PDA

View Full Version : while we're on a cheering everyone up mission ....

Bleve
October 26th 05, 06:06 AM
Boorondara council are making a ramp down to the Yarra Trail from
behind the guide dog school (intersection of yarra foolevard and the
Chander Hwy). Prior to this, one could either dismount and carry one's
bicycle down to the path along a set of steps, or ride down a grass
bank (which is where the ramp is going) behind the guide dog school. I
found this out last night when trying to ride down the bank, only to be
blocked by a construction fence - my worst suspicions were dashed by
the good news! The council has put a sign there explaining what
they're doing.

It looks like the council (or whoever it is that advises the council?
FD? Is this your BUG?) has been paying attention to what actually
happens (everyone rides down the grass bank, eroding it into a dirt
path, slippery & dangerous when wet) and is building a path where "we"
want it to be!

Good one!

If whoever is responsible for the grassy area infront of Jeff's shed
would also pay attention, that'd be a good thing too ... Where there's
eroded paths obviously created by a lot of bikes, it makes sense to
pave!

GPLama
October 26th 05, 06:15 AM
> Boorondara council are making a ramp down to the Yarra Trail from
> behind the guide dog school (intersection of yarra foolevard and the
> Chander Hwy).

I saw this begin late last week.. though IMHO they should have built it on
the other side of the bridge.. would have saved having to cross that **** of
a road to get to the blvd... maybe they'll hot-mix the dodgy 'path' though
the trees on the other side when they are done? fingers crossed!

cheers,
GPL

TimC
October 26th 05, 07:42 AM
On 2005-10-26, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> Boorondara council are making a ramp down to the Yarra Trail from
> behind the guide dog school (intersection of yarra foolevard and the
> Chander Hwy). Prior to this, one could either dismount and carry one's
> bicycle down to the path along a set of steps, or ride down a grass
> bank (which is where the ramp is going) behind the guide dog school. I
> found this out last night when trying to ride down the bank, only to be
> blocked by a construction fence - my worst suspicions were dashed by
> the good news! The council has put a sign there explaining what
> they're doing.

Happening already, eh?

> It looks like the council (or whoever it is that advises the council?
> FD? Is this your BUG?) has been paying attention to what actually
> happens (everyone rides down the grass bank, eroding it into a dirt
> path, slippery & dangerous when wet) and is building a path where "we"
> want it to be!

Thanks BBUG! :)

--
TimC
It's the _target_ that supposed to go "F00F", not the processor.

Shabby
October 26th 05, 08:03 AM
http://www.cafepress.com/chickenhead/473210

More to do with cheering up than anything constructive.....

--
Shabby

Marx SS
October 26th 05, 08:04 AM
Nothing like a paved path right up to a road intersection, makes waiting
to cross worth it all.

The dirt trail down from the Boolie to the end of the yarra path at the
concrete steps (from the Yarra Bend end) will have to do for now.

--
Marx SS

flyingdutch
October 26th 05, 08:30 AM
Yes, believe it or not Dutchy (and cohorts at BBUG) do more than sit on
aus.bicycle all day avoiding that looming deadline :D:D:D

This came about when we recently met with council and they outlined
their intended use of the $250k bike funding in their 05/06 budget

The work at the top of the hill (Trail between Bedford and Orchard near
Kew golfcourse) was agreed upon however the intended work where the path
enters Willsmere Reserve was basically going to undo the recent
(12-18mths ago) work done to realign the path leading up to Willow
Grove. Previously this had been a straight friggin fast downhill narrow
path with many accidents especially involving peds.
We recommended they leave it as is!
This obviously meant council then had cash to spend elsewhere.
We suggested they look at The "GuideDogsPath" or as 'we' like to call
it,
The "Leong Link" in honour of the member whose concept it was
originally.

As works in Frog Hollow Reserve path realignment/works had been delayed
due to a few factors and the works guys had machinery sitting there
doing nothing Council suggested a site meeting to discuss what might be
possible.
I think it was 2-3 Friday's ago I played hooky on a Friday arvo (heck,
Im the boss!) and went along.
Their original idea involved doing a basic 1.5m bikepath where the
current works are going down. They also wanted to redo the skanky
vehicle track close to the bridge.
I suggested they do both at the same time. IE build a vehicle grade 3m
path. Works guys' eyes lit up as they realised it wlould be easier,
cheaper, less gradient (the other track is a bitch for the lawnmowing
vehicle in the wet apparently...)

So, from 3 weeks to suggestion to (near) completion, BINGO!
I'm still a bit gob-smacked by this.

Compliments of BBUG, and it has to be said, Jim Hondrakis at Council
who is our new contact and generally very attentive, efficient,
open-minded and downright nice guy.

Moral of the story. Join your BUG. Whineing does nuffin.
It wont happen overnight, but it will happen. cfsmtb can back me up
here.
Her setup and results in Yarra make me jealous. But i get a good ride
to th CBD cos of her hardyards :D:D:D

PS BBUG also lobbied ParksVic to re-do the goattrack on the west side
refer:
http://www.boroondarabug.org/other_resources/ChandlerRiverpath_diagram_2.pdf

BV got 500 sigs to Thwaites for more funding. Our little BUG got 200+
We stood at the top of em 70 steps and asked herniated/puce riders to
sign letters to Thwaitsey

As a result ParksVic, or more particularly YarraBendTrust who manage
that area, recieved $25k for the design/scoping to build the Orange and
red lines in that pdf, hopefully in the following financial year.

Oh and then there's the 'missing link' between Warrigal Rd and Solway
bridge along the Gardiners Creek, but morenews on that as things are
confirmed

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

--
flyingdutch

NoZX6R
October 26th 05, 08:34 AM
Bleve wrote:
<snip>

> (everyone rides down the grass bank, eroding it into a dirt
> path, slippery & dangerous when wet) and is building a path where "we"
> want it to be!

I've always liked riding down there. I spose it might be dangerous for
the inexperienced but I never thought of it as hazardous. Although once
or twice I've nearly knackered myself on unanticipated bumps :)

I guess unless they put fences there or something, there will always be
mtbers making there own trails around there.

I reckon they should move the stupid ped crossing lights up to the
boulevard and make that a controlled intersection.

--
Nick

flyingdutch
October 26th 05, 08:44 AM
NoZX6R Wrote:

> I guess unless they put fences there or something, there will always
> be
> mtbers making there own trails around there.

That's how the westside 'goat-track' came about. First thing ParksVic
kne wabout it was when they got a call from a lawyer asking who his
client should send the statement of claim to, due to her recent
accident down 'their new path' :rolleyes.
The current incarnation is ParksVic shortterm solutio to try and clean
it up a bit. Hence the soon to be re-do

NoZX6R Wrote:

> I reckon they should move the stupid ped crossing lights up to the
> boulevard and make that a controlled intersection.

Don't start me!
Vicroads wont do it because apparently it would 'impede the flow of
traffic exiting the freeway'. Besides, the current scenario where you
ahve to wait for 2 separate sets of lights to get across the road
'works_really_well' :rolleyes:

--
flyingdutch

Gags
October 26th 05, 11:38 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> NoZX6R Wrote:
> >
> > I guess unless they put fences there or something, there will always
> > be
> > mtbers making there own trails around there.
>
> That's how the westside 'goat-track' came about. First thing ParksVic
> kne wabout it was when they got a call from a lawyer asking who his
> client should send the statement of claim to, due to her recent
> accident down 'their new path' :rolleyes.
> The current incarnation is ParksVic shortterm solutio to try and clean
> it up a bit. Hence the soon to be re-do

That "goat track" is the most fun I have on the way home. I generally get
some air right at the start where the track drops off from the side of the
Boulevard and then do a couple of little hops on the anti erosion steps so
that I land back wheel first after them. The right hander at the bottom
with the tree just waiting on the outside of the corner for me to stuff up
is the most fun.......I generally go around here right on the edge of
traction (some front and rear wheel slippage) and then I glance at my speedo
just before I hit the concrete path again to see what sort of speed I
managed to hold. I am usually around the 43km/h mark although the fastest I
have seen is 47km/h on a day that I very nearly collected the tree!!! I
will have to wear my HRM one day to see how high my HR goes up due to the
adrenalin rush.

The other alternative that I do occasionally for a bit of a laugh is to ride
down all the stairs. There must be 7 or 8 flights of about 10 or so steps
with a couple of metres of flat ground between each flight. The stairs are
not all in a straight line either so you have to go pretty slow to make some
of the corners. You also have to look out for walkers coming up the stairs.

Does anyone know what they are doing to the section that comes down from the
golf course at the moment....earlier in the week I had to detour via the
tunnel under the freeway a couple of times??

Ride On,

Gags

GPLama
October 26th 05, 12:33 PM
> Does anyone know what they are doing to the section that comes down from
> the
> golf course at the moment....earlier in the week I had to detour via the
> tunnel under the freeway a couple of times??

looks like new path, maybe a little wider too... I hit this heading back
into the city tonight from work - some sign up saying the path is closed for
a week..

cheers,
GPL

Resound
October 26th 05, 02:23 PM
"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
> "flyingdutch" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> NoZX6R Wrote:
>> >
>> > I guess unless they put fences there or something, there will always
>> > be
>> > mtbers making there own trails around there.
>>
>> That's how the westside 'goat-track' came about. First thing ParksVic
>> kne wabout it was when they got a call from a lawyer asking who his
>> client should send the statement of claim to, due to her recent
>> accident down 'their new path' :rolleyes.
>> The current incarnation is ParksVic shortterm solutio to try and clean
>> it up a bit. Hence the soon to be re-do
>>

> That "goat track" is the most fun I have on the way home. I generally get
> some air right at the start where the track drops off from the side of the
> Boulevard and then do a couple of little hops on the anti erosion steps so
> that I land back wheel first after them. The right hander at the bottom
> with the tree just waiting on the outside of the corner for me to stuff up
> is the most fun.......I generally go around here right on the edge of
> traction (some front and rear wheel slippage) and then I glance at my
> speedo
> just before I hit the concrete path again to see what sort of speed I
> managed to hold. I am usually around the 43km/h mark although the fastest
> have seen is 47km/h on a day that I very nearly collected the tree!!! I
> will have to wear my HRM one day to see how high my HR goes up due to the
> adrenalin rush.
>
> The other alternative that I do occasionally for a bit of a laugh is to
> ride
> down all the stairs. There must be 7 or 8 flights of about 10 or so steps
> with a couple of metres of flat ground between each flight. The stairs
> are
> not all in a straight line either so you have to go pretty slow to make
> some
> of the corners. You also have to look out for walkers coming up the
> stairs.
>
> Does anyone know what they are doing to the section that comes down from
> the
> golf course at the moment....earlier in the week I had to detour via the
> tunnel under the freeway a couple of times??
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags

You're making me want a MTB again.

*******.

flyingdutch
October 26th 05, 10:03 PM
GPLama Wrote:

> looks like new path, maybe a little wider too... I hit this heading
> back
> into the city tonight from work - some sign up saying the path is
> closed for
> a week..
>

> cheers,
> GPL

Yep, new surface and wider. Also will remove the nastee lil' slope
coming down to the Road (quite a few nastee accidents apparently)

Re mtb'ing. hoping to meet with YarraBendTrust some time to see if we
cant get some 'formal' tracks in place thru the parklands. IE tracks
left alone and more pro riders, allowing other tracks for the walkers
and riders getting their own space

--
flyingdutch

Bleve
October 27th 05, 01:08 AM
NoZX6R wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > (everyone rides down the grass bank, eroding it into a dirt
> > path, slippery & dangerous when wet) and is building a path where "we"
> > want it to be!
> >
> I've always liked riding down there. I spose it might be dangerous for
> the inexperienced but I never thought of it as hazardous.

Have you tried it in the wet, at night, on a roadbike?

Bleve
October 27th 05, 01:30 AM
Shabby wrote:
> http://www.cafepress.com/chickenhead/473210
>
> More to do with cheering up than anything constructive.....

They forgot these ones :

"I shoot and I Vtoe"

and

"I have sex with goats, and I vote"

(somehow, having a vote makes whatever you do ok!)

Resound
October 27th 05, 02:36 AM
"Bleve" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> NoZX6R wrote:
>> Bleve wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> > (everyone rides down the grass bank, eroding it into a dirt
>> > path, slippery & dangerous when wet) and is building a path where "we"
>> > want it to be!
>> >
>> I've always liked riding down there. I spose it might be dangerous for
>> the inexperienced but I never thought of it as hazardous.
>

> Have you tried it in the wet, at night, on a roadbike?

Flirt

Shabby
October 27th 05, 04:16 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> Compliments of BBUG, and it has to be said, *** ********* at Council who
> is our new contact and generally very attentive, efficient, open-minded
> and downright nice guy.

Lets not be helping the guy lose his job just becasue he's done you a
favour. It sounds like he may have bypassed some systems, engineering
reports, protocol, council rules to help you out if it all happened in
3 weeks. Let it go quietly, then in 10 years they can survey the area
and say "this wasn't included on the plans".

Thanks him muchly, buy him some beer from the BUG (deliver it to his
house, not his office, for convenience of course), then speak to him
next time something needs doing....

--
Shabby

flyingdutch
October 27th 05, 05:15 AM
Shabby Wrote:
> Lets not be helping the guy lose his job just becasue he's done you a
> favour. It sounds like he may have bypassed some systems, engineering
> reports, protocol, council rules to help you out if it all happened in
> 3 weeks. Let it go quietly, then in 10 years they can survey the area
> and say "this wasn't included on the plans".
>
> Thanks him muchly, buy him some beer from the BUG (deliver it to his
> house, not his office, for convenience of course), then speak to him
> next time something needs doing....

nah. engineer's report done. Just got people together and they all
worked in parallel for the same result. Altho i hear there is a new
brew coming out soon, so perhaps I'll buy him one of them :D:D:D

--
flyingdutch

sinus
October 27th 05, 05:37 AM
Bleve Wrote:

> "I shoot and I Vtoe"

"I'm dyslexicicic and I Vtoe"

--
sinus

A5Hi5M
October 27th 05, 03:27 PM
"sinus" > wrote in message

> Bleve Wrote:
>>

>> "I shoot and I Vtoe"
>>

> "I'm dyslexicicic and I Vtoe"
>

> --
> sinus

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

SteveA
October 27th 05, 04:04 PM
A5Hi5M Wrote:
> "sinus" > wrote in message
> >
> > Bleve Wrote:
> >>

> >> "I shoot and I Vtoe"
> >>

> > "I'm dyslexicicic and I Vtoe"
> >

> > --
> > sinus
> >

> Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

It is not funny to pick on dyslexics. Dog will get you for this.

SteveA

--
SteveA

flyingdutch
October 27th 05, 09:40 PM
A5Hi5M Wrote:

> Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

stop it! Im crying (from too much laughter) :D:D:D:D :rolleyes:

--
flyingdutch

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home