PDA

View Full Version : Hubs for 'bents

David M
October 26th 05, 03:12 AM
I'm looking for a pair of hubs, or even built 20" wheels for a
homebuilt tadpole trike. My constraints are (1) that I'm on a bit of a
budget, (2) I don't have ready access to a lathe to modify hubs and (3)
that I want to brake with them, either disks or drums.

So, whats the best strategy to get these hubs or wheels? I'm in
Perth...

TIA
David M

Bleve
October 26th 05, 05:06 AM
David M wrote:
> I'm looking for a pair of hubs, or even built 20" wheels for a
> homebuilt tadpole trike. My constraints are (1) that I'm on a bit of a
> budget, (2) I don't have ready access to a lathe to modify hubs and (3)
> that I want to brake with them, either disks or drums.
>
> So, whats the best strategy to get these hubs or wheels? I'm in
> Perth...

If you're not adverse to STD phonecalls, try calling
Paul Simms from Greenspeed (or send them an email,
www.greenspeed.com.au)
or Peter from Cycle Science (www.cyclescience.com.au). They both
build 'bents and will be happy to help.

They may even lend you a beard and some long socks.

David M
October 26th 05, 07:58 AM
Bleve wrote:

> If you're not adverse to STD phonecalls, try calling

Thanks, I shall do just that. Without a recommendation I feel a bit
wierd calling a bike builder for advice on a homebuilt...

> They may even lend you a beard and some long socks.

haha...when i came up with this idea last week, my wife almost fainted.
I'm sure she has the mental image that you've conjured up. Especially
when I started drawing the design (AutoCAD) using exhaust pipe, an old
steel mountain bike I've got, and whatever I already have in the shed.

Cheers
David M

DD
October 26th 05, 10:04 AM
David M wrote:

> So, whats the best strategy to get these hubs or wheels? I'm in
> Perth...

I suppose that you've already looked on the www.ihpva.org website and
also the various pages linked from Timothy Smith's website
http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/home.htm (TAS recumbent rider and
long time tinkler).

You can also ask Aldo at Quantum Cycles but Fleur wouldn't forgive you
for delaying Aldo one minute longer in finishing her
2-years-in-the-making recumbent. So ask Martin at the LogoTrikes
recumbent factory in Bibra Lake. He's there on Sundays.

Otherwise sometimes these hubs turn up on E-bay.

I know that there's a good wheelchair sitting on the Henderson Rd
rubbish tip, the wheels can be reused for a trike with a bit of
adjustment. Some of the local tip operators even have a recycling bay
where they've rescued stuff to resell cheaply.

Most of the verge pickups have been done by now and you've to be fast
for these anyway, there's an organised crowd how scour the verges when
these are on (hint: lots of large rental trailers patrolling).

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home