included.

Cheers

Matt

MD
October 24th 05, 02:57 PM
"Bleve" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Try these guys :
>
> http://www.dickinson.com.au/
>
> I haven't bought anything from them, but they're cheap and are in
> Melbourne.

Lightning quick service.
On both occurrences items shipped same day as early afternoon order,
received next morning in Sydney.
Also were cheapest prices after extensive searches.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home